pixeltracker

The Future of Movie Musicals & Film Adaptations of Musicals- Page 3

The Future of Movie Musicals & Film Adaptations of Musicals

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#50The Future of Movie Musicals & Film Adaptations of Musicals
Posted: 2/8/16 at 9:27am

^That was reported in The Sun, do you really expect any of their stories to be true?

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#51The Future of Movie Musicals & Film Adaptations of Musicals
Posted: 2/8/16 at 11:12am

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "^That was reported in The Sun, do you really expect any of their stories to be true?"

I don't.  But we can have some fun with the outrage of the "close-ups".  Maybe it will be filmed like it was one long singular take.  But, really? Meryl Streep again - this time as Grizzabella?  And, why Russell Crowe as the Rum Tum Tugger?  NPH as Mr. Misstofeles?  and Idris Elba as Old Deuteronomy?

perfectliar
#52The Future of Movie Musicals & Film Adaptations of Musicals
Posted: 2/8/16 at 2:48pm

hork said: "Jeffrey and perfectliar - It's adorable that you think winning a Best Director Oscar is necessarily an indication of talent. Hooper and Attenborough really aren't very well respected among film scholars, and I personally think they're terrible directors (I haven't liked any of their movies). At least Columbus made Only the Lonely, but he's pretty terrible, too. All three made dreadful Broadway adaptations."

You must know this already considering you're a film scholar, but not only did Attenborough win an Oscar and the DGA award (which is given out by fellow directors), but he also was President of the BAFTA and has a film studio stage named after him where the new Star Wars was filmed. How can you think he isn't/wasn't well-respected? Condescend all you want, but don't be ridiculous.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#53The Future of Movie Musicals & Film Adaptations of Musicals
Posted: 2/8/16 at 3:20pm

Richard Attenborough, John Huston, and Sidney Lumet were all brilliant "star" directors. They were known by name and by reputation ... but not for musical films. They almost singlehandedly destroyed A Chorus Line, Annie, and The Wiz respectively.

But that's no different than thinking a brilliant and reputable dramatic actor could automatically play Tevye or Don Quixote or Billy Bigelow. It's a different genre, requiring a different skill set. Same thing for directors.

I can see why they took their chances with the big-name directors. Others had fared better in the past (like Sir Carol Reed with "Oliver!" and Robert Wise with West Side Story and then The Sound of Music, and Norman Jewison with Fiddler on the Roof). They were all "name" directors when they tackled their first film musicals. But the results were very different.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Dave19
#54The Future of Movie Musicals & Film Adaptations of Musicals
Posted: 2/8/16 at 6:48pm

ggersten said: "But we can have some fun with the outrage of the "close-ups".  Maybe it will be filmed like it was one long singular take.  But, really? Meryl Streep again - this time as Grizzabella? "

Right, Meryl Streep on her knees in an alley attempting a song in 1 take, dressed as a cat. Because we all know that only that will bring raw emotion with this material.

hork Profile Photo
hork
#55The Future of Movie Musicals & Film Adaptations of Musicals
Posted: 2/8/16 at 9:46pm

perfectliar said: "hork said: "Jeffrey and perfectliar - It's adorable that you think winning a Best Director Oscar is necessarily an indication of talent. Hooper and Attenborough really aren't very well respected among film scholars, and I personally think they're terrible directors (I haven't liked any of their movies). At least Columbus made Only the Lonely, but he's pretty terrible, too. All three made dreadful Broadway adaptations."

You must know this already considering you're a film scholar, but not only did Attenborough win an Oscar and the DGA award (which is given out by fellow directors), but he also was President of the BAFTA and has a film studio stage named after him where the new Star Wars was filmed. How can you think he isn't/wasn't well-respected? Condescend all you want, but don't be ridiculous.

Well, first of all, I didn't say I was a film scholar. And secondly, what does being president of BAFTA have to do with how he is generally regarded as a filmmaker? Other than Gandhi, which is mostly remembered as the epitome of bloated Oscar bait, what did he ever direct that even gets discussed anymore? What great film achievements is he responsible for? He was an actor who sat in the director's chair for 12 forgettable movies.

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#56The Future of Movie Musicals & Film Adaptations of Musicals
Posted: 2/9/16 at 10:29am

Some posted CHESS as a movie. 

I love that idea. But if they did it they have to do the 2001 Danish Version.  The music and the way it was put together made the most sense to me. 

But yes i would pay big bucks to see that. 

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#57The Future of Movie Musicals & Film Adaptations of Musicals
Posted: 2/9/16 at 10:38am

Well, first of all, I didn't say I was a film scholar. And secondly, what does being president of BAFTA have to do with how he is generally regarded as a filmmaker? Other than Gandhi, which is mostly remembered as the epitome of bloated Oscar bait, what did he ever direct that even gets discussed anymore? What great film achievements is he responsible for? He was an actor who sat in the director's chair for 12 forgettable movies."

Attenborough directed a brilliant film in 1987. It stars Kevin Kline and Denzel Washington it's called CRY FREEDOM. It is one of his best if not his best directorial effort. For you to write off Attenborough the way you just did shows how blatantly ignorant you are about him and his efforts as one of the most respected filmmakers in the motion picture industry.

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable
Updated On: 2/9/16 at 10:38 AM

The Other One
#58The Future of Movie Musicals & Film Adaptations of Musicals
Posted: 2/9/16 at 11:18am

Attenborough's "IN LOVE AND WAR" makes his "A CHORUS LINE" look like a masterpiece.  They are both awful.  "A BRIDGE TOO FAR"  was a heavily promoted bore.  "CHAPLIN" and "CRY FREEDOM" are passable thanks to their stars but are not nearly as good as they could have been.  "GANDHI" is quite good and one of these days I hope to finally see "OH WHAT A LOVELY WAR,"  but you'd be hard pressed to find any list of the 20th century's great film directors that includes Richard Attenborough.

hork Profile Photo
hork
#59The Future of Movie Musicals & Film Adaptations of Musicals
Posted: 2/9/16 at 11:43am

JRybka said: "Some posted CHESS as a movie. 

I love that idea. But if they did it they have to do the 2001 Danish Version.  The music and the way it was put together made the most sense to me. 

But yes i would pay big bucks to see that. 

Wasn't it more or less the same as the London version? I actually hate the cast recording of that production (other than a few songs).

hork Profile Photo
hork
#60The Future of Movie Musicals & Film Adaptations of Musicals
Posted: 2/9/16 at 11:56am

Theater_Nerd said: "Well, first of all, I didn't say I was a film scholar. And secondly, what does being president of BAFTA have to do with how he is generally regarded as a filmmaker? Other than Gandhi, which is mostly remembered as the epitome of bloated Oscar bait, what did he ever direct that even gets discussed anymore? What great film achievements is he responsible for? He was an actor who sat in the director's chair for 12 forgettable movies."

Attenborough directed a brilliant film in 1987. It stars Kevin Kline and Denzel Washington it's called CRY FREEDOM. It is one of his best if not his best directorial effort. For you to write off Attenborough the way you just did shows how blatantly ignorant you are about him and his efforts as one of the most respected filmmakers in the motion picture industry.

1987 was also the last time anyone ever talked about Cry Freedom, until now. Also, what The Other One said.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#61The Future of Movie Musicals & Film Adaptations of Musicals
Posted: 2/9/16 at 2:06pm

@dork: And just how in the hell would you know if 1987 was THE VERY LAST TIME anyone, anywhere in the entire world has mentioned or discussed CRY FREEDOM?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Your OPINION is just that....an OPINION...

and you know what they say about those, dontcha? 

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#62The Future of Movie Musicals & Film Adaptations of Musicals
Posted: 2/9/16 at 2:10pm

The Other One said: "Attenborough's "IN LOVE AND WAR" makes his "A CHORUS LINE" look like a masterpiece.  They are both awful.  "A BRIDGE TOO FAR"  was a heavily promoted bore.  "CHAPLIN" and "CRY FREEDOM" are passable thanks to their stars but are not nearly as good as they could have been.  "GANDHI" is quite good and one of these days I hope to finally see "OH WHAT A LOVELY WAR,"  but you'd be hard pressed to find any list of the 20th century's great film directors that includes Richard Attenborough."

The Other One, I did not say he was considered one of the greatest of the 20th century. What I wrote was that he is well respected in the film industry. 

and hork, your comment regarding Cry Freedom has absolutely no basis in fact. 

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#63The Future of Movie Musicals & Film Adaptations of Musicals
Posted: 2/9/16 at 2:39pm

I fear for the future of the movie musical genre in Hollywood

Honestly, that's been a popular moaning topic for decades.  Even back 20-30 years ago when there were FAR fewer non-Disney musical films produced.  You think this is bad?  Look back at what was produced in the 80s and you'll breathe a huge sigh of relief.  There is really no reason to fear right now.  The 90s saw a resurgence of musicals afapted for television and you know what followed?  More film adaptations.  Film musicals will contonue to be produced and we'll gush and bitch about them as much as always.  The snottery remarks on the Cats movie thread would seem to indicate that the fear isn't so much that film musicals wouldn't be produced, but they only select film musicals should be produced for a small minority of condescending blowhards.   

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

CarlosAlberto
#64The Future of Movie Musicals & Film Adaptations of Musicals
Posted: 2/9/16 at 2:46pm

Mister Matt said: "The snottery remarks on the Cats movie thread would seem to indicate that the fear isn't so much that film musicals wouldn't be produced, but they only select film musicals should be produced for a small minority of condescending blowhards."   

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. I feel like handing out razor blades to those who are just so traumatized over this news so they can just slit their wrists and put themselves out of their own misery. 

Especially gypsy101. What. a. friggin'. drama. queen. 

Girlfriend, get. a. grip!

Updated On: 2/9/16 at 02:46 PM

Shrek3
#65The Future of Movie Musicals & Film Adaptations of Musicals
Posted: 2/9/16 at 3:05pm

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. I feel like handing out razor blades to those who are just so traumatized over this news so they can just slit their wrists and put themselves out of their own misery. 

Um you realize you're talking about yourself right? You've been one of the "blowhards" on The Wiz, Hairspray, Grease and Rocky.

hork Profile Photo
hork
#66The Future of Movie Musicals & Film Adaptations of Musicals
Posted: 2/9/16 at 3:23pm

CarlosAlberto said: "@dork: And just how in the hell would you know if 1987 was THE VERY LAST TIME anyone, anywhere in the entire world has mentioned or discussed CRY FREEDOM?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Your OPINION is just that....an OPINION...

It's not my opinion. It's my hyperbole.

And Theater Nerd, I never said he wasn't respected in the film industry, just that he isn't recognized as a major filmmaking talent by critics and scholars. Which was the whole point of this discussion

Was he your grandfather, or something?

pupscotch
#67The Future of Movie Musicals & Film Adaptations of Musicals
Posted: 2/9/16 at 3:26pm

Shrek3 said: "That's pretty much it in a nutshell. I feel like handing out razor blades to those who are just so traumatized over this news so they can just slit their wrists and put themselves out of their own misery. 

Um you realize you're talking about yourself right? You've been one of the "blowhards" on The Wiz, Hairspray, Grease and Rocky.

"

I personally think that we should stop making film adaptations, and continue the live televised versions. Sure, we've had good and bad of both, but making live televised versions adapts the material in the way it's supposed to be used, as opposed to the movie musicals, which I think have either turned out well or horribly. The live musical market seems to be going in a good direction, and I'd like to see how the next few turn out, but right now, I think it's the way to go to adapt the source material in a fun way so everyone can see it and musicals can get mass marketing, and can be shown to a larger audience.

hork Profile Photo
hork
#68The Future of Movie Musicals & Film Adaptations of Musicals
Posted: 2/9/16 at 3:34pm

I can't find a single critic's Top 10 list that includes Cry Freedom as one of the ten best films of that year. Roger Ebert gave it two and a half stars, and he loved everything.

Updated On: 2/9/16 at 03:34 PM

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#69The Future of Movie Musicals & Film Adaptations of Musicals
Posted: 2/9/16 at 4:53pm

CarlosAlberto said: "That's pretty much it in a nutshell. I feel like handing out razor blades to those who are just so traumatized over this news so they can just slit their wrists and put themselves out of their own misery. 

Especially gypsy101. What. a. friggin'. drama. queen. 

Girlfriend, get. a. grip!"

Girlfriend, you're a fucking asshole.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."
Updated On: 2/9/16 at 04:53 PM

CarlosAlberto
#70The Future of Movie Musicals & Film Adaptations of Musicals
Posted: 2/9/16 at 5:59pm

gypsy101 said: Girlfriend, you're a fucking asshole.

And you think you broke new ground by calling me that?!?

NOT!

Shrek3 said: "Um you realize you're talking about yourself right? You've been one of the "blowhards" on The Wiz, Hairspray, Grease and Rocky."

Um no I am NOT talking about myself Philly Cheesesteak or Dildo or whoever you used to be before you decided to re-incarnate yourself into this Drek character. But thanks for playing! You're THE BIGGEST LOSER! Buh-bye!

Dave19
#71The Future of Movie Musicals & Film Adaptations of Musicals
Posted: 2/10/16 at 1:45pm

pupscotch said: "

I personally think that we should stop making film adaptations, and continue the live televised versions. Sure, we've had good and bad of both, but making live televised versions adapts the material in the way it's supposed to be used, as opposed to the movie musicals

"

I think a live presentation filmed in theatre (well edited and record multiple shows and additional shots), released in cinema's and later on dvd is the best option. 

A well crafted document with mostly great performers who understand the art of acting through song.