pixeltracker

Javier Munoz vs. Lin-Manuel Miranda - Page 2

Javier Munoz vs. Lin-Manuel Miranda

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#25Javier Munoz vs. Lin-Manuel Miranda
Posted: 2/10/16 at 12:43pm

I think LMM has gotten stronger in the role since opening night but Javier makes you get why women are into him. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#26Javier Munoz vs. Lin-Manuel Miranda
Posted: 2/10/16 at 1:32pm

I've seen Lin three times, and my next ticket to the show (for mid-summer) will be during a Javi performance. Definitely looking forward to seeing the contrasts!

Shrek3
#27Javier Munoz vs. Lin-Manuel Miranda
Posted: 2/10/16 at 1:34pm

^ You haven't seen the show. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#28Javier Munoz vs. Lin-Manuel Miranda
Posted: 2/10/16 at 1:37pm

Shrek3 said: "^ You haven't seen the show."

Javier Munoz vs. Lin-Manuel Miranda

lunch
#29Javier Munoz vs. Lin-Manuel Miranda
Posted: 2/17/16 at 9:15am

I saw the show with Javier last weekend.  I've seen Lin in numerous video clips and TV appearances, including the Grammy broadcast and, obviously, it's his voice on the cast recording.

This is not a direct comparison of their relative performances in the entire live show, but Javier did not disappoint.  In addition to his strong voice, he's a great actor, and the absence of Lin removes the adoration factor from the audience.  When Javier first made his entrance, some people in the audience clapped, probably assuming it was Lin.  

Lin is a brilliant writer who created an amazing work, but IMHO his stardom could detract in a live performance.  

I'm sure people here will disagree. This is my opinion.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#30Javier Munoz vs. Lin-Manuel Miranda
Posted: 2/17/16 at 11:51am

I saw Munoz October 4th, and agree: he is remarkable in every way. He must work a bit harder (cue the lyrics) at the start, because he makes a star's entrance without being the star: there was no applause, and the entrance didn't have the power we saw in the Grammy's clip.  But by the middle of the first act, somewhere in Yorktown, he simply mesmerizes.  And his act two is deeply affecting, his "Hurricane" so beautifully sung, it lands with great power. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#31Javier Munoz vs. Lin-Manuel Miranda
Posted: 2/17/16 at 11:54am

Auggie27 said: "the entrance didn't have the power we saw in the Grammy's clip."

It was a house full of friends and family on a special night, so not sure that is indicative of a normal night for his entrance lately. He didn't get any special ovation when I saw Hamilton, either.... although that has been quite a while now, admittedly. Javier Munoz vs. Lin-Manuel Miranda

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#32Javier Munoz vs. Lin-Manuel Miranda
Posted: 2/17/16 at 12:17pm

Lin did get some applause when I saw the show last week, but it felt appropriate and didn't distract from the show at all. If anything, it made the energy in the room more exciting.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

aaaaaa15
#33Javier Munoz vs. Lin-Manuel Miranda
Posted: 2/17/16 at 3:48pm

Lin usually gets some applause, but not as loud or as long as it was on the Grammys. I don't think his 'stardom' detracts from his performance at all. His entrance applause is the audience acknowledging him as the writer and after that it is pretty much forgotten and he becomes the character. His other songs don't get any more applause than those from the other actors.

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#34Javier Munoz vs. Lin-Manuel Miranda
Posted: 3/9/16 at 3:12pm

I just re-looked at the website and found out Javier will be on for Hamilton the performance I will be at. At first I got super sad at the thought of not seeing LMM, but after reading this board I am back to being just as excited! Thanks for all the info in the thread!

judebarsto
#35Javier Munoz vs. Lin-Manuel Miranda
Posted: 3/11/16 at 2:33pm

Jshan05 said: "I just re-looked at the website and found out Javier will be on for Hamilton the performance I will be at. At first I got super sad at the thought of not seeing LMM, but after reading this board I am back to being just as excited! Thanks for all the info in the thread!

"

I'm trying very hard to stay upbeat. About six months ago, my husband decided to surprise me for a (big!) Birthday, by getting me tickets to Hamilton. He did a lot of research and along with my grown daughter, they came up with the matinee on Saturday, March 19 as a date that Lin Manuel  would be performing. They were careful to get tickets before the Tonys, and checked out the schedules on line. My daughter knows that I am a huge Lin fan, and she wanted to make sure my husband (who is horrible at all computer things) didn't screw it up.

We live about eight hours from New York so we we are planning to drive,  stay in a hotel, the whole 9 yards.  He couldn't get tickets on the Hamilton site, so he ended up spending a huge amount of money on hard tickets (I was afraid to ask how much, but we have center mezzanine seats, 3rd row, so you can imagine)

And now I find out that Javier will (unexpectedly) be doing the role on 3/19!

And now I  have to tell my husband that I will not be seeing Lin Manuel. Dreading this!! He was so sweet and amazing to do this for me, and knows how much I wanted to see Lin. No offense to Javier at all; reading this thread has reassured me that it will still be fantastic. But I was looking SO forward to the grit and passion Lin brings to the role.

judy

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#36Javier Munoz vs. Lin-Manuel Miranda
Posted: 3/11/16 at 2:38pm

Actors get sick, sprain their wrists, etc. anyway. You can't guarantee anyone is playing at any time.

Sure, the show is called Hamilton, but it's about much more than the person who plays him.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

judebarsto
#37Javier Munoz vs. Lin-Manuel Miranda
Posted: 3/11/16 at 2:47pm

I do know that, of course. I was just hoping!

Judy

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#38Javier Munoz vs. Lin-Manuel Miranda
Posted: 3/11/16 at 3:01pm

LizzieCurry said: "Actors get sick, sprain their wrists, etc. anyway. You can't guarantee anyone is playing at any time.

Sure, the show is called Hamilton, but it's about much more than the person who plays him."

Ugh I'm sorry you're sad about it. I, too, was pretty sad when I saw the announcement he would be the alternate after I did much research as well. To be honest though, while Lin is a GENIUS, there are many other actors I'm pumped about. Goldsberry, Soo, Odom Jr., Diggs, etc are all TERRIFIC. Now I'll be actually sad if a few of them aren't on the night I'm there. Anyways, try to stay positive and just be happy you're seeing it with the OBC and that you scored a ticket. :) :)

judebarsto
#39Javier Munoz vs. Lin-Manuel Miranda
Posted: 3/11/16 at 3:14pm

Thanks for your encouraging words! I will be fine; I've already come to terms with it. I'm just really hoping Daveed and Leslie don't bow out too!!!!! Staying positive!

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#40Javier Munoz vs. Lin-Manuel Miranda
Posted: 3/14/16 at 11:43pm

sorano916 said: "Out of curiosity, since we're talking about Hamiltons... has anyone seen all three (Lin, Javi, Jon) and can comment on the differences of the three?

"

I have not seen all three as Hamilton, but I did see all three as Usnavi in IN THE HEIGHtS and Jon Rua was far superior in the roll. 

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#41Javier Munoz vs. Lin-Manuel Miranda
Posted: 3/14/16 at 11:48pm

I've seen both Lin and Javi as Hamilton (Lin at the Public and Javi on Broadway), and they both brought something unique and wonderful to the role. Obviously there's something special about seeing a writer perform their own work, but Javi is a stronger singer than Lin and an excellent actor in his own right. I was also disappointed when I first found out I wouldn't be seeing Lin on Broadway, but any disappointment vanished by the end of the opening number. You'll be fine, and I'm sure you'll enjoy the show. :)

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#42Javier Munoz vs. Lin-Manuel Miranda
Posted: 3/15/16 at 1:33am

Anybody who has seen Javier, does he get entrance applause like Lin? Curious to know if the applause is for the character or the person, though I suspect the latter.

ChairinMain Profile Photo
ChairinMain
#43Javier Munoz vs. Lin-Manuel Miranda
Posted: 3/15/16 at 2:18pm

Tends to be the person. Dude wrote the show. 

lunch
#44Javier Munoz vs. Lin-Manuel Miranda
Posted: 3/16/16 at 10:11pm

Javier got significant applause at a Sunday matinee in February, probably mostly from people who didn't realize he wasn't Lin.

Tkristop
#45Javier Munoz vs. Lin-Manuel Miranda
Posted: 3/16/16 at 11:09pm

Here is a random question.  If you had the choice to buy a ticket for a matinee where Javier is listed on the website that he will play Hamilton or the Saturday the night before (and I assume Lin will still be playing then) what would you do?  Are other cast members likely to be there on Saturday night or a Sunday matinee where there is just one show?  I know it really probably doesn't matter in the long run but just thought I'd see what you all thought.  Thanks in advance.  

jasonbrody
#46Javier Munoz vs. Lin-Manuel Miranda
Posted: 3/16/16 at 11:16pm

The show is fantastic either way (i've seen thrice), but Javi is actually the stronger singer so he may actually be the better one to see... Though before I saw it the first time I was itching to see Lin... Either way, they are both phenom!!!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#47Javier Munoz vs. Lin-Manuel Miranda
Posted: 3/16/16 at 11:20pm

Tkristop said: "Here is a random question.  If you had the choice to buy a ticket for a matinee where Javier is listed on the website that he will play Hamilton or the Saturday the night before (and I assume Lin will still be playing then) what would you do?"

I would see Javier; I've seen Lin twice.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

pacificnorthwest Profile Photo
pacificnorthwest
#48Javier Munoz vs. Lin-Manuel Miranda
Posted: 3/17/16 at 1:45pm

CindersGolightly said: "The general opinion on here is that Javier is actually much more suited for the role than Lin. 

I was glad to see this thread and your comment, because that's my opinion, too, and I've felt somewhat guilty about it. I've only seen "Hamilton" once, and it was with Javier in the role. But I've seen many clips now of Lin-Manuel Miranda performing as Hamilton as well. I have so much respect, admiration and outright adoration for Miranda that it's made me feel a bit bad to feel that I was especially lucky to see Javier's performance. He does seem like the stronger actor/singer. I don't want to take a thing away from Lin-Manuel. He is brilliant and gifted in so many ways (and still humble and kind) and what he's accomplished with "Hamilton" is breathtaking. And from my perspective in the audience last fall, what Javier did was breathtaking, too.

bear88
#49Javier Munoz vs. Lin-Manuel Miranda
Posted: 4/28/16 at 3:06am

I agree with everyone who thinks Javier Munoz does a terrific job. Lin-Manuel Miranda had laryngitis the day we saw the show. I found out in advance because of his Twitter feed, and alerted my family so they wouldn't be too bummed. But based on all the praise I had seen for Munoz, I wasn't worried. My main concern was seeing Odom, Diggs, Jackson, Soo, Goldsberry - because I didn't know how good their understudies were. (I wouldn't have been so preoccupied if we hadn't paid more than I had ever paid for a night of entertainment.) They were all there, so I got over it quickly. And as it turned out, I ended up meeting Miranda outside the theater, and wished I had thought of something more clever to say than to ask how he was feeling. (It was funny, and unexpected, to see him standing by himself as people raced past him to go see his hit Broadway show.)

A seventy-something white woman from Virginia, seeing the show a second time, said Munoz was the stronger singer. Miranda is probably the better rapper, based on what I've seen on videos, but Munoz holds up well, and I didn't really think about it much during the show. He is a good match for Odom's powerful voice. You'll be fine. It's a fantastic show, whoever you see.

Updated On: 4/28/16 at 03:06 AM