pixeltracker

LETS TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tony's- Page 2

LETS TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tony's

rjm516
#25LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 2/11/16 at 4:37pm

Cynthia is out of this world and if she doesn't win it's because the Tony can't come close to adequately awarding this performance.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#26LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 2/11/16 at 6:09pm

Cynthia is giving a Tony-winning performance in The Color Purple ... and receiving her due praise. She's incredible in the role. But again, how can people declare definitive victory when we haven't even seen the THREE previous Tony winners in their shows yet?

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#27LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 2/11/16 at 6:17pm

Well technically Mueller has been seen in her role. It may have been out of town, but nothing about her reviews there came even close to the praise Erivo got for Color Purple (we're talking Christine Ebersole Grey Gardens quality reviews here). Benanti is obviously talented, but Amalia is not nearly as much of a showstopping role as Celie. And Audra has won so many freaking times that unless she reinvents the wheel (which given her past is entirely possible), the voters are going to award someone else.

Sunny11
#28LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 2/11/16 at 6:18pm

I don't think that you can just assume that someone will give a Tony buzzy performance  just because they won the award in the past. 

All actors have wide variations of success from project to project. Look at Johnny Depp  in Lone Ranger for example. 

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#29LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 2/11/16 at 6:23pm

Sunny11 said: "I don't think that you can just assume that someone will give a Tony buzzy performance  just because they won the award in the past. 

All actors have wide variations of success from project to project. Look at Johnny Depp  in Lone Ranger for example. "

I'm not assuming that those three women will give Tony worthy performances (though Mueller was excellent in Waitress out of town and it's a meaty role). But even if I were, it's no worse to assume their success than it is to declare a definitive winner when we haven't even seen all the choices.

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

tuckandroll
#30LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 2/11/16 at 6:32pm

Erivo brought a whole new life to Celie. I was in awe of the entire production but as many others have stated already her performance moved me and brought a whole new life to the show. Id be shocked if she didn't win but the talent pool that is coming from this category is insane. Id hate to be a tony voter when it comes down to this.

Mike66
#31LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 2/11/16 at 8:41pm

I was blown away by Hamilton.  It was everything I had hoped for.

But I was more blown away by Erivo's performance in Purple, which we saw last weekend.  Barring the unimaginable in that the three "known quantities" go way beyond expectations this Spring, my vote is easy -- Cynthia Erivo.

aaaaaa15
#32LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 2/12/16 at 1:09am

I don't think Soo should or will win the Tony but I'm absolutely baffled by people dismissing her performance.

I really don't want to put Renee's great performance down to raise Phillipa's but Renee has been given a song like Satisfied which would be a showstopper as long as it was given to any good actress. I'm in no way saying she doesn't deserve her recognition or potential Tony but outside of Satisfied, I can't think of any other moments where I was overly wowed by her. That's not her fault, Angelica doesn't really have much material to work with outside of that song, which is why it was great that she was given it.

But Phillipa in Helpless, That Would Be Enough, Burn, It's Quiet Uptown & WLWDWTYS is consistently an absolute joy to watch and by far the most moving performance in the show for me. Eliza is a subdued character and the way Soo brings her out in both the upbeat and downbeat moments is great. That scream at the end of the Stay Alive reprise, her gasp at the very end, the way she portrays strength in femininity in The Schuyler Sisters, Helpless and Take a Break. She's giving a brilliant performance and definitely worthy of a nomination, even if Hamilton didn't have the hype it does. To me her role screams award more than Angelica does, although I am aware that it will most likely go to Cynthia.

Updated On: 2/12/16 at 01:09 AM

yanks02
#33LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 2/12/16 at 1:43am

I had Phillipa winning hands down until I saw The Color Purple on Tuesday. I can't even remember the last time I was as moved by a performance as I was by Cynthia. The growth she portrays in the 2.5 hours is amazing and her songs are acted and sung beautifully. I left the theatre still shaking.

Wilmingtom
#34LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 2/12/16 at 2:24am

While it certainly seems like Erivo's to lose, I'd love to see Cusack sneak onto the list.  She's an extraordinary talent.  Her Dot in Sunday... at Chicago Shakespeare was one for the ages.  I doubt that Bright Star offers her the vehicle to propel her toward awards but still...

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#35LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 2/12/16 at 10:30am

Don't get me wrong—Cusack is a bona fide star and I can't wait to see her talent and career progress. But Bright Star is just really...well...not good. At all. With the competition this season, I would be absolutely SHOCKED if she gets a Tony nod for that role.

shanphelia Profile Photo
shanphelia
#36LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 2/12/16 at 2:09pm

yanks02 said: "I had Phillipa winning hands down until I saw The Color Purple on Tuesday. I can't even remember the last time I was as moved by a performance as I was by Cynthia. The growth she portrays in the 2.5 hours is amazing and her songs are acted and sung beautifully. I left the theatre still shaking."

I felt much the same way! Cynthia's performance absolutely blew me away. The way her character evolves from beginning to end is echoed in the way her singing evolves -- so that the audience (including me!) the other night just kept applauding her in Act II when she let Celie's true voice out.  Phillipa is so great, and Jessie really carried the emotional weight of Waitress in a beautiful performance at ART, but for me, at this point, Cynthia's set a really high bar and is the one to beat.

Updated On: 2/12/16 at 02:09 PM

BroadwayConcierge
#37LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 2/26/16 at 3:38pm

Bumping this now that Benanti is on Broadway. Does anyone think she poses a threat to Erivo?

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#38LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 2/26/16 at 3:42pm

^ I would definitely say so. Having seen both of them, I personally would vote for Bennati.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#39LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 2/26/16 at 3:44pm

Haven't seen She Loves Me or Color Purple yet, but it's certainly possible. Amalia is a great role and I'm sure it fits Benanti like a glove. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

PJPan
#40LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 2/26/16 at 4:25pm

Definitely agree that the likely noms will be Benanti, Erivo, McDonald, Mueller, Soo...

I can't see the Tonys rewarding Audra and Jessie so soon after their recent wins, especially when their competition is what it is.

Philippa is wonderful in the role, but this is one of Hamilton's categories where it's not a shoo-in. Laura Benanti is at points beautiful, heartbreaking, and hilarious as Amalia; Cynthia Erivo is all those too, and she grabs the rafters and tears them down in Act II (not to mention eliciting cheers and laughter with perfect, simple line delivery). At the end of the day (if these are the noms) I think they'll reward the first-time nominee.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#41LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 2/26/16 at 5:31pm

I can't see the Tonys rewarding Audra and Jessie so soon after their recent wins.

While it obviously hasn't stopped Audra from winning in the past, I could see Tony voters probably wanting to give her a break.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#42LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 2/27/16 at 12:38pm

Having seen She Loves Me last night and absolutely LOVING it, I STILL think it's a no-contest win for Cynthia Erivo.  Benanti is great in the role, but I did actually feel like she was part of a really solid ensemble (to me Jane, Zachary, and Byron Jennings were the real standouts) more than a leading lady.  In fact, I was kinda surprised that Laura got the last bow SOLO, not even coming out with Zachary.  Cynthia carries the entire production of The Color Purple on her shoulders.  Cynthia's performance left me longing to see more.  Laura's left me smiling but satisfied.  I'd be really surprised if the award goes to Laura at this point.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#43LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 2/27/16 at 1:07pm

I do hope we get some new blood in this catagories this year. Laura is fabulous in SHE LOVES ME and I'm sure Audra and Jessie will give their usual award worthy performances, but I personally am rooting for Cynthia, Phillipa and Carmen Cusack from BRIGHT STAR to all get nominated. Spread the wealth Tony nominators!

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#44LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 2/27/16 at 2:13pm

^Don't forget Ana Villafane from On Your Feet!

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#45LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 2/27/16 at 8:52pm

I think Ana will take one of the spots.

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#46LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 2/27/16 at 9:40pm

So it seems as though these are the only ones who have a shot at a Tony nom. Do you think anyone else could slip onto the nominations list other than the listed ones? I think the only true LOCKS for a nom is Cynthia and Laura.

Cynthia Erivo

Audra McDonald

Carmen Cusack

Jessie Mueller

Ana Villafane

Laura Benanti

Philippa Soo

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#47LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 2/27/16 at 10:44pm

My predictions:

Cynthia Erivo

Jessie Mueller

Ana Villafane/Audra McDonald

Laura Benanti

Philippa Soo

BroadwayConcierge
#48LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 2/27/16 at 10:53pm

I think it would be unprecedented, unwarranted, and wrong if Soo did not receive a nomination.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#49LET'S TALK - Leading Actress in a Musical at the Tonys
Posted: 2/28/16 at 12:12am

BroadwayConcierge said: "I think it would be unprecedented, unwarranted, and wrong if Soo did not receive a nomination.

What would be unprecedented about it? She's performing in a new musical, which means, by definition, there is no precedent for that being a Tony-nominated role.