THE HUMANS Reviews

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#25THE HUMANS Reviews
Posted: 2/19/16 at 12:19am

A wonderful set of reviews, exciting for new works everywhere. As for the Tony, I would wait at least until Eclipsed opens. I had the honor of seeing it at the Public, and I think it's one of the most stunningly gorgeous pieces of theatre ever created. I've read The Humans (hoping to see it in the next few weeks) and saw King Charles the Third, but, for my money, Eclipsed is the thing to beat (and it's a story that rarely gets told in any medium, let alone in an all-female, all-black Broadway production). But I can't wait to see The Humans - the ending is weird when you've only imagined it from the stage directions!

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

LightsOut90
#26THE HUMANS Reviews
Posted: 2/19/16 at 1:38am

^ the only problem is ECLIPSED got mixed reviews off broadway, it might get stronger when it transfers but my fear is the loss of intimacy is going to kill it (seriously having Lupita point a gun 6 inches from your face is a life experience)

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#27THE HUMANS Reviews
Posted: 2/19/16 at 8:35am

So happy for these rave reviews! The Humans only got better the second time around and I hope to catch it a third and fourth as well. 

I loved King Charles and look forward to seeing Eclipsed. We should be thankful that this is turning out to be a good year for new plays. Can't wait to see what Karam writes next. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

@z5
#28THE HUMANS Reviews
Posted: 2/19/16 at 9:16pm

I honestly liked King Charles more than Humans, which I was not expecting. Humans was underwhelming and disappointing to me. Went in expecting a lot more than when I left.

Updated On: 2/20/16 at 09:16 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#29THE HUMANS Reviews
Posted: 2/19/16 at 9:26pm

Glad we saw it off Broadway.

Poster Emeritus

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#30THE HUMANS Reviews
Posted: 3/27/16 at 5:24pm

I saw the show today and thought it was extraordinary. Reed Birney was absolutely incredible, and the writing was about as spot-on as you can get. So glad that something this artistic can make it on to Broadway without a star. If you don't leave the theatre shaking you aren't paying attention.

CurtainsUpat8 Profile Photo
CurtainsUpat8
#31THE HUMANS Reviews
Posted: 3/27/16 at 9:03pm

I agree with Fantod... The Humans is a beautiful play: elegantly written and wonderfully performed. However, I did like Sons of the Prophet more. It should have won the 2012 Pulitzer over Water By The Spoonful. Easily.

Alex10
#32THE HUMANS Reviews
Posted: 3/27/16 at 9:10pm

@z5 said: "I honestly liked King Charles more than Humans, which I was not expecting. Humans was underwhelming and disappointing to me. Went in expecting a lot more than when I left.

"

Count me as someone else who didn't see what a lot of other people seemed to. The performances were about as good as it gets and the dialogue and topicality are excellent, but it felt more just like a slice of this era than a cohesive, compelling story.  That rests on my tastes rather than the play being bad- it was really as good as I can imagine this style of writing being but I personally prefer more plot-driven stories.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#33THE HUMANS Reviews
Posted: 4/3/16 at 6:34pm

Just a general question: what time would one be out on the street for a 3 p.m. show? Trying to plan on a strict schedule accordingly. 

Alex10
#34THE HUMANS Reviews
Posted: 4/3/16 at 8:01pm

GreasedLightning said: "Just a general question: what time would one be out on the street for a 3 p.m. show? Trying to plan on a strict schedule accordingly. 

"

The show runs around 1 hour 40 minutes. For a 3pm show, a 4:45 exit is probably accurate.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#35THE HUMANS Reviews
Posted: 4/18/16 at 11:24am

Is anybody going to the talk with Frank Rich about the show at the theater tonight (4/1THE HUMANS Reviews?

Just give the world Love.

Kristie-K2 Profile Photo
Kristie-K2
#36THE HUMANS Reviews
Posted: 4/18/16 at 8:39pm

I Loved this play.....Lauren Klein was Great as Momo suffering from Dementia

Saw the play on Thursday and my Mom died of Dementia on Saturday...RIP Mom...

Glittergrrl Profile Photo
Glittergrrl
#37THE HUMANS Reviews
Posted: 4/20/16 at 10:23pm

Fantod said: "I saw the show today and thought it was extraordinary. Reed Birney was absolutely incredible, and the writing was about as spot-on as you can get. So glad that something this artistic can make it on to Broadway without a star. If you don't leave the theatre shaking you aren't paying attention.

"

I thought it was just me... My boyfriend didn't go to the show with me. He was waiting for me outside the theatre when it ended.  He took one look at me and said, "You look like you need a drink". I was wound so tight.  The ending was tense.  I really enjoyed it.  The acting and writing were incredible.  There's so much humor.  I tend to prefer shows without a lot of plot, so this was up my alley.  

Kristie, so sorry about your mom. 

Kristie-K2 Profile Photo
Kristie-K2
#38THE HUMANS Reviews
Posted: 4/20/16 at 10:30pm

Thank You dear

bway_fanatic Profile Photo
bway_fanatic
#39THE HUMANS Reviews
Posted: 4/28/16 at 2:29pm

Does anyone know if Reed or Jayne signs after the show?   Mr. Birney is one of my idols.  

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#40THE HUMANS Reviews
Posted: 9/27/16 at 9:04am

Sorry for the bump, but I have a question about the play that I'm hoping someone can answer. I saw it from the side mezzanine, row C, which was in general an excellent view. But there was one thing I couldn't see very well, so here's my question:

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

In the final moments, Erik saw someone outside the apartment on the lower floor. From my vantage point, it just looked like a normal woman pushing a laundry cart, walking down the brightly-lit hallway. Was there anything more to it than that? Did the woman, for instance, have a normal face? :) I just want to make sure I didn't miss any clues about the significance of the ending. Thanks!

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#41THE HUMANS Reviews
Posted: 9/27/16 at 3:09pm

kdogg36 said: "Sorry for the bump, but I have a question about the play that I'm hoping someone can answer. I saw it from the side mezzanine, row C, which was in general an excellent view. But there was one thing I couldn't see very well, so here's my question:

In the final moments, Erik saw someone outside the apartment on the lower floor. From my vantage point, it just looked like a normal woman pushing a laundry cart, walking down the brightly-lit hallway. Was there anything more to it than that? Did the woman, for instance, have a normal face? :) I just want to make sure I didn't miss any clues about the significance of the ending. Thanks!

"

In the script, it says 

In a breath, an elderly Chinese woman passes the basement door on her way down the hall, wheeling her laundry in a cheap metal cart with a busted wheel.

The sounds slowly disappear as she rolls the cart down the hall.

...click-clack, click-clack, click-clack...

...click-clack, click-clack, click-clack...

This perfectly ordinary event leaves Erik feeling overwhelmed; it triggers a few ugly sobs

Erik's face is visible via the light of the lantern. 

He is quietly terrified, mumbling the Hail Mary.

Is he recovering from a panic attack?

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#42THE HUMANS Reviews
Posted: 9/27/16 at 4:25pm

Perfect, thank you!