pixeltracker

SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances - Page 2

SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances

BOM  Profile Photo
BOM
#25SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/19/16 at 11:31pm

He should definitely have an alternate. If you tried calling out of work once a week, you would get fired. Why is if any different for Alex Brightman? Just because he is the "star" of the show? I got to see him in previews. I must of gotten really lucky, cause from what I've heard, most people are seeing his understudy. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#26SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/19/16 at 11:52pm

Does his pay change? How does it work as an actor for his paycheck? 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#27SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/20/16 at 12:05am

I would assume part of his paycheck would go to the understudy instead.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#28SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/20/16 at 12:22am

neonlightsxo said: "^ He's been doing less than 7 shows a week lately.

Maybe he was wrong that his NYU professors couldn't teach him anything. Maybe he should have learned stamina and how to keep his body and voice healthy. Humility wouldn't hurt either.

"

WOW. 

I saw the show and thought he was fantastic, but I do agree that he shouldn't have the choice as to whether or not he gets an alternate. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

mufish
#29SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/20/16 at 5:02pm

Just got back from today's matinee - Alex Brightman was out. First time seeing the show so I have no comparison, but I enjoyed myself nonetheless. Those kids are crazy talented!

Lousy
#30SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/20/16 at 7:10pm

A bit off topic, but you might benefit from this PanaroFan111.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com.au/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

No one gives a damn about the list of shows you've seen.

PanaroFan111
#31SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 9:09am

Sorry Lousy sounds like you really need to get a life :)

PanaroFan111
#32SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 9:19am

So after giving the show glowing reviews to my wife and friends we are going to try this again. Just got tix for the Wed matinee this week, hopefully I get to see Alex Brightman ( Fingers Crossed) will report after the show :)

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#33SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 10:22am

You realize since it's a matinee your chances of seeing him are slim, he's been taking off the matinees.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

PanaroFan111
#34SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 10:31am

When I asked the Box Office when buying the tickets they said there is no way to know for sure when he will be out, they don't find out until they post the understudies on the board 1 hour before performances, and since there is nothing posted for sure, I guess I have to hope for the best :)

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#35SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 10:36am

I'll also be there for the Wednesday matinee, and sincerely hoping I get to see him.  Based on what you've all said, it seems like I'll be missing something if I don't get to see his performance.  Fingers crossed!

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#36SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 12:26pm

For the record, I went to an evening performance in early January and he was out. His absences are not limited to matinees. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#37SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 12:33pm

I luckily saw him at a Weds matinee last month and he was absolutely fantastic, but it was very clear that he needs an alternate. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#38SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 12:39pm

RippedMan said: "Does his pay change? How does it work as an actor for his paycheck? "

He's paid per week, not per performance, so as long as he has allotted time off he can use,  and gives the producers enough time in advance, they probably won't dock pay.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ebontoyan
#39SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 1:02pm

I saw SoR with Alex Brightman on a Wednesday eve show in January. Unfortunately I didn't find the show or the lead compelling, found it boring and quite loud and we left even before intermission (and that was a first for me!)

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#41SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 1:27pm

ebontoyan said: "I saw SoR with Alex Brightman on a Wednesday eve show in January. Unfortunately I didn't find the show or the lead compelling, found it boring and quite loud and we left even before intermission (and that was a first for me!)"

Very classy!! 

ebontoyan
#42SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 1:36pm

^^I'm quite fine I don't follow the norm lol lol To each their own opinion!

Updated On: 2/21/16 at 01:36 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#43SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 1:39pm

Maybe he'll go the JLY route and have an alternate after he wins the Tony.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

PanaroFan111
#44SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 1:44pm

LizzieCurry, I was thinking the exact same thing, Ever since JLY won the Tony all other Frankies were doing 6 shows and they had a 2 show matinee Frankie, but its funny when JLY did his 2 return engagements he did all 8 shows maybe because they were limited engagements

ebontoyan
#45SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 1:48pm

The question is if he wins the Tony. He can get a nom but Danny Burstein or Lesley Odom Jr or whoever is the lead male in Shuffle Along will all be fierce competition.

Updated On: 2/21/16 at 01:48 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#46SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 1:54pm

Did I need to include an emoticon?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Juggalo12
#47SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 1:58pm

Most likely because he's losing his voice. I predicted this would happen. 

Liza's Headband
#48SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 3:57pm

Considering the material, that's an easy prediction to make... 

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#49SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 3:58pm

While we're into grammar, it's "fewer than seven shows a week," not "less than."  A common error, one that turns up often on these boards.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 2/21/16 at 03:58 PM

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#50SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 4:01pm

I haven't seen the show but I'm wondering if someone can provide some context for just how taxing this role is. What other big leads (male or female) is it comparable to?

I like a good rhyme more than a good time