pixeltracker

SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances - Page 3

SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#50SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 4:01pm

I haven't seen the show but I'm wondering if someone can provide some context for just how taxing this role is. What other big leads (male or female) is it comparable to?

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#51SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 4:49pm

Good ol' Webber seems unable to write a show that doesn't have such a demanding vehicle necessitating an alternate. I'm beginning to think it's some kind of illness. SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances

All joking aside, I hope the SoR team is able to resolve this problem- but in the meantime, at least Alex's understudy is getting some good buzz from it!

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

10086sunset
#52SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 6:55pm

LizzieCurry said: "Maybe he'll go the JLY route and have an alternate after he wins the Tony.

"

If he does get nominated, he should send an alternate to Radio City.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#53SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 8:00pm

In terms of how taxing, It's just a high energy performance. He has to always be "on" and I'm sure acting with children provides some stress as well. The score is a typical rock score, with some higher belter parts, but I mean if people can sing Rock of Ages or Hunchback 8 times a week, I don't see why this would be that difficult. Especially after having sung it for so long, I think your voice would figure out how to handle it.

A1st
#54SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 8:14pm

NJ_BroadwayGirl said: "I haven't seen the show but I'm wondering if someone can provide some context for just how taxing this role is. What other big leads (male or female) is it comparable to?

"

I would say it's like being the Genie in Aladdin, but having to do Friend Like Me 11 times a night. :)

Updated On: 2/21/16 at 08:14 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#55SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 8:24pm

^ Great comparison!

AndersonTours
#56SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 8:58pm

Lin Manuel Miranda has missed many performances, has an alternate and no one says a thing. Perhaps Alex should have done the same. I think all of us here are harder on certain people and give others a pass. Not sure why, but it's true.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#57SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 9:20pm

I haven't seen Hamilton, so I can't compare. But Lin is not quite the singer/actor that Alex is. 

broadwayboy223
#58SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 9:21pm

RippedMan said: "In terms of how taxing, It's just a high energy performance. He has to always be "on" and I'm sure acting with children provides some stress as well. The score is a typical rock score, with some higher belter parts, but I mean if people can sing Rock of Ages or Hunchback 8 times a week, I don't see why this would be that difficult. Especially after having sung it for so long, I think your voice would figure out how to handle it.

"

The problem is that people don't know how to sing with good technique. It's a shame most Broadway stars ignore classical training. Thank god for people like Kelli O'Hara and Marin Mazzie 

ebontoyan
#59SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 9:27pm

I've seen Hamilton 2x and found LMM and Lesley Odom Jr performances so much better, compelling, and Tony worthy than Alex Brightman! But maybe acting like a juvenile manic teacher is a lot more work, as people make it seem on this thread.

Also LMM is a Tony winner and the creative force behind his show. While Alex is in his first lead Broadway role and have been offered an alternate (which he did not take I assume). No comparison that LMM can take off from his show and not be criticized. He is also humble and seasoned to get himself an alternate!

Updated On: 2/21/16 at 09:27 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#60SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 9:31pm

LMM had not missed many performances, at all.  He has an alternate which has been advertised since before previews.  Those are not "missed" performances.   There have been other instances of him being out, but nothing that would be called excessive.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#61SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 9:40pm

Does he have an alternate because the role is taxing in Hamilton? Or because he has other things he needs to do?

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#62SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 9:45pm

Lin has a scheduled alternate and has missed a SMALL handful of shows due to occasional illness (I remember he needed to receive an IV in the fall)—not "many performances." Get 'cho facts straight, hon.

Updated On: 2/21/16 at 09:45 PM

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#63SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 9:46pm

I think Lin takes a day off because in addition to performing, he has lots of other responsibilities surrounding the show - publicity, special events, appearances. He also has other projects he is working on so he's often flying out of town on his days off.

I don't think it has much to do with the role being taxing. I also imagine they expect Javier to take over for Lin eventually so it's good to get him regular experience in the show.

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#64SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 9:50pm

I don't think.it matters why.  It is what is established. I.just hate when people make allegations that aren't true.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ebontoyan
#65SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 10:08pm

Ha, the Hamilton producers are a lot more savvy than SoR producers!  SoR get your lead male star an alternate (he obviously needs it!!!)

Updated On: 2/21/16 at 10:08 PM

pupscotch
#66SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 10:17pm

ebontoyan said: "Ha, the Hamilton producers are a lot more savvy than SoR producers!  SoR get your lead male star an alternate (he obviously needs it!!!)

"

Alex rejected the alternate, as has been stated on this thread, though it seems that he needs one! It's perfectly acceptable for him to miss a show or two a week, especially in this role, but better that it's the same two scheduled every week so ticket buyers know who they're seeing!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#67SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 10:21pm

Lupone only missed 1 show of Gypsy right? And that's a tough ass show to sing and act. Just to compare. 

ebontoyan
#68SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 10:21pm

^^Yeah I read he rejected the alternate But given his absentee issue (as this thread indicates) it looks like the producers/creative team/whoever higher up need to make that decision. Not the lead star. For the good of their show!

Updated On: 2/21/16 at 10:21 PM

KathyNYC2
#69SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 10:42pm

Just curious....not trying to make a judgement about this at all. Do actors have the right to "refuse" an alternate? Is it part of the contract? Are they in charge of their own characters? 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#70SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 11:27pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Lin has a scheduled alternate and has missed a SMALL handful of shows due to occasional illness (I remember he needed to receive an IV in the fall)—not "many performances." Get 'cho facts straight, hon."

Facts? On BWW?!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#71SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 11:38pm

RippedMan said: "Lupone only missed 1 show of Gypsy right? And that's a tough ass show to sing and act. Just to compare. "

i believe Lenora Nemetz went on once and Linda Balgord around twice. Still her attendance was stellar. 

asmith0307
#72SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 11:39pm

KathyNYC2 said: "Just curious....not trying to make a judgement about this at all. Do actors have the right to "refuse" an alternate? Is it part of the contract? Are they in charge of their own characters? "

That is a good question, and I'm looking up the answer now (though someone may already know the answer). I know that in the case of a "star"' (i.e. NPH in Hedwig), the actor has the right to refuse an understudy (which NPH did). According to that rule (#73 in the recently expired contract - the only one I have on me at the moment), they only mention that all contracted roles except for stars and bit parts have to be covered by an understudy. No mention of alternates and right of refusal. 

Also, someone mentioned that this is Brightman's first Broadway role. Just to clarify, it is his first leading role, and probably easily his most taxing. 

ebontoyan
#73SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/21/16 at 11:57pm

Foolish and not good business sense of the SoR team if Alex contract is similar to NPH in terms of alternate and other perks.  In his first Broadway lead role, Alex is nowhere near NPH clout and talent

On the other hand where are the people looking out for Alex career?!  I am sure he wants to be a lead star in more Broadway shows in the future! Why risk injury in his first lead Broadway role (and also get a reputation for having excessive absences and perception of unprofessionalism!)

Updated On: 2/22/16 at 11:57 PM

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#74SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 2/22/16 at 12:18am

I haven't seen School of Rock, but I don't know if comparing a young performer in his first starring role to Patti LuPone is exactly fair. Regardless, if I was offered an alternate for a role as taxing as this one seems to be, I would sure as hell take it. Better that than to injure myself or my voice permanently by pushing too hard.