BRIGHT STAR Previews

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#100BRIGHT STAR Previews
Posted: 2/28/16 at 12:54am

That thought occurred to me as well. I haven't thought it through to see if it really would work with the whole through line, but it would certainly create a nice moment or too of potential conflict. I definitely think there needs to be some scene or private moment between Alice and Billy after they make the discovery. For Billy in particular, I think there would be so much going through his mind, including perhaps even a questioning as to whether Alice had known the truth all along and if that had influenced her decision to publish his stories.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#101BRIGHT STAR Previews
Posted: 2/28/16 at 3:04am

The choreography works so well and is perfect in how it compliments the plot and emotions of the story.  Walter Bobbie does a terrific job with the staging.  There is so much to watch and it all just works so well from the swooning square-dancing dancers to the musicians in the moving set to the interaction with actors and props.  Really well done! 

It was a nice surprise to see Rob Berman leading the musicians as he played piano on stage.  He has been involved in so many treasured Encores productions yet I always remember him from the first time I saw him when he conducted the 2003 revival of Wonderful Town.  ( And yes, Cusack reminded me of Donna Murphy too).  I really hope the score gets nominated.  It was so exciting to hear new music.  And you really hear the music.  The sound at the Cort is wonderful. The musician's presence on stage complements the tenderness of the piece.

Cusack will be robbed if she doesn't nab a Tony nom.  Where has she been?  I adored her.  She sounds amazing and l really loved her comedic timing.

Hannah Elless steals some of the limelight with one of my favorite numbers Asheville.  She also has a beautiful duet (Always Will) with A.J. Shively.  Emily Padgett gets to go to town with Another Round, a rollicking honky-tonk number.  The choreography here was a real highlight.

I really liked the cut-out used for the backdrop of the North Carolina Mountains.  The lighting also added the perfect amount of warmth to render a true Great Smoky effect.  

There are many songs to love including Way Back in the Day, I Had a Vision, Sun's Gonna Shine and Bright Star.  The story is predictable but sweet nevertheless.  I also loved the costumes.  I plan to definitely see this again.  Highly recommended. 

LostinTranslation
#102BRIGHT STAR Previews
Posted: 2/28/16 at 8:50am

Emily Paget lights it up!!  She gets to sing and dance with sassy exuberance in "Another Round."  It's a great scene, song, and the choreography is delightful.

Updated On: 2/28/16 at 08:50 AM

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#103BRIGHT STAR Previews
Posted: 2/28/16 at 8:53am

That will be news to Billy Dee Williams. 

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#104BRIGHT STAR Previews
Posted: 2/28/16 at 8:58am

^Exactly!

Updated On: 2/28/16 at 08:58 AM

LostinTranslation
#105BRIGHT STAR Previews
Posted: 2/28/16 at 8:59am

Smaxie said: "That will be news to Billy Dee Williams. 

"

In three movies he's the only one.  It's a WHITE universe in the first three films.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#106BRIGHT STAR Previews
Posted: 2/28/16 at 9:21am

OK, thinking about the plot twist, so major spoilers below…

But since it's the doctors bag that is the giveaway clue to Alice about the truth, what if Billy actually had that bag, perhaps to carry his lot of stories in, when he first comes to her office? It could act as a sort of catalyst for her to revisit her memory to try to find out who Billy is and what happened to her child .

SLSigafoos
#107BRIGHT STAR Previews
Posted: 2/28/16 at 9:35am

I think these are all good ideas, re: having the plot twist either done another way, OR having a more pivotal scene with the family once the secret is out. I will say one of my larger disappointments was 

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

The handshake scene between father and son. That's it? You meet your supposedly dead child for the first time in 23 years and you shake his hand and say "I'm your dad!"?!?!?! Paul Nolan is far too talented of an actor to be given nothing to work with in this scene. I realize his character knew the secret before Alice did, but the lack of reaction there bothered me. 

I will say, however, that the majority of the audience at the matinee yesterday gasped out loud at the reveal. So maybe it's not as predictable to everyone? 

Updated On: 2/28/16 at 09:35 AM

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#108BRIGHT STAR Previews
Posted: 2/28/16 at 10:02am

Any chance for Padgett to be recognized come award season, or is it not that kind of role?

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#109BRIGHT STAR Previews
Posted: 2/28/16 at 10:24am

Her role is too small to be considered for awards.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#110BRIGHT STAR Previews
Posted: 2/28/16 at 10:37am

QueenAlice said: "Her role is too small to be considered for awards."

I disagree.  I don't THINK she'll be nominated, but her role is certainly big enough (she leads the entire company in the one super Broadway-style number in the show) to get her some consideration for the Featured category.  And if Bright Star gets good reviews (which after seeing it last night, I think it VERY much deserves), she could find herself among the conversation.  Again, I don't think it will happen, but with the Featured Actress in a Musical category really having only 3 super strong contenders right now (Renee Elise Goldsberry, Jennifer Hudson, and Jane Krakowski), anything is possible.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#111BRIGHT STAR Previews
Posted: 2/28/16 at 11:33am

I suppose BJH, it just seems there are women, even in her own show, in supporting roles that make a bigger impact. But stranger things have happened it's true. What did you think of the rest of the show?

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#112BRIGHT STAR Previews
Posted: 2/28/16 at 12:42pm

SLSigafoos said: "I think these are all good ideas, re: having the plot twist either done another way, OR having a more pivotal scene with the family once the secret is out. I will say one of my larger disappointments was 

The handshake scene between father and son. That's it? You meet your supposedly dead child for the first time in 23 years and you shake his hand and say "I'm your dad!"?!?!?! Paul Nolan is far too talented of an actor to be given nothing to work with in this scene. I realize his character knew the secret before Alice did, but the lack of reaction there bothered me. 

I will say, however, that the majority of the audience at the matinee yesterday gasped out loud at the reveal. So maybe it's not as predictable to everyone? 

"

What makes you say that ...

Jimmy Ray knew before Alice did? He thinks his father killed the baby.

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

LostinTranslation
#113BRIGHT STAR Previews
Posted: 2/28/16 at 12:48pm

starcatchers said: "What makes you say that ...

"

Yes he does.

There is a confrontation scene in the second act between Jimmy Ray and his father where he finds out that the baby was thrown off the train.

Updated On: 2/28/16 at 12:48 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#114BRIGHT STAR Previews
Posted: 2/28/16 at 12:54pm

Quick question that I'm thinking about, and it's spoilery, so:

Have they made the baby toss off the train sequence smoother/more effective? When I saw it at the Kennedy Center, there was a gap between the lighting/tech changeover and the actor putting the suitcase on the ground behind him, so it looked terribly fake and I and my friend actually chuckled after the initial shock of "Holy s***, I am actually watching a baby getting thrown off a freaking train on stage." I hope for their benefit they've made it less awkward and tightened that up.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#115BRIGHT STAR Previews
Posted: 2/28/16 at 1:05pm

With the Featured Actress in a Musical category really having only 3 super strong contenders right now (Renee Elise Goldsberry, Jennifer Hudson, and Jane Krakowski), anything is possible.

Aren't you forgetting Danielle Brooks?

Updated On: 2/28/16 at 01:05 PM

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#116BRIGHT STAR Previews
Posted: 2/28/16 at 1:11pm

LostinTranslation said: "starcatchers said: "What makes you say that ...

"

Yes he does.

There is a confrontation scene in the second act between Jimmy Ray and his father where he finds out that the baby was thrown off the train.

"

I misread that. My bad. I was thinking about the very end of the show. 

BroadwayConcierge, it definitely looked smoother last night. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#117BRIGHT STAR Previews
Posted: 2/28/16 at 3:20pm

LostinTranslation said: "Smaxie said: "That will be news to Billy Dee Williams. " In three movies he's the only one.  It's a WHITE universe in the first three films."

I haven't seen the first trilogy in a couple years but I feel like there's numerous minorities in the background. But Billy Dee may be the only one with any speaking lines.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Owen22
#118BRIGHT STAR Previews
Posted: 2/28/16 at 5:30pm

To me there is a huge character/plot hole in the middle of the first act that kept me from enjoying whatever came after.

Here there be SPOILERS

When Alice finds herself pregnant why on earth does she go to the cabin?  The writers fudge the reasoning, but from what I gathered, Jimmy Ray's father sorta kinda lets her think she and Jimmy will marry AFTER the baby is born?  Am I getting that right?  Why would this exceptionally intelligent young woman believe this? That she will have a bastard child and THEN the rich young man's father will allow them to be together?  Everything plot-wise goes downhill from there. Why does the Mayor have to kill the baby? He has the adoption papers right there. It's a pretty full proof way of getting rid of his unwanted grandchild. Why commit homicide?    And then, why later, does he confess this horrible awful thing he did to his son?  It's not like saying, "Son, I cheated on your mother". Or, "I let an innocent man hang" or something like that. I killed your baby????  That' something you would take to the grave. And Jimmy Ray's reaction isn't anywhere near as horrifying (or violent) as one would expect (but that's beside the point, the revelation is there solely for plot purposes). 

I don't care about the big reveal, I saw it miles away. It doesn't really work, but easily could if they embraced the whole Southern Gothic Tall Tale-ness of the whole affair.  Make it a modern, Paul Bunyonesque fable (which is harder to pull off with a post-WW2 story but still doable) .  This would even make the bad plot mechanics mentioned above go down easier.

This is the best Carmen Cusak performance I've seen. I didn't love her Miss Gardner in "Carrie" and actively disliked her Dot in Chicago Shake's "Sunday".   But to me the real find in the cast is Paul Alexander Nolan.  Now I wish I had watched "Daddy Long Legs" online!

Updated On: 2/28/16 at 05:30 PM

SLSigafoos
#119BRIGHT STAR Previews
Posted: 2/28/16 at 5:55pm

Owen22 said: 

This is the best Carmen Cusak performance I've seen. I didn't love her Miss Gardner in "Carrie" and actively disliked her Dot in Chicago Shake's "Sunday".   But to me the real find in the cast is Paul Alexander Nolan.  Now I wish I had watched "Daddy Long Legs" online!

Nolan wasn't in the Daddy Long Legs live broadcast; he was already in rehearsals for Bright Star at the Kennedy Center when DLL went live. He is, however, on the cast album and was brilliant in that show...as he also was in Zhivago (the standout in that cast), Once, and JCS. I felt like there are several scenes in Bright Star where he could have absolutely stolen the show if the material was better. Loved his performance and singing, but you're right that his character's reaction to finding out the truth wasn't what I expected, though...

He did say in the song, following the father's confession to throwing his grandson off the bridge, that the father may as well have killed him instead. I think the song was supposed to show his anger/rage/betrayal, but that can be hard to do in song. He should have gotten to say those words without music behind it.

Updated On: 2/28/16 at 05:55 PM

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#120BRIGHT STAR Previews
Posted: 2/28/16 at 7:43pm

Caught this Saturday night begrudgingly. I am not a Steve Martin Fan. I  am not a blue grass music fan.

Imagine my surprise when the score turned out to be absolute delight.  The music sounded  beautiful in the Cort Theatre.  It was lively catchy and tuneful.

While not perfect, how nice to see a very well put together original musical with good music. So much more enjoyable than School of Rock (the movie was better) and Allegiance (original but mediocre music and staging) and On Your Feet (no real stoory theatre) and the over-rated Once.

The lyrics were fine but as said before, Stephen Sondheim can sleep tonight. " A Man's got to do" was kind of a mantra so the repeated lyric did not bother me at all.

As for the plot twist... I didn't see it coming at all. I am usually good about figuring out what will happen. In
"In the Heights", a character says  "Grandma don't forget to take your heart pills." I sad she'll be dead by act two.  And she was.   I thought the twist worked well and did not see it coming at all. I think they handled it well.

Act One started off well but then I started getting confused and a little bored as it was a bit murky as to whose story it was. Alice or Billy's. At intermission, I wasn't quite sold on it due to the murky plotting. Act Two tied that all together and was definitely the better contsructed of the acts.

As for the set... a house that acts as Alice's House and Billy's house and others house, the metaphor of us all being in the same house was quite telling. I thought the set was clever metaphorically speaking. Walter Bobbie used the house brilliantly. Eugene Lee did the sets-- very different from his sets for Wicked and very clever if maybe economical.

Jeff Blumenkrantz was great comic relief stealing any scene he was in. Supporting Actor nomination maybe? The rest of the cast was fine although Dee Hoty sounded a little wobbly on her high notes. She also failed to impress in Gigi. 

Well staged and well choreographed. Perhaps it will turn out to be a sleeper hit? Or just a quick run. We will leave that to the theatre Gods. I love pleasant surprises in the theatre.

By the way, I got a rush ticket for Saturday NIght at 7:30 pm  for the 8 pm  show.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#121BRIGHT STAR Previews
Posted: 2/28/16 at 8:06pm

goldenboy said:

Act One started off well but then I started getting confused and a little bored as it was a bit murky as to whose story it was. Alice or Billy's.

I too had this problem. I was confused as to why Alice leads the opening, singing about her "story," and then we're focused on Billy for the first ten minutes or so of the show. 

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.
Updated On: 2/28/16 at 08:06 PM

LostinTranslation
#122BRIGHT STAR Previews
Posted: 2/28/16 at 8:49pm

little_sally said: "goldenboy said:

Act One started off well but then I started getting confused and a little bored as it was a bit murky as to whose story it was. Alice or Billy's.

I too had this problem. I was confused as to why Alice leads the opening, singing about her "story," and then we're focused on Billy for the first ten minutes or so of the show. 

"

I find this interesting.  Although Alice sings the song, the staging (and vocal/orchestral arrangements) is deliberate in that at the end of the song the vocal arrangements are pared back so that Billy is in the spotlight and he is the last one singing, bringing us to focus on Billy's part of that story.  They aren't mutually exclusive.  I understand the comments, but the staging deliberately tries to bring the audience along in that regard.

broadwayboy223
#123BRIGHT STAR Previews
Posted: 2/29/16 at 12:29am

I'll be in the NYC area for a college visit the first weekend of April while I have time to see two shows my parents only want me to see one. I'm trying to decide between Bright Star, She Loves Me and Waitress.  I've seen a lot of positive things about Bright Star here and I love a charming original musical with good music. But I love what i've heard from Waitress and I just know She Loves Me is probably perfect so I have no idea what to choose. Any suggestions?

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#124BRIGHT STAR Previews
Posted: 2/29/16 at 1:02am

Why are your parents limiting you to one? Money?

If money is  the case there are rush tickets for Bright Star are 30$. There are student prices at Roundabout for She Loves Me. Waitress to will probably have some kind of rush.

If you are interested in classical musical theatre at its best see She Loves Me. Stellar cast and production. This is directed by Scott Ellis ... a great director

If you are interested in something entirely new see Bright Star. This is directed by Walter Bobbie who is also a great director. He directed the Chicago Revival.

If you are interested in seeing an adapted movie turned into a stage musical starring Tony Winner Jesse Mueller...see Waitress. Directed by Wunderkind Diane Paulus who directed Pippin Revival and Hair Revival. This is the one I haven't seen.

Videos