SHUFFLE ALONG Reviews

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#50SHUFFLE ALONG Reviews
Posted: 4/28/16 at 10:21pm

I posed this question in the Tony thread but people here seem pretty informed about Shuffle Along so ... There had been speculation that Audra McDonald could be deemed eligible for Featured Actress rather than lead. I'm not seeing the show until Wednesday (after early preview issues I wanted to wait until it was fully baked). What do people think?

Some of the other women eligible for lead actress this year are really carrying their shows with respect to stage time and heft of role. 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#51SHUFFLE ALONG Reviews
Posted: 4/28/16 at 10:23pm

songanddanceman2 said: "So he dislikes the book (the new thing about it) but likes the songs and talent. And it's a critics pick because that's ok? "

Not for nothing, but unless you've seen the show and the musical numbers in question, you can't really quibble with Brantley's decision to make it a critic's pick. When's the last time Broadway has seen musical numbers like this? Especially for a tap show- Savion Glover is an absolute master of the form, and his contributions make up a huge part of the evening. The musical numbers are integral to the whole piece. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#52SHUFFLE ALONG Reviews
Posted: 4/28/16 at 10:33pm

Sadly, Glovers work will probably be a victim of the onslaught. What a shame.

Poster Emeritus

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#53SHUFFLE ALONG Reviews
Posted: 4/28/16 at 10:43pm

songanddanceman2 said: "So he dislikes the book (the new thing about it) but likes the songs and talent. And it's a critics pick because that's ok? "

Brantley doesn't say he disliked the book- he found that Wolfe has overstuffed it, resulting in some clunkiness.

And this is a production that is more than the some of its parts.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#54SHUFFLE ALONG Reviews
Posted: 4/28/16 at 10:45pm

I still think if they had another month to work things out this could have been a flawless production. A good show that could/should have been great a great one.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Peter2 Profile Photo
Peter2
#55SHUFFLE ALONG Reviews
Posted: 4/28/16 at 10:46pm

Nice to see the mostly positive reviews. (Most of the criticisms I agree with, but the show's highs vastly outweigh them.) I hope this has a healthy run. I could listen to Audra McDonald sing every night of the week.

wolfwriter2
#56SHUFFLE ALONG Reviews
Posted: 4/28/16 at 10:51pm

Glad to see that the critics enjoyed this more than I did, but, I get the impression that the show is getting a 'participation trophy'. Were it not this cast, this director, this choreographer, would the flaws be so easily overlooked? I don't know, but it does leave one to wonder if the insanely high caliber of talent, overwhelmed the serious problems with the show.

I'm one who thinks if Audra wins, it will be because she's Audra. She isn't memorable or good in this. I do think she was miscast and yet somehow manages to be good, but just good not great, which I what I usually associate, with her.

theatreguy12
#57SHUFFLE ALONG Reviews
Posted: 4/28/16 at 11:08pm

Every person who sees this show will have a different take on it, and personal opinions will be diverse.

IMO though, I don't think the "flaws" and "clunkiness" are so overpowering that they unhinge the whole show.  I think calling it a "mess" is overstating things a bit.  It may not take the direction some might have liked it to take, but it's not that bad.  

But then again, that's my opinion.

To suggest AM isn't any good in this and is miscast though is something I don't agree with at all.  Lottie Gee is the character diva of the show, and I can't think of anyone more perfect to play her than the amazing Audra McDonald. For me it was perfect casting, and she does an amazing job.  

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#58SHUFFLE ALONG Reviews
Posted: 4/28/16 at 11:24pm

Audra does a fantastic job, but don't you agree she could play this role in her sleep? It doesn't particularly require her to stretch her emotional depths as an actor. I will say once more, were she not who she is, the performance would go unrecognized.

TBone Profile Photo
TBone
#59SHUFFLE ALONG Reviews
Posted: 4/28/16 at 11:41pm

TFMH18 said: "Audra does a fantastic job, but don't you agree she could play this role in her sleep? It doesn't particularly require her to stretch her emotional depths as an actor. I will say once more, were she not who she is, the performance would go unrecognized."

What does it matter if the role doesn't require her to "stretch her emotional depths as an actor" if she's still turning out a great performance?

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#60SHUFFLE ALONG Reviews
Posted: 4/28/16 at 11:44pm

TBone said: "What does it matter if the role doesn't require her to "stretch her emotional depths as an actor" if she's still turning out a great performance?"

Because if I'm buying a ticket to see a Tony record-setter with one of the most legendary and iconic Broadway names of all time, I'd like at this point in time to see something particularly special—beyond great. Please note I have yet to see Shuffle Along (going over the summer), so this isn't my commentary on her performance in the show. I just have to point out the fault I find in your logic.

theatreguy12
#61SHUFFLE ALONG Reviews
Posted: 4/28/16 at 11:44pm

She's definitely the consummate actress and I can see how this show would not be a terrible stretch for her (though I think she admitted she hasn't tapped in a decade so I'm sure that added a little to the dynamic for her).  At the end of the day, she does with the role what we would expect her to do with it.  And I loved her in it.

I do think she is well cast though because I really can't imagine anyone else in the role at this point.  A diva (though I'm not sure she would consider herself one) playing a diva.  I think it's a fine role for her.  

That being said, I love great choreography and I think Savion Glover is a genius.  I might have seen it just for that, even without Audra in it.  Having her in it though completed it for me.

Will the show flutter when she leaves?  Possibly.  But for me, that's a testament to how perfect she is in the role.  I hope it doesn't though, because she certainly isn't the only talent on that stage.  The other leads, the supporting cast and the chorus are all just dandy.

FlySkyHigh
#62SHUFFLE ALONG Reviews
Posted: 4/28/16 at 11:52pm

TFMH18 said: "Audra does a fantastic job, but don't you agree she could play this role in her sleep? It doesn't particularly require her to stretch her emotional depths as an actor. I will say once more, were she not who she is, the performance would go unrecognized.

"

I won't see the show until May, but from the reviews, how has she not stretched as an actor? Everyone is so used to her playing gut wrenching-baby killing-drug addicted roles. We know she can do them extremely well. On the other hand, we rarely see her do something lighter. It's nice to read she can do fun-flirty-sexy-sassy as well. It anything, it seems she did stretch her range as an actor by proving she can be comedic just as effectively. Also, I don't think the tap dancing described is exactly a cake walk, especially for someone not known for being a dancer.

Updated On: 4/28/16 at 11:52 PM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#63SHUFFLE ALONG Reviews
Posted: 4/28/16 at 11:55pm

In comparison to a role like Billie Holliday, which requires the actor to go to the deepest parts of their soul, Lottie doesn't necessarily seem like a stretch for Audra, true. But where her tremendous skills lies is that she takes this role and makes it all seem so easy. There's so much rich detail in her work- the scene with Florence Mills is a perfect example of it. She's nurturing and warm, yet very funny, and then she breaks your heart as the realization passes across her face that this woman is going to be a massive star and outshine her. It's not the kind of wrenching performance that she gave in Lady Day, but that doesn't mean she isn't mining the scenes for all they're worth. Other actors could certainly play Lottie very well, but what makes Audra's performance so special is that she doesn't have to stretch at all- from the second she walks on stage, she simply is that character. Six Tonys or not, it's an excellent performance by a living legend of the musical theater and a reminder of how lucky we all are that she continues to come back to Broadway. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

theatreguy12
#64SHUFFLE ALONG Reviews
Posted: 4/28/16 at 11:57pm

I agree, FlySkyHigh.

And just because she's a record setter doesn't mean that every role she takes on needs to prove exponentially superior to the role she played before.

I think it's because she is who she is that she can take the opportunity to step back and take on something that is special to her.  A gig she wants to do just for the passion and meaning behind the role. Even if it isn't deemed a stretch by some.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#65SHUFFLE ALONG Reviews
Posted: 4/28/16 at 11:57pm

Brantley got it right and a well deserved Critics' Pick!

One of my favorite shows this season.Once again, Audra seeks to amaze...She's Astonishing!

I predict 10 Tony nominations on Tuesday.

As the Hollywood Reporter states: It goes without saying at this point that there's nothing the superhuman McDonald can't do onstage, but rarely do we get to see her cut loose in exuberant comedic mode to the extent she does here...Even beyond her numbers, McDonald kills it with her timing -- every word, look or gesture smacks its target!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 4/29/16 at 11:57 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#66SHUFFLE ALONG Reviews
Posted: 4/28/16 at 11:58pm

I think this is the kind of show where we'll see a retooled/revamped version when it tours. Sounds like they've got some great pieces there, they just need to figure some stuff out, which I hope they do.

TBone Profile Photo
TBone
#67SHUFFLE ALONG Reviews
Posted: 4/29/16 at 12:02am

BroadwayConcierge said: "TBone said: "What does it matter if the role doesn't require her to "stretch her emotional depths as an actor" if she's still turning out a great performance?"

Because if I'm buying a ticket to see a Tony record-setter with one of the most legendary and iconic Broadway names of all time, I'd like at this point in time to see something particularly special—beyond great. Please note I have yet to see Shuffle Along (going over the summer), so this isn't my commentary on her performance in the show. I just have to point out the fault I find in your logic."

Isn't it possible she's giving a great performance (worthy of a Broadway star), even if it isn't a stretch for her?

Updated On: 4/29/16 at 12:02 AM

aaaaaa15
#68SHUFFLE ALONG Reviews
Posted: 4/29/16 at 12:51am

Well, according to show-score.com, Shuffle Along is coming second in the critics opinion of new musicals this season (presuming we're considering this a new musical). Not too shabby at all.

HAMILTON: 94

SHUFFLE ALONG: 83

ON YOUR FEET: 75

WAITRESS: 75

SCHOOL OF ROCK: 74

ALLEGIANCE: 71

BRIGHT STAR: 66

DISASTER: 65

TUCK EVERLASTING: 65

AMERICAN PSYCHO: 62

AMAZING GRACE: 58

Updated On: 4/29/16 at 12:51 AM

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#69SHUFFLE ALONG Reviews
Posted: 4/29/16 at 12:54am

With all this amazing talent in one show---will it have a life after Broadway with 'new' talent?

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#70SHUFFLE ALONG Reviews
Posted: 4/29/16 at 4:07am

I find this response fascinating.

It seems generally accepted that Act 1 is a work of genius, act 2 more difficult.  But the same people who made the first half made the second, too.  Clearly, they did what they wanted- this reminds me of a Prince/ Sondheim collaboration such as Pacific Overtures- they know not everybody will go with them, or even get it, but they are saying what they want to say they way they want to.

ChiTheaterFan
#71SHUFFLE ALONG Reviews
Posted: 4/29/16 at 7:41am

I think those who are saying this isn't a stretch for her are seriously underestimating how difficult it is to play a comedic role. Think of how many great comedic actors we've seen transition to meaty dramatic roles, but you don't see it happen the other way around that often. 

I haven't seen it yet, but this does sound like a departure from her prior performances. I'm very excited to see it next month. I was supposed to see it Saturday night but changed in my tickets when I learned she was out. 

rjm516
#72SHUFFLE ALONG Reviews
Posted: 4/29/16 at 9:06am

Some of these reviews are making me rethink my one free show slot in coming up. I was going to see Waitress or even American Psycho but now I feel like I can't miss this. (I'll have another visit in the fall/winter...do we think all 3 will still be playing? ack.)

After Eight
#73SHUFFLE ALONG Reviews
Posted: 4/29/16 at 9:12am

"now I feel like I can't miss this."

You can miss it. Actually, you can save your money and miss all three.

"(I'll have another visit in the fall/winter...do we think all 3 will still be playing? ack.)"

I think Waitress and Shuffle Along will. Not so sure about American Psycho.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#74SHUFFLE ALONG Reviews
Posted: 4/29/16 at 9:46am

Or be like After Eight, and continuously spend money to see shows you know you'll dislike and then come here and tell everyone how unworthy they are of your time.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."