pixeltracker

Censorship on the BroadwayWorld Boards- Page 2

Censorship on the BroadwayWorld Boards

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#25Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/3/16 at 9:06am

Dollypop said: "Let me clarify the "Minnelli Deli" night:

Someone had started a thread about Joey Minnelli and it was posed as a question. Something like "Is Joey Minnelli related to Liza Minnelli? I started another thread titled something like "Is Liza Minnelli related to Victor Spinelli?" That began a whole evening of Minnelli madness. People started threads about Milli. Vanilli Minnelli,  Marty Minnelli, and The Minnelli Deli. Before long everyone was starting Minnelli threads and it went on for pages.It was hilarious but it couldn't go on forever because humor like that would go stale. Yes, all those pages were deleted, but it didn't't bother me. It was time to do so.
"

Wasn't there also a Vanessa Williams night? I'm thinking that was 2007/2008 based on the apartment I was living in at the time I remember reading that thread.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#26Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/3/16 at 4:47pm

What is this thread even about? It's sort of hard to follow when there isn't really context given for those who weren't involved.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#27Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/3/16 at 6:01pm

I'm not sure what this thread is about - but it's probably the only place where I can write that it's a shame Patty Murin won't be able to do a number from Nerds on the Tony Awards.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#28Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/13/16 at 12:23am

A thread discussing if/when Tuck Everlasting will post its closing notice was just erased. I don't recall any posts on there extending beyond objective observation of its marketing strategies and box office sales... Any explanation as to why?

(I wonder if we can use this thread going forward when other threads are deleted for no apparent reason to further understand such calls.)

RockyRoad Profile Photo
RockyRoad
#29Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/13/16 at 2:18am

"If you do not like the present, it is your duty to create the future.
JFK

I agree that the censorship at BWW has got out of hand. The fact that one party dictates how and what is being discussed is revolting. The days here are numbered.

Historically looking back will give you an interesting perspective. See, I've been here since the first day, not under this screen name but under "Mr. Tuttle." BWW was created by Rob (who I've had numerous emails with over he years and has always been wonderful)after Broadway.com closed their boards.

They closed their message boards because there were too many "loose cannon" threads about "dangerous" topics like "When will RENT close?" At the time, Broadway.com was morphing into the greedy ticket machine it is today. They didn't want to offend shows and producers with evil public thoughts of members. So BWW was created.

And now....BWW is turning into Broadway.com. Too scared they might offend an producer or a "star" and their members pay the price. When one gives into the money, there's no turning back. Oh, there will still be boards for advertising sake. Full of threads of how much someone loves Wicked and Sutton Foster, but there won't be any real discussions.

The ride here was great. We had some fun....we had some laughs. But, as Betty Comden, Adolph Green, and Jule Styne said, "the party's over".

Updated On: 5/13/16 at 02:18 AM

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#30Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/13/16 at 2:34am

The sad thing is I don't think the editors and owners have quite accepted their trajectory yet.  They are aware of "the way we were" and have not recognized how they are changing.  Soon it will be too late.

BWW used to service the fans; now it services the PR machine

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#31Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/13/16 at 3:11am

Honestly I think all of you should just let it go. You're coming off as pathetic and petty little martyrs just bitching and moaning about Patti Murin. 

Some of you act like she's murdered your first born or worse. 

Some of you don't know when to leave well enough alone. 

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#32Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/13/16 at 6:41am

Some people are coming off as apologists.

brian1973
#33Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/13/16 at 7:09am

I have no idea what this Murin thing is all about, and what was said. But imagine you are her.. And YOU are being discussed by faceless people on a Broadway message board.. It's pretty embarrassing. And knowing how these boards go- I'm sure it veered into negative things being said and that can very easily become bullying. We all have anonymity.. These people don't.

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#34Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/13/16 at 7:12am

Nobody was talking about her before she made that blog post. That's a fact.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

brian1973
#35Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/13/16 at 8:02am

I'm intrigued...what's the full story here please?!

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#36Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/13/16 at 8:13am

I don't think we can post it because it will just get deleted.

....but the world goes 'round

10086sunset
#37Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/13/16 at 8:34am

brian1973 said: "I'm intrigued...what's the full story here please?!

"

I would suggest starting with her blog post, which kicked off the entire storm.

JM226
#38Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/13/16 at 8:38am

brian1973 said: "I'm intrigued...what's the full story here please?!

"

it had everything to do with the (cancelled) show she was going to appear in but nothing to do with HER as a person/performer -- except for one single stupid, and immature, comment about her vocal range. i think. i have no patience for apologists, though. especially those who like to use hyperbole by labeling the complainers as "petty little martyrs." i mean... really??? i didn't realize only Patti Murin can complain and no one else is entitled to that.  nope. only she is. right? 

daisybeetle Profile Photo
daisybeetle
#39Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/13/16 at 10:21am

Reading the "Unpopular opinions you hold" thread makes me think if it were started today and not in 2011, it wouldn't pass the Murin test-- too many honest opinions about performers and their shows!

ChiTheaterFan
#40Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/13/16 at 10:47am

Yet it's ok for them to use the word "twat" in a BWW article because it is an ALW quote?  Somehow I imagine if I used the actual scientific name for which it was a synonym my post would be deleted. Either they don't know what it means, or it's only ok to refer to lady parts by vulgar slang. 

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#41Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/13/16 at 10:50am

But, as Betty Comden, Adolph Green, and Jule Styne said, "the party's over". 

Only Betty and Adolph wrote "the party's over.

Jule Styne wrote "da dada DEE dah."

mailhandler777
#42Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/13/16 at 11:23am

JM226 said: "brian1973 said: "I'm intrigued...what's the full story here please?!

"it had everything to do with the (cancelled) show she was going to appear in but nothing to do with HER as a person/performer -- except for one single stupid, and immature, comment about her vocal range. i think. i have no patience for apologists, though. especially those who like to use hyperbole by labeling the complainers as "petty little martyrs." i mean... really??? i didn't realize only Patti Murin can complain and no one else is entitled to that.  nope. only she is. right?
"

It had nothing to do with Nerds being cancelled. It had to do with people saying stuff that wasn't the nicest. One person she brought up a lot on that radio podcast was that dude that called a performer mentally ****. That was the biggest issue.  

Also an issue was that we are all(almost all of us) are posting anonymously and not using our real names. What I said about her vocal range as Glinda was a complete misunderstanding of something I thought was true from a source I thought was legit.  

One thing that separates me from the others called out was my comment was personal against her. Another thing was I'm the only one that she knew personally but obviously had no clue it was someone she knew posting this rumor about her since I use a screen name that isn't my real name(this was before I put my real name in my signature on here).

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

JM226
#43Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/13/16 at 4:25pm

okay. Whether it was NERDS or Chad Kimball, who cares? At the end of the day... It wasn't about her. But she succeeded in making it all about her.  You wanna talk about martyrdom? Patti is next to the word in the dictionary. 

Margo319
#44Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/13/16 at 4:51pm

She is now a contributor to this website.  She writes articles for them.  She has a lot more power now.  

I believe the Tuck Everlasting thread was taken down because, much like other similar threads, it seems like it's trashing a show ("it will be gone soon"Censorship on the BWW Boards which is probably taken very offensively by people involved in the show.  Just my guess.  Unless someone was attacking an actor personally in the thread?  Unclear.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#45Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/13/16 at 11:40pm

How is the truth offensive?   Personally, I don't like those threads either.. .because the answer is: The show will close when the producers (or the theater owners) have had enough.

As to opinions on a show before anyone has seen it?  Also legit. I don't believe I'd enjoy a Spongebob Musical. To ME it sounds stupid.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#46Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/13/16 at 11:49pm

She is now a contributor to this website.  She writes articles for them.  She has a lot more power now.  

Oh, for crap's sake. Stop being melodramatic. She has no "power."

She's just an actress who used the 995 of us for own self-aggrandizement, and she owes that 99% an APOLOGY.

Do you hear me, Patti? You owe us an APOLOGY.

ghostlight2
#47Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/14/16 at 12:34am

"Oh, for crap's sake. Stop being melodramatic. She has no "power."

She's just an actress who used the 995 [sic] of us for own self-aggrandizement, and she owes that 99% an APOLOGY.

Do you hear me, Patti? You owe us an APOLOGY."

She seems to have power over you, as you have demanded an apology from her at minimum a dozen times. Why do you care? Sure, she said some really tone-deaf things. She's hypocritical, to be sure - but if, as you say, "She has no "power", why does it matter so much to you that you get an apology from her?

You know you are never going to get that apology, don't you?

Margo319
#48Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/14/16 at 12:38am

HAHA.  Obviously she has power over you.  You are the person (the only person) here demanding, for WEEKS on end, that she OWES you an apology.  She was talking about abuse on the boards.  That was clear.  

Stop being so melodramatic dude.  She owes you absolutely nothing.  

"She seems to have power over you, as you have demanded an apology from her at minimum a dozen times. Why do you care? Sure, she said some really tone-deaf things. She's hypocritical, to be sure - but if, as you say, "She has no "power", why does it matter so much to you that you get an apology from her?

You know you are never going to get that apology, don't you?"

YES! YES! A THOUSAND TIMES YES!!!!

Updated On: 5/14/16 at 12:38 AM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#49Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/14/16 at 9:12am

You know you are never going to get that apology, don't you?"

No, actually. I believe she will apologize to all of us eventually. I believe she already knows that she has done us wrong.

I believe she realized she was wrong the moment she adopted my use of the "99%" phrase. That was her acknowledgment that she had tarred us all with her too-broad brush.

Now it's just her pride and her ego standing in the way of an apology. When she finds a gracious way to say "I'm sorry" (without fully admitting that she was wrong, which no one likes to do), she will come round. I say this because we have mutual friends (in real life) who assure me she is a decent and caring person and not the narcissistic opportunist she appears to be to the 99% of us she harmed with her theatrics.

I have told people who know her that she harmed the kids who come here out of love for the theater, the older people who com e here to reminisce, the women who formed communities of theater-lovers helping each other through breast cancer treatments (both successful and non successful)m the Rentheads,m the Wicked lovers, the Sondheimists, the Lloyd Webberites, the Cabaret and Hedwig devotees.

Theater-lovers she made to feel embarrassed and ashamed of coming here to share our love--and why did she do it? Because one callow boy posted that she couldn't hit the high note in Wicked (he has since apologized) and then some people made fun of a show that was closing.

And for those two slights  (and other similarly petty transgressions), she thought it right and good to run a campaign of vilifying the rest of us.

She KNOWS she owes us an apology, and she knows we will not forget.

Don't speak of power. The only power is love.

Updated On: 5/14/16 at 09:12 AM