pixeltracker

Censorship on the BroadwayWorld Boards- Page 4

Censorship on the BroadwayWorld Boards

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#75Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/15/16 at 9:37am

Have any of you participated in other chat boards? In my experience, they are all the same. They are a slice of life, and that includes niceties, snark, bullying, and kindness. I've never seen one where everyone was nice to each other. I don't see that in real life either. 

Maybe Patti has achieved the impossible-creating a board which is all nice!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#76Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/15/16 at 9:45am

^ And while that makes me sad, I know it is true.  Heck, I've seen HELP/SUPPORT group's members treat each other like crap.  And of course, read the comments to ANY new article or FB post.  People are vicious.  I visit one group that I know systematically removes members/posts when they don't live up to guidelines.  ONE.

That doesn't make it right, but at least we know its not just us.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#77Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/15/16 at 10:19am

Jane2 said: "Have any of you participated in other chat boards?"

Yup. Before I came to this one, and was quickly driven away because of what Margo319, ghostlight2, and After Eight very truthfully and accurately describe, I posted at the DressCircle message board in the UK. It was a civil, supportive and respectful place to be. We were all very saddened when it had to shut down (twice - a bunch of us and the shop owner took it upon ourselves to revive it after the brick and mortar shop had to close, but ultimately it couldn't survive).

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#78Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/15/16 at 10:24am

Bottom line-there are all kinds of people in the world, and on message boards. Some step away from dissension and some welcome it. I doubt this will change.

ghostlight2
#79Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/15/16 at 10:25am

"I've seen HELP/SUPPORT group's members treat each other like crap.  And of course, read the comments to ANY new article or FB post.  People are vicious.  I visit one group that I know systematically removes members/posts when they don't live up to guidelines.  ONE."

And I know of several. Perhaps it's a matter of where you are choosing to visit. Sure, people are vicious, and flame wars between individuals happen. That said, the negative way in which BWW stands out to me is the way the old guard has a tendency to gang up on an individual.

"And it will be even better when Patti decides to do the right thing and take responsibility for her actions and apologizes to the 99% of us for the true act of bullying she perpetrated on the 99% of us, attempting to shut down our home."

You've been obsessive, now you're beginning to sound delusional. It is obvious by this thread alone that your "99%" figure is not remotely close to accurate. Please stop using it. While you're at it, please stop talking for other people. You do not represent this board. You certainly do not represent me. The possessiveness of this board some of you have is a little bizarre too. You don't own it, nor is it your "home". The only thing that will change IF she ever apologizes is that (hopefully) you'll stop talking about it.

"I really don't care about patty murin, but it's funny how she wants the boards to be nicer, but was quiet [?] happy with some of here [sic] over zealous fans to wish death upon people than [sic] retweet it."

IIRC, there was one fan who made mention of the board "dying in a fire", and while initially, yes, Murin did respond positively to it, she later apologized. I have seen no less than a dozen posts wishing for Murin's death here. While I doubt anyone was serious, in her case, it is an actual possibility as her name and face are known. Ours are not. See the difference?

"As for nobody being harmed, I'm not so sure. A few of the longtime members have left the board."

And that harms them how? Two of those longtime members, I believe, were temporarily suspended for rule-breaking, and took that opportunity to take their ball and go home after having their wrists slapped. One of those has now taken up a creepy twitter stalking campaign against Murin. He uses a moniker that paints himself as a martyr. There have been many not so veiled threats in some of those tweets. It's more than a little disturbing.

Updated On: 5/15/16 at 10:25 AM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#80Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/15/16 at 10:29am

• Have you all noticed that when there's a thread with bickering and snark the number of views skyrockets? People here will complain about it, but they just love to read it.

ArtMan
#81Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/15/16 at 10:37am

Jane2 said: "

• Have you all noticed that when there's a thread with bickering and snark the number of views skyrockets? People here will complain about it, but they just love to read it.

"

And of course the owners of this board LOVE it.  The higher the number of visits/views to the site, the more advertising dollars it attracts.  It is actually quite hypocritical.

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#82Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/15/16 at 10:42am

Jane2 said: "Bottom line-there are all kinds of people in the world, and on message boards. Some step away from dissension and some welcome it. I doubt this will change."

Speaking for myself, I didn't step away from dissension. I stepped away from a rampant, egotistical cyberbully and his cronies.

Even though I left, I still followed the board w/o posting because in spite of that clique, there were a lot of posts from others that I found interesting.

It's not a coincidence that I began posting again so soon after that whole Patti thing. I never really stopped following the board, and from what I'd read, I hoped that there would be change.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#83Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/15/16 at 10:53am

Artman - SO hypocritical. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#84Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/15/16 at 11:07am

dramamama is correct, the comment section on basically any Facebook article is filled with the most terrible things people could think of to say.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#85Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/15/16 at 11:10am

That's so strange- I never see anything like that on Facebook. It leads me to believe there is strict censorship there.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#86Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/15/16 at 11:16am

ghostlight, it was Patti herself who used the term "99%" and I believe it is in reference to that Pal Joey keeps using it. 

I actually think does owe the rest of us an apology too. She claimed the whole place was cesspool and the boards needed to be shut down. Her written words. Then she backtracked in her podcast and said well actually 99% of the people who post are great. It's only 1% who are horrible and need to go/be disciplined. Well fine. If she had stated that from the start I think many would have been on her side. Instead, she decided it would be best to say we were all awful. 1% of a group does not a cesspool make. Sorry. 

Then she stated that she only demanded the boards be shutdown in order to get some attention. She "knew" it wouldn't happen. More backtracking, and even if it were true, should you really inflate a crime just to be heard? If some slaps you should you yell rape just to be heard even though you know the charge will never stick? 

I don't know what you do for a living, but if I had a bad experience with an employee at your company and wrote something saying everyone who works at your company is lazy, greedy, swindling their customers, etc and the company should be sold out and all the jobs outsourced to India wouldn't you be mad? What if I then retracted and said, well actually 99% of the employees are great, but that 1% should really be retrained or let go. Shouldn't I, you know, apologize to the 99% that I, BY MY OWN ADMISSION, wrongfully slandered? 

I'm not saying she owes us millions in a court case for pain and suffering- I think a simple, genuine apology would do the trick. That's all. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#87Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/15/16 at 11:26am

Jayne - I don't mean on individual posts, but on articles.  Heck, almost everytime FOOD NETWORK posts something, people are all up in arms and flaming them.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#88Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/15/16 at 11:34am

Whizzer makes a great point: any way you look at it, Patti has been disingenuous. She should apologize -- and do it here, not on her podcast or insist that people "come to her" on Twitter -- but she won't. I won't lose a moment's sleep over it. I'll just choose not to support her in any way moving forward, just as I won't be buying any of Kurt Deutsch's cast recordings from here on out. Vote with your wallets, people. It's the most important vote you have.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Sunny11
#89Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/15/16 at 11:36am

I don't think that Pattis claim that this place is a cesspit and wanting it shut down is any worse than the dozens of theads on here about how "the show" sucks and " I can't wait for it to close". The latter had the out come of hunderds of people losing paying jobs though. 

Updated On: 5/15/16 at 11:36 AM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#90Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/15/16 at 11:44am

Sunny raises a problem that I think needs further clarification. There is a significant difference between users who say things like "I can't wait for this terrible show to close" versus users having a frank and objective discussion about a production's box office totals, marketing/PR decisions, cast social media statements, etc., and venturing to guess when a closing notice might be posted. We are more than 100% entitled to engage in the latter, and it was that conversation about Nerds that Ms. Murin misinterpreted in an offensive manner. I'd also argue that we're equally entitled to say statements such as the former, as disheartening and inappropriate as they are, but I won't go that far right now. But having an evenhanded conversation about terminal shows is not "bad" in my view whatsoever.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#91Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/15/16 at 11:47am

The difference from where I'm sitting is that an anonymous poster on here saying "I can't wait for that stupid show to close" wields no actual influence, much as some would like to think it does. Patti Murin and her cadre, on the other hand, do.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#92Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/15/16 at 12:01pm

She should apologize -- and do it here, not on her podcast or insist that people "come to her" on Twitter -- but she won't.

I think, in the end, she will. She will find a way to do the right thing, and she will.

Updated On: 5/15/16 at 12:01 PM

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#93Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/15/16 at 12:32pm

In my opinion Rob owes us a apology as well.  

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Margo319
#94Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/15/16 at 1:17pm

"You've been obsessive, now you're beginning to sound delusional. It is obvious by this thread alone that your "99%" figure is not remotely close to accurate. Please stop using it. While you're at it, please stop talking for other people. You do not represent this board. You certainly do not represent me. The possessiveness of this board some of you have is a little bizarre too. You don't own it, nor is it your "home".

Thank you After Eight.  He's one of the last remaining people to act this way that is still around, so thank you for speaking out.  And never admitting to trolling new member threads or telling new users to leave is shameful and pathetic.  The only behavior one can except from someone like that, unfortunately. 

You owe us nothing Patti and Rob. Thank you for making this a place where death threats, horrible verbal abuse, stalking, and bullying is no longer tolerated.  I believe now people will come here and feel safer.  

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#95Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/15/16 at 1:39pm

So are you going to stop scolding people, Margo? If you wanted to contribute seriously here, you would contribute more than to these kinds of threads. If you have spoken about anything else, my apologies. But, don't make yourself look better when you may not be "bullying," but everything you post seems to be putting people down for not liking censorship or when others outside of this board have done some not cool things to actors. 

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Margo319
#96Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/15/16 at 3:14pm

Haha. I contribute to other threads about shows and my opinions concerning many other things constantly.  Look it up.  Thanks though, I accept your apology.   

BeadleDeedle Profile Photo
BeadleDeedle
#97Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/15/16 at 3:40pm

Well not to be a "bully" but the scolds on this thread (who are almost always scolds on every thread) are a bore to read. Always the same self righteous claptrap. And zero sense of humor. 

"You're so nice. You're not good, you're not bad, you're just nice."

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#98Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/15/16 at 4:00pm

there are new snarkers  rising to the top, now that the main ones are gone.  That's what happens even in school. When the students at the top graduate, a new group will rise to the top. Only in school it's a good thing.

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#99Censorship on the BWW Boards
Posted: 5/15/16 at 4:12pm

I know it's unlikely, but I think Patti should also take responsibility for all of the ignorant support her initial blog post garnered given that they all were simply piggybacking on her "shut 'em down" crusade. It was disheartening to see many in the community so blindly dismiss the type of fans who come here.

Without the support of the breed of theatergoers that populate this board, those individuals would find themselves performing in half-empty concert halls and with boxes of solo albums that only their friends and families would be interested in buying. But then again, how could any of the people paying to consume their work truly understand the existence of the "tortured artist?"