pixeltracker

Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness- Page 3

Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#50Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/3/16 at 2:27pm

Dancingthrulife2 said: "Time to post the screenshot. The tweet is already a goner."

Somebody already posted! Number 43.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#51Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/3/16 at 2:36pm

I don't read it as saltiness as much as honesty.  But I'll say one thing, I almost hope she's bitter because I would be really upset if she thought of her talent any less because of the way she was received by the nominating committees this season.  I thought her performance was excellent (better than Brooks' in my opinion), but regardless of whether or not she got a Tony nomination, she is still SUPREMELY talented and is giving a very good performance in that show.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#52Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/3/16 at 2:43pm

JBroadway said: "It is a widely held belief among storytellers that comedy is much more difficult to do well than drama. In the Tony voters' opinion, Simmard gave a better comedic performance than Hudson gave a dramatic performance. Should we split the categories by genre to keep us from comparing apples to oranges? Maybe, but that's not the way it is. Please don't discredit a performance just because it's a comedic one. "

I am a big believer in comedic performances getting recognized. My comment had less to do with comedy vs. drama and more to do with my distaste for what a tacky show DISASTER! seems to be. But you know what? You are right, I shouldn't be dismissing Jennifer Simmard simply because I wanted Hudson to get in. At the end of the day, she earned more votes than Hudson and got the nomination, good for her.

I have been pretty vocal about my dislike of Hudson as an actor. Her performance in the dialogue scenes of DREAMGIRLS is horrific, and she has been similarly weak in her other film/TV work (I hear she's good in CHI-RAQ though I have yet to see it). I was thoroughly surprised by her work in THE COLOR PURPLE, however. I will say, Hudson wasn't good in DREAMGIRLS but to say that Beyonce's wooden, robotic and self-conscious performance in that film is any better is a bit much. Eddie Murphy and Anika Noni Rose were the only ones who knew what they were doing in that movie.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Wilmingtom
#53Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/3/16 at 3:19pm

The context of Hudson's tweet is that, on the Tony web site's announcement of nominations, they lead The Color Purple blurb with "Jennifer Hudson makes her Broadway debut..."  So yes, they're using her name to promote the show and, as Hudson says, no surpise there.  I think she meant the tweet ironically, not bitterly.

Wilmingtom
#54Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/3/16 at 3:19pm

The context of Hudson's tweet is that, on the Tony web site's announcement of nominations, they lead The Color Purple blurb with "Jennifer Hudson makes her Broadway debut..."  So yes, they're using her name to promote the show and, as Hudson says, no surpise there.  I think she meant the tweet ironically, not bitterly.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#55Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/3/16 at 3:30pm

And to be fair, it's reasonable to be upset in the moment when your show scored so many nominations, including the other two stars, and you're left out.

ETA: Probably shouldn't take to twitter so quickly though.....

....but the world goes 'round
Updated On: 5/3/16 at 03:30 PM

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#56Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/3/16 at 3:32pm

But that blurb is not the Tony Awards choice, that's the approved copy of the show, unless they've changed it to reflect Heather already. That "Jennifer Hudson makes her Broadway debut..." has always been there as the first line in the show's description. I guess she's never read The Color Purple website. Or anything from the show's marketing department in the history of ever.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#57Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/3/16 at 3:35pm

It was odd casting from the get go, honestly. I was surprised at how little "moments" she has in the show given how big of a star she is. Hopefully someone writes her a role or something. Her version of "I'm Here" is pretty incredible. 

BwayGeek2 Profile Photo
BwayGeek2
#58Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/3/16 at 3:35pm

This must have been how Beyonce felt when she lost the Academy Award to Jennifer for Dreamgirls. 

DontTellPaul2 Profile Photo
DontTellPaul2
#59Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/3/16 at 3:38pm

everythingtaboo said: "But that blurb is not the Tony Awards choice, that's the approved copy of the show, unless they've changed it to reflect Heather already. That "Jennifer Hudson makes her Broadway debut..." has always been there as the first line in the show's description. I guess she's never read The Color Purple website. Or anything from the show's marketing department in the history of ever."

Jennifer was not referring to this particular usage of her name. She meant in general.

Petralicious Profile Photo
Petralicious
#60Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/3/16 at 4:00pm

BwayGeek2 said: "This must have been how Beyonce felt when she lost the Academy Award to Jennifer for Dreamgirls. 

" Oh Please JH totally deserved and stole that movie from wooden Beyonce. 

When They Go Low, I Go High

VintageSnarker
#61Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/3/16 at 4:10pm

"Her performance was not good enough. She has a hell of a voice but she didn't bother to act. She doesn't deserve to be nominated."

I do think she's gotten better and her voice sounded fantastic but from an acting standpoint, it was not a Tony-nomination worthy performance. 

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#62Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/3/16 at 4:17pm

I think her chances of a nomination diminished greatly with the announcement of her departure, frankly.

theaterdrew Profile Photo
theaterdrew
#63Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/3/16 at 4:39pm

She's not mad. She's fishing for compliments.

smidge
#64Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/3/16 at 5:23pm

BwayGeek2 said: "This must have been how Beyonce felt when she lost the Academy Award to Jennifer for Dreamgirls. 

When did Beyonce lose an Academy Award to Jennifer? When was Beyonce nominated for an Academy Award?

"

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#65Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/3/16 at 5:33pm

When was Beyonce even eligible in the same category as Jennifer for an Academy Award?

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#66Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/3/16 at 5:59pm

NOWaWarning said: "I think her chances of a nomination diminished greatly with the announcement of her departure, frankly."

I agree - I think this is the main reason. That and the fact that there were so many quality contenders this year. It's not that her performance wasn't Tony-worthy, it's just that there can be only five. (Well, potentially six.)

fengshuihellnyc
#67Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/3/16 at 6:40pm

JBroadway said: "Holy crap! How immature! 

I just took a screenshot of that. Knowing how these things go, she'll probably delete that tweet very soon. 

Post it post it post it!!!!!

she deleted the post   I wanna see what it said!

smidge
#68Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/3/16 at 6:55pm

fengshuihellnyc said: "JBroadway said: "Holy crap! How immature! 

I just took a screenshot of that. Knowing how these things go, she'll probably delete that tweet very soon. 

Post it post it post it!!!!!

she deleted the post   I wanna see what it said!

Just look at #43 in this thread. No doubt Jennifer Hudson is talented. But no one should have expected a nomination for her. Has any organization besides the Drama League recognized her performance?

"

indytallguy
#69Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/3/16 at 7:03pm

There are all sorts of possible interpretations for that tweet. I'm not sure why it really matters.

iluvtheatertrash
#70Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/3/16 at 7:22pm

It might be hard to imagine "a nun singing to a slot machine" being better than Ms. Hudson, but if you haven't seen DISASTER, how would you know? Jennifer Simard's performance is a comic miracle, and she is the breakout star of the show. It is, without a doubt, the funniest performance of the season, if not the past few seasons as well. Jennifer Hudson is fine. Even good. Simard is incredible. 

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#71Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/3/16 at 7:28pm

Contrast this tweet to Audra's classy tweet about not being nominated (along with a separate tweet of encouragement to Ana Villafane) and you realize just why Audra is universally loved in this industry. 

chanel
everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#73Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/3/16 at 7:48pm

DontTellPaul2 said: "everythingtaboo said: "But that blurb is not the Tony Awards choice, that's the approved copy of the show, unless they've changed it to reflect Heather already. That "Jennifer Hudson makes her Broadway debut..." has always been there as the first line in the show's description. I guess she's never read The Color Purple website. Or anything from the show's marketing department in the history of ever."

Jennifer was not referring to this particular usage of her name. She meant in general.

"

Sorry I was responding  to #54, I really need to use this quote feature. 

But again I'm still not sure who she's mad at. The Tonys? The Purple producers? John Doyle? 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#74Jennifer Hudson tweets saltiness
Posted: 5/3/16 at 8:10pm

That comment sounds more to me like she's pissed at the PR folks and producers who didn't "present her" during the nomination process as Tony-worthy. Lousy marketing in her eyes. Her "celebrity" wasn't used by the cast, so that remark is not biting back at them.

She feels like her performance was overshadowed by her name on the marquee.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22