pixeltracker

Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway- Page 4

Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway

binau Profile Photo
binau
#75Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway
Posted: 5/26/16 at 3:14am

Curious to know what the financial prospects of this show are. If this show follows the initial momentum of Fun Home, Gentlemen's Guide and Next to Normal it would have probably been better for the show to open next spring.

I feel a little anxious because if things don't go well it might pack up shop and I won't be able to see it Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 5/26/16 at 03:14 AM

HSky
#76Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway
Posted: 5/26/16 at 6:44am

ClumsyDude15 said: "I believe it's briefly mentioned at one point that it takes place in California. It also would explain why they are in summer clothes the entire time."

There's a reference to Colorado, where it isn't set, (that's been in since DC) and the baseballs that Larry has in Act 2 are all signed by Baltimore Orioles. (I don't remember that at the first NY preview I saw but it was there by opening.) The only other geographic hint I can think of is the area code projected when Heidi calls Evan but that doesn't mean much in today's society when people move but keep their number. I'm blanking on what it is but want to say it might begin with a 9?

Broadway Forever2
#77Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway
Posted: 5/26/16 at 8:08am

So excted. Ben platt is so talented so I'm glad he's finally getting recognition and the story seems great. Hopefully it's a hit 

JM226
#78Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway
Posted: 5/26/16 at 8:30am

HSky said: "ClumsyDude15 said: "I believe it's briefly mentioned at one point that it takes place in California. It also would explain why they are in summer clothes the entire time."

There's a reference to Colorado, where it isn't set, (that's been in since DC) and the baseballs that Larry has in Act 2 are all signed by Baltimore Orioles. (I don't remember that at the first NY preview I saw but it was there by opening.) The only other geographic hint I can think of is the area code projected when Heidi calls Evan but that doesn't mean much in today's society when people move but keep their number. I'm blanking on what it is but want to say it might begin with a 9?

"

there is no defined setting or location. it is ambiguous. you could probably place it most anywhere except maybe regions with distinct dialects/accents which leaves out the south and parts of the plains or midwest.  safe to assume this could take place on either the west or east coast.  you're right -- they never indicate the season except for at the end in the orchard but that clearly wasnt something they worried about too much nor is it very relevant to the story. i would personally agree that the suburbs outside of D.C. or Baltimore make sense but who knows.  

Broadway Forever2
#79Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway
Posted: 5/26/16 at 8:38am

qolbinau said: "Curious to know what the financial prospects of this show are. If this show follows the initial momentum of Fun Home, Gentlemen's Guide and Next to Normal it would have probably been better for the show to open next spring.

I feel a little anxious because if things don't go well it might pack up shop because I can see it Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway

"

I'm a bit worried it might close early too. It doesn't have a "name" to sell it. (i doubt Ben Platt can really sell it but I guess they can say he's from Pitch Perfect which might drive interest in young women). I' m surprised it's opening in November. Hopefully it does well. 

neonlightsxo
#80Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway
Posted: 5/26/16 at 9:01am

Wow, LOTS of posts from this thread got deleted since yesterday.

To those worried about the show succeeding without a name: The Humans is doing just fine. It's possible.

PJPan
#81Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway
Posted: 5/26/16 at 9:32am

"I'm a bit worried it might close early too. It doesn't have a "name" to sell it. (i doubt Ben Platt can really sell it but I guess they can say he's from Pitch Perfect which might drive interest in young women). I' m surprised it's opening in November. Hopefully it does well. "

While I don't think Ben Platt alone can sell out the show, he does have a huge online following that I'm sure will make use of the winter break to come see the show and give it the bump it needs. Solid reviews won't hurt it, either.

Lord, I'd love for both he and Rachel Bay Jones to get nominations from this.

kreichelt
#82Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway
Posted: 5/26/16 at 9:37am

The opening number is a real challenge.  I really love the song.  As a parent, "Anybody Have a Map" could be my anthem.  The issue is you expect it to be a song about Evan, or about the families (e.g., Next to Normal's Just Another Day)  not a song about the Moms.  But I really like the song, and it's a great intro to the tension in the two families.  I'm not sure what the solution is, or if a solution is needed.  But I really hope they keep the song.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

As for Connor's character, isn't one of the points that we don't really know him?  I mean, Evan creates a backstory for him, and we find ourselves wanting to believe in the personality he creates.  But we know very little of what he was actually like, except for what's hinted at through his sister's recollections and what we see of him in the first couple of scenes.  I don't think they should develop his character.  I think it would ruin the conflict in our own minds between the history of what Evan creates and what we imagine he might really have been like.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#83Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway
Posted: 5/26/16 at 9:40am

I think this show will run at least a year and initial sales will be brisk.  I loved it at 2nd Stage and can't wait to buy tickets for the fall.  There's no doubt in my mind that there will be 2017 Tony noms for Pasek and Paul, Ben Platt and Rachel Bay Jones.

I can't wait for the OBCR.

aaaaaa15
#84Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway
Posted: 5/26/16 at 10:45am

I'm sure the producers will do anything it takes to keep the show running until the Tonys, as long as it still has a good chance at Best Musical this time next year. 

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#85Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway
Posted: 5/26/16 at 12:36pm

LizzieCurry said: "I liked Dossett, but I missed Park's warmth. I coincidentally saw Tuck Everlasting the same week I saw Dear Evan Hansen, and really missed him. I didn't dislike Dossett, but glad to hear that Park may be (?) back.

"

Kinda seems like Dossett has hitched his wagon to the "War Paint" star.

benmangini
#86Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway
Posted: 5/26/16 at 12:47pm

Broadway Forever2 said: "qolbinau said: "Curious to know what the financial prospects of this show are. If this show follows the initial momentum of Fun Home, Gentlemen's Guide and Next to Normal it would have probably been better for the show to open next spring.

I feel a little anxious because if things don't go well it might pack up shop because I can see it Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway

"

I'm a bit worried it might close early too. It doesn't have a "name" to sell it. (i doubt Ben Platt can really sell it but I guess they can say he's from Pitch Perfect which might drive interest in young women). I' m surprised it's opening in November. Hopefully it does well. 

"

They can say Glee's Laura Dreyfuss 

neonlightsxo
#87Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway
Posted: 5/26/16 at 1:19pm

Yeah...that'll work...

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#88Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway
Posted: 5/26/16 at 3:05pm

"

They can say Glee's Laura Dreyfuss 

"

That might work... She appeared in the last season as a regular, so I bet some die-hard glee fans still remember her.

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#89Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway
Posted: 5/26/16 at 3:19pm

kreichelt said: "The opening number is a real challenge.  I really love the song.  As a parent, "Anybody Have a Map" could be my anthem.  The issue is you expect it to be a song about Evan, or about the families (e.g., Next to Normal's Just Another Day)  not a song about the Moms.  But I really like the song, and it's a great intro to the tension in the two families.  I'm not sure what the solution is, or if a solution is needed.  But I really hope they keep the song.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Yes, without spoiling anything... that is definitely the point of not knowing that character. We're just as desperate to know him as everyone else.

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#90Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway
Posted: 5/26/16 at 3:23pm

qolbinau said: "Curious to know what the financial prospects of this show are. If this show follows the initial momentum of Fun Home, Gentlemen's Guide and Next to Normal it would have probably been better for the show to open next spring.

I feel a little anxious because if things don't go well it might pack up shop and I won't be able to see it Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway

Yeah this is all about the timing. They need to hold off their previews until November if they can, then open in January so that the reviews and word of mouth can help them through jan/jeb... But if it makes it to Tony Time really depends on how much they can raise in their initial nut. If they're smart they will factor in the losses of January, February, and May into the initial budget so that it can run till summer; and with some Tony Awards possibly have a nice two to three year journey. 

JM226
#91Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway
Posted: 5/26/16 at 4:14pm

1. it is opening in december -- not jan/feb 

2. i assure you that the lead producer behind this will be able to absorb whatever losses there are. no matter how significant. 

3. the suggestion that they need to star cast is ridiculous. ben platt IS a star and this show is effectively the star.  didnt people make the same assumptions as Next to Normal when they announced? never cast a star. and survived. very well. 

this is the same situation. they'll be fine. 

Sondheim_Geek Profile Photo
Sondheim_Geek
#92Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway
Posted: 5/26/16 at 4:41pm

In their initial nut? You mean capitalization??

smidge
#93Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway
Posted: 5/26/16 at 5:11pm

Agree with JM. How many successful musicals have really needed a star name? Word of Ben Platt's performance and Pasek and Paul's songs will get this a good audience with probable return visits.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#94Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway
Posted: 5/26/16 at 5:15pm

Dancingthrulife2 said: "'They can say Glee's Laura Dreyfuss'That might work... She appeared in the last season as a regular, so I bet some die-hard glee fans still remember her."

I saw every episode and couldn't place her name until I googled her so that's not great.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

JM226
#95Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway
Posted: 5/26/16 at 5:18pm

it's also so not irrelevant. this isn't a show for celebrity appearances or star vehicles.  people keep comparing it to FUN HOME and NEXT TO NORMAL so tell me when they ever cast a "star" in those shows to sell tickets? they didnt. this is a non-issue. so funny

Broadway Forever2
#96Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway
Posted: 5/26/16 at 5:51pm

JM226 said: "it's also so not irrelevant. this isn't a show for celebrity appearances or star vehicles.  people keep comparing it to FUN HOME and NEXT TO NORMAL so tell me when they ever cast a "star" in those shows to sell tickets? they didnt. this is a non-issue. so funny

"

The huge difference is both those shows (especially Fun Home) premiered in spring relatively late so they had the benefit of the Tony's to gain exposure. As much as I loved Fun Home I doubt that show would have recouped if it didn't win best musical and have the stand out tony performance. People are worried because Evan Hansen is opening in November. 

You are right that show is getting a lot of positive buzz so it's definitely possible it will be fine but i think it's understandable that some people are worried. It doesn't scream the type of show tourists will flock too for instance. 

Updated On: 5/26/16 at 05:51 PM

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#97Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway
Posted: 5/26/16 at 9:34pm

So,,,, the Schoenfeld?

JM226
#98Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway
Posted: 5/26/16 at 9:41pm

KnewItWhenIWasInFron said: "So,,,, the Schoenfeld?

"

no

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#99Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway
Posted: 5/26/16 at 9:44pm

A friend tells me that the theater that Evan Hansen is likely going into currently has a tenant, and that's why the theater hasn't been announced. I asked him what it was and he wouldn't tell me either!