Today at "Blackbird"

evic
#25Today at
Posted: 6/9/16 at 6:25am

The problem could be solved if they just market Broadway as "Dinner Theater".  I had the same potato chip problem the other night at She Loves Me.. This fat cow, who didn't need to be eating chips was crunching and crinkling the bag.  I snapped my fingers at her and she stopped.  And I had to put up with a kid of about 10 who kept kicking the back of my seat and when the Act 1 curtain came down, he said to his mother..."Is it over now?"

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#26Today at
Posted: 6/9/16 at 7:20am

evic said: "The problem could be solved if they just market Broadway as "Dinner Theater".  I had the same potato chip problem the other night at She Loves Me.. This fat cow, who didn't need to be eating chips was crunching and crinkling the bag.  I snapped my fingers at her and she stopped.  And I had to put up with a kid of about 10 who kept kicking the back of my seat and when the Act 1 curtain came down, he said to his mother..."Is it over now?"

"

You could've made your point without fat shaming, but otherwise I feel your pain. How did chips become a thing? Why aren't those confiscated instead of water bottles?

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#27Today at
Posted: 6/9/16 at 8:09am

Maybe Rudin has a soft spot in his heart for potato chips.

Poster Emeritus

bwayandstuff
#28Today at
Posted: 6/9/16 at 8:57am

It's like they consciously select the noisiest food to be sold. I'm pretty sure it is physically impossible to eat potato chips quietly so why even sell them at all?!

Studio 54 puts ice in their drinks which is maddening. Someone kept tilting their drink back when I saw She Loves Me. There was clearly no liquid left (so I'm assuming they were eating the ice) and it sounded like they had maracas...

I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a show and didn't experience poor audience behavior whether it be eating, phones going off, texting, talking, sleeping, crinkling paper, loud hearing aids, reading the playbill during the show... 

ardiem
#29Today at
Posted: 6/9/16 at 9:25am

I was at that matinee yesterday, and can confirm that the basics of that post are true, but highly exaggerated.

1. There was a hearing aid squealing through parts of the show. It wasn't a constant barrage, but incredibly distracting nonetheless.

2. The couple showed up about 2 minutes into the start of the performance, not 20

4. There were multiple cellphones with distinct ringtones, not a single offender. I recall 3 incidents, with ~5 rings each. There were several "email received" alerts too.

I'm *not* saying that any of these incidents were remotely acceptable - they are not - but the hyperbole in that post is filled with more drama than the play itself :P.

Also, some people were loudly sighing when the incidents above occurred or people coughed. THAT'S JUST AS BAD AS THE ACTUAL DISTURBANCES! Stop that! We get it: you're annoyed. I'm annoyed too. You're just contributing to the problem.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#30Today at
Posted: 6/9/16 at 10:43am

How did they get all that food in when I couldn't even get a water bottle by security?

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#31Today at
Posted: 6/9/16 at 11:11am

evic said: "The problem could be solved if they just market Broadway as "Dinner Theater".  I had the same potato chip problem the other night at She Loves Me.. This fat cow, who didn't need to be eating chips was crunching and crinkling the bag.  I snapped my fingers at her and she stopped.  And I had to put up with a kid of about 10 who kept kicking the back of my seat and when the Act 1 curtain came down, he said to his mother..."Is it over now?"

"

Haven't seen fat shaming for a long time, especially ones like "fat cow"... SIGH... Body weight is much more complex than eating. You gain weight when something's wrong with your hormones. Bad parenting is also a popular cause. Sometimes fast food is the only choice for people from low-income families because going green is not cheap. It's not like all or most people in the United States can afford 10-dollar salad every meal (I believe people have been discussing environmental racism in social and cultural analysis, and body weight is one of the topics covered.). 

Updated On: 6/9/16 at 11:11 AM

justasmalltownboy13
#32Today at
Posted: 6/9/16 at 11:24am

Ha! Glad that wasn't me then!

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#34Today at
Posted: 6/9/16 at 12:20pm

How do you know she "didn't need the chips?"

I can answer that one - nobody needs chips. Those are totally empty calories with no nutritional value at all. People may want chips, but that's a different thing altogether. There are dietary needs - but those never include junk food. One may need a banana, or an orange, or protein.

But never chips.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#35Today at
Posted: 6/9/16 at 12:23pm

And if you're hypoglycemic and need to eat something during a show (preferably at intermission, but whatever), it can be something much more quiet like the aforementioned banana. Or grapes or something.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#37Today at
Posted: 6/9/16 at 12:41pm

The recently coined verb "to Trump" has several meanings; one of them is "to pretend one didn't say or write something one definitely said or wrote."

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#38Today at
Posted: 6/9/16 at 12:58pm

2 easy targets for certain people are overweight people and elderly ones.It ain't gonna change so try and ignore it as best you can.Take it from whence it came.

Poster Emeritus

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#39Today at
Posted: 6/9/16 at 1:00pm

Sorry, PThespian, that wasn't in response to you. Just a comment in general about noisy food.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#40Today at
Posted: 6/9/16 at 1:32pm

This is sad. I was actually just about to post that I saw the show on Tuesday night and that it was the best experience I've had all season in terms of audience behavior. 

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

rebeccmam31
#41Today at
Posted: 6/9/16 at 7:48pm

little_sally said: "How did they get all that food in when I couldn't even get a water bottle by security"

This. The woman sitting next to my daughter at The Color Purple Wednesday afternoon brought a COOLER into the show.  One of those soft-sided, foil-lined coolers. They do bag checks.  How on earth was that allowed in?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#43Today at
Posted: 6/9/16 at 8:56pm

A good friend of mine who saw COLOR PURPLE a few weeks ago told me they made him throw out his bottle of water before letting him into the theater. He got really pissed but they wouldn't let him in unless he gave it to them or threw it out himself. That's ridiculous.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#44Today at
Posted: 6/9/16 at 9:03pm

Unfortunately water bottles have become a problem. People seem to like to squeeze them when they finish and the sound is annoying. I have asked people several times to stop doing that. 

Just give the world Love.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#46Today at
Posted: 6/9/16 at 9:07pm

not letting somebody in with a bottle of water because it *might* make a noise is ridiculous when they push cups filled with ice, plastic bags of pretzels and candy in loud bags that will make more noise than any accidental "pushing" of a bottle. 

StephieElise
#47Today at
Posted: 6/9/16 at 9:20pm

Jordan Catalano said: "A good friend of mine who saw COLOR PURPLE a few weeks ago told me they made him throw out his bottle of water before letting him into the theater. He got really pissed but they wouldn't let him in unless he gave it to them or threw it out himself. That's ridiculous."

When I saw Hugh Jackman last year at Rod Laver Arena (where the Australian Open is played) water bottle LIDS were not allowed. You could take the bottle in but the cap was confiscated at bag check. They also removed the caps from all drinks sold inside. I still cannot understand the logic there.

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#48Today at
Posted: 6/9/16 at 9:26pm

StephieElise said: "Jordan Catalano said: "A good friend of mine who saw COLOR PURPLE a few weeks ago told me they made him throw out his bottle of water before letting him into the theater. He got really pissed but they wouldn't let him in unless he gave it to them or threw it out himself. That's ridiculous."

When I saw Hugh Jackman last year at Rod Laver Arena (where the Australian Open is played) water bottle LIDS were not allowed. You could take the bottle in but the cap was confiscated at bag check. They also removed the caps from all drinks sold inside. I still cannot understand the logic there.

"

A thrown capped full bottle makes/can make an excellent projectile. A thrown uncapped bottle will lose contents and hurt less/not hurt at all/can't be chucked as far. I've been in venues before with a no caps rule - you mostly see it at sporting events, they retain the caps when they sell you drinks. 

phantomcrazy14 Profile Photo
phantomcrazy14
#49Today at
Posted: 6/11/16 at 2:17pm

Today at Balckbird, I was working outside the theatre. They made everyone throw away water bottles, full or empty. A lot of people argued it and the security personnel were not having it and told them to step to the side of they wanted to drink it. They also made people throw away reusable water bottles. 

As for the late seating, there was around fifteen people who showed up late and again the theatre workers moved them outside of the lobby to the street. So looks like they've cracked down for the last shows

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#50Today at
Posted: 6/11/16 at 2:34pm

I cannot see personal reusable water bottles that do not make a sound being a problem. I can see people bringing a seven course meal to eat in their seat being a problem Latecomers should not be seated until their is a break in the action. Herding them out in to the street is treating them like cattle. The people who had their water bottles with them when we went were none to comfortable for this over the top action being taken and they vented on the house staff who I felt sorry for. I think a bomb being smuggled in would have been ok just not a water bottle.. Seeing as how it has constantly been on TDF since it opened, I would think old Scotty would be glad people showed up at all instead of antagonizing them.

Poster Emeritus

phantomcrazy14 Profile Photo
phantomcrazy14
#51Today at
Posted: 6/11/16 at 2:48pm

I think a lot of the issues arose from people then saying "oh what do we have to buy it inside!?" And the staff kept saying "no it's the producers. The show is very quiet and they don't want there to be distracting noise" 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#52Today at
Posted: 6/11/16 at 2:56pm

To me someone hacking away coughing is more distracting than someone having a drink or 2 of water to prevent it.

Poster Emeritus

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#53Today at
Posted: 6/11/16 at 3:19pm

Woops !  Sorry  !

"

Updated On: 6/11/16 at 03:19 PM