Miss Saigon 2017

TheEngineer892 Profile Photo
TheEngineer892
#1Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/27/16 at 4:58pm

The confirmed are Eva Noblezeda and Jon Jon Briones from the London Revival. Any rumor about other casting possibilities? I know everyone is wanting Aaron Tveit to be Chris...but will we be that lucky? Any thoughts about which theatre it will be in?

BroadMagTech
#2Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/27/16 at 5:00pm

I think the Broadway Theatre

Broadway Forever2
#3Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/27/16 at 5:01pm

the fan girls would love it if Aaron was Chris lol

Sunny11
#4Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/27/16 at 5:24pm

Aaron has a TV show, Braindead. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#5Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/27/16 at 5:43pm

^which is only on during the summer season. Heck we don't even know if it will be renewed.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

neonlightsxo
#6Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/27/16 at 6:11pm

Braindead won't be around much longer, IMO.

TheEngineer892
#7Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/27/16 at 6:19pm

neonlightsxo said: "Braindead won't be around much longer, IMO.

"

I agree. I really do hope it is him. He is quite perfect for it.

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#8Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/27/16 at 6:23pm

Can you have a production of Miss Saigon, and not have Jon Jon Briones as the Engineer?

Not to be confused with Dave19.

TheEngineer892
#9Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/27/16 at 6:25pm

Dave13 said: "Can you have a production of Miss Saigon, and not have Jon Jon Briones as the Engineer?

"

I agree so much! I don't understand the hype surrounding him. I think Terrence Mann would be perfect for the part, but then Macintosh has his whole "I won't cast a non-Asian actor in the role ever again" thing. Which I do understand, but still. I am sure there are plenty of actors who can do the role more justice, there is no need for them to go out of their way to bring him over here.

Posner11
#10Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/27/16 at 6:37pm

Be very very glad you do have Jon Jon Briones in it as the engineer - he really was the only stand out and memorable feature of the recent London production which is in no way equal to the original or even the UK touring version - I am presuming the 25th anniversary filmed show will be in USA cinemas later this year so you will get to see how more staging money does not mean a better show.

Do envy you getting a different Chris lead than the wimpy one who opened it in UK (and sadly is the one filmed) Understand Broadway actor Chris Peluso starred as Chris later in the run and who is currently in Showboat in London and would have loved to have seen him in the role.

TheEngineer892
#11Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/27/16 at 7:02pm

I am sure he is great, but he also was probably even more favorable seeing as the London revival cast was kind of ehhh with the exception of Noblezeda. But I just don't see the point in bringing him over. Noblezeda is actually from America, and they brought her to London, so it makes s se for her to do it. But I know there must be plenty of Asian actors over here in the US that can justifiably play the role just as well or better than him. They brought Lea Salonga and Jonathan Pryce over because they both immortalized the roles. I just don't think Briones comes close to Pryce. Just my opinion.

Fosse76
#12Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/27/16 at 7:06pm

I just hope they restore some of the original lyrics (I won't get greedy and ask for all of them). The new lyrics are very pedestrian. It's as if they made the changes simply to make changes and not because they serve the material. But this is definitely going into the Broadway.

wish i were here2 Profile Photo
wish i were here2
#13Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/27/16 at 7:19pm

TheEngineer892 said: "I am sure he is great, but he also was probably even more favorable seeing as the London revival cast was kind of ehhh with the exception of Noblezeda. But I just don't see the point in bringing him over. Noblezeda is actually from America, and they brought her to London, so it makes s se for her to do it. But I know there must be plenty of Asian actors over here in the US that can justifiably play the role just as well or better than him. They brought Lea Salonga and Jonathan Pryce over because they both immortalized the roles. I just don't think Briones comes close to Pryce. Just my opinion."

Isn't Jon Jon from America too? His bio states he resides in LA. Actually, I believe he just did an all Asian production La Cage and played Georges in LA. 
http://www.miss-saigon.com/cast-and-creative/jon-jon-briones-2/

ebontoyan
#14Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/27/16 at 7:24pm

JonJon is from CA, the production does not need to bring him all the way here, he is already here. I loved JonJon's take as the Engineer when I saw Miss Saigon in the West End in Nov 2014! So glad he will be in the Broadway production, I plan to watch that too!

TheEngineer892
#15Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/27/16 at 7:34pm

My mistake. I never heard anything about him being from America. I still do not think he is extraordinary. But we will see how he does in 2017. 

Updated On: 6/27/16 at 07:34 PM

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#16Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/27/16 at 7:43pm

And they need to add  'It's her or me ' back into the show, Ellen needs that song 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

ebontoyan
#17Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/27/16 at 7:58pm

When I saw Miss Saigon in the 1990s the Ellen Song 'It's her or  me' did not make me like Ellen at all, I was Team Kim all the way. But when I heard the new song, Ellen became a more sympathetic character for me!  I actually liked it better.  Of course my opinion and I usually have a minority opinion around here lol

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#18Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/27/16 at 8:11pm

I think the Ellen song on the OLC is the most effective. It portrays the conflict she's going without making her too unlikeable.

The track is called "Now That I've Seen Her" but I think the song by that title is a different one (if that makes any sense).

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#19Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/27/16 at 8:14pm

In my wildest fantasies, Josh Henry plays John. And I weep.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#20Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/27/16 at 8:20pm

Mr. Nowack said: "I think the Ellen song on the OLC is the most effective. It portrays the conflict she's going without making her too unlikeable.

The track is called "Now That I've Seen Her" but I think the song by that title is a different one (if that makes any sense).

"

IMO, "Maybe" fits the show way much better than NTISH. It deals with the shock and fragility of Ellen and what really stands between Chris and her in a really hearbreaking way, which is probably also the first reaction any straight woman would have knowing that her husband has married another person and has begotten a baby. NTISH sounds too righteous in tone, which is understandable yet not as effective.

10086sunset
#21Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/27/16 at 8:43pm

I'd pay real money, like current Hamilton OBC type money to see Pryce step into the role again for a week or two, as some blatant stunt casting.

While I know this will not happen, let a man dream...

TheEngineer892
#22Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/27/16 at 9:08pm

Josh Henry would be a fantastic choice! I was also thinking MAYBE Megan Hilty for Ellen? Or would we be too lucky to have Tveit, Henry and Hilty all in one show?

Updated On: 6/27/16 at 09:08 PM

jonahke
#23Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 8:10am

Is there already more information about the release of the 25th anniversary show?

Dave19
#24Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 8:25am

jonahke said: "Is there already more information about the release of the 25th anniversary show?"

The show will be presented in cinema's on October 16th, 2016.

(Full show + celebrations at the end with original London cast). According to Cameron, who has seen a rough cut of the first 20 minutes, it looks and sounds sensational.

After that, a dvd release is planned. There is no news about a date yet. I hope soon, but they might want to open the show on Broadway first.

Updated On: 6/28/16 at 08:25 AM

StageyAndProud
#25Miss Saigon 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 8:28am

Rumours are Jeremy Jordan as Chris and Joshua Henry as John.

I would love to see Rachelle Ann Go transfer with the production. She was an incredible Gigi and really brings in the asian audiences. 

I would love to see Stephanie J Block as Ellen but she will be busy with Falsettos and she is so much better than then role.