pixeltracker

COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced- Page 3

COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced

Pootie2
#50COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/3/16 at 9:02pm

So glad to see this properly heading to Broadway, given the themes. The word of mouth had been fantastic for it, though of course who knows how all of that will translate into the commercial realm. Whizzer, while it's an ensemble piece, Colella's solo has been highlighted a number of times in other reviews, so while I wouldn't say she has a particularly "large" role as pilot Beverly Bass, it certainly seems notable. (No, I haven't seen it, but I'd love to; it's one of the few new shows I'm genuinely interested in.)

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#51COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/3/16 at 9:08pm

I think the Tony race this year is going to be the closest in a long time. Great hearing these raves.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Wicked Fanatic Profile Photo
Wicked Fanatic
#52COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/3/16 at 9:17pm

Thank South Fl Marc for your thoughts.  It's exactly how I felt when I saw this at the La Jolla Playhouse. smiley

I'm eagerly awaiting my Broadway trip in May 2017 to see this again. 

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#53COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/3/16 at 9:22pm

Thanks for the great review. You just sent my interest/excitement level for this from about a 5 to 9.

Glad to hear Colella has a nice, big moment to shine. I've always found her to be a talented performer and was looking forward to seeing her on stage again, but now to also hear such good things about the show itself is even better. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Esther2 Profile Photo
Esther2
#54COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/3/16 at 9:38pm

Thanks to this thread, I just got tickets for October 1st.  Looking forward to it - and hoping I'm thanking you all afterwards! COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#55COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/3/16 at 10:56pm

Pootie2 said: "So glad to see this properly heading to Broadway, given the themes. The word of mouth had been fantastic for it, though of course who knows how all of that will translate into the commercial realm."

It’s a good thing the show will be opening in the spring so that it could potentially get a boost from however many Tony nominations it'll receive.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#56COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/4/16 at 10:17am

I just wonder why this show has needed four out-of-town tryouts? First LaJolla, then Seattle, now Washington DC, then Toronto & finally Broadway. I just wonder if the Toronto run is really needed?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#57COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/4/16 at 10:24am

ACL2006 said: "I just wonder why this show has needed four out-of-town tryouts? First LaJolla, then Seattle, now Washington DC, then Toronto & finally Broadway. I just wonder if the Toronto run is really needed?

"

I guess the Toronto run is so the people who the show is about can see it. Also to earn more money before the Broadway run.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#58COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/4/16 at 1:19pm

I would say that a Toronto run isn't really for those it's about, as Toronto and Gander NL, are far away. I think Toronto producers just felt a show that was written by Canadians should be seen by Canadians before it heads to Broadway.

Also, think of the old tours of Oliver, and Gypsy (Lanabury revival) that was toured out to multiple major cities before it opened in New York that made a lot of money, so the Broadway runs weren't as expensive. Or, shows did used to have 3 city tryouts (New Haven, Washington, Philadelphia) before coming into New York. 

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#59COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/4/16 at 1:19pm

I would say that a Toronto run isn't really for those it's about, as Toronto and Gander NL, are far away. I think Toronto producers just felt a show that was written by Canadians should be seen by Canadians before it heads to Broadway.

Also, think of the old tours of Oliver, and Gypsy (Lanabury revival) that was toured out to multiple major cities before it opened in New York that made a lot of money, so the Broadway runs weren't as expensive. Or, shows did used to have 3 city tryouts (New Haven, Washington, Philadelphia) before coming into New York. 

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Pootie2
#60COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/4/16 at 1:47pm

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "Pootie2 said: "So glad to see this properly heading to Broadway, given the themes. The word of mouth had been fantastic for it, though of course who knows how all of that will translate into the commercial realm."

It’s a good thing the show will be opening in the spring so that it could potentially get a boost from however many Tony nominations it'll receive.

"

I sure hope you're right.

With all the runs it has had so far and with previews, I'm curious what has or will be changed between the original La Jolla run and Broadway.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#61COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/7/16 at 12:11am

Any word yet on which theater?

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#62COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/9/16 at 9:07am

I saw Come From Away show last night in DC. What a beautiful and moving story that was well sung and acted.  There are no weak links in this cast (all playing multiple roles so seamlessly).  I was taken in from the very first song of the show.  Two of the people portrayed in the show were sitting directly behind me, so it was fascinating to hear them talk to people about their experience as it happened and with this show.  By the end of the evening I was so choked up.  I will definitely be returning again.  I'm not sure what theater has been announced for this, but the Booth or Music Box would be perfect for Come From Away. I'm looking forward to the cast recording.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

neonlightsxo
#63COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/9/16 at 9:19am

Peter Marks' Washington Post review really said a lot to me in terms of what this show is. I hope the creative team makes the changes he suggests, because if there's really that much lack of conflict/the problems are first world problems, I'm not interested.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/theater_dance/come-from-away-stirs-powerful-memories-of-911/2016/09/08/32e8d5d0-7577-11e6-be4f-3f42f2e5a49e_story.html

Although the musical touches briefly on interesting aspects of the passengers’ feelings — such as, their guilt at being so lovingly cared for, when other more consequential 9/11 victims were suffering — many of the self-
narrated stories here fall into the lower-grade category of tales of inconvenience. In the conjuring, too, of Gander’s collective rising to the occasion, the individual characters, while embodied in lively fashion by an altogether splendid cast of 12, remain rather schematic. Virtually every song in “Come From Away,” accompanied zestily by an eight-member band conducted by Ian Eisendrath, is an ensemble piece; only an American Airlines pilot, played and sung superbly by Jenn Colella, is accorded her own complete solo number, and you’re left scratching your head a bit as to why.

Yes, “Come From Away” is headed to New York this winter, after an additional stop in Toronto and then a special pair of concerts in Gander itself. One wonders whether the story might be better served with slightly less emphasis on the logistics of sheltering the strangers and more on the characters’ lives. A gay couple, well played by Chad Kimball and Caesar Samayoa, for instance, might come more satisfyingly into focus if the nature of their unhappiness with each other were more incisively explained.

Updated On: 9/9/16 at 09:19 AM

kristinj1 Profile Photo
kristinj1
#64COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/9/16 at 10:27am

I actually felt that the small, simple collective nature of this piece was precisely the point.  

When most of us look back on the large terrible events in our past, what endures is the memory of the collection of small simple kindnesses that got us through them.   It brings to mind the thing Mr. Rogers said about disasters... "look for the helpers." 

And while one might myopically view these as "first world problems", similar issues of comfort and convenience are playing out daily in worldwide refugee crises.

We all remember, far too well, what the huge and terrible issue was during those days without needing to be hit over the head with it.

Updated On: 9/9/16 at 10:27 AM

Call_me_jorge
#65COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/9/16 at 10:51am

What if this is taking the Belasco while DEH moves to the music box?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#66COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/9/16 at 10:52am

Why would that happen?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

neonlightsxo
#67COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/9/16 at 10:57am

If you're reading that review as criticizing the small nature of the piece and suggesting we should be hit over the head by 9/11, you're grossly misreading it.

Pootie2
#68COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/9/16 at 9:07pm

I don't know to what extent the race/religion conflicts (or awkwardness) take center stage at various points of the show, but I certainly hope the ones mentioned in previous reviews remain intact and maybe are expanded a bit.

Call_me_jorge
#69COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/11/16 at 2:57pm

Is anyone at the matinee today or is going tonight? I'd like to hear what the reaction is today.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#70COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/11/16 at 5:32pm

Seeing it tonight. The date is a coincidence, but I'm excited to see it considering the circumstance. 

LetTheSunshineIn2
#71COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/11/16 at 5:57pm

I was at today's matinee and it was very emotional.  Huge, long ovation at the end.  Four of the people portrayed in the show were in the audience.  The cast is phenomenal- every last one of them.   I was moved to tears several times and also laughed a lot too.  I hope they put it in one of the smaller houses in NY, it's an intimate show.  I also hope that it finds an audience.  It's so well done and a story that deserves to be told, but it also puts you through an emotional ringer which may mean that it won't be attractive to much of the tourist segment of Broadway ticket buyers.  

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#72COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/11/16 at 10:16pm

Wow. First off, one of the "Come From Away"ers and one of the Pilots (one of Jenn Colella's characters) was in the audience tonight. Pretty cool to share it with them. Writing this on the Metro after a few drinks so bear with me. 

From Sept. 2015 to Sept 2016, I've seen some of my favorite things I've seen on stage in the many years I've been going to the theatre:

1. Spring Awakening Revival

2. A View From The Bridge

3. Blackbird

4. American Psycho

5. Hamilton (not a huge fan, but hey I saw it, right)

6. The Crucible 

7. The Humans

8. Come From Away

Don't know if I'm acting on emotion but god I LOVED THIS. I laughed a lot, I cried (within the first 4 minutes). Its small, intimate, but has enough heart to reach people at the balcony of the Palace Theatre. When it transfers (hopefully to a smaller theatre), see it. What could be corny seems utterly real. You won't regret it. 

batchels
#73COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/11/16 at 11:11pm

I saw the show this afternoon and loved it.  I was laughing one minute and had tears streaming down my face the next, very very emotional piece.  Great solid ensemble cast across the board.  There were a few actual "Come From Awayers" in audience.  Very special to have seen this on 9/11, the talk back was also great as a few cast members discussed their "pay it forward" experiences as a result of the show.  Hoping to make a return visit before it leaves in October.  Seems like a strong Tony nomination contender for Best Musical, but I cannot see it beating Dear Evan Hansen.  Feeling very fortunate to have seen both great and moving shows in DC pre-Broadway a little more than a year apart.

PortiaJ
#74COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/11/16 at 11:47pm

I saw the Sunday evening performance of Come From Away at Ford's Theatre and just loved it.  I was originally very skeptical of "the 9/11 musical" but spent the full 1 hour 45 minute performance glued to my seat, fully engrossed in the story, laughing a TON, and truly enjoying the music.  Each cast member played so many different roles with only minimal costume changes, yet I never had a problem identifying their particular character in a scene.  The small band came out and played at the end of the show - their sound, as well as a few of the show's musical numbers  (featuring fiddle, guitar, etc) reminded me of the music from Once.  We were so fortunate that the audience included the show's authors and three real "plane people" portrayed in the show.,  The man next to me slept through 90% of the performance (really) but I'm sure everyone else left just feeling awed and uplifted from such a unique show.