Most Demanding Role

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#50Most Demanding Role
Posted: 7/30/16 at 4:10am

Hedwig.

Also, most of you don't seem to know what the word "most" means... or "demanding."  

Broadway World's Fireman.

A.Ham2
#51Most Demanding Role
Posted: 7/30/16 at 9:52am

I'd definitely put Jason/Tyrone in Hand To God up there

Dollypop
#52Most Demanding Role
Posted: 7/30/16 at 11:38am

Barnum

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

BroadwayMan5
#53Most Demanding Role
Posted: 7/30/16 at 11:43am

icecreambenjamin said: "Nellie Lovett and Sweeney Todd 

The Witch- into the woods 

Eva Peron 

Zaza/Albin- La Cage Aux Folles 

Eliza Dolittle and Henry Higgins

Seymour Krelborn

The entire cast of Spelling Bee

"

I disagree strongly on The Witch. That's not even one of the two most demanding roles in that show (Baker & Baker's Wife)

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#54Most Demanding Role
Posted: 7/30/16 at 12:11pm

A.Ham2 said: "I'd definitely put Jason/Tyrone in Hand To God up there

"

I agree with this.

Spoiler 

The scene in his bedroom was interesting.  Like I actually forgot that whoever plays that role is speaking for both. So, that scene was like having an entire conversation with yourself.  I realize there were other scenes where they were alone as well.

End spoiler 

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

hork Profile Photo
hork
#55Most Demanding Role
Posted: 7/30/16 at 1:52pm

gleek4114 said: "Aimee Simple (Scandalous), Diana (Next to Normal), Daisy and Violet (Side Show), Monty (Gentleman's Gudie), and probably a billion more. 

Monty is far less demanding than the D'Ysquiths, I would think. 

Harrisonmlewis Profile Photo
Harrisonmlewis
#56Most Demanding Role
Posted: 7/30/16 at 2:08pm

Seriously though for those of you that haven't seen Dear Evan Hansen that role is vocally, physically, and ESPECIALLY emotionally draining. 8 times a week go Ben Platt.

BlackElleWoods Profile Photo
BlackElleWoods
#57Most Demanding Role
Posted: 7/30/16 at 2:43pm

Elle Woods & Reno Sweeney 

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#59Most Demanding Role
Posted: 7/31/16 at 1:28am

I just thought of something. Does anyone know why there was an alternate for Tony in West Side Story in the 2009 revival like late into it? I know there was no alternate when Matt Cavenaugh started. But, when I went a second time, I thought I was getting Jeremy Jordan as an understudy when in the Playbill it said he did at least 2 performances a week as an alternate. I didn't think Tony was a really demanding role. Or was this just a contract thing that was worked out?

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#60Most Demanding Role
Posted: 7/31/16 at 1:30am

Who knows. It's most def. not a demanding role. Unless he just didn't have the vocals. 

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#61Most Demanding Role
Posted: 7/31/16 at 12:43pm

Elizabeth in If/Then is incredibly demanding, both in terms of vocals and the thorough scene work.

Dollypop
#62Most Demanding Role
Posted: 7/31/16 at 10:24pm

The role of Tony is vocally demanding. "Maria" is virtually an aria and other parts of the character's singing are quite high. For that reason, Tony is often given an alternate.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

godlessondheimite2
#63Most Demanding Role
Posted: 8/1/16 at 9:27am

Harrisonmlewis said: "Seriously though for those of you that haven't seen Dear Evan Hansen that role is vocally, physically, and ESPECIALLY emotionally draining. 8 times a week go Ben Platt.

"

I agree, especially the way Platt is killing it. It can't be easy--I was drained just watching him. I can't imagine living that 8 times a week.

Liza's Headband
#64Most Demanding Role
Posted: 8/1/16 at 10:12am

Harrisonmlewis said: "Seriously though for those of you that haven't seen Dear Evan Hansen that role is vocally, physically, and ESPECIALLY emotionally draining. 8 times a week go Ben Platt.

"

Agreed 100%. Once the show opens this November and everyone on here has the chance to see it, they'll also agree.

neonlightsxo
#65Most Demanding Role
Posted: 8/1/16 at 10:14am

BroadwayConcierge said: "Slightly divergent question, but I'm curious: I don't think I have seen any roles in Hamilton listed on this thread yet. What's the most demanding role in that show? I have an opinion, but I'm very interested in what others think. "

Burr.

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#66Most Demanding Role
Posted: 8/1/16 at 11:38am

I think Hamilton is the most demanding role in Hamilton. He is in the most numbers and has to play a broader range of emotions. Burr is the better part, though! 

godlessondheimite2
#67Most Demanding Role
Posted: 8/4/16 at 10:28am

Maybe not the most demanding role in history, but Patrick Bateman required a lot.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#68Most Demanding Role
Posted: 8/4/16 at 10:35am

When I saw the show with the original cast, I thought Hamilton was more taxing than Burr because of his freneticism and, as Hellob wrote, his "broad range of emotions" displayed through the show. However, it wasn't until I saw somebody other than Leslie Odom, Jr. as Burr that made me realize how truly brilliant of an actor you have to be to pull off that role. Leslie was brooding and cunning and deeply thoughtful and introspective, and the emotional payoff by the end was devastating. The other actor I saw as Burr worked toward all this—but came off as tired/lazy for most of the show, and I was not as emotionally affected by his Burr as I was by Leslie's. It made me realize both that Leslie unequivocally deserved that Tony, and that Burr takes a lot.

Updated On: 8/4/16 at 10:35 AM

Harrisonmlewis
#69Most Demanding Role
Posted: 8/4/16 at 11:06am

@godless I completely agree, I think Ben Walker should've gotten a nom over Zachary Levi.

Harrisonmlewis
#70Most Demanding Role
Posted: 8/4/16 at 11:06am

@godless I completely agree, I think Ben Walker should've gotten a nom over Zachary Levi.

godlessondheimite2
#71Most Demanding Role
Posted: 8/4/16 at 11:13am

Harrisonmlewis said: "@godless I completely agree, I think Ben Walker should've gotten a nom over Zachary Levi.

"

He definitely should have gotten the role over someone, and I'm leaning towards either Levi or Brightman. I enjoyed Levi in SLM and I didn't see Brightman, but Walker was awe-inspiring. It's a shame he didn't get a nom. 

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#72Most Demanding Role
Posted: 8/4/16 at 11:31am

I disagree strongly on The Witch. That's not even one of the two most demanding roles in that show (Baker & Baker's Wife)

"

What makes the Witch so complicated isn't even the music necessarily (even though she has the hardest music in the show) it's the fact that she must be ugly and old in the first act, but then beautiful and sexy in the second act.  It's an incredibly versatile role.  You also have to find the line between scary and imposing, and sweet and motherly.  I have played The Baker and I am currently playing the Witch and I must say that The Witch is far more demanding.

Alex Kulak
#73Most Demanding Role
Posted: 8/4/16 at 7:11pm

Pretty much any role in Next to Normal. I've read the score, and even in the first scene, when Henry and Dr. Madden aren't on stage, they are singing backup off stage. Plus the show is essentially sung through.

broadwayboy223
#74Most Demanding Role
Posted: 8/4/16 at 7:48pm

icecreambenjamin said: "I disagree strongly on The Witch. That's not even one of the two most demanding roles in that show (Baker & Baker's Wife)

"

What makes the Witch so complicated isn't even the music necessarily (even though she has the hardest music in the show) it's the fact that she must be ugly and old in the first act, but then beautiful and sexy in the second act.  It's an incredibly versatile role.  You also have to find the line between scary and imposing, and sweet and motherly.  I have played The Baker and I am currently playing the Witch and I must say that The Witch is far more demanding.

"

Having played both  as well I think they are equally demanding in different ways. Neither character journey is easy emotionally. I completely agree with you on the  balancing though of the Witch.