pixeltracker

M. BUTTERFLY Fall 2017 Broadway Revival, Directed by Julie Taymor- Page 2

M. BUTTERFLY Fall 2017 Broadway Revival, Directed by Julie Taymor

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#25M. BUTTERFLY Fall 2017 Broadway Revival, Directed by Julie Taymor
Posted: 6/13/17 at 1:01am

I hope the Producers gave deep pockets! Taymor is not one known for staying anywhere near budget.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

10086sunset
#26M. BUTTERFLY Fall 2017 Broadway Revival, Directed by Julie Taymor
Posted: 6/13/17 at 8:22am

Dysquith13 said: "I think the Booth is pretty much its only option, unless one or more of Bandstand/Indecent/Play That Goes Wrong are shifted to a Labor Day closing, considering it's confirmed at a Shubert Theatre.

For some reason, I kept envisioning the Walter Kerr for this, but guess that ain't happening.
"

I think you can safely count Indecent closing by Labor Day.

perfectliar
#27M. BUTTERFLY Fall 2017 Broadway Revival, Directed by Julie Taymor
Posted: 6/13/17 at 1:14pm

Dysquith13 said: "I think the Booth is pretty much its only option, unless one or more of Bandstand/Indecent/Play That Goes Wrong are shifted to a Labor Day closing, considering it's confirmed at a Shubert Theatre.

For some reason, I kept envisioning the Walter Kerr for this, but guess that ain't happening.
"

If it was going into the Booth, you would think they would have announced that with the performance dates since it's empty. Leaving the venue TBA makes me think whatever theatre it's going into hasn't announced a closing date yet.

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#28M. BUTTERFLY Fall 2017 Broadway Revival, Directed by Julie Taymor
Posted: 6/13/17 at 1:20pm

The fact that it has taken them this long to announce a theatre, combined with the current theatre availability, makes me think they're holding out for either the Cort or the Jacobs.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#29M. BUTTERFLY Fall 2017 Broadway Revival, Directed by Julie Taymor
Posted: 6/14/17 at 12:34pm

The Cort is now officially open, and I predict this will go in there.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#30M. BUTTERFLY Fall 2017 Broadway Revival, Directed by Julie Taymor
Posted: 6/14/17 at 3:25pm

BroadwayRox3588 said: "The fact that it has taken them this long to announce a theatre, combined with the current theatre availability, makes me think they're holding out for either the Cort or the Jacobs.

" heard producers of Bandstand are planning on keeping it open for the summer 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#31M. BUTTERFLY Fall 2017 Broadway Revival, Directed by Julie Taymor
Posted: 6/14/17 at 3:42pm

Robbie2 said: "BroadwayRox3588 said: "The fact that it has taken them this long to announce a theatre, combined with the current theatre availability, makes me think they're holding out for either the Cort or the Jacobs.

" heard producers of Bandstand are planning on keeping it open for the summer 

"

GOOD. It's an amazing show!

And as to M. Butterfly, I will be shocked if it goes anywhere but the Cort now.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#32M. BUTTERFLY Fall 2017 Broadway Revival, Directed by Julie Taymor
Posted: 6/15/17 at 1:11am

SNAFU said: "I hope the Producers gave deep pockets! Taymor is not one known for staying anywhere near budget.

"

You know, M. BUTTERFLY is probably the best play I've ever seen in a first-class production. (Plays like STREETCAR and SALESMAN and FENCES could compete, but I've never seen them except in regional venues.)

I saw the original Broadway production twice and, yes, I remember there were imitation Asian spectacles between scenes. But the only theater-within-theater sequence I actually remember in detail is the performance by Song of the final aria in MADAMA BUTTERFLY, using Beijing theater techniques--because that sequence actually matters to the plot of the play!

The rest of the remarkable evening was to be found in the two, unbelievable leading performances. Since working with actors has never seemed Taymor's primary interest, I have no idea why she is doing this play. In fact, I'm rather horrified at the thought!

Dollypop
#33M. BUTTERFLY Fall 2017 Broadway Revival, Directed by Julie Taymor
Posted: 6/15/17 at 10:04am

My mother wanted to see the original production, so I took her for her birthday. Without giving too much of the plot away, I explained what it was about before we got to the theater. Still, during one pivotal scene, she blurted out, "he's naked!" loud enough to be heard throughout the theater.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#34M. BUTTERFLY Fall 2017 Broadway Revival, Directed by Julie Taymor
Posted: 6/15/17 at 10:13am

Dollypop said: "My mother wanted to see the original production, so I took her for her birthday. Without giving too much of the plot away, I explained what it was about before we got to the theater. Still, during one pivotal scene, she blurted out, "he's naked!" loud enough to be heard throughout the theater."

a) That's hilarious.
b) Um... spoiler alert!

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#36M. BUTTERFLY Fall 2017 Broadway Revival, Directed by Julie Taymor
Posted: 6/15/17 at 5:57pm

PThespian said: "BroadwayConcierge said: "The Cort is now officially open, and I predict this will go in there.

"

I was at Indecent last night.

While I was commiserating with one of my friends she said they are getting something in Oct. 

I wonder what it could be. 

I also banged into one of the bartenders from Bandstand . She said that business has picked up since the Tonys, and they are thinking they might get a run out of it after all. 

PS. This is not a vague post. She genuinely didn't know. 

PPS. LOVED the show! Can't stop thinking about it. 

PPPS. I sat next to the rudest people I've ever seen in a theater. But that's for another thread. 

"

My God, I thought you said you "banged one of the bartenders" and I was horrified, but then thought, "Yaaaaas! Get it." 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#37M. BUTTERFLY Fall 2017 Broadway Revival, Directed by Julie Taymor
Posted: 6/15/17 at 6:05pm

I thought "yaaaas" was banned from use cos overuse?

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#38M. BUTTERFLY Fall 2017 Broadway Revival, Directed by Julie Taymor
Posted: 6/15/17 at 6:25pm

Valentina3 said: "I thought "yaaaas" was banned from use cos overuse?

"

I didn't know about the rule, but it's Pride Month, let me have just one in my internal dialogue! 

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#39M. BUTTERFLY Fall 2017 Broadway Revival, Directed by Julie Taymor
Posted: 6/15/17 at 7:13pm

LizzieCurry said: "SNAFU said: "Oh, Copulating Japanese cross dressers on wires! Can't wait!"

It takes place in China. Try again!

"

IIRC, the original used various Asian performance forms, mostly in between the scenes. I could be wrong--because I hadn't yet studied East Asian theater--but I don't believe the "spectacle" was all Beijing opera in style.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#40M. BUTTERFLY Fall 2017 Broadway Revival, Directed by Julie Taymor
Posted: 6/15/17 at 7:16pm

MannPhan24601 said: "

Thanks, Thought M.Butterfly was just an abbreviation of Madame Butterfly, 

"

No. "M." is the French abbreviation for Monsieur, like "Mr." for Mister in English. The title is actually MONSIEUR BUTTERFLY, though I have never heard it called that. Everyone I've heard says "Em Butterfly".

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#41M. BUTTERFLY Fall 2017 Broadway Revival, Directed by Julie Taymor
Posted: 6/15/17 at 7:22pm

Dollypop said: "My mother wanted to see the original production, so I took her for her birthday. Without giving too much of the plot away, I explained what it was about before we got to the theater. Still, during one pivotal scene, she blurted out, "he's naked!" loud enough to be heard throughout the theater.

"

That may have been the most dramatically justified nudity in theater history!

I couldn't believe how many in the audience gasped at the reversal. It had been clearly mentioned in all the reviews.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#42M. BUTTERFLY Fall 2017 Broadway Revival, Directed by Julie Taymor
Posted: 6/15/17 at 7:39pm

I also saw the original production and people acted like that nude scene was completely uncalled for and horribly gratuitous.  Jesus Christ, you would have thought there was a twenty foot long erection on stage.

On a different note, I am thrilled to see this show return, but I am not really happy to see Taymor signed on as the director.  As others have said, she can create a spectacle, but that's about it.

VintageSnarker
#43M. BUTTERFLY Fall 2017 Broadway Revival, Directed by Julie Taymor
Posted: 6/15/17 at 10:56pm

GavestonPS said: "
I couldn't believe how many in the audience gasped at the reversal. It had been clearly mentioned in all the reviews

"

I wouldn't read too much into that. Lately audiences seem to be gasping at all sorts of things that don't seem that dramatic. Loud noises, anytime someone gets slapped, dramatic use of a slur, obvious revelations... but maybe I'm just not as caught up in these generally mediocre plays. Not saying that M. Butterfly is mediocre, just that audiences seem quite prone to audible reactions lately. 

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#44M. BUTTERFLY Fall 2017 Broadway Revival, Directed by Julie Taymor
Posted: 6/15/17 at 11:15pm

CavesonPS. I have never seen M. Butterfly. Not really familiar with the story. I know however, having worked with Taymor and seeing her work and watching (and dealing with) the gears turning, she is NOT an actor's director. She cannot deal with emmotions on stage. Oh she can make some pretty arresting stage pictures and tableaux but human interactions and emotions not so much.

I expect this to be stunning moments with story lines and dialogue strpped away to get to the next stunning moment.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Dysquith13 Profile Photo
Dysquith13
#46M. BUTTERFLY Fall 2017 Broadway Revival, Directed by Julie Taymor
Posted: 6/19/17 at 11:06am

Is this an open run? I couldn't find information about a closing date anywhere.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#47M. BUTTERFLY Fall 2017 Broadway Revival, Directed by Julie Taymor
Posted: 6/19/17 at 11:32am

Gorgeous artwork 

asimplegal2 Profile Photo
asimplegal2
#49M. BUTTERFLY Fall 2017 Broadway Revival, Directed by Julie Taymor
Posted: 7/19/17 at 11:36am

You guys are harsh.

Give the lady a chance, let's see what she can do with a wonderful script like this one.

Gizmo6
#50M. BUTTERFLY Fall 2017 Broadway Revival, Directed by Julie Taymor
Posted: 7/28/17 at 3:17pm

Just bit the bullet and booked. 

Saw a student production at RADA a few years back so looking forward to seeing a full scale production.