pixeltracker

Funniest Musical of All Time?- Page 2

Funniest Musical of All Time?

hork Profile Photo
hork
#25Funniest Musical of All Time?
Posted: 8/28/16 at 12:37pm

I also think A Night in the Ukraine is hilarious.

"Your angelic face I regard as the face of a saint ... Bernard!"

Jarethan
#26Funniest Musical of All Time?
Posted: 8/28/16 at 2:56pm

Based on individual productions, I would go for:

-- The Producers with Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick.  At one point, I had just taken an m&m when something ridiculous happened...I laughed so hard, I hit the person in front of me in the head with the m&m...and the person felt it.

-- A Funny Thing with Phil Silvers.  I think Comedy Tonight lasted 45 seconds, he sang it so fast.  Absolutely hilarious.

-- Mame.  Not the out and out farce that the others were, but --  with Lansbury, Arthur and Connell in the lead roles -- I don't recall laughing as much as I did, particulArly in Act 2.

-- A Gentleman's Guide.  It will be interesting to see how time treats this show.  Even though it won the Tony and ran two years, I think it was under appreciated

-- Kinky Boots.  Laughed as much the fourth time in a barn in Tampa as from great seats in NYC two weeks after it opened.

Somehow, I have not seen Spelling Bee; I think How to Succeed and Little Me are either overrated or dated; I hated Avenue Q;  I felt that Something Rotten relied too much on theatre knowledge... I saw it once with people who were not avid theatre goers, and half the humor went over their heads (although I loved it); and I just don't enjoy the corny humor of Guys and Dolls...kill me. 

I would give honorable mention to Hello Dolly, High Spirits, Spamalot (although I have preferred smaller productions to the Broadway version), and Acts 2 and 3 of The Apple Tree.

Phantom4ever
#27Funniest Musical of All Time?
Posted: 8/28/16 at 3:26pm

The laughs in BOM don't really come from the profane/inappropriate words like the aforementioned "maggots in my scrotum".  The laughs come from the painful, too-real satire that viciously cuts through every curse word.  On the surface, it may seem like you're laughing because they said *unt and *uck, but then one stops and realizes that the laughs came as a response to being faced with the impossible issues of female genital mutilation and villages dealing with widespread, disease, lack of functioning government services, famine, and war.  Hilarious! 

pg1287
#28Funniest Musical of All Time?
Posted: 8/28/16 at 4:54pm

Of the ones I have seen:

Book of Mormon

The Producers

Avenue Q

The Full Monty

Updated On: 8/28/16 at 04:54 PM

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#29Funniest Musical of All Time?
Posted: 8/28/16 at 5:07pm

Agree w everything said about Forum. It was my 1st choice . I'd pick Urinetown  as my 2nd. It is  part of the musical theater tradition even as it lampoons it. ( social satire apart)

i love Guys andd Dolls too.

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#31Funniest Musical of All Time?
Posted: 8/28/16 at 10:49pm

If it counts, A Very Potter Musical/Sequel are honestly the funniest things I've ever seen, out of musicals, tv shows, ect, nothing has made me laugh more than that. 

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#32Funniest Musical of All Time?
Posted: 8/29/16 at 1:02am

Somehow I've missed a bunch of the ones listed. Of what I've seen:

BoM

The Producers

Bullets over B'way

Something Rotten

Menopause the Musical

The Pirates of Penzance

Forbidden Bway

The spoof of Cole Porter type shows with the bootleggers

Victor Victoria 

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

xxdrewboy85xx Profile Photo
xxdrewboy85xx
#33Funniest Musical of All Time?
Posted: 8/29/16 at 1:59am

Some Great ones mentioned. I would add BATBOY to the list.

edit: and RUTHLESS 

Updated On: 8/29/16 at 01:59 AM

StephieElise
#34Funniest Musical of All Time?
Posted: 8/29/16 at 5:01am

- Avenue Q - I saw it again recently and it was just as funny as it was the first time. Whereas I found BOM hilarious the first time I heard the cast recording, I then didn't find it as funny when I actually saw it. I'm totally avoiding the recording at the moment in preparation for the Melbourne production next year!

- A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum - undoubtedly my funniest moment in the theatre was having Geoffrey Rush dry hump my mother. Enough said. 

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#35Funniest Musical of All Time?
Posted: 8/29/16 at 9:44am

Totally agree re: BATBOY.

SPELLING BEE is the most laughs for me but I've never laughed harder than at BATBOY.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#36Funniest Musical of All Time?
Posted: 8/29/16 at 10:27am

I have seen numerous musicals that literally made me laugh out loud several times, but the single funniest show I've seen, play or musical, has to be the Broadway production of Urinetown.  The first act finale alone is probably the most ingenious number I've ever seen on stage.

Runner-up would have to be Forever Plaid, which I've seen 8 times.  Funny, touching and irresistibly charming.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Nadia Hudson
#37Funniest Musical of All Time?
Posted: 8/29/16 at 3:27pm

SOMETHING ROTTENcheeky

Jarethan
#38Funniest Musical of All Time?
Posted: 8/29/16 at 10:33pm

I was thinking back on less remembered shows that made me laugh a lot.  I was reminded of I Love My Wife, which was hysterically funny.  I suspect it would be very dated at this point, as the entire premise of the show was about two couples wife swapping, but I have rarely laughed as much as I did during that show.  

It won the Tony for direction in the year of Annie, because Gene Saks got mined every laugh possible.  And Lenny Baker won a Tony for one of the funniest stage performances I have ever seen.  He had the entire theatre in hysterics just folding his pants as he prepared for the big event.  What a shame that he died from a rare cancer before turning 30.  

Several of these posts also reminded me how much I laughed during Urinetown, The Full Monty, and Me and My Girl.

I am surprised that no-one has mentioned City of Angels, a show that I personally hated -- the conceit wore thin very fast -- but which was touted as a comic gem when it opened and won all its awards.

Finally, I have to create a 'special mention' for Chicago.  Any show that has Class, Cell Block Tango, When You're Good to Mama, and Razzle Dazzle has to be mentioned, even if it is more known for its direction and choreography.

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#39Funniest Musical of All Time?
Posted: 8/29/16 at 10:41pm

Book of Mormon and Spamalot would be my choices. I think they're the most comedic through and through. There have been some other great shows named here, but I think these two surpass the rest...if you're just looking to laugh. Some of the others offer laughter and more...

hairspraydude1962
#40Funniest Musical of All Time?
Posted: 8/29/16 at 10:50pm

I have never laughed as hard at a musical than I did during THE BOOK OF MORMON.

TNick926 Profile Photo
TNick926
#41Funniest Musical of All Time?
Posted: 8/29/16 at 11:08pm

This has been such a fun thread to read! In thinking back on shows I've seen over the years, I guess my top five funniest musicals would be (in no particular order):

City of Angels

The Producers

Spamalot

Book of Mormon

Something Rotten

And reading everyone's comments, I can't believe I have never yet seen a production of Urinetown!!  I must remedy that soon!

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#42Funniest Musical of All Time?
Posted: 8/29/16 at 11:33pm

While I agree that The Producers was probably the funniest show I have seen, I would give second place to Dirty Rotten Scoundrels..  DRS was an under appreciated gem, far superior to Spamalot.   

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

Peter2 Profile Photo
Peter2
#43Funniest Musical of All Time?
Posted: 8/30/16 at 12:00pm

I'd like to add "On the Town" to the list. Camden and Green's book and lyrics are one quotable funny line after another (like their movie revision of "Auntie Mame"Funniest Musical of All Time?.

edcrum
#44Funniest Musical of All Time?
Posted: 8/30/16 at 12:08pm

JBroadway said: "Another vote for Spelling Bee, here! Simply genius. I'd also like to throw out:

--Avenue Q (also genius) 

--The Book of Mormon (I'm pretty tired of it now, but when the jokes were fresh, they were really excellent!) 

--Gentleman's Guide (funny in a different way - more clever and witty than outright hilarious) 

--Spamalot (gotta love that Jew song) 

--Xanadu (laughed myself silly!) 

--[title of show] (not as funny as the others on the list, but still very funny)

I'd also like give a shoutout to One Man, Two Guvnors - a play with music. I've literally never laughed harder in the theatre in my entire life. So funny!

Xanadu. Urinetown. Batboy. 

jessepp Profile Photo
jessepp
#45Funniest Musical of All Time?
Posted: 8/30/16 at 12:39pm

Assassins (darkly comedic) 

...is a puzzlement.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#46Funniest Musical of All Time?
Posted: 8/30/16 at 1:03pm

I often forget how hilarious Company is.  I just rewatched the Doyle production and while I didn't care for the use of instruments in this particular production  (loved it in Sweeney) it's absolutely hysterical.

Jarethan
#47Funniest Musical of All Time?
Posted: 8/30/16 at 5:37pm

icecreambenjamin said: "I often forget how hilarious Company is.  I just rewatched the Doyle production and while I didn't care for the use of instruments in this particular production  (loved it in Sweeney) it's absolutely hysterical.

I have always felt that the weakness of Company was its book.  It's humor always seem forced to me, and the book seem dated on opening night.  The tired jokes about pot smoking and karate and fear of getting married were just too easy.  George Furth was a hack...didn't he duo the book for Merrily?

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#48Funniest Musical of All Time?
Posted: 8/30/16 at 6:40pm

Jarethan said: "icecreambenjamin said: "I often forget how hilarious Company is.  I just rewatched the Doyle production and while I didn't care for the use of instruments in this particular production  (loved it in Sweeney) it's absolutely hysterical.

I have always felt that the weakness of Company was its book.  It's humor always seem forced to me, and the book seem dated on opening night.  The tired jokes about pot smoking and karate and fear of getting married were just too easy.  George Furth was a hack...didn't he duo the book for Merrily?

I have never understood this opinion.  The show is about people of that era, so yes it's "dated."  I would argue that Company has become a period piece now the same way that South Pacific and A Chorus Line (both shows that were very much products of their time) have.  The script is non-linear and the jokes are about the late 60's-early 70's and I think that the show is more enjoyable when you embrace that.

sing_dance_love Profile Photo
sing_dance_love
#49Funniest Musical of All Time?
Posted: 8/30/16 at 6:51pm

Another vote for Drowsy, Full Monty, and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels here. Drowsy's book is an absolute riot, and the lyrics to both of Yazbeck's scores for the latter two are frequently laugh out loud funny. Great, great shows. 

And totally agreed, Spelling Bee is so consistently funny, it's actually quite remarkable. 

"...and in a bed."

#50Funniest Musical of All Time?
Posted: 8/30/16 at 8:44pm

Xanadu 

The Full Monty

Spamalot