pixeltracker

THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews- Page 3

THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#50THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/17/16 at 1:15pm

I have two Access10 tickets for this evening's performance that I'm looking to sell at cost, so $20 for the pair.  Please PM me if interested!

Update: The tickets have been claimed, thank you!

Updated On: 9/17/16 at 01:15 PM

astromiami
#51THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/17/16 at 4:34pm

dave1606 said: "I was there tonight and really disliked it. I fondly remember my first exposure to Checkov as Uncle Vanya on 42nd St. Tonight I kept thinking of how what is essentially a filmed read-through of actors doing that play was more interesting than this production.

Pretty depressing that a filmed record of a production that the actors had been working on over many years, gets described as a "read-through."

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#52THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/17/16 at 6:18pm

The Big Baloney, our neighbor went and reported back it was horrible.A woman next to him fell asleep with her head on his shoulder. What a shame we missed it Thursday . 

Poster Emeritus

jonlow09
#53THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/17/16 at 6:38pm

Updated On: 9/17/16 at 06:38 PM

sppunk
#54THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/17/16 at 7:08pm

I have tickets for this in November and am unpleased at these reviews. THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews We can only get to shows twice/year. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#55THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/17/16 at 7:11pm

I'm gonna be that person and ask if Diane Lane statedoored afterwards b

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#56THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/17/16 at 9:16pm

Well.

I like the sets. I liked the live music, too. But I really have to agree with what has already been said: what a mess.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

10086sunset
#57THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/17/16 at 10:26pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I'm gonna be that person and ask if Diane Lane statedoored afterwards b"

Friend of mine waited opening night. She was there until midnight and said Lane didn't come out. Joel Gray came out, gave a quick wave and went straight for his car. Perrineau came out, signed two which he personalized before looking at the twenty or so other people and gave the sharpie back to a security guard...

Jordan Catalano
#58THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/17/16 at 10:30pm

That's basically exactly what I figured it would be like. 

followspot Profile Photo
followspot
#59THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/17/16 at 10:34pm

I've seen some major misses from Roundabout in recent years (PICNIC and THE REAL THING come immediately to mind), but this is something beyond even that.  Dreadful on every level.  A cast of good actors absolutely directionless, hideously costumed, ineptly blocked, trapped in an "adaptation" bad beyond words.  God forbid this be anyone's introduction to Chekhov, as his beauty, wit, and depth are nowhere to be found.  I picked a bad day to give up drinking.  

"Tracy... Hold Mama's waffles."

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#60THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/17/16 at 10:41pm

Did anyone see either the Diane Wiest production at Classic Stage company or the recent production that played BAM? Both look like they were very well received.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

followspot Profile Photo
followspot
#61THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/17/16 at 10:45pm

Did anyone see either the Diane Wiest production at Classic Stage company or the recent production that played BAM? Both look like they were very well received.

Didn't see the BAM.  The Classic Stage Company production in 2011 was wonderful.

Updated On: 9/17/16 at 10:45 PM

fb1123
#62THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/18/16 at 8:18am

I saw this yesterday (Saturday matinee) and found it tedious and pointless.  It seemed to go on forever.  Not being familiar with the source material prior to the performance,  I read the TDF synopsis and expected something more dramatic and tragic but got none of that.  I found the color blind casting just another distraction, the costumes drab and save a few moments from Diane Lane that grabbed me there was nothing worthy of my time.  NY audiences will give an ovation to nearly anything but not this time.

BIG BALONEY Profile Photo
BIG BALONEY
#63THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/18/16 at 8:59am

What a mess this production turned out to be. I can't get over these lousy ideas being use to present classics. These subscription houses expect to keep members with crap like this on stage. Nice to see these actors but sad they are dead in the water.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#64THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/18/16 at 9:14am

QueenAlice said: "Did anyone see either the Diane Wiest production at Classic Stage company or the recent production that played BAM? Both look like they were very well received.

"

The BAM production was not without flaws, but it had in Simon Russell Beale the greatest Lopahkin I've ever seen. 

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#65THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/18/16 at 10:03am

Yikes. I'm seeing this October 1 at 2pm. Luckily, I'm seeing Falsettos that same night...

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#66THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/18/16 at 10:24am

fb1123 said: "Not being familiar with the source material prior to the performance,  I read the TDF synopsis and expected something more dramatic and tragic but got none of that."

To be fair, it sounds like that particular disappointment was likely a result of not being familiar with Chekhov's style. He's all about action in non-action, so to speak. It's not meant to be grand and dramatic. Still, it's true that when it's not done well, it can be very tedious. 

Jordan Catalano
#67THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/18/16 at 10:35am

Well, I liked it. I feel like some people just expect more than they know they're going to get or want to hate something so they do. 

hork Profile Photo
hork
#68THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/18/16 at 11:35am

Jordan Catalano said: "Well, I liked it. I feel like some people just expect more than they know they're going to get or want to hate something so they do. 

Why would anyone want to hate something they went out to see and paid a lot of money for? It sounds like people "just expected" a good play and didn't get it.

followspot Profile Photo
followspot
#69THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/18/16 at 1:23pm

some people just expect more than they know they're going to get

What does that even mean?

Many people will like this production.  Are we to ascribe ulterior motives to their opinions as well, including yours?  Every opinion is legitimate.

I've seen at least a dozen productions of THE CHERRY ORCHARD in my lifetime.  Each involved myriad artistic choices.  The choices made in this production put it firmly at the bottom of my experiences with this play.  That's where my opinion comes from, and my opinion alone.  I don't go to theater to hate anything.

Updated On: 9/18/16 at 01:23 PM

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#70THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/18/16 at 2:21pm

The kindest thing I can say about this production is that it still wasn't as bad as last season's Old Times. I found The Cherry Orchard to be extremely uninspired, meandering, and unfortunately dull in every way, save perhaps the lighting design and the nice touch of incorporating live musicians. 

I can't necessarily fault the incredible ensemble of actors that Roundabout has assembled, because I'm sure they're trying (in a myriad of different styles) to elevate what can only be described as a horribly amateurish adaptation of the text by Karam. Nothing in this adaptation landed, especially the lame attempts at humor and even worse attempts at genuine character development. 

I don’t understand the appreciation for Harold Perrineau's performance at all; I felt like he was doing his best imitation of Chris Rock… and his angry, confrontational “dancing” when he finally admits to buying the orchard was cringeworthy. Diane Lane doesn’t necessarily fare much better, although I felt like she had so little to work with that it’s hard to critique her performance. I’m thankful for Chuck Cooper and Joel Grey for their genuinely entertaining and at times (somewhat) moving performances. Everyone else modulated from irritating to hardly registering at all.

And yes, the costumes are as bad as everyone has reported. I was also very disappointed with the set design. I like the idea of the tree stump, but I hated the minimalistic, impressionistic approach they took to everything else, especially the scene set in the orchard. They could have really wowed the audience with a beautiful reveal of the orchard when the curtain comes down and rises in the middle of Act 1, but all we got were more nursery-themed mobiles of trees.

"Disappointed" quite accurately sums up my reaction to the whole evening. So much potential on stage, and such an opportunity for Karam to display another facet of his playwriting talents, but it’s all an utter mess. It felt like he bought the Sparknotes page-by-page summary of the play, slapped his name on it, and walked away for the actors and director to handle.

After Eight
#71THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/18/16 at 4:42pm

"and such an opportunity for Karam to display another facet of his playwriting talents, but it’s all an utter mess."

Actually, the playwriting "talents "on display here were entirely commensurate with the ones displayed in his two previous opuses. I don't see why anyone would be in the slightest bit surprised that the utter mess before us was the utter mess before us.

wonkit
#72THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/18/16 at 7:36pm

As someone who has not "gotten" Karam's previous work, I didn't expect much of this but I will still try to see it, if the price is right. I love Chekhov but have trouble listening to any translation/adaptation of this other than Stoppard's.

fan1bsb97
#73THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/18/16 at 10:16pm

I'm selling ticket(s) for October 1, $25. My hiptix guest can't make it. I'm also willing to be there to pick them up and sell both if you're interested.

wonkit
#74THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/18/16 at 10:35pm

I can't make it till later in October but thanks.

Videos