pixeltracker

The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread- Page 9

The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#200The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/12/19 at 5:44pm

BroadwayNYC2 said: "Love Beatriz but she plays very tough and intelligent. Will be interesting to see her Carla."

I recently watched the Brooklyn 99 story where Rosa goes undercover as a ditzy salon customer and ends up having to get her hair dyed blonde and permed to keep the informant talking. That's immediately what I thought of when I heard this wink

A Director
#201The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/12/19 at 5:46pm

A post from LMM Semi-regular reminder that if you hear Heights movie casting news and it ain't from me, @jonmchu, or @quiarahudes, it ain't casting news. It's hearsay. ...

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#202The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/12/19 at 6:11pm

Kitsune said: "BroadwayNYC2 said: "Love Beatriz but she plays very tough and intelligent. Will be interesting to see her Carla."

I recently watched the Brooklyn 99 story where Rosa goes undercover as a ditzy salon customer and ends up having to get her hair dyed blonde and permed to keep the informant talking. That's immediately what I thought of when I heard thiswink
"

I just immediately thought of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2gyvlATLiI

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#203The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/12/19 at 6:18pm

edit

Updated On: 4/13/19 at 06:18 PM

teddy1996
#204The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/13/19 at 1:44am

daphne rubin vega would be the wrong choice for daniela. her vocals are not that great. they are all over the place. justina machado or sofia vergara would be much better choices

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#205The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/13/19 at 9:40am

teddy1996 said: "daphne rubin vega would be the wrong choice for daniela. her vocals are not that great. they are all over the place. justina machado or sofia vergara would be much better choices"

Completely.  Plus they are better known so it’ll add something to the film.  Sofia was heavily in consideration when the film was greenlit in 2011 before the plug was pulled.  Lin-Manuel even said in an interview the part was hers if she really wanted it.   Daniela is such a standout supporting role (and an audience favorite).  You need a name to showcase that role.   

And please cast a legendary older Latina actress for Abuela Claudia.  Olga Merediz was great for the Broadway production, even though her old woman costuming forced us to believe she was an older woman.  This role needs to be an event in the film adaptation.  Merediz is completely unknown.  

teddy1996
#206The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/14/19 at 9:45pm

i hope the rumors that stephanie beatriz is carla is true. she would be absolutely perfect for the role. but if the rumor that daphne rubin vega will be playing daniela is true, then i will be highly disappointed. she is a great actress but her vocals are very inconsistent

MollyJeanneMusic
#207The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/14/19 at 9:54pm

The funny thing for me is that during an episode of B99, Olga played Stephanie's mom (5x12, "Game Night"The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread.  If Stephanie and Olga are both cast, I would love to see if they make any reference to their previous relationship.

Also, does anyone know if Stephanie can sing?  I would love her as Carla, but she would have to sing in both "No Me Diga" and "Carnaval Del Barrio," and I've never heard her sing on B99.

"I think that when a movie says it was 'based on a true story,' oh, it happened - just with uglier people." - Peanut Walker, Shucked

teddy1996
#208The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/14/19 at 10:20pm

MollyJeanneMusic said: "The funny thing for me is that during an episode of B99, Olga played Stephanie's mom (5x12, "Game Night"The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread. If Stephanie and Olga are both cast, I would love to see if they make any reference to their previous relationship.

Also, does anyone know if Stephanie can sing? I would love her as Carla, but she would have to sing in both "No Me Diga" and "Carnaval Del Barrio," and I've never heard her sing on B99.
"

look up her cover of you and i by lady gaga on youtube. she can sing very well. she has a very sweet singing voice 

MollyJeanneMusic
#209The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/15/19 at 10:58am

teddy1996 said: "look up her cover of you and i by lady gaga on youtube. she can sing very well. she has a very sweet singing voice"

I'll definitely have to look that up!

By the way, Lin just posted on Twitter that he'll be making more announcements at noon.  Do you think he'll confirm the Stephanie casting?  Is there someone else he'll announce - maybe Kevin or Camila?  

"I think that when a movie says it was 'based on a true story,' oh, it happened - just with uglier people." - Peanut Walker, Shucked

BrodyFosse123
#210The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/15/19 at 12:18pm

Lin has confirmed Olga Merediz will reprise her Tony Award nominated role of Abuela Claudia in the film adaptation. It is what it is.  At least the film has an original cast member.

The film is shooting exteriors on location in Washington Heights (interiors on soundstages) so if anything, it’s going to look fabulous.

teddy1996
#211The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/15/19 at 12:29pm

it’s amazing that olga merediz is reprising her role as abuela. no one can play abuela as great as her. jimmy smits is a great actor and i hope he can sing well. and i love the fact that they casted an actual 14-15 year old as sonny.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#212The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/15/19 at 1:07pm

So glad Olga Merediz was cast. I couldn't truly picture anyone else doing this role as well as she did it on the stage. I'm ready for her "Paciencia y Fe" - the movie version!!!

BwayLB
#213The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/15/19 at 2:28pm

Alabanza for Abuela! I’m surprised Olga wanted to come back and play her.

JSquared2
#214The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/15/19 at 2:33pm

BwayLB said: "Alabanza for Abuela! I’m surprised Olga wanted to come back and play her."

Why on earth would she turn down a role in a major film?

BrodyFosse123
#215The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/15/19 at 2:34pm

BwayLB said: "Alabanza for Abuela! I’m surprised Olga wanted to come back and play her."

Are you serious with this?!   The entire original cast would have accepted the chance to recreate their original roles for the film.  The film is for posterity unlike their stage performances.  

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#216The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/15/19 at 2:39pm

Loving the casting for this so far. Not shocking it's the director and studio of CRAZY RICH ASIANS - they seem to be using a similar method of casting. A few people you recognize but mostly unknowns to the general public. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

teddy1996
#217The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/15/19 at 3:20pm

i better see justina machado cast as daniela. and i want to see gloria estefan as camila. she would do a great job.

BwayLB
#218The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/15/19 at 3:25pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "BwayLB said: "Alabanza for Abuela! I’m surprised Olga wanted to come back and play her."

Are you serious with this?! The entire original cast would have accepted the chance to recreate their original roles for the film. The film is for posterity unlike their stage performances.

"

Well it’s been eleven years since the show came to Broadway

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#219The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/15/19 at 7:25pm

She's actually age appropriate for the role now and her skills are unmatched. Olga is going to hit it out of the park. I can't wait for a fully backed Paciencia Y Fe.

teddy1996
#220The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/15/19 at 7:58pm

they have to include all the songs plus the new song. the script is a bit long as well the stage show is 2 hrs long with dialogue so the movie will probably be around the same. i predict the movie will be 2 and 15 minutes long. it could be even longer.

Zion24
#221The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/15/19 at 10:40pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "teddy1996 said: "daphne rubin vega would be the wrong choice for daniela. her vocals are not that great. they are all over the place. justina machado or sofia vergara would be much better choices"

Andplease cast a legendary older Latina actress for Abuela Claudia. Olga Merediz was great for the Broadway production, even though her old woman costuming forced us to believe she was an older woman. This role needs to be an event in the film adaptation. Merediz is completely unknown.
"

Both of these points bug me, especially the latter re Olga Merediz.

First, Daphne Rubin Vega's voice isnt traditional, but girl can sing. She sang the hell out of Miss You Like Hell last year (live, 8x a week) so the idea that she isnt vocally up to a supporting role recorded in a studio is kinda silly- ESPECIALLY when the suggested alternative is.... Sofia Vergara? 

As for Olga Merediz, not only was her performance on Broadway gut wrenching, but for years the general consensus has been what a SHAME it is when movies are made and original Broadway performers are shoved aside for new "stars." Literally, thats been a thing for decades. While understandable because films need to get financed/paid, its kinda sad to see the reverse now, wishing that some "star" would be cast instead of the incredibly talented woman who originated the role so beautifully. To the extent any casting director or producer suggested overlooking a true star like Merediz for a "name," huge props to Lin for making sure talent gets its due. 

(also, what big stars are going to be in this? i love anthony ramos and jimmy smits, but the idea that they are going to be selling tickets sounds a little ridiculous to me. this will sell on Lin's name and the property's name.)

teddy1996
#222The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/16/19 at 12:24am

I hope they cast some Afrolatinx actors for the In The Heights movie... a true representation of Washington Heights and ALL of its colors is so necessary.

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#223The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/16/19 at 8:59am

teddy1996 said: "I hope they cast some Afrolatinx actors for the In The Heights movie... a true representation of Washington Heights and ALL of its colors is so necessary."

This! I remember reading when the film was announced [to actually be moving forward this time] that Lin was open to casting regular people from the neighborhood as extras. I think that would Def showcase the neighborhoods diversity. 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

teddy1996
#224The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 4/16/19 at 12:44pm

our cast so far:

Anthony Ramos: Usnavi
Corey Hawkins: Benny
Leslie Grace: Nina
Melissa Barrera: Vanessa
Olga Merediz: Abuela Claudia
Jimmy Smits: Kevin
Gregory Diaz IV: Sonny
Daphne Rubin Vega: Daniela
Stephanie Beatriz: Carla
Dashca Polanco: Cuca

daphne, stephanie, and dascha were confirmed today by lin. i personally think that daphne’s voice is too rock and roll for the part of daniela but lin chose her for a reason so i trust his decision. and cuca is a brand new character that is based on quiara hudes’ aunt. i love dashca polanco and i am very excited to see her in this movie. this is a very solid cast so far.