#27First Musical you ever saw?
Posted: 10/9/16 at 11:26pm

Broadway: Ben Franklin in Paris, not the greatest first live musical

Movies: Gigi, still my favorite movie musical

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#28First Musical you ever saw?
Posted: 10/10/16 at 12:30am

If we're listing movies too, it was probably the 1999 TV version of ANNIE. or The Sound of Music.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#29First Musical you ever saw?
Posted: 10/10/16 at 5:35am

My first was MARY, a pre-Broadway tryout of a musical adaptation of MARY OF SCOTLAND starring Inga Swenson and John Cullum, or CALL ME MADAM starring Ethel Merman. Both played the same Fort Lauderdale theater when I was 12.

Broadway Geek2
#30First Musical you ever saw?
Posted: 10/10/16 at 10:52am

"Hello Dolly!" pre-Broadway at the National Theatre in Washington, DC.  Original Broadway cast including Ms. Channing.

And, yes, I do have tickets to the 2017 revival smiley

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#31First Musical you ever saw?
Posted: 10/10/16 at 11:03am

The first movie musical I ever saw was Chitty bang bang or the sound of music. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

nyc88
#32First Musical you ever saw?
Posted: 10/10/16 at 11:34am

Coco in 1970.  I went with my mom at age 6 or 7.  Only think I remember (assuming it is accurate) was there was a long staircase and she walked down it in white.  When I went to look up the date, I learned that it starred Katherine Hepburn, Andre Previn wrote the music, and Alan J Lerner wrote the book and lyrics. Michael Bennett choreographed and Harold Wheeler did the dance arrangements. Lots of talent.

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#33First Musical you ever saw?
Posted: 10/10/16 at 11:54am

The earliest I can remember is seeing a tour of Camelot with Robert Goulet as Arthur.  I think I was around 10 or so.

mamaleh
#34First Musical you ever saw?
Posted: 10/10/16 at 6:41pm

BAKER STREET on a school trip.

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#35First Musical you ever saw?
Posted: 10/10/16 at 6:45pm

Either Into the Woods at Buffalo State, or Beauty and the Beast on Broadway. I don't remember which was first.

aj88
#36First Musical you ever saw?
Posted: 10/11/16 at 7:20am

The first thing I ever saw in live theatre would've been The Nutcracker when I was 4.

The first musical I ever saw was the tour of Hello Dolly starring Carol Channing when I was 6.

And then on my 10th birthday, I saw my first Broadway show which was the original production of Ragtime.

buhbuhbilly Profile Photo
buhbuhbilly
#37First Musical you ever saw?
Posted: 10/11/16 at 7:51am

I hardly remember it, but I saw THE PIRATE QUEEN in previews on a high school trip to NYC

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#38First Musical you ever saw?
Posted: 10/11/16 at 12:45pm

MARY, a pre-Broadway tryout of a musical adaptation of MARY OF SCOTLAND starring Inga Swenson and John Cullum

Ummmmm I need to hear this.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#39First Musical you ever saw?
Posted: 10/11/16 at 1:48pm

It was probably Lion King or Beauty and the Beast, but I was super young so I don't remember them.

The first Broadway musical I clearly remember seeing was Wicked on my 8th grade class trip.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#40First Musical you ever saw?
Posted: 10/11/16 at 2:33pm

First ever: The Pajama Game - Theatre Under the Stars, Houston, TX 1975

First Broadway musical: Les Miserables 1988

First West End musical: The (New) Rocky Horror Show 1999

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Finch
#41First Musical you ever saw?
Posted: 10/11/16 at 2:42pm

"The  Music Man" -- Preston, Cook, Kelton, Hodges, Wolfington, the original cast.  Last row in the orchestra on the left.  It was the start of many, many more shows on Broadway for me.  The show and the trip to NY was part of a 15th birthday present for me from me.

Pit Monger
#42First Musical you ever saw?
Posted: 10/13/16 at 11:45pm

A High School production of "Hello Dolly" at 11 or 12, the National Touring company of "Jesus Christ Superstar" early in high school and finally on Broadway during a school trip the summer of 1977 "Annie", "I Love My Wife" & "Chicago". 

10086sunset
#43First Musical you ever saw?
Posted: 10/14/16 at 8:37am

Miss Saigon, OBC, 1991

LarryD2
#44First Musical you ever saw?
Posted: 10/14/16 at 9:45am

My One and Only during my first trip to NYC, July 1983. On the same trip, I saw 42nd Street, You Can't Take It With You, Agnes of God, A Chorus Line, and the revival of Mame.

whatacharacter Profile Photo
whatacharacter
#45First Musical you ever saw?
Posted: 10/14/16 at 10:52am

Whistle Down the Wind in it's Pre-notgoingtoBroadway tryout at the National Theatre in DC with Davis Gaines.

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#46First Musical you ever saw?
Posted: 10/16/16 at 1:04am

Other than kiddie theater shows, my first musical was "Carnival," on Broadway with Mel Ferrer and Susan Watson (who replaced Anna Maria Alberghetti). I was seven years old and blown away. Maybe it was the beginning of my "Phantom" obsession -- I recently saw "Carnival" again, and realized that the stories are similar, except that "Carnival" has a happy ending.

Audrey

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

ARTc3
#47First Musical you ever saw?
Posted: 10/16/16 at 1:14am

Carnival, staring Liza Minnelli at The Paper Mill Playhouse. It blew me away. My first Broadway musical was Hello Dolly starring Pearl Bailey. Pretty amazing start.

ARTc3 formerly ARTc. Actually been a poster since 2004. My name isn't Art. Drop the "3" and say the signature and you'll understand.

nycward
#48First Musical you ever saw?
Posted: 10/16/16 at 1:45am

Wow. Okay. Was raised in New York and began seeing Broadway shows back in high school. My first show was The Roar Of The Greasepaint with Anthony Newley. It absolutely captivated my theatre lovers heart and I have never forgotten "Who Can I Turn To." I've never seen anyone try to revive the show anywhere, but I guess because it is so stylized, it feels a bit of it's time in the late 60's. A great memory that I'm smiling about as I write this post. 

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#49First Musical you ever saw?
Posted: 10/16/16 at 1:54am

Bye Bye Birdie-Brisbane/Australia-I was 15, impressionable, growing and about to break loose.

Updated On: 10/18/16 at 01:54 AM