FALSETTOS Reviews

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#25FALSETTOS Reviews
Posted: 10/28/16 at 9:19am

What a beautiful review from Isherwood - and here I thought his heart had gone the way of the Grinch.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#26FALSETTOS Reviews
Posted: 10/28/16 at 9:32am

"Cupid Boy2 said: "Luscious said: "Quit the drama. Who said anything about writing someone off or blocking them? I can appreciate varying views and opinions and I enjoy reading what others think and have to say, even if I don't agree with them. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But that doesn't mean that I have to trust their judgement when their views and opinions on a particular subject differ that much from my own. I watch the news channels and listen to both sides talk about why they think their candidate would make the better president. I enjoy the discourse. But I would never trust the political judgement of a Trump supporter."

Please stop trying to twist what I said to fit your ridiculous accusations. I'm not making sweeping judgements about anyone or discounting their opinion. I said that everyone is entitled to their opinion and that I enjoy reading about what others think and have to say on a subject, even if I disagree with them. I also said that their opinion doesn't make my taste in shows better than theirs or theirs better than mine. Just different. Since you didn't care for my political analogy, allow me to offer another. If someone HATED a particular restaurant that I LOVED, a favorite restaurant that I've been going to for years and have recommended to numerous others, I wouldn't trust their judgement on restaurants either. It doesn't mean that I'm right and they're wrong. It just means that are tastes are so dissimilar, why in the world would I trust their judgement in this area? That's all I have to say on the subject. Feel free to have the last word and spin it however you like.

ETA: Thrilled over the rave reviews and so happy for the cast! Can't wait to see it again!

Updated On: 10/28/16 at 09:32 AM

massofmen
#27FALSETTOS Reviews
Posted: 10/28/16 at 9:38am

• I find it cute that people still think reviews from 6 newspapers matter. 
Updated On: 10/28/16 at 09:38 AM

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#28FALSETTOS Reviews
Posted: 10/28/16 at 9:52am

I feel this is a show where fans have their own perfect vision of how it needs to be acted/sung/directed and any deviation from that is criticized. Many of the negative reviews from the preview thread say things along the lines of "Marvin should be more like this..." or "Whizzer should not come across like that..." I understand where those opinions come from but they don't have the same impact on me that other reviews do. 

I'm totally guilty of doing this. When the revised "bare" travesty opened a few years ago, I had such a severely negative reaction to it because, as a fan, it wasn't the show I had fallen in love with. 

"I shall stay until the wind changes."
Updated On: 10/28/16 at 09:52 AM

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#29FALSETTOS Reviews
Posted: 10/28/16 at 10:03am

I, for one, am a huge fan of the original production, and I LOVED this revival. I didn't mind the changes or reinterpretations one bit. In fact, I thought most of the choices bettered the original. I actually stopped going to see revivals a few years ago because inevitably they never lived up to my expectations or memories of the original productions. I made an exception for FALSETTOS, and, boy, am I glad I did!

E. riley
#30FALSETTOS Reviews
Posted: 10/28/16 at 10:31am

I hated it too. I was so looking forward to seeing it. Loving the cast and hearing the heart in all of the fans of the show.

It did not work for me. I thought the material was dated and I didn't feel those moments of truth and theatre magic I was hoping for. 

Also thought the design was juvenile and aside from loving Brandon Uranowitz and the boy and some good moments for Block, I thought the rest of the cast was off. 

It was a Sunday matinee in previews. I did not understand the love for this piece. There are better plays and better musicals that mine these feelings in a much more seamless and well written way..........for me

....just an opinion.

I'm one of the few who loved American psycho and hated The Crucible. So my opinion is just a grain of salt. 

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#31FALSETTOS Reviews
Posted: 10/28/16 at 11:22am

I think many including myself loved American Psycho, it was quite simply one of the most exciting new musicals in years.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

indytallguy
#32FALSETTOS Reviews
Posted: 10/28/16 at 12:29pm

I'd like to believe I'll experience what Isherwood described, but I've been burned so many times in the past from his gushing reviews that it is hard to not be skeptical.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#33FALSETTOS Reviews
Posted: 10/28/16 at 3:06pm

Seeing it tomorrow night. Bringing tissues. The friends I saw it with at Playwrights Horizons and on Broadway are all dead.

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#34FALSETTOS Reviews
Posted: 10/28/16 at 3:23pm

indytallguy said: "I'd like to believe I'll experience what Isherwood described, but I've been burned so many times in the past from his gushing reviews that it is hard to not be skeptical."

I think your reaction will be tied to the casting - if you are a fan of the two leading men you'll be fine.

Up In One

FiddleMeThis
#35FALSETTOS Reviews
Posted: 10/28/16 at 3:54pm

Agree. His gushing over AAIP made for some giant disappointment when I finally caught the show. 

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#36FALSETTOS Reviews
Posted: 10/28/16 at 5:27pm

"Block sends the show to such dizzying heights that it takes the audience a few minutes to recover."  That's my girl see ya in June.

Stephanatic

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#37FALSETTOS Reviews
Posted: 10/28/16 at 5:33pm

What do you think the chances are that they'll film this production before it closes in January? I'm not talking about archival filming. I mean for public release.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#38FALSETTOS Reviews
Posted: 10/28/16 at 5:55pm

That's impossible to tell.. there really hasn't been much of a consistent pattern in what's been filmed for broadcast/release.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#39FALSETTOS Reviews
Posted: 10/28/16 at 5:59pm

I wonder if these reviews will lead to an extension/an announcement of an open-run.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#40FALSETTOS Reviews
Posted: 10/28/16 at 6:05pm

If they extend, they would have to replace Borle, no? I understand that he'll be juggling Falsettos with rehearsals for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory during the last few weeks of its run.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#41FALSETTOS Reviews
Posted: 10/28/16 at 8:42pm

I can't see a voluntary desire to venture deeper into the dead box office zone of late Jan/Feb/early March.

schubox
#42FALSETTOS Reviews
Posted: 10/29/16 at 5:14pm

I just got out of the Saturday matinee and I adored this. I knew almost nothing about it going in other than what I read on here. I read the critique of the staging with the blocks, but I thought it worked fine and allowed them to do some creative things.

I absolutely loved it and it really affected me. I broke down hard at the end. 

Jimbo2 Profile Photo
Jimbo2
#43FALSETTOS Reviews
Posted: 10/30/16 at 5:00pm

I went to the first preview and last night. I could not believe how the show had improved. A lot of lyric changes, first number totally restaged, Trina no longer cuts her finger during I'm Breaking Down and I could go on and on...just loved this show as well as the production in 92. Can't wait for the cast recording now!

"If we don't wake up and shake the nation, we'll eat the dust of the world, wondering why...why?"

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#44FALSETTOS Reviews
Posted: 10/30/16 at 5:07pm

Stephanie J. Block's "I'm Breaking Down" was brilliant, the finest performance of that song since Alison Fraser's.

I was sitting all the way on House Right, in the second row, very close to where she was exiting with the knife in her hand.

I yelled "Brava" twice during the applause for her song. They were completely sincere. The second time, she looked down at where the bravas were coming from, shook the knife at me, and completely in character, mouthed the words, "I'll get you too!"

The man next to me said, "Be careful who you cheer for!"

She. Was. That. Good.

Updated On: 10/30/16 at 05:07 PM

South Florida
#45FALSETTOS Reviews
Posted: 10/30/16 at 8:01pm

^Thank you sir.

Stephanatic

South Florida
#46FALSETTOS Reviews
Posted: 10/30/16 at 8:02pm

She hardly gets a mention in the Tony 2017 thread.

Stephanatic

Hairspray0901
#47FALSETTOS Reviews
Posted: 10/30/16 at 9:41pm

Saw today's matinee and can not get over Stephanie J Block's performance. PLEASE give her a TONY for this role!! She absolutely brought down the house with "I'm Breaking Down". I also LOVED Brandon Uranowitz and Anthony Rosenthal's performances; they were certainly scene stealers. Tracie Thoms was out and at first I was pretty bummed about that but the role is so minuscule, I didn't mind. Her understudy was great, but, with little material, not much for me to report on with that. Betsy Wolfe - also great but again, not much to work with. I felt Borle and Rannels were just ok (wasn't impressed with either of them, TBH) and I thought the set, or, lack of set, was very boring. 

As a whole, I really liked the show but didn't LOVE it. 

whizzer_wins Profile Photo
whizzer_wins
#48FALSETTOS Reviews
Posted: 10/30/16 at 11:10pm

How does Rannells perform as Whizzer? 

I mainly bought tickets because of him because I've  really admired Rannells for awhile (though now I've fallen for the whole cast and watched the OBC for Falsettos)! 

I'm really curious to hear opinions on his interpretation of Whizzer, I've heard mixed reviews.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#49FALSETTOS Reviews
Posted: 10/31/16 at 12:14am

Glad to see the positive reviews here, this show might get some really good attention at the Tony Awards, amid upcoming stiff competition from both Hello, Dolly! and Miss Saigon this season.