pixeltracker

Is Stephen Sondheim Overrated?- Page 2

Is Stephen Sondheim Overrated?

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#25Is Stephen Sondheim Overrated?
Posted: 10/29/16 at 11:34pm

Is Sondheim overrated? Of course not. His lyrics can be as sophisticated as those of Cole Porter or as colloquial as those of Oscar Hammerstein, as funny as Larry Hart's or as touching and true-to-character as Sheldon Harnick's.

His minimalist music is not only memorable in its own right (think of the opening theme of FOLLIES: most of us didn't even know it had lyrics until years later), it is the perfect medium for stage music, where the lyrics must be intelligible even as an orchestra plays, scenery moves, and the dancing chorus taps.

I don't know why "mass appeal" is even a criterion, Mr. Nowack. Are the paintings of the Cubists inferior to "Dogs Playing Poker"? Mass appeal is usually enjoyed by those who tell us comforting clichés (pets are like people); artists such as Sondheim confront us with truths we usually do our best to avoid.

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#26Is Stephen Sondheim Overrated?
Posted: 10/29/16 at 11:53pm

No, not all. Not in the slightest. I still feel honored to have worked with him twice. 

After Eight
#27Is Stephen Sondheim Overrated?
Posted: 10/30/16 at 12:02am

Phantom of London,

I haven't read any of the responses to your question. I don't have to. I know they'll just parrot the same party-line guff we've been fed ad nauseam for over forty years now. Enough of that! 

The truth is, it lies entirely within your own power to obtain the most accurate answer to your question. All you need do --- that is, if you have the fortitude--- is to listen to some of his work.. A small amount will suffice heartily. The sentiments of distaste, irritation, and queasiness that will course instantly through your entire being will answer your query most definitively.

UncleCharlie
#28Is Stephen Sondheim Overrated?
Posted: 10/30/16 at 12:23am

Jay Lerner-Z said: "No, but if you really wanted a discussion, perhaps you could've given your own answer and at least attempted to make an argument for or against. 

Hopefully the people who respond will put a reciprocal amount of effort into their posts.

^This

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#29Is Stephen Sondheim Overrated?
Posted: 10/30/16 at 3:15am

Time will tell. One or two of these songs written 70-80 years ago by Rodgers and Hart ("My Funny Valentine", "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered"Is Stephen Sondheim Overrated?, George Gershwin ("Someone to Watch Over Me"Is Stephen Sondheim Overrated?, Jerome Kern ("The Way You Look Tonight", "All the Things You Are"Is Stephen Sondheim Overrated?, and Cole Porter ("I Get A Kick Out of You", "I've Got You Under my Skin"Is Stephen Sondheim Overrated?  are part of the repertoire of almost every contemporary vocalist today, to be sung and/or recorded. A week does not go by without hearing at least one.

As for full musicals, since Sondheim does not write the book to his musicals, how do you compare "his" musicals to others? Should we say that a show is by "Sondheim and Lapine" as we say Rodgers and Hammerstein?  Sondheim and Lapine will most likely be judged in the future by how often the properties are licensed and revived, compared to the shows of others. Some cliques will hold all Sondheim in the highest regard compared to musicals before and after, believing that those who don't "get" the musicals are just of a lower intellect.

Now I will duck and cover. I really am warming up to Sondheim, gradually..

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#30Is Stephen Sondheim Overrated?
Posted: 10/30/16 at 5:59am

I only read this to see if AfterEight chimed in--and predictably--he/she/they did.

Never disappoints.

Capeguy Profile Photo
Capeguy
#31Is Stephen Sondheim Overrated?
Posted: 10/30/16 at 7:31am

NO!

After Eight
#32Is Stephen Sondheim Overrated?
Posted: 10/30/16 at 8:20am

"I only read this to see if AfterEight chimed in " 

Wow. I'm flattered to see that I matter so much (or even at all.) You mean no one else's opinion was of interest to you? 

"and predictably -- he/she/they did."

Glad I lived up to expectations.

"Never disappoints."

That's precisely why I responded. It pains me to disappoint others. 

Well, Sweet Lips, now that you've gotten that off your chest, you can bask in the joys of listening to "No Life."

Have a happy Sunday.

Updated On: 10/30/16 at 08:20 AM

Consistency
#33Is Stephen Sondheim Overrated?
Posted: 10/30/16 at 1:54pm

Including Sondheim in a thread title is the forum equivalent of saying Beetlejuice three times. 

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#34Is Stephen Sondheim Overrated?
Posted: 10/30/16 at 2:24pm

It pains me to disappoint otters. 

Is Stephen Sondheim Overrated?

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#35Is Stephen Sondheim Overrated?
Posted: 10/30/16 at 2:27pm

This is still a stupid f*cking thread. 

Jay Lerner-Z
#36Is Stephen Sondheim Overrated?
Posted: 10/30/16 at 2:30pm

Otter:

A gay man who is very hairy all over his body, but is smaller in frame and weighs considerably less than a bear.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#37Is Stephen Sondheim Overrated?
Posted: 10/30/16 at 2:49pm

So opinions don't exist to you, After Eight?  You seem to spend a lot of time lamenting that 90% of Musical Theatre is not up to your standards. I don't care who loves Sondheim and who doesn't. To each their own. It doesn't interfere with my love of Sondheim and how his work has tapped into and I formed much of my life. Why must anyone who doesn't share your opinion be described as parrots incapable of forming their own opinion? I discovereSondheim without any idea of what the world thought of him. I spent much of my teen years enjoying cast recordings before social media and Google. I usually ignore you but I baffle at your.l need to hold your opinions as fact. 

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"
Updated On: 10/30/16 at 02:49 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#38Is Stephen Sondheim Overrated?
Posted: 10/30/16 at 2:56pm

No

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#39Is Stephen Sondheim Overrated?
Posted: 10/30/16 at 3:00pm

The original poster did not offer any of his thoughts to support why he feels Stephen Sondheim is overrated. So then what is the purpose of this thread?

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#40Is Stephen Sondheim Overrated?
Posted: 10/30/16 at 3:38pm

No. Next question.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#41Is Stephen Sondheim Overrated?
Posted: 10/30/16 at 3:53pm

This is the stupidest thread on the Internet in the history of stupidest threads on the Internet, and in the past two weeks, there have been two stupid threads that were so stupid they SEEMED to be the stupidest threads in the history of the Internet, which they couldn't have been because this thread IS.

After Eight
#42Is Stephen Sondheim Overrated?
Posted: 10/30/16 at 4:08pm

"So opinions don't exist to you, After Eight? "

Mildred,

Of course they exist. How could one deny their existence? There would be no message boards without them, would there? I simply said I didn't need to read them, because I already know what they expressed. 

Was I wrong?

"You seem to spend a lot of time lamenting that 90% of Musical Theatre is not up to your standards."

I lament the musical theatre that is not up to standards, period. 

Jay Lerner-Z
#43Is Stephen Sondheim Overrated?
Posted: 10/30/16 at 4:48pm

Why have you responded three times to a thread you claim not to have read?

How odd.

After Eight
#44Is Stephen Sondheim Overrated?
Posted: 10/30/16 at 4:50pm

^

Read carefully. I said I had not read the responses in this thread prior  to my first response. That is still the  case.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#45Is Stephen Sondheim Overrated?
Posted: 10/30/16 at 5:38pm

Some people aren't happy unless they're unhappy. 

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#46Is Stephen Sondheim Overrated?
Posted: 10/30/16 at 7:48pm

Generally I look forward to A8's comments whenever a new play opens, or whenever someone invokes the dreaded name Sondheim in a thread title. Having a dependable contrarian in the mix gives me the illusion that this board is still fair and balanced on some level.

But I take great umbrage at A8's insistence that those of us who love Sondheim above all others are simply following some party line. Whose party line is this, exactly? Certainly not the public's. Sondheim is still struggling to get any show of his to last longer than a year and a half on Broadway. Certainly not most of the critics-- do you not remember the pans that greeted his last original musical in NY which was "ROAD SHOW"? Or how about the slams that greeted "THE FROGS" at Lincoln Center before that?

Ask any of us who have loved his work since the 70's: we were the only ones we ever knew who loved him, and couldn't figure out why no-one else seemed to agree with us. In a sense, we were the contrarian After Eights of our youth in proclaiming our lonely devotion to his works.

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#47Is Stephen Sondheim Overrated?
Posted: 10/30/16 at 8:15pm

What's up bro?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhPh5w6MxFg

Stephanatic

After Eight
#48Is Stephen Sondheim Overrated?
Posted: 10/30/16 at 9:31pm

"Having a dependable contrarian in the mix gives me the illusion that this board is still fair and balanced on some level."

Well, you got one thing right, at least. It's an illusion. A real whopper of one. And from the other statements in your post, I'd say your quite enamored of them.

"Whose party line is this, exactly?"

Surely,  you can't be serious, can you? The elitists. The snobs. The soi-disant "intellectuals." The critics. The award givers. The agenda crowd.

" Certainly not most of the critics--"

Huh?.... Have you actually read any critics during the last 50 years? Did you read Frank Rich's reviews of Sunday in the Park With George? Did you read Ben Brantley's review of Sunday in the Park With George? 

Surely, you can't be serious, can you?

Please tell us you were speaking in jest.

Please... hello?

¿Macavity?
#49Is Stephen Sondheim Overrated?
Posted: 10/30/16 at 9:43pm

I can't believe people are still fussing over After Eight's reply. I thought he was fair with his response. It's called an opinion for a reason.