pixeltracker

UPDATE: IN TRANSIT Sets April 16 Closing Date- Page 9

UPDATE: IN TRANSIT Sets April 16 Closing Date

@z5
#200How Much Longer Does IN TRANSIT Have?
Posted: 4/11/17 at 9:51pm

Surprised it lasted this long and because of that, I'm shocked they're closing now. 

I did forget this show was a thing until I saw a few kids walking with playbills from it (which look awful, I must say)

VintageSnarker
#201How Much Longer Does IN TRANSIT Have?
Posted: 4/12/17 at 12:53am

Clyde15 said: "I'm just confused why now? Did the producers just run out of money? Was their advance getting worse? It seems stupid to wait all this time with a failing show only to post a 5 day closing notice.

My best guess is that none of the ways they've been trying (not very hard) to get people into the theater didn't result in a boost in sales. It's sad for the cast but hopefully they find other projects soon. 

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#202How Much Longer Does IN TRANSIT Have?
Posted: 4/12/17 at 8:40am

This is the show about which I would love to see a book written; the best title would be "The Worst Possible Way to Produce A Commercial Musical."

Chapter 1: Marry A Rich Man
Chapter 2: Develop Delusions of Artistic Adequacy
Chapter 3: Find Any Property At All, Ideally One That Has Been Around For Some Time And Has No Buzz At All, And Which No One Else Wants
Chapter 4: Employ A Cheap Gimmick That You Foolishly Think Will Sell The Show, Like An A Capella Score That You Compare To That Of The Successful Pitch Perfect Film Franchise
Chapter 5: Hire A Moderately Talented Team, None Of Whom Has A Name Familiar To General Audiences
Chapter 6: After The Bad Reviews Come Out, Keep Pumping Your Husband's (And His Wealthy Friends'*) Money Into The Show To Keep It Running
Chapter 7: When Husband And His Friends Close Their Wallets, Close The Show In Haste
Chapter 8: Convince Yourself That You Created A Significant And Underappreciated Work Of Art, And, Like Norma Desmond, Spend The Rest Of Your Life Watching Recordings

Updated On: 4/12/17 at 08:40 AM

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#203How Much Longer Does IN TRANSIT Have?
Posted: 4/12/17 at 8:51am

In all fairness, the strippers in Gypsy were not really transparent. They swore that you had to have a gimmick if you want to get applause.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#204How Much Longer Does IN TRANSIT Have?
Posted: 4/12/17 at 8:58am

why close now? It's Spring break this week and next, so now would be the best weeks to try and make as much money as possible. Should have closed in January.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

neonlightsxo
#205How Much Longer Does IN TRANSIT Have?
Posted: 4/12/17 at 10:10am

They must have run out of money.

April closing- just like Honeymoon in Vegas.

"We live in a world with rich irrational people. I didn't think I'd have to explain that again."

Hogan, this is BWW, where you have to explain everything multiple times.

Updated On: 4/12/17 at 10:10 AM

chesneysnow
#206How Much Longer Does IN TRANSIT Have?
Posted: 4/14/17 at 8:18am

Sorry but this is incredibly crass and rude comment about the lead producer and her "worst way to produce a musical". I know this is a forum for trolls who have spent a considerable amount of energy bashing and trashing a lovely positive upbeat show. A show that some people didn't find cliche, but relatable, and funny and uplifting. I know that from the many voices in have heard who have talked honestly and candidly. A few who didn't like it and a considerable majority who really did enjoy it. And yes it had obviously fatal missteps for sure, but I truly would not stand by and letake this forum mischaracterize a truly courageous and hard working woman who made many people's dreams of getting to Broadway come true. It's always interesting and sad to me that while some exert so much energy becoming troll forum celebrities that seek to spread negativity about whatever they don't like and develop pissing contests with who can bring forth a witty comment, that there are those that are out here truly dedicating their lives to the art of theatre and helping others. As I and Janet Rosen has done. To set the record straight she did not get this off the ground with her husband's money. It was her own funds that lifted this show. And she didn't marry a rich man,  they worked their way up to earn their fortunes. Certainly everyone is entitled to their own taste and opinions and ultimately like so many shows it did not break through in an extraordinary season, but it doesn't mean they are stupid for trying everything they can if they have had a dream and purpose. Further,  most 1st time lead producers never even get their show to Broadway let alone have a hit. But the snobbery and insults to this woman and this group of people has simply become absurd and truly disgusting. Just because you didn't like the show. If you don't find the beauty in the risk of the form, or a relatable story, then that's fine it's not for you then don't see it. But why exert so much energy on forums trying to push negativity for others who might actually enjoy something you don't like it. What purpose does it serve. I used to come on these forums and read for years and I simply stopped because of the spirit of what tends to happen in these spaces. I'm out in the real world doing. But I heard that this rhetoric about the show continued and just wanted to speak in defense of the lead Producer who is really mischaracterized here. Really. 

Updated On: 4/14/17 at 08:18 AM

BWAYLeaks
#207How Much Longer Does IN TRANSIT Have?
Posted: 4/14/17 at 9:05am

I actually agree with you, Chesney Snow. (By the way, I saw you in the show - and you were definitely a highlight for me).  

Say what you will about the "coulda shoulda woulda" of this show and the many amateur missteps which were "producing 101" - but if it wasn't for passionate risk takers with the resources to produce and invest (like Janet Rosen), how many shows would never get produced and never see the light of day? At the end of the day, was it a commercial success? No. But, the commitment of the producers too hang in there and the tenacity of this production (whether you like it or not) is something to be respected.

I must admit that the audience that went to see the show I was at genuinely loved the show. I think it was a pleasant surprise for many, who walked in the theater expecting a bomb. 

chesneysnow
#208How Much Longer Does IN TRANSIT Have?
Posted: 4/14/17 at 9:23am

Thank you sincerely. 

green waver
#209How Much Longer Does IN TRANSIT Have?
Posted: 4/14/17 at 9:43am

Oh lighten up, Chesneysnow. I'm sorry you are hurting, I truly am.When you get a little perspective, you'll realize there was no need to attack the entire forum and all the posters. Satire is an integral part of literature-look at Candide!-and making readers of this forum laugh a little is harmless fun. We may be "trolls", but some are witty and knowledgable ones.Hopefully you'll regain your sense of humor soon.

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#210How Much Longer Does IN TRANSIT Have?
Posted: 4/14/17 at 9:51am

YAS, Chesney! You betta DRAG ha !!!

How Much Longer Does IN TRANSIT Have?

chesneysnow
#211How Much Longer Does IN TRANSIT Have?
Posted: 4/14/17 at 9:53am

I understand satire and again... I'm not against expression of opinions and critiques, I love creativity and art, it would be against what I believe to stifle expression. But there are also times where a line is crossed and people begin to become really absurd with insinuating things about a person's character and I don't want that to go without a response. I am ok... and I do not mean to attack the entire forum. That wasn't my intention it's about comments that begin attacking the very character of someone. I honestly don't mind the critiques and even agree with some, but I didn't appreciate some of the things being said about Janet Rosen. Particularlyrics that she just married a rich man, etc etc. That isn't who she is and is frankly unnecessary. 

Updated On: 4/14/17 at 09:53 AM

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#212How Much Longer Does IN TRANSIT Have?
Posted: 4/14/17 at 2:57pm

Get over yourself. Are you going to write a blog like Patti Murin next about how mean we all are? I'm sure Janet Rosen doesn't need you protecting her from a poster on here, most don't even know who she is nor care. This show was horrendously forgettable for me. Awful cliches and horrible humor like pizza rat. People are paying money to see a product and get to judge it anyway they see fit. Keep patting yourself on your back for all your hard work though and how you're out there really doing things. 

Just to clarify this post took me less than a minute to write and I didn't exert any energy into posting it. 

chesneysnow
#213How Much Longer Does IN TRANSIT Have?
Posted: 4/16/17 at 8:26am

Your absolutely right BroadwayJoe... Mrs. ROSEN doesn't need that. I never implied that I was doing something on her behalf. Also no I'm not writing a blog I wrote a reply. Just like you have a right to express your thoughts, i do as well. I'm all over myself to be blunt about it. You hide behind your very unique and creative screen name when you express your "personal comments" meant to belittle other people who put their lives and passions into the work of theatre for those such as yourself to Pat yourself on the back as a critic of sorts, a sort of elite troll who is cultured.... how much work have you put in is all I ask. And if you have used the magic of theatre to inspire someone,  heal someone, share a meaningful story that lifts or educate someone then kudos and respect to you. I  could actually use the phrase "get over yourself" to you, sir. It's totally fine to spout crass comments to us but the moment we reply then we are in need of "getting over ourselves"... ..I'm an actor I have more rejection in a day than many people experience in a year. So I am not in a pity party about our show. We lasted longer on those so called "cliches" than anyone expected, 17 years of development and moving that show forward. And for the record I don't think your mean, I think it's absurd, disgusting, immature, and disrespectful to attack the character of someone you don't know. Critiques of work are altogether different, Just to make myself clear. I appreciate your advice and I have to say thanks, but I'm good. 

Updated On: 4/16/17 at 08:26 AM

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#214How Much Longer Does IN TRANSIT Have?
Posted: 4/16/17 at 5:59pm

Chesneysnow, I agree with everything that you said in your first reply about attacking people by making up random nonsense, and i share your opinion that there is too much of that kind of negativity in life, reflected both on this board and many other places on the internet and even in person.  Having said that, i question your statement/implication that only people who do a certain thing should be considered to have valid opinions about it.  (You asked- what theatre have you made, while the producers and actors are working on telling stories?.)  

To that, i have to ask you - have you ever commented on a product that you don't make yourself, but that you purchased as a consumer, such as stating a preference for various smartphone features over others, or telling friends which meal you like best in a restaurant?  Are only electronics engineers allowed to comment on their smartphone preferences, and only chefs allowed to comment on their food preferences, in order to have their opinions considered valid?  

In response to your question "what have you done?" directed at non-theatre-makers commenting on their preferences as theatre-goers, the obvious answer is "something productive enough to the rest of society to earn a sufficiently steady salary to allow us to go to the theatre regularly".  Like non-engineer smartphone users or non-chef meal-eaters, spending money on theatre as a product is a valid enough basis to express opinions about it.

In any case, I'm glad that i saw your show and i enjoyed it and wish all of the cast, crew, and creative team all the best in your next adventures, whatever those may be.  

chesneysnow
#215How Much Longer Does IN TRANSIT Have?
Posted: 4/17/17 at 6:07am

Hi Adam,  thanks for the beautifully crafted point. Yes I agree with you. I would certainly not suggest that work be it a film, food, or a smartphone can't be criticized. Indeed it should, my point is that one doesn't have to berate the creators or producers as if they are not deserving of respect. I may not like iphones but I can certainly respect the craft and ingenuity it takes to create one. If I comment on something I like or don't like I do not have to insult the the person. Our Internet culture allows for people to say really disparaging things about others when they feel rather anonymous. These words affect people and what I would ask for is a bit of civility, especially in a space that is supposed to be as cultured as theatre. Not crass comments insulting the intelligence or character of the theatre makers. I simply wanted to speak out because I became exhausted and frankly upset with seeing comments publicly attacking people that I happen to love. Commercial theatre is special in so many ways,  it took nearly 20 years of blood, sweat, and tears to get In Transit to Broadway. That alone is a remarkable achievement worthy of respect even if one doesn't like the product. I am obviously close to the production and biased but what I would ask that people criticize the merits of the work not the character or ethics of the creators or producers. Certainly not everyone posted absurdity but comments began to dive so far into what I could only describe as true and visceral hatred for this show and it's creators that was really unwarranted. Certainly one does not have to be theatre makers to critically comment on theatre. But I would ask before one feels entitled to insult the craftsmanship and character of the creators,  what have they given to that craft. Not what have they created, but given; have they mentored,  have they given selflessly to the spirit of the sacred art of theatre not just the rare circus that is Broadway but the heart of theatre where people like Lin Manuel started... the small off off off Broadway theatres that are working to carry the legacy of American theatre forward without much fanfare or support. Sure one could make an argument that purchasing a Broadway ticket is contributing to the American theatre. And that's a fair legit argument, however I could make an argument that Broadway is not the heart of American theatre. So few risks are taken there because of the obvious financial gamble, so it's movie remake after movie remake. But that's another discussion for another time. As many know we ( dancers, actors, writers, musicians)  do this work so often without many of the things that most take for granted like financial stability. So it's sometimes very hard to just accept that after 20 years of working on a particular piece of art that instead of the work being criticized someone attempts to take away that artists or producers dignity and berate their very intelligence, In a passing minute. Then what lives online seemingly forever is not the 20 years of work but the disparaging comment informing others why that work has no merit, so often done in a way that creates an echo chamber. Even I have critiques of In Transit so I can understand being critical of the work. But do it without the vitriol towards its creators because they are truly worthy of respect. Creating an A Cappella musical is not easy... it was not a gimmicks. It was a risk and kudos to them, and though you can't really tell from these boards a lot of people who saw the show really liked it... and I would even say there were quite a few people who actually loved it and found it refreshing.

Perhaps all that is too much to ask for but I think it is worth a try. 

Updated On: 4/17/17 at 06:07 AM

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#216How Much Longer Does IN TRANSIT Have?
Posted: 4/17/17 at 7:28am

Luckily, Broadway is not an oligopoly.  We have no United Airlines, controlling either the money or who acquires the uncomfortable seats (hey, you can still sit in the balcony, without being ejected, for a relatively affordable fee; I just did a thread on it).  Those funding are as many and varied as those needing their sometimes filthy lucre.  David Merrick is dead.  

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

cb2addict2 Profile Photo
cb2addict2
#217How Much Longer Does IN TRANSIT Have?
Posted: 4/17/17 at 12:35pm

Congrats to all on the run! Happy trails

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#218How Much Longer Does IN TRANSIT Have?
Posted: 4/17/17 at 4:05pm

Chesney, we certainly agree that randomly attacking the character of people such as the producers of a show for sticking it out is a bad thing, and is made even worse by making up random lies.  I appreciate that you have added your responses here in this thread to serve as a counter to the obnoxious crap.  Thanks also for your reply.  On the subject of theatre patrons, there are probably plenty of loyal theatre-goers who started out doing high school theatre themselves and who still support local and regional productions in addition to professional/Broadway ones.  Although i don't necessarily agree that all of that is necessary to make sharing one's opinion on a broadway show valid even by itself.  But i get that you didn't say it was invalid, just that having some more direct experience makes one's opinions more informed.  And i do agree with that, but i would say that the same is true for engineers who design similar products vs. the general public who uses them.  Anyone who knows from experience what goes into something is likely to appreciate more all the effort required, and is less likely to voice unrealistic expectations in their reviews/comments.   Anyway, thanks for the conversation.  Cheers.

zainmax
#219How Much Longer Does IN TRANSIT Have?
Posted: 6/8/17 at 10:47pm

I feel like this article in Forbes really sums up a lot of the issues here. I like Filichia's point about the setting turning away tourists.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marchershberg/2017/06/06/why-in-transit-failed-to-move-audiences/#70bc57102003

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#220How Much Longer Does IN TRANSIT Have?
Posted: 6/8/17 at 11:25pm

They developed it for 17 years?!

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#221How Much Longer Does IN TRANSIT Have?
Posted: 6/8/17 at 11:27pm

It was at that point, BroadwayRox3588 pondered to himself "Why was this thread resurrected after all these weeks?"