Amelie at the Ahmanson

gf2020
#25Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/5/16 at 4:01pm

My wife and I saw it last night. 

I'd give it a B+. Phillipa was great in the role, very charming and effortless and sang everything well. The staging/set/props were excellent and the visuals really aid the story and generate comedy. I laughed a lot and left with a smile on my face. There's an Elton John inspired number that was really entertaining.

In terms of negatives, I think the big one for me is that there was never really a breakout, memorable emotional song that hit me hard. There are also some narrative threads that presumably come from the film (haven't seen it) that feel unnecessary or at least didn't track for me (the mystery of who appears in photo booth pictures that Nino found for example) I am kind of meh on Adam-Chanler-Berat in the Nino role, but it seemed like the audience was more into him. 

My wife who has seen a lot more theater than I have found it a bit more disposable than I did, but liked it as well.

AlfieByrne
#26Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/5/16 at 5:14pm

I, too, saw it last night.

I'd like to contrast some of the opinions posted by stating that Phillipa doesn't shine at all. I didn't get to see Samantha Barks so I can't compare. Phillipa Soo sings well and has learned her lines, but her characterization is quite basic. Where's the nuance? (I had a similar complaint with her portrayal as Eliza: she was quite one-note. Had her performance been taken out of Hamilton's hype context, there's no way she should have been nominated.) Amelie is supposed to, IMO, have an ethereal quality that allows her to connect with her surroundings differently from others. Philippa's portrayal (I also fault the director) has too much vigor with an element of a shy, wounded heart. How in the hell is that different from many other female musical theatre roles in the past two decades? Boring. And once you take out an interesting character, you're left to realize that the plot of Amelie isn't exactly exciting either. There's nothing surprising about Philippa's Amelie as the story unfolds. The problem could also be the fact that the musical medium allows Amelie to sing her thoughts, which makes Amelie appear too "normal" to the audience once she starts singing her desires.

I also thought the staging/design was quite tacky. I get that they were going for the whimsical look, but unlike Matilda, it feels incomplete.

The score was unmemorable. Just because it has an unhummable, non-melodious score doesn't make it the next Sondheim or even Adam Guettel show.

I imagine this receiving mixed reviews on Broadway, picking up maybe 5 Tony nods (with 0 wins) with a run that ends Jan 2018.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#27Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/5/16 at 5:17pm

"Ethereal quality" is one of the distinct characteristics I associate with Soo's performances in Great Comet and Hamilton. Etherealness seems to be deeply natural to her presence. So it's strange to hear you say otherwise, AlfieByrne, though I haven't yet seen Amélie.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#28Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/5/16 at 5:40pm

I don't think "ethereal" is the right word choice to describe Amelie. Ethereal infers light and delicate, which the character is not.

"Other worldly" might be a better adjective.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

aaaaaa15
#29Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/5/16 at 5:44pm

BroadwayConcierge said: ""Ethereal quality" is one of the distinct characteristics I associate with Soo's performances in Great Comet and Hamilton. Etherealness seems to be deeply natural to her presence. So it's strange to hear you say otherwise, AlfieByrne, though I haven't yet seen Amélie."

Yep. Nuanced is also one of the first words I would use to describe her as a performer but Alfie doesn't think she is at all. Strange.

AlfieByrne
#30Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/5/16 at 7:00pm

Indeed, other-worldly is a more appropriate adjective in my review. Thank you, QueenAlice.

And regarding my nuance comment, I do think Philippa Soo is a very capable performer who can be appropriate for many roles. Amelie wasn't one of them. The clips I've seen of her as Natasha are wonderful and moving. Her performance in Hamilton was adequate, but nothing more. I'd argue that for a performance to be nuanced (an overused, sometimes incorrectly used term these days in my opinion), there needs to be an element of surprise that enlightens the audience with the character's psychology. With Philippa's Eliza, it was predictable and boring. Showing three different emotions isn't nuanced. Performing with restrained heartbreak isn't necessarily nuanced. Same thing with Amelie. But the problem with this production isn't just the actress...

Updated On: 12/5/16 at 07:00 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#31Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/5/16 at 7:10pm

AlfieByrne said: "Performing with restrained heartbreak isn't necessarily nuanced."

I would beg to differ...

AlfieByrne
#32Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/5/16 at 7:15pm

^ Isn't necessarily nuanced.

theatreguy12
#33Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/5/16 at 7:49pm

While I would not necessarily consider the music "hummable," I thought it was quite interesting, quaint and fit the text of the play quite well. Some musicals I want that "hummability"; others I don't need it. This  story is on the quirky side and has that mystical, almost stream of consciousness quality, and I felt the music blended well with the story. And considering the nature of the story, I was looking less for a hummable tune on this one and more a message or revelation through the lyrics. 

As for the rest of the cast, they were very good,  and each of their performances meshed fluidly with their fellow cast, and the storyline. Their relationships felt real and authentic.

notalwaysontime Profile Photo
notalwaysontime
#34Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/5/16 at 9:34pm

Ever since I saw it in Berkeley, I never got the complaints about the score. First off there were two songs that I couldn't get out of my head after I saw it, (Not that I am of the believe you need a hummable tune to work). The early song when she introduces you to the cafe and other characters, something along the lines of "This is the sound of going round in circles" and also the song about the painting, the Girl with the Glass, which I thought was such a strong and clever number that really reflected the way Amelie saw the world, and lived through others more more than engaging with it and living for herself. And another song I found to be very clever and strong was the one about the old math paradox about how you could never actually truly reach where you're going because there's always half way to go, another song that I thought was very strong in terms of Amelie's character and giving insight to her beyond her outer shell, I felt it was by far a song that gave more depth to the character, and was a huge part in making the ending of the show more emotional, since it called back to it.

Granted I don't know what the show looks like in its current form, and I pray all those songs I mentioned are still there, because clearly, while for some reason many seem to think the score isn't memorable, they stuck with me, even over a year later.

UncleCharlie
#35Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/5/16 at 10:15pm

I too ( or 5 at this point) saw it last night. Pretty simple and straight forward story. Not really much to it really, but the cast made it into a fun and enjoyable show. Soo was fine and she made you want to root for her. Just as an aside, she got a big round of applause when she appeared during the opening number and again when she made her entrance in her first scene. Didn't realize she was that big of a draw but the audience was really into her. Beyond the performances, the creative staging and props is what really makes this show. I would call it whimsical and it was a lot of fun. For a 1st preview, it was pretty damn polished and if they see a need to make changes, I can't imagine they would be very major. Just given the lightweight nature of the story, I really wasn't looking for a tremendous amount of nuance in the performances. I wouldn't call this a star making turn for Soo but she was perfectly fine in the role and delivered a solid performance. And she really has a lovely voice. This is the first time I've seen her perform and I'd like to see how she'd do in a much more complex role like those in The Beauty Queen of Leenane which I saw in the afternoon before Amelie. Not saying she's a fit for either of the female roles in that specifically and I realize they're completely different roles and one is a musical and the other a play, etc. etc., but just having to display her skills in a more complex role, if that makes any sense. Overall, the cast all delivered fine performances and it was a fun evening.

Updated On: 12/5/16 at 10:15 PM

theatreguy12
#36Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/6/16 at 5:58am

And I think the differing interpretations and reviews only serve to prove the beauty of theater.

Two people can walk in and see the same show, and while one might be touched and find it a wonderful experience, the other might find it boring and uninspired.   

For me, Amelie can only be who she is.  I wasn't looking for some profound, or earth-shattering moment from her character, a la Rose's Turn.  In fact, the way the show, well, just is, that would have been almost out of place.  It would have ruined the impact, in my opinion.  For me, the charm came from its simplicity.  

Similarly, I wasn't looking for Soo to be over the top in her portrayal of the quirkiness and other-worldliness of the character.  Soo played it just right for me.  Anything more could have been distracting for me personally.

Now could it have been played differently and be equally effective with another actress?  Sure.  

Soo felt the character in her own way.  The directors, et. al. felt she tapped into the character well, and allowed her to let it flow in the direction she saw fit.  And I was good with it personally.

I watched her facial expressions quite closely. throughout and felt she was quite effective in her portrayal. You felt her internal struggles.  You witnessed her humanity toward others. But it didn't have to be a baseball bat to the face to make it effective.

Now that being said, was her portrayal a star turn?  Maybe it won't be seen that way.   Will she garner a Tony nod?  Who knows?  

At the end of the night though it sure looked like she had a good time up there as she brought her interpretation of the character to life.  And it looked like the others were having a grand time as well as they told their stories.

Will it touch all?  No.  But that's okay too.  

What I do know is I found it a pleasant evening in the theater, watching a character who struggles internally with her own insecurities, but still finds a way to make a difference in the lives of others.  

The simple smiles.  The knowing looks and glances.  The interactions her character has with the others onstage are simple.  Nothing groundbreaking.  But totally effective, in my humble opinion.

aaaaaa15
#37Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/6/16 at 7:23am

AlfieByrne said: "Her performance in Hamilton was adequate, but nothing more. I'd argue that for a performance to be nuanced (an overused, sometimes incorrectly used term these days in my opinion), there needs to be an element of surprise that enlightens the audience with the character's psychology. With Philippa's Eliza, it was predictable and boring. Showing three different emotions isn't nuanced."

I couldn't disagree more. I found Phillipa's Eliza constantly surprising and thought she showed a range of emotions. Her performance was very subtle (as it should be if you're playing Eliza), but she completely emboided her and made material that could be considered bland interesting to watch. Eliza is a difficult role to make engaging and she did it for me. No one knows if she would have been nominated for the Tony without Hamilton hype but if I was on the committee I certainly would have voted for her.

But back to Amelie...

thinton
#38Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/8/16 at 10:52am

I'm not familiar with the Ahmanson.  For this show, would side front mezz be better than side rear orchestra?  I'm worried about the overhang and acoustics but want to sit as close as possible.

tjjster
#39Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/9/16 at 12:47pm

I would choose side front mez. the mez hangs over around row r of the orchestra i believe. I saw the show on tuesday and there is a lot of action that happens at the top of the set. not sure the sightlines from the back of the house but wouldn't want you to miss anything.

I found the show thouroughly delightful. Is it great art? I don't think so, but I left the theater utterly elated, and had a smile on my face throughout most of the show. In regards to Soo, her performance was spot on. The performance I saw had a minor mistake where she fell off of a chair she was standing on, however her reaction was perfectly in character and just shows how deeply invested she is in the role. 

I also don't understand complaints some people have about the score. I thought it was perfectly fitted to the story and agree there are several songs I have not been able to get out of my head.

I feel the show manages to keep the quirkiness of the film intact without it ever feeling cloying.

These are just my random thoughts.

thinton
#40Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/9/16 at 3:49pm

I went with the mezz.  Thanks for your advice!  Glad to hear you enjoyed the show.

PerfidiousRaoul
#41Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/9/16 at 6:58pm

I find it really strange how people have such different opinions about Soo as an actress (admittedly I found her portrayal of Eliza as a bit bland, she sounded a bit sick when I saw her so I'll associate it with that). In saying that, after seeing her sing the Great Comet score I can't help but be excited for any show she's in!

Speaking of, anyone think it's strange she chose Amelie over reprising her role as Natasha? Seems like Natasha is a much meatier and more challenging role.

Updated On: 12/9/16 at 06:58 PM

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#42Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/9/16 at 7:54pm

We don't know if she even had the choice, but if she did, I'm guessing she was wanting to move on to new projects. 

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#43Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/9/16 at 11:05pm

I saw it on the first tuesday. It was boring as hell and long. 2 hours with no intermission. Many old people left towards the last minutes. The music isnt memorable. Loved Phillipa. She did the best with what she had to work with. Love Tony Sheldon as well. FYI if you stage door Phillipa doesnt take pictures. Shes even more goregous up close. Also if you go early, the Ahmanson has a free photo booth. I gave it a 3/5.. but im a basic theatre goer. Add me on instagram I post all my playbills and rate them 1 to 5. Here in LA. Im 20. @joselee_

aaaaaa15
#44Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/10/16 at 1:50am

PerfidiousRaoul said: "Speaking of, anyone think it's strange she chose Amelie over reprising her role as Natasha? Seems like Natasha is a much meatier and more challenging role."

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that she was offered Natasha, although I can't remember where so don't take my word. If it was that she got to choose, I would think it was a combination of moving onto something new, getting to do the pre-run in LA (where her fiance is filming a TV show) and getting to be the sole lead, title character and main attraction of a show, which is a great opportunity for a 26-year-old musical theatre actress. As for differing opinions on her as an actress, I think it's down to her being subtle rather than showy, which people are probably more used to when seeing musicals. I almost always prefer subtle acting, unless it's a role that calls for it to be otherwise.

fengshuihellnyc
#45Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/10/16 at 3:08am

Hey all.  Seeing this at the end of December.  So couple of questions.  

Were they selling any merchandise at the show?  I'm specifically wondering about posters/windowcard.  But what else did they have?

and where is the stage door at this theatre.  I'd like to get my playbill signed.  

Thanks 

cant wait to see the show.  

WestCoast331
#46Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/10/16 at 3:41am

Saw it tonight and enjoyed myself a good bit while also left feeling a little underwhelmed. Amelie is one of my favorite films, and I think the show captures some small moments of the film extremely well while missing the emotional heft of others. The direction is very clever, and the cast as a whole is excellent. Soo is, as always, in great voice here. She wasn't as magnetic and intriguing as expected at first but seemed to settle into the role more and more as the show went on.  

The biggest issue, though, is the score. It's certainly very modern (ala Fun Home, If/Then, etc), and all kind of... runs together? There are a few really wonderful numbers though, and like I said before, the direction REALLY elevates the material a good bit. 

4 of us saw it together-- 3 of us having all watched the movie recently, 1 having never seen it. The 3 of us picked up on a lot of the more subtle jokes and plot points, the other admitted to being pretty confused as to what the actual plot was. I think going in having seen the movie before will improve your experience a good bit.

All in all, a fun night out in LA. I just fear it'll get lost in the shuffle in NYC. 

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#47Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/10/16 at 5:00pm

Phillipa Soo was delightful and charming and was pure joy to watch. The entire cast was uniformly excellent with Adam Chandler-Berat and Tony Sheldon as standouts.  

I applaud Center Theater Group for taking this on - and to give us here in LA the chance to see an original musical pre-broadway however the show needs some serious work.  I'll raise my hand and say that I never saw the film but had a overlying sense of the plot.  I do think Pam and the producers need to take a step back and look at adding one or two killer showstoppers - specifically for Phillipa - we need more of Amelie.

Other substantial things that need to be tightened  - the opening scene - I actually didn't pick up the part about the magic box which apparently is alluded to in that opening scene - also, the ending needs to be tightened  - it was frustrating watching almost 20 minutes of Amelie running away from Nino.  Is there a way to smooth this out? 

The sub plots (looking at you Suzanne and Amelie's Dad) don't get all sorted which is perfectly fine but the ending specific to Amelie running away from Nino needs to get right and get tight.

The music did a great job moving along the plot - but nothing stands out as a memorable song - specifically compared to something like Waitress or even Fun Home.

Fully enjoyed the fact that there was no intermission

Also, I think the show needs a coup du theatre that reflects the whimsy of the show - it needs one big thing.

I wish it well, I do, I wish this show well - it just needs work, work...looking for a mind at work.

cordaay
#48Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/10/16 at 6:05pm

I saw the show two nights ago, and really enjoyed it. It was quirky and peculiar, but whimsical and cheerful. Like others have said, the music did all mesh as one in my brain after the show, and I completely agree with what WestCoast331 said about the score being a la Fun Home. There are many elements to be smoothed out before it goes to Broadway, but I really enjoyed a lot of what they already had. The set is wonderful with everything slightly set at an angle, forcing you to look at things differently just like Amelie does, and the use of projections was phenomenal. I felt that Phillipa did a great job capturing the spirit of Amelie in the movie, especially when she'd turn to the audience with a sly, knowing grin, as the movie character Amelie does. I sat in the back corner of the orchestra (fourth row from the back, all the way on the side) and had a perfect view.

I've never seen the Ahmanson stagedoor so crowded as it was the night I went, but it was very well organized, with everyone lined up down the block. I ran into Steven Pasquale, which was a pleasant surprise (I've heard he's rather elusive but he was nothing but kind!), and Rebel Wilson also came out of the stagedoor. Pippa was incredibly gracious with everyone, taking time to chat and engage with them while signing. She was refreshingly down to earth. I'm told that if you go on a night with very few people at the stagedoor she does take pictures.

Someone asked about the merchandise. From what I remember, they have blue shirts with the logo and Amelie (not Pippa) on them, a pink Gnome shirt (not sure why they're trying to push for the gnomes so much, since it's a very small sub-plot), magnets, and possibly posters? I got a free poster, but it was so flimsy that I'm unconvinced it was something they sold. 

VanillaIceCream2
#49Amelie at the Ahmanson
Posted: 12/11/16 at 10:35am

It seems useless to me to harp on an actress's performance as not nuanced enough during the first week of previews. From all I've heard from actors in previews, it's an incredibly stressful time where they have to remember myriad changes while also figuring out their characters. It seems perfectly reasonable that Phillipa would still be figuring out all her acting choices when she hasn't played the role in front of an audience since the workshop.