pixeltracker

Gyllenhaal and Ashford to headline SUNDAY at The Hudson- Page 2

Gyllenhaal and Ashford to headline SUNDAY at The Hudson

MannPhan24601
#25Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 12:19pm

Wasn't Gyllenhaal supposed to do "Burn This" at the Hudson in the spring and got postponed due to "scheduling conflicts"? 

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#26Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 12:20pm

Does anyone have any idea what the seating will look like? Is the balcony really far back?

barbraboy19902
#27Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 12:20pm

Is it likely that the others who took part in the concert staging will do this as well? Carmen, Gabby, Phylicia etc...

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#28Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 12:21pm

Yes, but we can presume that the scheduling conflicts are for later this spring, hence the short limited engagement run of this show instead  for the winter.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#29Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 12:23pm

Just saw this. Freaking out!!!!!

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#30Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 12:23pm

We're getting a Broadway revival of SUNDAY and off-Broadway revivals of SWEENEY TODD and PACIFIC OVERTURES all at the same time!? 2017 is a good time to be a Sondheim fan.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#31Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 12:26pm

First reaction: HOLY SCHAMOLY. This is one of the best spring seasons in a long time!

Second reaction re: BroadwayGuy12...yes, Sondheim fans rejoice...and how fortunate I am to be performing Sondheim in my own show four days before this begins!

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

Cfried
#32Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 12:28pm

I've been hyperventilating for 30 minutes. 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#33Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 12:28pm

I bet Rashad will do it. Perhaps not Cusack as she is Los Angeles based. But its a short commitment so maybe?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#34Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 12:30pm

I knew there had to be a reason why the assembled such a major design team, now let's hope we get a full set and costumes.

If Rashad is available, she's pretty much a given.

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#35Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 12:30pm

I'm guessing Row C isn't that bad, when right behind it, it's premium. Should I go for row c and be super close, which is great if the stage isn't too high, or go further back in the theater?

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#36Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 12:31pm

For such a short run, I predict we'll be seeing a lot of the City Center ensemble names. I'm still hesitating on tickets. I despised Sarna's direction, but if it's going to be a real, staged, legit production... hmmm...

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#37Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 12:31pm

The New York Times has more details. It will be a fully 'realized' staging.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/13/theater/jake-gyllenhaal-broadway-sunday-in-the-park-with-george.html?_r=1

Cfried
#38Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 12:37pm

Just got front row center balcony tix and I'm SCREAMING. But wow, this show is EXPENSIVE. 

BroadwayConcierge
#39Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 12:39pm

Anybody know why there's a full week of no performances in March?

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#40Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 12:41pm

It's weird you put "realized" in quotes because that's nowhere in the article you linked. It sounds like the poster who commented earlier has it right: 

According to the Times article, it says it will be staged more, with lines being memorized and more sets/costumes. Might not be much, but definitely more.

Jesus saves. I spend.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#41Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 12:45pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Anybody know why there's a full week of no performances in March?"

Is there an upcoming film he has to do press for?

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#42Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 12:46pm

I put it in quotes because the article, as you say, indicates it will have more elements of a fully staged production but doesn't outright say it will be as fully staged as other productions on Broadway have been. My guess is that it will still be somewhat minimalist. But some of the reviews liked that aspect of the reading so...we'll see

Updated On: 12/13/16 at 12:46 PM

#43Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 12:50pm

Aren't the Oscars in March?  Maybe Jake will be nominated for that Tom Ford movie

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#44Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 12:53pm

Fully "realized" and "more fully developed" mean pretty different things. 

Your use of quotation marks is bizarre and confusing in this instance. 

Jesus saves. I spend.

BroadwayConcierge
#45Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 12:54pm

Damn. Probably won't end up springing for this then. I would go in a heartbeat if they promised a real, huge production (and if Ms. Lapine wasn't on the creative team), but they sound pretty exacting in their language to suggest it won't be that much bigger than what was at City Center. I love this show deep in my soul, but I don't think this production is gonna cut it for me to drop the couple hundred they're asking for. Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#46Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 12:57pm

Just got tickets.  FYI - far easier on Hudson Theater site than telecharge.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#47Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 12:59pm

Ms. Lapine actually received good reviews from the major critics. It should not be a surprise that she's reprising her role as the director. 

This show has never required a "huge production." Let's give them a chance and see what they could do with better costumes and sets. The performances are always the main draw when seeing Sunday, and the two leads are excellent.

neonlightsxo
#48Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 1:06pm

MannPhan24601 said: "Wasn't Gyllenhaal supposed to do "Burn This" at the Hudson in the spring and got postponed due to "scheduling conflicts"? "

10 weeks of a role he already did requires much less work & time than Burn This would have.

Updated On: 12/13/16 at 01:06 PM

StageDoor3 Profile Photo
StageDoor3
#49Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 1:16pm

Exciting news! Jumping on this thread in the hopes that Sunday extends just more week so I can see it on my spring trip to New York.  

Also curious why row C is $159 as someone else asked about the height of the stage.   Quick note - there are two Facebook pages for the Hudson - one official and one fan based.  Looks like the fan based side mentioned this production coming back in a post in September (although that post could have been recently updated).  

Updated On: 12/13/16 at 01:16 PM