pixeltracker

Gyllenhaal and Ashford to headline SUNDAY at The Hudson- Page 5

Gyllenhaal and Ashford to headline SUNDAY at The Hudson

binau Profile Photo
binau
#100Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 7:43pm

Where is After Eight to celebrate this exciting news with us? 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#101Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 7:46pm

GreasedLightning said: "I've never seen this show in any capacity. 

Are there any disadvantages to sitting on the side sections? They seem to be slightly cheaper. 
"

Well, the first act (and to an extent the second) builds towards a very specific stage picture. I can see how, depending on how that stage picture is realized in this production, it might make a better impression in the center sections than the side. But this is merely (educated) conjecture.

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#102Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 7:57pm

Dang, I ran as fast as I could to my computer and then I find out it's not playing during the week we're there, and it's too late to change our trip plans. I am bummed!!

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#103Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 7:59pm

I sometimes get frustrated when my post is on the cusp, and doesn't appear immediately. So let me tell a story.

I was a bit of a late bloomer, and didn't hook up with a guy until I was in my late twenties. When I did, it was with this cute young guy who I immediately fell for at the time, but who leaves a minimal impression on my memory at this point. Anyhow, after we got together the first time, I sent him an email quoting Sondheim:

I chose and my world was shaken.
So what?
The choice may have been mistaken,
The choosing was not.

He was unimpressed. I can't say the choice was mistaken - he was hot and what I needed at that time in my life. But ultimately he didn't shake my world!

Updated On: 12/13/16 at 07:59 PM

Cesare2
#104Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 8:25pm

I sat in the Hudson Theater balcony a few years ago for a CSC benefit concert staged by John Doyle.  I had a first row side seat.  There really was no leg room.  Even sitting on your side was impossible.  (I don't think first row center had that problem.)  I had to move back to a seat in the center section. (BTW, part of the center section then was also being used for lighting equipment.)  The seats also had cupholders, which made the seats feel narrower.  The view, though, was fine.

I'm guessing the balcony was not  used much for conferences  and would hope the new seating is much more comfortable.  It looks like they've reduced the number of seats..

But it was also quite a hike to get to the balcony.  IIRC, it was one very long steep  flight of stairs. 

After Eight
#105Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 9:32pm

As the saying goes, a bad penny always turns up.

True, but who would have thought this one would turn up again so soon? After all, wasn't the thing foisted upon us for yet the zillion and twenty-third time just a few weeks ago? Couldn't we expect even the slightest respite from its wretched presence?

No, we couldn't. How could we have ever thought we could?

Haven't we learned by now that enough is never enough? Just when these things are stuffed down our throats to the point of gagging, they just double down and stuff it down some more.

When will we learn that there is no reprieve, no surcease, no respite, no escape?

No escape. 

Ever.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#106Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 9:43pm

After Eight said: "After all, wasn't the thing foisted upon us for yet the zillion and twenty-third time just a few weeks ago?"

Nope. If you choose not to buy a ticket, then no harm whatsoever has come to you.

littlemouse921 Profile Photo
littlemouse921
#107Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 9:52pm

After Eight said: "As the saying goes, a bad penny always turns up.

True, but who would have thought this one would turn up again so soon? After all, wasn't the thing foisted upon us for yet the zillion and twenty-third time just a few weeks ago? Couldn't we expect even the slightest respite from its wretched presence?

No, we couldn't. How could we have ever thought we could?

Haven't we learned by now that enough is never enough? Just when these things are stuffed down our throats to the point of gagging, they just double down and stuff it down some more.

When will we learn that there is no reprieve, no surcease, no respite, no escape?

No escape. 

Ever.

"

I really enjoyed that emphasis on the last two lines. Really made the whole thing more dramatic.

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#108Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 10:13pm

Let's hope that when the time comes, the Harry Potter ticket buying process is this convenient, yeah? 

AntV
#109Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 10:33pm

Can you buy tickets for this at the Lyric to save on fees?

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#110Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 10:38pm

kade.ivy said: "Let's hope that when the time comes, the Harry Potter ticket buying process is this convenient, yeah? 

"

One can only hope, but highly doubt it. There will be lots more traffic on the site when those go on sale.

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#111Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 10:45pm

Can't people just not quote After Eight? Many of us have him on ignore for a reason. He is nothing more than a troll looking for reactions. He finally admitted that he thinks shows should have no more substance than cotton candy.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

Rumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
#112Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 10:45pm

kdogg36 said: " . . . Anyhow, after we got together the first time, I sent him an email quoting Sondheim:

I chose and my world was shaken.
So what?
The choice may have been mistaken,
The choosing was not.

He was unimpressed. 
. . . "

If you had sent that to me, we'd be long-married with two kids and a schnauzer.

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#113Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 10:49pm

ljay889 said: "I called them and they answered immediately. My ticket is confirmed, even though I didn't receive an email yet."

I had the same issue, a confirmation number popped up when I made the purchase, but I still have not received an email confirmation or etickets about 9 hours later.  I guess I will call tomorrow like you did, ljay.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#114Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 10:51pm

JPeterman said: "ljay889 said: "I called them and they answered immediately. My ticket is confirmed, even though I didn't receive an email yet."

I had the same issue, a confirmation number popped up when I made the purchase, but I still have not received an email confirmation or etickets about 9 hours later.  I guess I will call tomorrow like you did, ljay.
"

I still haven't received it either! I don't feel as bad now. Definitely give them a call, especially if you did etickets. The nice representative answered immediately and quickly confirmed my will call order. 

Updated On: 12/13/16 at 10:51 PM

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#115Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 10:53pm

I also had Will Call, but still received an email.

Cfried
#116Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 10:54pm

I'm nervous to find out just how "developed" this production is. Either way, I'm very much looking forward to seeing it...but it'd be a dream to see a full scale revival.

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#117Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 11:32pm

A lot of the press releases said that it will not be a concert version and the material will be memorized. So I hope they forgo the tiny platform and having  actors who are not in the scene sitting on the side lines. Seems Jake might have a chance for a Tony nomination.

PS How do we know that After Eight is a male?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#118Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 11:41pm

After Eight is one of the funniest posters on this forum. I will never ever forget his comment re: fun home that children should be singing about tea, jam and bread. I was laughing out loud at his comment re:  Sunday earlier on in this thread. His skillful melodrama is far more entertaining than the bizarre trolls that can't string a sentence together and post topic after topic. 

Meanwhile, he has probably bought a premium ticket to the first performance of Sunday. I can't wait to read his report. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#119Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/13/16 at 11:46pm

Remember when we all thought he passed away during his recent absence? He is going to have a conniption this spring when Sunday, Sweeney, and pacific Overtures are all playing simultaneously. 

Updated On: 12/13/16 at 11:46 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#120Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/14/16 at 12:25am

Two things i'm hoping for: Jake is styled with a better distinction between both Georges and I hope they use the full orchestra from the concert, which included two additional players from the original orchestrations, I believe. 

Updated On: 12/14/16 at 12:25 AM

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#121Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/14/16 at 2:30am

qolbinau said: "After Eight is one of the funniest posters on this forum. I will never ever forget his comment re: fun home that children should be singing about tea, jam and bread. I was laughing out loud at his comment re:  Sunday earlier on in this thread. His skillful melodrama is far more entertaining than the bizarre trolls that can't string a sentence together and post topic after topic. 

Meanwhile, he has probably bought a premium ticket to the first performance of Sunday. I can't wait to read his report. 
"

I absolutely agree, qolbinau!  I think some people misunderstand his intentions.  After Eight is a clever and gifted satirist and I would sorely miss his contributions to the board if he stopped posting due to death or via any other less dramatic exit.

rebeccmam31
#122Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/14/16 at 8:16am

luvcaroline said: "Dang, I ran as fast as I could to my computer and then I find out it's not playing during the week we're there, and it's too late to change our trip plans. I am bummed!!"

Same story for us--we are going the weekend of the 17th.  I'm in mourning right now. Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#123Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/14/16 at 8:23am

Whenever After Eight refers to "we," I picture that he's like that dude in Total Recall with the mutant growing out of his stomach. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#124Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
Posted: 12/14/16 at 9:10am

Scarywarhol said: "Whenever After Eight refers to "we," I picture that he's like that dude in Total Recall with the mutant growing out of his stomach."

I laughed disproportionately hard at this.