pixeltracker

Trump Will Eliminate The National Endowment For The Arts- Page 2

Trump Will Eliminate The National Endowment For The Arts

JennH
#25Trump Will Eliminate The National Endowment For The Arts
Posted: 1/19/17 at 1:34pm

HogansHero said: "I of course would love to see much more arts funding by the federal government and despise the idea of it being reduced for any reason, it is important to put it in context: the federal contribution to NFP arts programs is about 1.2% of the total revenue they receive. Compared to some other ideas being bandied about, this is survivable even though on an individual basis it will be devastating to some. But not getting a grant in the first place devastates arts organizations every year under even the most generous fed budgets.

"

While you strike a good point, will the arts in general survive if this were to happen?? Art on a whole has never been all that valued in the good' ol U.S. of A because our population for many reasons, some explainable some not, has tended to view them as unnecessary/frivolous/an extracurricular activity rather than the backbone of any society that they really are. They're treated like careers or even silly hobbies, that aren't as important as careers/hobbies in math, science, IT, etc are, especially now. I'm glad there's been an upsurge in interest in the arts recently, but just because interest is there, doesn't mean the money is, and I'm not even talking about the NEA or any federal level spending on them with that, I'm talking about how it's still almost like pulling teeth to get someone to spend money on an "art" of some kind rather than spending the same amount of money they would normally spend on something that practically has no benefit to society or just humanity in general. ART IS THE EYE INTO THE SOUL OF HUMANITY AND THINGS UNSEEN. I'm not saying other fields aren't important, we need ALL fields and occupations for society to thrive, not just survive, but art is what helps the thriving. There's a reason why controlling regimes of any kind target the arts first. Because they educate, they emulate humanity in some way, they connect the dots to real life. 

There's also a reason why shows have never been able to be fully funded by ticket sales. Because America has never valued art in any form as they should. That's partially why why the NEA was created. It's why theatre companies/shows have donors and investors. People still are wary of spending their money on a show ticket, but will spend the same amount on a sporting event. 

And since it IS such a small amount in comparison to everything else in the budget, think about this...why do they feel the need to call it wasteful spending and attempt to dismantle it, hmmm? THINK...this absolutely targeting the arts, because it won't stop with just the NEA, PBS, and the Humanities. Here's to the next four VERY bumpy years y'all. Then again, we were gonna come to our demise no matter who we elected, it was just a matter of who we'd come to it faster under...My only hope is we get info the fastest we've ever gotten in in human history and therefore because of that we can stop **** before it even starts.

cmorrow
#26Trump Will Eliminate The National Endowment For The Arts
Posted: 1/19/17 at 2:22pm

I work at the Performing Arts Library. NEA grants have helped us tape B'way and Off-B'way shows for the Theatre on Film and Tape Archive. They're not our sole source of support, but an important one.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#27Trump Will Eliminate The National Endowment For The Arts
Posted: 1/19/17 at 2:52pm

The entire yearly budget of the NEA is lower than the cost of the inauguration festivities.

If Trump and co. move to eliminate the NEA, it will not be out of any "fiscal responsibility." It will be because they revile culture and intellectualism.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#28Trump Will Eliminate The National Endowment For The Arts
Posted: 1/19/17 at 3:35pm

AC126748 said: "The entire yearly budget of the NEA is lower than the cost of the inauguration festivities.

If Trump and co. move to eliminate the NEA, it will not be out of any "fiscal responsibility." It will be because they revile culture and intellectualism.
"

DING DING DING

Also, this article in the Washington Post does a good job of explaining, briefly, who will likely be the most hurt by the elimination of the NEA (should that indeed come to pass): https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2017/01/19/targeting-the-arts-is-the-laziest-stupidest-way-to-pretend-to-cut-the-budget/?utm_term=.3408bb771b56

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#29Trump Will Eliminate The National Endowment For The Arts
Posted: 1/19/17 at 4:52pm

@JennH, nothing to disagree with there. My point is simply that, if the worst happens, we have to look beyond that and notice that the arts can and will survive, though not without limping through the next (hopefully no more than) 4 years.

And slightly apropos of that, @cmorrow, do you have the current grant amount available (ideally in relation to the totals)?

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#30Trump Will Eliminate The National Endowment For The Arts
Posted: 1/19/17 at 4:55pm

it has been established that trump is the worst so this should come as a surprise to no one 

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Pootie2
#31Trump Will Eliminate The National Endowment For The Arts
Posted: 1/19/17 at 5:21pm

2018, people. 2018.

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#32Trump Will Eliminate The National Endowment For The Arts
Posted: 1/19/17 at 5:37pm

This warrants another cabaret revival 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

A Director
#33Trump Will Eliminate The National Endowment For The Arts
Posted: 1/19/17 at 6:12pm

No, we don't need another Cabaret revival.  We need artists to speak out about the importance of the Arts and the financial impact they have on communities.  We need works!

As for what the NEA funds, here is a link to Grants made in 2016.

https://www.arts.gov/sites/default/files/fall-2016-grant-announcement-all-categories-revised3.pdf

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#34Trump Will Eliminate The National Endowment For The Arts
Posted: 1/19/17 at 11:48pm

The NEA isn't the subject in the title that needs elimination.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#35Trump Will Eliminate The National Endowment For The Arts
Posted: 1/20/17 at 10:28am

If you're saying what I think you're saying, I agree fully. Preferably before noon.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#36Trump Will Eliminate The National Endowment For The Arts
Posted: 1/20/17 at 11:22am

We need artists to speak out about the importance of the Arts and the financial impact they have on communities.

They'll just get called "elitists" and be told that as artists, they should know their place and never speak about politics publicly.

As for Public Broadcasting, I seriously doubt the issue is about money at all.  It sounds more like Captain Creamsicle already has something (or someone) lined up to own PBS and NPR and remove any trace of potential left-leaning voices.  

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#37Trump Will Eliminate The National Endowment For The Arts
Posted: 1/20/17 at 1:12pm

Kdogg, if that or any other thing of that nature ever happened to Trump or his cabinet, a second Civil War would likely break out. And one side has all the ideals, and the other side has all the weapons.

The only thing preventing that would be if EVERY conservative got reverse-raptured to Supply Side Jesus in a single moment, leaving the meek to inherit, if not the earth, at least the nation.

JennH
#38Trump Will Eliminate The National Endowment For The Arts
Posted: 1/20/17 at 1:38pm

Mister Matt said: 
As for Public Broadcasting, I seriously doubt the issue is about money at all.  It sounds more like Captain Creamsicle already has something (or someone) lined up to own PBS and NPR and remove any trace of potential left-leaning voices.  

"

I don't disagree with this, but privatization of any entity such as PBS, should absolutely be stopped no matter which "side: would privatize it. I'm sick to death of bias on both sides. There HAS been too much extreme left leaning news outlets these past few years (EXTREME left, not just...left) but I have no wish to hear extreme right either. I don't want bias or leaning, I just wants facts. That's it. And truthful facts don't know politics. Truth is truth. I would be calling out the privatization of PBS or any public sources like it no matter if it was the left OR right trying to do so. It doesn't matter WHO. It's one of the very few unbiased sources left. We need to protect them at all costs from any bias whatsoever. 

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#39Trump Will Eliminate The National Endowment For The Arts
Posted: 1/20/17 at 2:47pm

darquegk said: "Kdogg, if that or any other thing of that nature ever happened to Trump or his cabinet, a second Civil War would likely break out. And one side has all the ideals, and the other side has all the weapons."

Of course I realize that the use of force at this point in history would only have grave consequences for the ideals of freedom and justice. Doesn't stop a person from daydreaming.

cmorrow
#40Trump Will Eliminate The National Endowment For The Arts
Posted: 1/20/17 at 4:12pm

HogansHero said: And slightly apropos of that, @cmorrow, do you have the current grant amount available (ideally in relation to the totals)?"

Sorry for the delayed response, but no, I don't have exact figures. I do know that NEA money available to the library has already dwindled compared to what it was when I started working here, in the 1980s.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#41Trump Will Eliminate The National Endowment For The Arts
Posted: 1/21/17 at 2:34am

https://twitter.com/molliekatzen/status/822501744298950656

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

JennH
#42Trump Will Eliminate The National Endowment For The Arts
Posted: 1/21/17 at 10:35am

Call_me_jorge said: "https://twitter.com/molliekatzen/status/822501744298950656

"

It was deleted...what was it? 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#43Trump Will Eliminate The National Endowment For The Arts
Posted: 1/21/17 at 10:56am

The very first thing the Orange Ass signed yesterday was a law making it harder for middle/lower income people to own a home. Don't believe for a second he cares about anyone or anything other than himself. 

saxpower
#44Trump Will Eliminate The National Endowment For The Arts
Posted: 1/21/17 at 12:57pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Terribly sorry to ask a question perhaps as basic as this, but what does the Endowment do directly for Broadway? I'm not as unequivocal in my support of President-elect Trump as some on here would like to believe, and I'm interested in learning what the implications of such a cut would be for Broadway...

"

I am a member of a community concert band here in Delaware.   In addition to dues paid by members and income from concerts at parks, etc (each concert is usually less than $500), we get a small (less than $1,000) grant from the Delaware Division of the Arts, which apparently receives money from the NEA to give out to local organizations.   In our current situation would it kill us if there are no more grants?  Probably not.  But since some of the concert income we get ALSO comes from arts grants (ie a town gets a grant for weekly concerts in the park), it could certainly have ripple effects.   Yes, we would likely survive,  but it would have an effect (for example, buying less newly composed music). 

Sorry if that went too fall off topic. 

BIG BALONEY Profile Photo
BIG BALONEY
#45Trump Will Eliminate The National Endowment For The Arts
Posted: 1/21/17 at 3:10pm

Perhaps if the media and those in the arts were nice to King Donald then he would be more forgiving.

astromiami
#46Trump Will Eliminate The National Endowment For The Arts
Posted: 1/21/17 at 5:53pm

There seems to be a lack of understanding about the role of the NEA. It gives out relatively small grants but vets its recipients strongly. This means that getting a NEA grant signals to other funders (without the infrastructure for such in depth vetting). While losing NEA funding may not break an organization, it is going to have an impact on other funding.

astromiami
#47Trump Will Eliminate The National Endowment For The Arts
Posted: 1/21/17 at 5:55pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Terribly sorry to ask a question perhaps as basic as this, but what does the Endowment do directly for Broadway? I'm not as unequivocal in my support of President-elect Trump as some on here would like to believe, and I'm interested in learning what the implications of such a cut would be for Broadway..."

How will it impact Broadway? Do you really think that any performer lives exclusively off of Broadway earnings? Do you really think they emerged onto Broadway without gaining experience elsewhere?