pixeltracker

Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances- Page 4

Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances

#75Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/19/17 at 7:09pm

definitely don't buy 2nd row upstairs tickets. Best case scenario it's partial view but if the person in front of you leans forward, and many if not most do, partial view doesn't begin to describe it. It's really bad. They should either not sell them at all or specifically ask the front row to not lean forward. That being said, Jeremy Secomb is fantastic as Sweeney Todd. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#76Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/19/17 at 10:48pm

So annoyed! Wanted to go this week, and now the show is sold-out through April basically. 

bfreak
#77Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/20/17 at 3:22pm

I saw the show last night and thought it was marvelous!! Every single thing about this production simply worked. The ENTIRE company had such rich voices and their acting was amazing, especially Jeremy Secomb and Siobham McCarthy. The way the entire thing is staged truly has you involved in the action, and it was probably the most intimate performance I've ever been to at this point. I sat at the front center row D seat 2, so I probably had one of the better viewing experiences. The only problem is the constant necessity of having to turn your head which could be bothersome at times, but for a production this good it's worth it! I hope the British actors in the show eventually come back and do more shows in New York.

smidge
#78Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/20/17 at 3:30pm

Have to agree with break. The staging of this production is able to bring out the right balance of humor and terror. I bet the actors are having a wonderful time. Would love to revisit with friends

kcguy
#79Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/20/17 at 3:37pm

Could someone who has seen the show tell me what the second row of counter seats are like on the floor? Sightline issues? Are you sitting on a bench or a stool?

smidge
#80Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/20/17 at 4:03pm

kcguy, I never even noticed what they were sitting on, but it appeared to me the counter seats gave the best overall view of the production. No need to keep turning around. The actors really utilize the entire space

bfreak
#81Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/20/17 at 5:26pm

I agree here, as you did not have to turn your head at all and would only miss like one or two minor things at best on the top level. But the regular tables really succeed to be RIGHT up in their faces and have them almost direct the show entirely at you so it's a win on both ends!

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#82Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/20/17 at 5:49pm

For the long row tables, do they have individual seats or is it one long bench? I ask because I bought one of those $85 partial-view seats that opened last week. I'm guessing I'll be turning my head a lot.

bfreak
#83Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/20/17 at 5:55pm

They are a long bench, but most of them are not partial view. Yours must have to do with that particular location, but most of the long table seats are completely full view!

petewk87
#84Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/20/17 at 6:05pm

Regarding the $85 'restricted view' table seats, here's a response I got from the theatre:

"These seating locations are toward the outside of the "table section", and positioned looking away from the center of the room - so they require a bit more twisting throughout the show than normal to look inward toward the room. All of the seats in the shop require some amount of this, due to the unique nature of the environment, but these locations may require it a tad more." 

The restricted view seats can't be that bad as they are surrounded by full-price seats.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#85Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/20/17 at 7:05pm

Thanks! Ok yeah I think I'll be fine then. Need to get some back twist stretches before the show! Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances

Do the long benches have backrest too or just a bench? Do the counter seats have a backrest?

I'm seeing this show in mid-March and can't wait!

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#86Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/20/17 at 7:06pm

They should have went with chairs instead of benches. If you go for the pre-show pie and mash, combined with the show's 2:45 min run time, you're looking at spending upwards of 4 hours in those seats. Can't be very comfortable.

Superboy2
#87Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/21/17 at 1:20pm

If anybody is looking for table seats plus pies for this Friday's performance, I have two tickets I'm looking to sell - send me a PM.

lightguy06222
#88Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/21/17 at 1:32pm

I sat in the first row upstairs.  Not partial view at all.  I think i leaned out over the rail twice.  Overall it was a perfect seat.

The lighting was mediocre.  The lighting positions were cleverly hidden in the scenic design, but I wanted to see more of their faces when they were walking on the tables.

The show is IN YOUR FACE immersion if you're sitting in the main seating areas.  They're all over the audience, and they very much interact with you.

I thought some of the direction was weird.  They're clearly replicating a west end direction, where there only WAS one entrance to the space up center, and basically everyone goes in and out of that same entrance...... It was tight to manipulate, and made the staging incredibly stagnant.... Well this is a recreated pie shop.  And the front door does NOT lead out to the street, but to the backstage of the theatre.  So I think you should feel free to use this, and every entrance to the space imaginable.

Mrs Lovett and sweeney were incredible actors.  but norm and carolee are going to kill both the acting and the vocals.  But I really got a kick out of them.

matt doyle was the standout for me.

betsy morgan was a great beggar woman.  She was fine as pirelli.  clearly a girl dressed a man. I didn't get it.  but she was fine.

worth checking out.  the meat pie was delicious

HSky
#89Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/21/17 at 2:43pm

kcguy said: "Could someone who has seen the show tell me what the second row of counter seats are like on the floor? Sightline issues? Are you sitting on a bench or a stool?"

I was third row house right (no countertop in front) and they're long benches with an upper back but there were times I wished I hadn't used the coat check so I could wedge my coat behind me for some support. (Being in the last row, there was a wall directly behind separating the seating from the handicapped ramp. That wouldn't work the same for other rows.)

I believe all three rows on that side were long benches, but the second row on the house left side had tall high backed chairs in a similar style pushed together. Here's the view from my seat, you can see the countertop for the second row.

Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances

No sightline issues where something was completely obscured but since I'm on the short side, it wasn't always a completely clear view if someone was seated on a stool by the head of a table, but being close to center (you can see the nice little gap between those seated up front and that's a main staging area) also helped.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#90Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/21/17 at 5:22pm

Thanks for all the info and comments! I decided to upgrade my partial view seats, and the Ovation people were very nice. My original $69.50 seats were refunded and I purchased one handicapped seat and one companion seat. I guess they accommodated me because my seats were not marked partial view when purchased. It's a lot of money, but I think it will be a unique experience, and I'm treating myself for my birthday!

I bought the upstairs seats originally because I didn't want to be in the thick of the action, thinking it might be too intense for me.

Updated On: 2/21/17 at 05:22 PM

HSky
#91Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/21/17 at 6:00pm

macnyc said: "I bought the upstairs seats originally because I didn't want to be in the thick of the action, thinking it might be too intense for me."

For anyone with similar thoughts who still want to sit downstairs, most of the back counter rows and the outer tables, especially the extreme sides, would be your best bets if you don't want to incur Sweeney's wrath. Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances

BarnabyTucker Profile Photo
BarnabyTucker
#92Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/21/17 at 6:01pm

Superboy2 said: "If anybody is looking for table seats plus pies for this Friday's performance, I have two tickets I'm looking to sell - send me a PM.

"

Superboy2 - I sent you another PM. I was able to find another person, and can take the pair. 

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#93Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/22/17 at 12:17pm

sondmon said: "I remember reading an article saying that it is not miked. not sure where it is now.

"

Matt Doyle tweeted that this was his first production hot having to wear mike tape. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#94Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/22/17 at 5:44pm

So I THOUGHT I bought a ticket for April, but never received a confirmation email? Is that normal for Barrow Street?

Leah Robertson
#95Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/22/17 at 8:26pm

RippedMan said: "So I THOUGHT I bought a ticket for April, but never received a confirmation email? Is that normal for Barrow Street?

"I received an email at the time of purchase and also got an email a couple of days ago offering a refund on my second row balcony seats.

josh147
#96Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/22/17 at 10:00pm

I didn't get a confirmation for my ticket either, but I went on the OvationTix site, logged in with my email address and the order was there. Might want to check that?

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#97Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/22/17 at 10:44pm

Leah Robertson said: "RippedMan said: "So I THOUGHT I bought a ticket for April, but never received a confirmation email? Is that normal for Barrow Street?

"I received an email at the time of purchase and also got an email a couple of days ago offering a refund on my second row balcony seats.

"

Apologies if this was covered, but did you contact them first? I saw it tonight from second row upstairs (NOT marked partial view at time of purchase) and it was basically unwatchable. I saw a sliver of the action. 

Which is frankly ridiculous, given that the space has been rejiggered specifically around the production. All around, they seemed more interested in recreating the shop where this production was originally staged (which is not really a period setting or relevant to the material other than, like, the general concept of pie) than taking advantage of this opportunity. 

From what I could tell, the people downstairs were having fun. It sounded mostly very good. I liked the cast, again, from what I could tell.

They need to stop selling these seats for about ninety dollars immediately. Make this a rush for the truly desperate or something. The row would actually work much better as standing room, and I did sneak a few stands throughout. The second row might be borderline acceptable as a seating section if the first row did not lean into the counter, but they want to see the show too. They can't be expected not to. 

Updated On: 2/22/17 at 10:44 PM

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#98Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/23/17 at 12:12am

For those who have sat on second row of mezzanine, is there a height difference between the first and second row of mezz or are both rows on the same level (meaning people in the 2nd row would literally have to stand up to see what's going on below.)

squeakers1957
#99Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/23/17 at 9:54am

I also have those second row mezzanine seats and there was no indication of partial view when I bought them.  A few people mention they received an email offering a refund or upgrade since the seats are now partial view.  I haven't received this email but my tickets aren't until April so maybe they're working through them by date. Has anyone here who has tickets for April or later received an email notifying them the seats are partial view and offering a refund?