COME FROM AWAY Previews

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#200COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/10/17 at 7:11pm

I just listened to the cast album and I didn't care for it.  I'll be seeing the show in a couple of weeks, and maybe I'll like it more then, but it sounds pretty corny on recording.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#201COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/10/17 at 7:12pm

macnyc said: "The cast album is on iTunes now in case anyone wants to relive the show!

Also on Spotify!

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#202COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/10/17 at 7:25pm

i didn't like the music that much either, before seeing the show. I had seen a YouTube video of the opening number, and didn't care for it. But seeing the show, and experiencing how well the score is interwoven with the action, changed my mind.

Ragged Tear
#203COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/10/17 at 8:37pm

icecreambenjamin said: "I just listened to the cast album and I didn't care for it.  I'll be seeing the show in a couple of weeks, and maybe I'll like it more then, but it sounds pretty corny on recording."

When I saw the show last month (just before the album was even announced), the score was far more enjoyable than I had expected, and I thought I might enjoy the CD, but I absolutely love the recording. I can't stop listening to it, over and over. I hope seeing the show helps you appreciate the recording as, literally, a record of the show.

SeattleTraveler
#204COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/10/17 at 8:39pm

sabrelady said: "I was reading in an article  that Bev Bass gave Jen the actual flight jacket & wings she wore on that day. Not sure if Jen is wearing that jacket ( tho that was the intent) cos of sizing et all but  they probably r using the wings. Nice that an actual piece of the day is actually on stage"

Jenn wore it in the final performance in Seattle. It has a red liner. I wouldn't be surprised if it's too hard on it to wear it day in and day out. Maybe for opening night? I actually wondered if it's now in Gander. Thought I might have seen it in a display case in the background of some footage somewhere.

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#205COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/10/17 at 8:46pm

The album also hit Apple Music today, too. Looking forward to hearing it this weekend.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#206COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/10/17 at 9:09pm

It is also on google Play. It is listed as explicit.

Just give the world Love.

cam5y
#207COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/10/17 at 9:24pm

Probably because of "STFD." 

HSky
#208COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/10/17 at 9:32pm

The F word is also used when Kevin 2 yells at the lady on the plane. 

ghostlight2
#209COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/10/17 at 9:33pm

"Jenn wore [Beverly Bass' jacket] in the final performance in Seattle. It has a red liner. I wouldn't be surprised if it's too hard on it to wear it day in and day out. Maybe for opening night?"

You are probably correct. Costumes are usually "built" and quite frequently there are two sets for matinee days. Some parts of costumes are bought,  but even they are often adapted, either to reinforce them, add sweat pads, add elastic vents to improve flexibility, velcro for ease of fastening them, etc. Easier to make them. I wouldn't think Colello would wear it opening night. It's too risky. You stick with the costumes and props you've been working with. Closing night? Sure, why not?

"[ Come From Away's OBR ] is listed as explicit.

Well, Oz drops an "F" bomb, and others do as well, I guess. I never really noticed. I remembered Oz's because it's funny.

Updated On: 3/10/17 at 09:33 PM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#210COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/10/17 at 11:15pm

Beverly Bass was in the audience tonight as well as a lot of Newfies who waved little flags during curtain call. The Newfies also raided the merch booth buying up lots of stuff. They were all so sweet. 

This show I believe will be a hit because it is a perfect antidote to the troubling times we are in. It may not be the most sophisticated but it's timing is very right. I loved it and the audience did too. It celebrates what is good about people. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

binau Profile Photo
binau
#211COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/11/17 at 12:17am

icecreambenjamin said: "I just listened to the cast album and I didn't care for it.  I'll be seeing the show in a couple of weeks, and maybe I'll like it more then, but it sounds pretty corny on recording.

"

I agree I can't say I'm falling for it the way I did hearing some other recordings recently (e.g., Bright Star). Can anyone recommend any particularly favourite/stand out tracks?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

DebraR
#212COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/11/17 at 12:48am

My daughter downloaded Dear Evan Hansen the moment is was available in Itunes.  We love it and I would highly recommend that one. 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#213COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/11/17 at 1:00am

qolbinau said: "icecreambenjamin said: "I just listened to the cast album and I didn't care for it.  I'll be seeing the show in a couple of weeks, and maybe I'll like it more then, but it sounds pretty corny on recording."

I agree I can't say I'm falling for it the way I did hearing some other recordings recently (e.g., Bright Star). Can anyone recommend any particularly favourite/stand out tracks?
"

If the first song didn't hook you, I don't know if I can be of any help. The exit music/jam session is pretty great, though.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

HSky
#214COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/11/17 at 1:12am

I'm personally fond of the "Me and the Sky", "Stop the World," "38 Planes (reprise)/Somewhere in the Middle of Nowhere" sequence. I've been repeating those the most from the NPR stream and suspect going forward, my iTunes number of plays will bear that out.

There's also something about how well the feelings of feeling adrift or lost are captured in "Costume Party" and "Something's Missing" that gets to me.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#215COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/11/17 at 4:10am

Ok thanks, I'll take another look. Sometimes it takes a couple of listens I think to get hooked in. I remember listening to next to normal the first time and thinking 'meh'. It has since become one of my favourite shows. The same could be said about Passion, Pacific Overtures etc.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

HSky
#216COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/11/17 at 9:58am

It might also be a show (like The Great Comet was for me until I saw it at ART) that benefits from seeing it staged because part of the show's magic is how the cast of 12 captures so many characters. Also, it's nonstop on stage including the underscoring under dialogue with the way things segue, so despite the fact it isn't, maybe think of it as closer to a sung through piece when listening. A few of the songs ("Me and the Sky" and "Stop the World" are two I can think of) have slight changes to give them defined endings for the recording rather than transitions.

Hairspray0901
#217COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/11/17 at 10:09am

I've been listening to the cast album all week. Bought it on iTunes yesterday morning. I love all the songs but standouts for me are "Me and the Sky", "Wherever We Are", "Somewhere In The Middle of No Where", "In The Bar / Heave Away" and "Screech In". 

Updated On: 3/11/17 at 10:09 AM

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#218COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/11/17 at 10:18am

HSky said: "It might also be a show (like The Great Comet was for me until I saw it at ART) that benefits from seeing it staged because part of the show's magic is how the cast of 12 captures so many characters. Also, it's nonstop on stage including the underscoring under dialogue with the way things segue, so despite the fact it isn't, maybe think of it as closer to a sung through piece when listening. A few of the songs ("Me and the Sky" and "Stop the World" are two I can think of) have slight changes to give them defined endings for the recording rather than transitions.

I couldn't agree more. The combination of the music and the staging creates an extremely visceral experience. The effect is greatly diminished when you separate the two.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#219COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/11/17 at 10:24am

That's something that's truly remarkable about this show. Spoke with Sharon Wheatley at the stage door after I saw the show on Feb. 26. She said in the beginning it was very confusing constantly switching roles and took some time getting used to. She said everyone plays at least 12 different characters throughout the show. It's remarkable how a simple costume alteration & a change of accent flows so seamlessly.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#220COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/11/17 at 10:27am

I've been listening to this a bit since it came out on NPR and now digitally and I that having seen the show makes a big difference. I saw it two weeks ago and can enjoy and appreciate the cast recording much more knowing what the plot points, transitions, and character changes are. A few songs standalone but most really benefit from being able to picture the action on stage. 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

HSky
#221COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/11/17 at 11:17am

I can't even fathom how much more complicated this show must be for the understudies because doing one track alone has so many changes and there are only 2 males and females listed at the moment. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#222COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/11/17 at 11:31am

completely agree about the understudies. There's only four of them & each of them covers 5 different "tracks". I have no clue how they're able to learn each track with each one having so many various roles & accents.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

SeattleTraveler
#223COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/11/17 at 11:39am

Not only roles and accents, but each movement of a chair or prop is unique for each character so that the object will be ready at some future point, sometimes for a different actor's use. It all happens in a way that appears effortless, but there are so many moving parts they each have to keep track of, it's crazy. 

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#224COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/11/17 at 12:04pm

I have no idea what show I saw, but I guess I'm in the minority - I disliked it.  A lot.

An incredibly monotonous score, weak performances, clueless direction, no dramatic tension at all.  I'm all for original musicals, but this one was rough.  Jenn does sound fantastic during her solo - but the song is trite and unmemorable.  

Nothing about the show resonated with me emotionally either - none of the stories or characters were developed enough for me to care about any of them.  The audience (which was clearly highly papered) ate it up.  I, on the other other hand, couldn't wait to get out of the theater.

Videos