AMÉLIE Previews

Clyde15
#50AMÉLIE Previews
Posted: 3/11/17 at 2:34am

Willie4316 said: "From what I gather based on these reviews, it sounds like this could be the Tuck Everlasting for this season. A decent show with mixed reviews and not pulling enough grosses to maintain a run of more than 3 months. I really do hope that I'll be proven wrong though, the 1-2 songs I've heard so far have certainly caught my attention and we'll have to see how well their grosses are. 

"

When I checked earlier this week, the first three weeks of the run were completely sold out so I don't know if it will go the same path as Tuck Everlasting. It will be interesting to see it's grosses are on Monday if the tickets were discounted or sold full price 

Willie4316
#51AMÉLIE Previews
Posted: 3/11/17 at 2:45am

Clyde15 said: "Willie4316 said: "From what I gather based on these reviews, it sounds like this could be the Tuck Everlasting for this season. A decent show with mixed reviews and not pulling enough grosses to maintain a run of more than 3 months. I really do hope that I'll be proven wrong though, the 1-2 songs I've heard so far have certainly caught my attention and we'll have to see how well their grosses are. "

When I checked earlier this week, the first three weeks of the run were completely sold out so I don't know if it will go the same path as Tuck Everlasting. It will be interesting to see it's grosses are on Monday if the tickets were discounted or sold full price 
"

I hope it can maintain those kind of sales after opening. With strong word of mouth or rave reviews, this actually could survive a healthy run.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#52AMÉLIE Previews
Posted: 3/11/17 at 4:09am

It's not true that the show was/is completely sold out. It went up on tdf for performances next week. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#53AMÉLIE Previews
Posted: 3/11/17 at 7:43am

Fantod said: "Nice to see that very little has changed since the awful Berkeley run. I think that the authors of this show just read the Wikipedia plot synopsis of the movie and decided to make a musical based on that, without any understanding as to why the movie worked in the first place.

Calling the Berkeley run awful is a bit bizarre. It got rave reviews there in both the SF Chronicle and the LA Times, and the run was either completely sold out or close to it. 

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#54AMÉLIE Previews
Posted: 3/11/17 at 8:24am

RaisedOnMusicals said: "Fantod said: "Nice to see that very little has changed since the awful Berkeley run. I think that the authors of this show just read the Wikipedia plot synopsis of the movie and decided to make a musical based on that, without any understanding as to why the movie worked in the first place.

Calling the Berkeley run awful is a bit bizarre. It got rave reviews there in both the SF Chronicle and the LA Times, and the run was either completely sold out or close to it. 

I haven't seen Amelie, so I have no opinion on it, but a sold out run out of town is no indication of quality or future success on Broadway.  Wonderland sold out out of town, too  

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#55AMÉLIE Previews
Posted: 3/11/17 at 9:52am

RaisedOnMusicals said: "I'm really struck by the contrast between Whizzer's review and that of Queen Alice, both well written and completely different in opinion. Maybe a predictor of mixed reviews by the professional critics? Not the first nor the last. 

"

I always love reading Whizzer's reviews, but we don't always share the same tastes. I think he tends to be more of a traditionalist while I tend to be drawn more to things that are abstract.

i thought Amélie was a lot more effective than Tuck Everlasting: it's definitely better directed.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

RaisedOnMusicals
#56AMÉLIE Previews
Posted: 3/11/17 at 10:14am

adamgreer said: "RaisedOnMusicals said: "Fantod said: "Nice to see that very little has changed since the awful Berkeley run. I think that the authors of this show just read the Wikipedia plot synopsis of the movie and decided to make a musical based on that, without any understanding as to why the movie worked in the first place.

W

I haven't seen Amelie, so I have no opinion on it, but a sold out run out of town is no indication of quality or future success on Broadway.  Wonderland sold out out of town, too  

I never suggested that it did. All I said was fact, which was that it got two major raves in Berkeley and it was sold out, so that calling the run "awful" was incongruous. If the poster thought the show was awful at Berkeley I'd have no problem with that opinion, but describing its run there as awful doesn't square with the facts. 

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#57AMÉLIE Previews
Posted: 3/11/17 at 1:01pm

To me, La La Land has a "very French sound," being immersed in the sounds and rhythms and stylings of Michel Legrand, who (along with Boublil and Schonberg and the Belgian Jacques Brel) defines the French musical theatre sound.

notalwaysontime Profile Photo
notalwaysontime
#58AMÉLIE Previews
Posted: 3/12/17 at 6:22am

It will forever make me sad that this score doesn't resonate with many people. I adored the hell out of it when I saw the show in Berkeley, so much so that I had to go back and see it again. And I know, for many, nothing about it stands out, but that honestly throws me, because there were a lot of bits that stuck with me, from many different songs in the show.  (So much so that it drives me crazy that our programs didn't have son lists in them, so I don't even know the proper names to them), but I also recognize that I'm someone who all too often loves things most others don't. The least popular band members in boy bands when I was younger, the forgotten/less focused on characters in tv shows, etc. Thus is the story of my life, but I really did think this score was going to be more loved than it seems to be.

RaisedOnMusicals
#59AMÉLIE Previews
Posted: 3/12/17 at 9:12am

Indeed, there has been quite a bit of negativity here about the score, but it has also been received positively by critics such as this excerpt from the LA Times review: 

"The music, which is nearly continuous, provides a magic carpet of orchestral strings upon which the production floats at will. Musical director, conductor and keyboardist Kimberly Grigsby draws out a sumptuous sound from her orchestra. And every time Soo opens her mouth to sing, the stars in Paris' night sky shine brighter.

The songs by Messé and Tysen encompass a wide variety of moods and styles. “Goodbye, Amélie,” an Elton John parody/homage performed by Randy Blair in souped-up Crocodile Rockish garb, is the jaunty showstopper. “Thin Air,” a dreamy ballad for Nino (a dashingly nerdy Adam Chanler-Berat), harmoniously escalates the romantic chase between this solitary artist and the fey young woman who keeps leaving clues for him to follow."

I have not seen the show as yet but do have tickets to see it in a few weeks and I'm looking forward to it.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#60AMÉLIE Previews
Posted: 3/12/17 at 9:39am

Many will likely respond more favorably to the score once the cast recording comes out as the music is up for repeated listenings. That is generally true for all shows.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

wendy72
#61AMÉLIE Previews
Posted: 3/12/17 at 2:15pm

I wanted to weigh in on this show which I actually saw twice this weekend (long story). For the most part I loved it. It was beautiful and fun, and unlike other posters here I thought the music was SO beautiful. It definitely doesn't feel French at all but, even though I love the movie, that didn't bother me. Also someone mentioned Nathan Tyson's lyrics being poor but I actually thought they were quite clever and poetic. 

I thought the cast was uniformly excellent and I especially loved how diverse it was. Phillipa Soo was adorable and has a really terrific voice. The show reminded me in some ways of Waitress but I prefer Amelie because it is more quirky and weird and interesting. I can see why some people didn't care for it (I actually liked it much better on the second viewing) because it's a little arts-and-craftsy and not a whole lot happens plot-wise. But I found it incredibly charming. 

Not sure what changes have been made from out of town. The review someone posted talked about a song "thin air" which wasn't in this version at all. And the article interviewing the writers about the new ending. I really loved this ending. I didn't love the beginning song - I wish the show just started with the Doctor song. 

I do feel toward the end of the show it's a little slow and halting. I was eager for 

(SPOILERS AHEAD)

the two of them to get together. The carousel number was cute but slow, and the song about the dead husband slowed the momentum. I did love the number with the three women in the cafe as well as the Elton john song and the gnome song. And the one by the door with Amelie and Nino. I also agree with other posters that Amelie should have a big powerful solo number near the end, probably when she's upset after leaving the cafe?

(END SPOILERS)

I may go back and see this again because I'm curious what changes they'll make in previews. And it's the kind of show I'd bring family visiting from out of town to. It's not a mega hit or anything, and obviously it's not for everyone considering some of the feedback here, but I found it really charming. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#62AMÉLIE Previews
Posted: 3/12/17 at 2:30pm

I hope they'll add an eleven o'clock number of some sort before the show gets frozen. Its lack of one is the complaint I keep hearing from everybody who's seen it so far. I'm so hoping it turns out well!

brian1973
#63AMÉLIE Previews
Posted: 3/12/17 at 4:52pm

Nothing so boring as an actor talking about their 'process'. Spare us.

neonlightsxo said: "I was hoping the NYT article about Phillipa would reveal more about her personality and her process. It's not really a profile, more like a summary of the jobs she's had, with a casual mention of her fiancé. Really strange.

"

notalwaysontime Profile Photo
notalwaysontime
#64AMÉLIE Previews
Posted: 3/14/17 at 8:37am

wendy72 said: "Not sure what changes have been made from out of town. The review someone posted talked about a song "thin air" which wasn't in this version at all. And the article interviewing the writers about the new ending. I really loved this ending. I didn't love the beginning song - I wish the show just started with the Doctor song."

They got rid of Nino's song!? Oh that makes me so sad. That was the Highlight of Adam's performance for me. I had front row seats the second time I saw the show, and watching him singing from that close up was so amazing, he was so fantastic. AMÉLIE Previews I guess I can at least be thankful I got to experience it for myself. (Though it's a bummer that means I won't get a recording of it. Was looking forward to that.)

Laurapattifan Profile Photo
Laurapattifan
#65AMÉLIE Previews
Posted: 3/16/17 at 5:00pm

Does anyone know if the lottery has a discount code if you lose? 

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#66AMÉLIE Previews
Posted: 3/16/17 at 5:02pm

Laurapattifan said: "Does anyone know if the lottery has a discount code if you lose? 

"

They sent one when I lost the lotto. $89 seats in the rear sides of the orchestra.

ameleigh
#67AMÉLIE Previews
Posted: 3/16/17 at 5:07pm

It does. Two days in a row, it gave a discount code. Yesterday, the seat was $83 and today it was $57.

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#68AMÉLIE Previews
Posted: 3/16/17 at 7:32pm

Question about seating -- Is the stage high for this production (and) is Row A or B front row for this production?

VanillaIceCream2
#69AMÉLIE Previews
Posted: 3/17/17 at 9:57am

Does anyone have an update on rush? How early have people been getting to the theater? Thanks! 

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#70AMÉLIE Previews
Posted: 3/17/17 at 5:09pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "I hope they'll add an eleven o'clock number of some sort before the show gets frozen. Its lack of one is the complaint I keep hearing from everybody who's seen it so far. I'm so hoping it turns out well!

"

The haircut song is kind of doing the job. Beautiful as the rest of the score is, this is only song that sticks with me after the show. I don't think a traditional grand eleven o'clock number is fit for the aesthetic of Amelie or the quirky charm the creative team is going for.

ameleigh
#71AMÉLIE Previews
Posted: 3/17/17 at 5:59pm

VanillaIceCream2 said: "Does anyone have an update on rush? How early have people been getting to the theater? Thanks! 

I tried to rush on Monday. By 10:15 they were sold out. 

"

Sho-Tunes-R-Us Profile Photo
Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#72AMÉLIE Previews
Posted: 3/17/17 at 6:00pm

RaisedonMusicals: Calling the Berkeley run awful is a bit bizarre. It got rave reviews there in both the SF Chronicle and the LA Times, and the run was either completely sold out or close to it.

I agree with you whole-heartedly.  The reviews here in the bay area were very positive and I attended a performance at the Berkeley Rep and concur with the critics and audiences alike..  A light and airy concoction, beautifully staged and acted.  I'll be attending again on my annual theatre trip to NYC this June.

Updated On: 3/17/17 at 06:00 PM

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#73AMÉLIE Previews
Posted: 3/17/17 at 10:17pm

Agreed. Nothing "strange" about that story. It's ABOUT her career and how incredible it is that a woman so young has been part of the development of three strong female roles that are on Broadway at the same time.

brian1973 said: " 

Nothing so boring as an actor talking about their 'process'. Spare us.

neonlightsxo said: "I was hoping the NYT article about Phillipa would reveal more about her personality and her process. It's not really a profile, more like a summary of the jobs she's had, with a casual mention of her fiancé. Really strange.

"

ameleigh
#74AMÉLIE Previews
Posted: 3/18/17 at 12:10am

notalwaysontime said: "wendy72 said: "Not sure what changes have been made from out of town. The review someone posted talked about a song "thin air" which wasn't in this version at all. And the article interviewing the writers about the new ending. I really loved this ending. I didn't love the beginning song - I wish the show just started with the Doctor song."

They got rid of Nino's song!? Oh that makes me so sad. That was the Highlight of Adam's performance for me. I had front row seats the second time I saw the show, and watching him singing from that close up was so amazing, he was so fantastic. AMÉLIE Previews I guess I can at least be thankful I got to experience it for myself. (Though it's a bummer that means I won't get a recording of it. Was looking forward to that.)

"

I was at the show tonight for the 4th time. They have made several changes. One of them, and the most notable was that they added "Thin Air" into the show. It was the first time I got to hear it and it was fantastic!!