COME FROM AWAY Reviews

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#25COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/12/17 at 9:29pm

Ha, no sweat Greased, it's something I learned about recently myself!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#26COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/12/17 at 10:07pm

Chicago Tribune is Positive:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/theater/sc-come-from-away-broadway-review-ent-0313-20170312-column.html

Deadline is a Rave:

http://deadline.com/2017/03/broadway-review-come-from-away-1202041704/

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Ragged Tear
#27COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/12/17 at 10:08pm

Happy to see Brantley made it a Critic's Pick:

NYT

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#28COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/12/17 at 10:15pm

WOW!! That's a Rave from the NY Times!!

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
Updated On: 3/12/17 at 10:15 PM

Hairspray0901
#29COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/12/17 at 10:19pm

So happy for all involved! Positive reviews from all but 1?! Sounds good to me! Can't wait to see this again in May. Hope ticket sales pick up and they have a long run.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#30COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/12/17 at 10:22pm

These reviews are good enough to make it a contender for Best Musical. Yes, I know Dear Evan Hansen is the favorite to win the Tony but watch out for the underdog...

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#31COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/12/17 at 10:28pm

It actually now looks like we have a three-way race for Best Musical between Come From AwayDear Evan Hansen, and Natasha, Pierre, & the Great Comet of 1812.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#32COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/12/17 at 10:31pm

I feel dear Evan Hansen did wrong to open in the fall. Like that Dear Evan Hansen "issue" thread showed us, there was more time to nitpick dear Evan Hansen, while there is less time between now and the Tony's for people to nitpick CFA.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#33COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/12/17 at 10:36pm

Probably a great many of the Tony voters actually saw Dear Evan Hansen last year at second stage. A lot probably saw Natasha Pierre years ago in its earlier incarnations as well. Neither show feels like this year's discovery, and that is one slight advantage that Come From Away may have, particularly as it suddenly feels so timely since the election.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”
Updated On: 3/12/17 at 10:36 PM

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#34COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/12/17 at 10:36pm

So pleased for the creative, the performers and the producers. 

Lard tunderin' , long may your big jib draw!

( audiences that is) yes

ghostlight2
#35COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/12/17 at 10:49pm

From Jesse Green in Vulture:

"... If that sounds cynical, perhaps New Yorkers may be permitted a bit of side-eye about a work that borrows our local tragedy as background for 100 minutes of Canadian civic boosterism."

"Really?!"

I'm with you, uncageg.

No, Mr Green, we may NOT  be permitted "side-eye". 9/11 did not and does not belong to us. What snobbery. I lost a lot of respect for Jesse Green for this review. The people of Gander went above and beyond in the week following the tragedy. They asked for nothing in return.

At a time when the world is being pulled apart, Green's comments reek of the worst kind of nationalism. Like the show or don't like the show, Green was way out of line.

Updated On: 3/13/17 at 10:49 PM

RyanInVancouver Profile Photo
RyanInVancouver
#36COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/12/17 at 10:52pm

I'm Canadian. Sorry.

But seriously -- if what you got out of the show is that somehow Canadians think it's our duty to tell this "American" story (which by the way, it's not - there were people of all nationalities and citizenships on those flights) - then you missed the whole idea of the show. 

I also don't understand the idea that the show somehow is some sort of travel/tourism promotion for Canada -- maybe it's because I live here, but that's not the feel I got from it at all. Besides, the current US president is doing better tourism business for Canada than anything Come from Away can do.

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#37COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/12/17 at 10:53pm

I've been saying it forever, but Dear Evan Hansen has the momentum. The story is relevant to today. Yes i guess Come From Away too, but Dear Evan Hansen is just different. 

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#38COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/12/17 at 10:55pm

I wonder if Jesse Greene voted for Trump?

( just sayin"....)

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#39COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/12/17 at 10:57pm

I too lost a lot of respect for him after this review. I already can't stand Musto on Theater Talk. Not sure I will be looking forward to Greene now. And the last two times he was on he seemed a bit less serious, for lack of a better term.

Just give the world Love.

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#40COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/12/17 at 10:59pm

Call_me_jorge said: "I feel dear Evan Hansen did wrong to open in the fall. Like that Dear Evan Hansen "issue" thread showed us, there was more time to nitpick dear Evan Hansen, while there is less time between now and the Tony's for people to nitpick CFA.

"

Eh.  They said the same about Hamilton and Hamilton opened in August.  With that said, Hamilton never really had much competition.  I don't think anyone could have picked another show for best musical with a straight face.  

Not to be confused with Dave19.
Updated On: 3/12/17 at 10:59 PM

Clyde15
#41COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/12/17 at 10:59pm

I am THRILLED for the cast, crew, and creators of Come From Away! This show is incredible and deserve a long healthy life. These reviews are great for it and I'm hopeful ticket sales will pick up with the strong reviews and even stronger word of mouth! I think the real race is now between CFA and Dear Evan Hansen!

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#42COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/12/17 at 11:01pm

What about The Great Comet?

Clyde15
#43COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/12/17 at 11:05pm

I personally think The Great Comet will win many technical awards but I don't think it is the superior musical between Dear Evan Hansen or Come From Away. Personally I am not a fan of the music. This is just my own opinion though, who knows what Tony voters will think. I don't doubt it will be nominated for Best Musical. I just don't think it will win. It does that it has lost a lot of steam over the last few months as Dear Evan Hansen exploded onto the scene 

Updated On: 3/12/17 at 11:05 PM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#44COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/12/17 at 11:16pm

I have yet to see the show (although this slate of reviews is certainly encouraging) but I'm surprised to see the vitriol over Jesse Green's comment. Disagree with him if you like, but I would be truly surprised if he's the only person to feel that way. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#45COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/12/17 at 11:16pm

I cannot believe we're going to have to deal with the crazy Dear Evan Hansen fanatics for the next 3.5 months. Other wonderful, game-changing, RELEVANT musicals exist. The most popular kid in school doesn't always win. Come From Away and The Great Comet will be putting up one hell of a fight during Tonys, whether you like it or not.

froote
#46COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/12/17 at 11:17pm

If La La Land can lose the Oscar then DEH can lose the Tony. All 3 are contenders.

BroadwayConcierge
#47COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/12/17 at 11:17pm

VotePeron said: "I cannot believe we're going to have to deal with the crazy Dear Evan Hansen fanatics for the next 3.5 months. Other wonderful, game-changing, RELEVANT musicals exist. The most popular kid in school doesn't always win. Come From Away and The Great Comet will be putting up one hell of a fight during Tonys, whether you like it or not."

^This.

Though I wasn't the biggest fan of Come From Away (I'm still solidly in the Great Comet "camp," if that's how we're doing this), I'm so happy for the show in getting a tremendous reception tonight!

Updated On: 3/12/17 at 11:17 PM

RyanInVancouver Profile Photo
RyanInVancouver
#48COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/12/17 at 11:22pm

Also, isn't there still Amelie and Groundhog Day? And Charlie (Which I saw in London and hated, but possibly has been changed?)

It's a great year for new musicals - how exciting!

BroadwayConcierge
#49COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/12/17 at 11:23pm

RyanInVancouver said: "Also, isn't there still Amelie and Groundhog Day? And Charlie (Which I saw in London and hated, but possibly has been changed?)

It's a great year for new musicals - how exciting!
"

And Anastasia and War Paint! Indeed, very exciting COME FROM AWAY Reviews