Tonys Weekend Dilemma!

Johnsylva
#1Tonys Weekend Dilemma!
Posted: 3/23/17 at 2:39pm

Hi there Broadway-goers!

I'll be visiting NYC for Tonys weekend in an attempt to catch three shows that'll represent a nice cross-section of this year's prospective Tony nominees -- as an LA to NY transplant this past year, I've been in a constant state of agony about missing the bulk of this year's season!

I already have tickets for WAR PAINT the evening of Saturday 6/10 (not gonna miss that one!).  I also already have tickets to HELLO DOLLY! and DEAR EVAN HANSEN in September, and saw SUNSET BOULEVARD in February, which is why they're absent here. So I'm looking to book TWO of the below shows to fill my Saturday and Sunday matinee slots with two "can't-miss" experiences...and also a fun, well-rounded Tonys weekend!

Which two, based on your own viewing or the buzz around them, are THE shows should I make it a date to go see!?

Many thanks in advance for your help with this truly trying Broadway dilemma.

Mournfully in LA,

- J

--

OPTIONS FOR TONYS WEEKEND:

AMELIE
ANASTASIA
BANDSTAND
CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY
COME FROM AWAY
A DOLL'S HOUSE PART 2
THE GLASS MENAGERIE
GROUNDHOG DAY
INDECENT
THE LITTLE FOXES
MISS SAIGON
NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812
OSLO
THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG
PRESENT LAUGHTER
THE PRICE
SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION
SIGNIFICANT OTHER
SWEAT

Updated On: 3/23/17 at 02:39 PM

neonlightsxo
#2Tonys Weekend Dilemma!
Posted: 3/23/17 at 2:41pm

Anastasia and Great Comet.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#3Tonys Weekend Dilemma!
Posted: 3/23/17 at 2:45pm

Anastasia and Miss Saigon.

Johnsylva
#4Tonys Weekend Dilemma!
Posted: 3/23/17 at 2:46pm

I'm definitely leaning toward GREAT COMET as part of the package! How about ANASTASIA -- is it shaping up to be as strong as it everything has suggested!?

jbird5
#5Tonys Weekend Dilemma!
Posted: 3/23/17 at 2:47pm

Great Comet for musicals.

Oslo for straight plays.

neonlightsxo
#6Tonys Weekend Dilemma!
Posted: 3/23/17 at 2:53pm

I've seen the show already and I liked it, which is why I suggested it.

@z5
#7Tonys Weekend Dilemma!
Posted: 3/23/17 at 2:58pm

Come from away. 

MyLife
#8Tonys Weekend Dilemma!
Posted: 3/23/17 at 3:47pm

Another vote for Come From Away.

It's my favorite show of the season so far, and I think it'll be a contender for Best Musical.

Hairspray0901
#9Tonys Weekend Dilemma!
Posted: 3/23/17 at 4:04pm

Another for Come From Away. A must see. I'm convinced it will beat DEH for best musical. 

Updated On: 3/23/17 at 04:04 PM

MyFavoriteBrunette Profile Photo
MyFavoriteBrunette
#10Tonys Weekend Dilemma!
Posted: 3/23/17 at 4:11pm

Come From Away was my stand-out as I read your list.  Go!

Cfried
#11Tonys Weekend Dilemma!
Posted: 3/23/17 at 4:14pm

Another vote for Anastasia and Great Comet.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#12Tonys Weekend Dilemma!
Posted: 3/23/17 at 4:16pm

Only 2?

Comet

Come From Away

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Johnsylva
#14Tonys Weekend Dilemma!
Posted: 3/23/17 at 6:28pm

Thank you so much everyone for all the feedback! Do you think I need to be concerned about missing THE GLASS MENAGERIE? As a lifelong fanatic of Tennessee, Joe, and Sally, I hate the thought of missing it -- but c'est la vie...

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#15Tonys Weekend Dilemma!
Posted: 3/23/17 at 6:39pm

Another vote for Come From Away. I would suggest Significant Other or Sweat if you want to see a play. You won't be missing much by skipping Glass Menagerie if you've seen it previously.

@z5
#16Tonys Weekend Dilemma!
Posted: 3/23/17 at 6:46pm

Glass Menagerie is amazing. Very well done and u like any other play, the way it's staged and done. Excellent cast as well. I recommend sitting as close as possible also. 

sparkledust
#17Tonys Weekend Dilemma!
Posted: 3/23/17 at 7:51pm

Oslo is phenomenal.

And come from away.

Damiensta
#18Tonys Weekend Dilemma!
Posted: 3/23/17 at 9:22pm

Come from Away by a mile 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#19Tonys Weekend Dilemma!
Posted: 3/23/17 at 9:25pm

Do. Not. Miss. Great. Comet.

Also, unpopular opinion here, but I wasn't a big fan of Come From Away. I'd probably also go for Anastasia.

Updated On: 3/23/17 at 09:25 PM

deloverly
#20Tonys Weekend Dilemma!
Posted: 3/23/17 at 9:48pm

Sweat is a really powerful piece of theater that will stay with you for a long time...

Emmaloucbway
#22Tonys Weekend Dilemma!
Posted: 3/24/17 at 12:14am

Great Comet and Come From Away!

itsshowtime2
#23Tonys Weekend Dilemma!
Posted: 3/24/17 at 3:57am

I would recommend Come From Away and the Great Comet.  Also, heard good things about Bandstand and Groundhog Day but haven't seen them yet.

Johnsylva
#24Tonys Weekend Dilemma!
Posted: 4/27/19 at 6:02pm

Hi everyone -- I'm back with the 2019 edition of my Tonys weekend dilemma!

I'll be visiting New York from LA Friday June 7 until Monday June 10 and able to catch four shows. ALL MY SONS is unmissable to me (Annette!), and I've seen THE PROM, TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, and NETWORK, so they're out.

So, Broadway experts, what other THREE shows should I catch in order to have as well-rounded of a theatre weekend experience I can -- while being able to see as many Tony nominees/likely winners as possible?

Appreciate your input -- New York, here I come!!

- J

Updated On: 4/27/19 at 06:02 PM

Nicole 10
#25Tonys Weekend Dilemma!
Posted: 4/27/19 at 6:19pm

Personally, I would recommend Hadestown for sure as it is generally accepted as the frontrunner for best musical. I found this seasons musicals to be quite weak so I would recommend seeing 2 plays. The Ferryman and What the Constitution Means to me were both fantastic. 

But if you prefer another musical, then I would say if you're in the mood for something light and funny and see the possible winner of best leading actor in a musical, go with Tootsie. If you want to see an edgy but highly polarizing reinterpretation of a beloved show, go with Oklahoma! 

I know I listed more than 3 but all are such different vibes and really depend on your preferences :) 

Theatrefanboy1
#26Tonys Weekend Dilemma!
Posted: 4/27/19 at 6:40pm

I recommend Hadestown and the Cher show. As well as either Oklahoma, or Gary or what the constitution means

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#27Tonys Weekend Dilemma!
Posted: 4/27/19 at 7:33pm

Hadestown
The Ferryman
To Kill a Mockingbird

Videos