Stage Dooring

Miss Jezebel DuPree2
#25Stage Dooring
Posted: 3/31/17 at 1:23pm

Miss Close kindly greets fans at Sunset Boulevard.  Very kind and will take selfies with you!

Willie4316
#26Stage Dooring
Posted: 3/31/17 at 4:39pm

Does anyone know if Phillipa Soo, Christy Altomare, Annaleigh Ashford, or Laura Osnes (based on Cinderella/Bonnie and Clyde experiences) have been coming out? 

Going to try rush/SRO tomorrow for these shows, would love to try to get a selfie with any of these ladies!

Whateverjsays
#27Stage Dooring
Posted: 3/31/17 at 4:47pm

Willie4316 said: "Does anyone know if Phillipa Soo, Christy Altomare, Annaleigh Ashford, or Laura Osnes (based on Cinderella/Bonnie and Clyde experiences) have been coming out? 

Going to try rush/SRO tomorrow for these shows, would love to try to get a selfie with any of these ladies!

"

If you follow their tags on Instagram you'll be able to see if they've come out to sign or not

playbill-love
#28Stage Dooring
Posted: 3/31/17 at 4:59pm

Last night Bette Midler came out and quickly greeted and shook the hands of everyone directly up against the railing at stage door, and then waved to the crowd before getting in her car. She was very sweet and friendly to everyone. 

SarahNYC2
#29Stage Dooring
Posted: 3/31/17 at 5:03pm

I am really curious about the whole going to the stage door. I have been going to the theater since I was 4-so about 39 years!!!!!! I have never gone or wanted to go to the stage door. I just don't get it. I am truly not trying to start a fight or drama, I am just so intrigued by this. 

Megsamegatron Profile Photo
Megsamegatron
#30Stage Dooring
Posted: 3/31/17 at 5:03pm

Willie4316 said: "Does anyone know if Phillipa Soo, Christy Altomare, Annaleigh Ashford, or Laura Osnes (based on Cinderella/Bonnie and Clyde experiences) have been coming out? 

"

Phillipa does in Amelie! The first time it was a strict no selfie rule but did sign and the second time (there were less people) she signed and took selfies!

Theatricality Profile Photo
Theatricality
#31Stage Dooring
Posted: 3/31/17 at 5:37pm

CurtainPullDowner said: "Dooring  is not a word."

I don't believe someone with a username CurtainPullDowner is the best person to receive advice in proper English. Just an observation. Stage Dooring

Leah Robertson
#32Stage Dooring
Posted: 3/31/17 at 5:41pm

"

Christy Altomare took selfies with a couple of people Monday night. She was actually crying because she was so appreciative of the audience response to the show. Phillipa Soo didn't even come out after the Wednesday matinee. I don't blame her, I'm sure it's exhausting. I've read that it's common for them to not come out after a matinee on a two show day, but I didn't know that when I was planning our trip.

It was more than made up for that night when Bette Midler touched my daughter's face. She didn't sign but she made eye contact with or touched each person as she came to them. She took my other daughter's hand in hers and patted my hand because I was too stunned to respond. It was a really special night!

Mediamaven2
#33Stage Dooring
Posted: 3/31/17 at 5:53pm

SarahNYC2 said: "I am really curious about the whole going to the stage door. I have been going to the theater since I was 4-so about 39 years!!!!!! I have never gone or wanted to go to the stage door. I just don't get it. I am truly not trying to start a fight or drama, I am just so intrigued by this. 

Here's my thing, though usually I don't stage door. I have on occasion. I first did it with my mom about 20 years ago--we saw Zoe Caldwell in Masterclass and Christopher Plummer in Barrymore. And I distinctly remember urging my mom to wait at the stage door with me after the show, to glimpse them. Yes, people waited with playbills for signatures and pre-iphone cameras for pictures, but I didn't want any of that. I just wanted to "see". And I admit I have done it on occasion since then, most recently in the fall one day after A Color Purple performance. The reason? I just want to see. 

How do I explain? I just love the theatrical magic that is created on the stage: the performance, the artifice. The suspension of belief. The idea that a twist here and there, some  clothing and make up, some words, some lighting, and boom: the magic of the performer transfixes you and transports you. It's why I also love to see the performers take their bows: the artifice is usually gone. You see the person, the people, who did it. I love it. I guess it just makes the majesty and magic of it all more real to me. To see the performers responsible, walking and looking like us, mortal people. I don't need an autograph or a picture. Hell I don't even need to say anything. I know they are tired and happy to just go home and I am happy to let them. 

I've stage doored occasionally over the years.   I think the last time was TCP  this fall. I've seen Notes From the Field, Dear Evan Hansen, The Great Comet, and Sunset Blvd since then but haven't stagedoored any of those.  Not something I usually do but sometimes and who knows when timing will be right (usually needs to be good weather and a matinee, plus no rush /need to be home / elsewhere and either on my own or with a buddy who's into it also. Lots of things in play and could never predict when I am or am not going to do it!). Also, I need to be "REALLY TAKEN" by the performance. Perhaps I would have wanted to stagedoor Glen Close-she was magnificent, and Anna Deavere Smith, who was magnificent also. But I have seen these ladies up and about as mortals around NYC already in the last couple of decades, so I guess that made it less imperative! 

Willie4316
#34Stage Dooring
Posted: 3/31/17 at 5:54pm

Leah Robertson said: "Willie4316 said: "Does anyone know if Phillipa Soo, Christy Altomare, Annaleigh Ashford, or Laura Osnes (based on Cinderella/Bonnie and Clyde experiences) have been coming out? 

"

Christy Altomare took selfies with a couple of people Monday night. She was actually crying because she was so appreciative of the audience response to the show. Phillipa Soo didn't even come out after the Wednesday matinee. I don't blame her, I'm sure it's exhausting. I've read that it's common for them to not come out after a matinee on a two show day, but I didn't know that when I was planning our trip.

It was more than made up for that night when Bette Midler touched my daughter's face. She didn't sign but she made eye contact with or touched each person as she came to them. She took my other daughter's hand in hers and patted my hand because I was too stunned to respond. It was a really special night!
"

Thanks for the feedback! Going to rush tonight since I now have a conflict for tomorrow. And wow, sounds like you and your daughters had an amazing experience! 

elephantseye
#35Stage Dooring
Posted: 3/31/17 at 6:01pm

SarahNYC2 said: "I am really curious about the whole going to the stage door. I have been going to the theater since I was 4-so about 39 years!!!!!! I have never gone or wanted to go to the stage door. I just don't get it. I am truly not trying to start a fight or drama, I am just so intrigued by this."

For me, I like getting the opportunity to thank performers for their work. And I keep playbills as mementos, so it's nice to get them signed. I know plenty of people who like to stage door, and plenty who don't. As long as people at the stage door are polite, I don't think anyone really cares one way or another.

lczvera
#36Stage Dooring
Posted: 3/31/17 at 6:23pm

"

When I went, both Annaleigh Ashford and Jake Gyllenhaal came out and signed & took selfies with everyone who asked... to be fair, it's a small crowd and Ashford came out 1 hr after the show and it took Gyllenhaal a little over 2 hrs (which was the longest stage door I've been to, but my friend is a huge Gyllenhaal's fan so it's all worthy I guess).

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#37Stage Dooring
Posted: 3/31/17 at 6:37pm

I only stage door'ed once for Broadway. I did the stagedoor after She Loves Me and Zachary Levi and Gavin Creel were so gracious. Now I'm afraid to ever stage door again because I realize not every actor is as patient and friendly as Zachary and Gavin.

Eliza2 Profile Photo
Eliza2
#38Stage Dooring
Posted: 3/31/17 at 6:41pm

I also save my Playbills in binders and I like to have them signed. I don't care about taking selfies or having conversations with the actors. I just thank them for a great performance and for taking the time to come out and sign. I don't understand people who try to have long conversations with them. Just let them sign and move on.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#39Stage Dooring
Posted: 3/31/17 at 7:27pm

Eliza2 said: "I also save my Playbills in binders and I like to have them signed. I don't care about taking selfies or having conversations with the actors. I just thank them for a great performance and for taking the time to come out and sign. I don't understand people who try to have long conversations with them. Just let them sign and move on.

Sometimes the star has a long conversation with the fan because they wanted to. I told Zach Braff that Garden State was in my top 3 movies of all time and we talked about his work and film in general for about ten minutes. I also told Michelle Williams about how much I loved her work, how she was my favorite actress and how my cousin has worked with her on numerous films and we talked for a good five minutes and SHE pulled me in for a picture. It all depends.

elephantseye
#40Stage Dooring
Posted: 3/31/17 at 7:47pm

Agreed! If actors are into having longer conversations, that's great! When I went to Oh, Hello, John and Nick spoke with everyone individually for quite some time-- Nick even grabbed my phone out of my hands to record a video for my friend. The only problem would be when people try to force actors to stay, or sign a ton of stuff, or are clearly just there to get autographs to sell.

Eliza2 Profile Photo
Eliza2
#41Stage Dooring
Posted: 3/31/17 at 8:04pm

elephantseye said: "Agreed! If actors are into having longer conversations, that's great! When I went to Oh, Hello, John and Nick spoke with everyone individually for quite some time-- Nick even grabbed my phone out of my hands to record a video for my friend. The only problem would be when people try to force actors to stay, or sign a ton of stuff, or are clearly just there to get autographs to sell."

This is what I'm talking about. When a fan just starts talking incessantly at the actor, while the actor just stands there nodding politely because they're stuck and don't want to be rude.

SarahNYC2
#42Stage Dooring
Posted: 4/2/17 at 8:30pm

Thanks to those who indulged my curiosity. I absolutely do not think it is good or bad. I was just curios, and really appreciate responses. 

I can absolutely see the urge to thank the performers. I love watching shows because I am so blown away by how much has to go into a performance. 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#43Stage Dooring
Posted: 4/3/17 at 9:38am

SarahNYC2 said: "I am really curious about the whole going to the stage door. I have been going to the theater since I was 4-so about 39 years!!!!!! I have never gone or wanted to go to the stage door. I just don't get it. I am truly not trying to start a fight or drama, I am just so intrigued by this."

I've met a number of performers at their respective stage doors, but it's not something I do with every show. I'm only inclined to visit the stage door after seeing a show that has a significant impact on me, and particularly if I suspect (or know for a fact) that it was my last opportunity to experience it (e.g., a limited run of a brilliant show, or the closing of a show that wasn't widely embraced but I nonetheless felt a strong connection with).

The first time I did this was after the final performance by the original cast of Love Never Dies in London, when my husband and I went to the Adelphi stage door and met the entire cast. There was a massive crowd and we were there for a couple of hours (despite the fact that this was during the month of March). This cast had given their all but simply couldn't overcome the negative publicity of a few pompous critics and a lunatic couple who launched a personal vendetta against the show. The performers were genuinely touched that so many people appreciated the work they'd put in, and the validation of the crowd that night created an emotional connection for everyone involved. I'm very glad to have gotten their autographs and pictures/videos with them to commemorate the experience.

More recently, I visited the stage door after both Sunday in the Park with George and Sunset Boulevard. I really enjoyed both of these shows and, knowing that they were limited runs and I wouldn't likely have another opportunity to see them, I wanted to meet the performers and have them sign my Playbills (like lots of folks around here, I keep all of my Playbills and tickets).

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage
Updated On: 4/3/17 at 09:38 AM

wonderboynj
#44Stage Dooring
Posted: 4/3/17 at 11:13am

I like to do the stage door experience, but I almost never do it anymore.  People are just too much nowadays.

But I wanted to share a funny story about the first time I ever did it.

It was for Annie Get Your Gun with Bernadette Peters. I'm a huge fan of hers and I wanted the chance to meet her and see her up close.  I was about the 2nd or 3rd person that she came to when she came out of the stage door and I said something like you were magnificent.  What was funny was that the moment the door opened and she came out some guy near the end of the line started screaming "I love you, I've seen all of your movies blah blah blah blah blah"

So when she got to me, she was rolling her eyes LOL  On one hand I felt badly that this guy who quite obviously adored her made a fool out of himself, on the other hand, it was way too funny to not giggle about sometimes :)

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#45Stage Dooring
Posted: 4/6/17 at 8:50am

Per my friend who saw SITPWG last night, security stated that Jake does it come out for autographs anymore (and won't for the rest of the run)....

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#46Stage Dooring
Posted: 4/6/17 at 9:41am

I typically do not stage door unless I just witnessed something special and it's the original cast. I keep all my playbills so it is a nice momento.  In the last 5 years, I have only staged door to Hamilton,  Book of Mormon, Color Purple and Dear Evan Hansen.  

Not to be confused with Dave19.
Updated On: 4/6/17 at 09:41 AM

10086sunset
#47Stage Dooring
Posted: 4/6/17 at 10:20am

quizking101 said: "Per my friend who saw SITPWG last night, security stated that Jake does it come out for autographs anymore (and won't for the rest of the run)...."

Wonder what caused the change?

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#48Stage Dooring
Posted: 4/6/17 at 10:37am

10086sunset said: "quizking101 said: "Per my friend who saw SITPWG last night, security stated that Jake does it come out for autographs anymore (and won't for the rest of the run)...."

Wonder what caused the change?
"

If this is true, it may be that he simply doesn't want to put up with the hassle anymore. I saw the show about a month ago and went to the stage door after. I was told that selfies with him weren't allowed, but at least one person there that day did it. Mr. Gyllenhaal allowed it, but he appeared somewhat put off by the entire stage door experience (not just the selfie), as though he viewed it as something that was unfortunately obligatory. He certainly wasn't rude, but he was definitely one of the less gracious performers in this setting and appeared to be in a hurry to get through it.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#49Stage Dooring
Posted: 4/6/17 at 10:40am

They are selling signed stuff for the remainder of the run for BC/EFA, no? So, if you need his scribble, it is available...