pixeltracker

2017 Drama League Nominations & Awards- Page 3

2017 Drama League Nominations & Awards

pupscotch
#502017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 11:28am

Predicting winners though, I'm surprised Sutton Foster hasn't won one yet, and I could see her winning.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#512017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 11:29am

adamgreer said: "Has Bette won this award before? Maybe that's why she isn't on the list. "

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess Midler's winning this season's Distinguished Achievement in Musical Theatre Award renders her ineligible for a Distinguished Performance nomination...? She hasn't won the award before, so that wouldn't explain it.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#522017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 11:29am

I am also sad to not see Block, Soo, or Briones. Especially considering Laura Osnes got on there when I've heard that Corey Cott is the one giving a better performance. I think Jenn Colella's show is too "ensemble" for them to single her out for this particular award.

Also, they nominated Hadestown, they could've nominated Patrick Page...

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

neonlightsxo
#532017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 11:30am

The only person from Anastasia who was nominated is Caroline O'Connor, which is a real head scratcher for me. Not even Mary Beth Peil and John Bolton?

These awards get weirder and worse every year.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#542017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 11:30am

BroadwayConcierge said: "adamgreer said: "Has Bette won this award before? Maybe that's why she isn't on the list. "

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess Midler's winning this season's Distinguished Achievement in Musical Theatre Award renders her ineligible for a Distinguished Performance nomination...? She hasn't won the award before, so that wouldn't explain it.

That would make the most sense, I just couldn't remember if she had won for one of her one-woman shows previously. 

briansb
#552017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 11:32am

adamgreer said: "BroadwayConcierge said: "adamgreer said: "Has Bette won this award before? Maybe that's why she isn't on the list. "

That would make the most sense, I just couldn't remember if she had won for one of her one-woman shows previously. 

"

Yep! Quote from the official Drama League site: 

"Note: Due to receiving The Drama League’s 2017 Distinguished Achievement in Musical Theatre Award, Bette Midler will not be considered for this year’s Distinguished Performance Award."

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#562017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 11:33am

Keep in mind, anyone can sign up and pay to vote for these awards without seeing every performance. It's a little wacky. 

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#572017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 11:35am

Interesting that A BRONX TALE got the shaft (with a slate of 10 nominees) along with PARAMOUR, IN TRANSIT, and CHARLIE. I thought this is where it would get in.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#582017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 11:38am

Another Winter said: "I'm surprised The Band's Visit did not get a nomination"

Agreed! It was one of my favorite shows of the season, Broadway and Off-Broadway, so that's disappointing news...

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#592017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 11:44am

I'm bummed nobody from Hadestown was nominated. Amber Gray and Patrick Page were most deserving.

Also, I think it's weird that Ehle and Mays are the two nominations from Oslo when Aronov and Azizi are doing much more exciting work.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Fordham2015
#602017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 11:45am

Was Oslo nominated for Best Play? BWW list says yes, but it's not listed on Playbill.

Fordham2015
#612017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 11:46am

Fordham2015 said: "Was Oslo nominated for Best Play? BWW list says yes, but it's not listed on Playbill.

Never mind, it's listed among the nominees on the official site: http://dramaleague.org/awards/nominees

"

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#622017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 11:49am

I'm also sad that Denis Arndt missed out for Heisenberg. Had the show opened later in the season, I think he'd be showing up as a nominee on a lot more of these lists.

neonlightsxo
#632017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 11:56am

ljay889 said: "Keep in mind, anyone can sign up and pay to vote for these awards without seeing every performance. It's a little wacky. "

Right, but who does the nominees list? Do they have a nominating committee?

10086sunset
#642017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 12:26pm

neonlightsxo said: "These awards get weirder and worse every year."

Neon, they really do.

I vote for these things and don't understand some of these nominations. How can you nominate Cats for best revival and expect to be taken seriously?

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#652017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 12:30pm

Really shocked that Caroline was the one who got nominated for Anastasia, but still happy for her! And yay Laura Osnes!!!!!

ELP
#662017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 12:34pm

IdinaBellFoster said: "I'm most upset about Block missing. I hope this doesn't become a thing past this...if I had it my way she'd win the Tony this year."

Not to worry, IBF. She's a lock for a Tony nom at the very least, as well as Brandon Uranowitz. Re Borle's Drama League nom, interesting that one can get a 2-show nomination. Don't remember ever seeing something like that before..Kudos to Christian! Can't opine on his Charlie performance having not seen it yet but was very disappointed in his portrayal of Marvin in Falsettos. Others may disagree, of course.

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#672017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 12:37pm

Caroline O'Conner is the most expected nominee from Anastasia. If Anastasia gets only one Tony nomination for acting, it'll be her. 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#682017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 12:52pm

For me, Caroline O'Connor was the clear standout in ANASTASIA. Although, as a whole, I enjoyed the show, it needed more of the mojo from the "Land of Yesterday" number.

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#692017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 1:14pm

Patti Lupone, Christy Altomare, Jon Jon Briones, Josh Groban, Corey Cott, Phillipa Soo, Bronx Tale, and Significant Other all got shut out. 

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#702017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 1:17pm

Groban was nominated and Patti isn't eligible, she won before.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#712017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 1:17pm

Since Patti LuPone is a previous Drama League winner, she no longer has to compete. Josh Groban was nominated.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#722017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 1:22pm

It is curious that Patti wasn't given one of the citations along with Ebersole, though (I say this having not seen War Paint but from what I understand they're both excellent).

ntrackbar Profile Photo
ntrackbar
#732017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 1:24pm

ELP said: "Re Borle's Drama League nom, interesting that one can get a 2-show nomination. Don't remember ever seeing something like that before..Kudos to Christian! "

DHP was nominated for two shows as well this year!

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#742017 Drama League Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/19/17 at 1:24pm

^perfectlymarvelous - Patti was given a citation. - 

"The Drama League also wishes to acknowledge the previous recipients of the Distinguished Performance Award who appeared in New York productions this season.  As the Award can only be won once in a performer’s lifetime, they are ineligible this season.  Their exemplary work, however, is recognized and applauded.

Glenn Close, Sunset Boulevard

Christine Ebersole, War Paint

Harvey Fierstein, Gently Down The Stream

Nathan Lane, The Front Page

Patti LuPone, War Paint

Mary-Louise Parker, Heisenberg

Live Schreiber, Les Liaisons Dangereuses"

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.