pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17- Page 2

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/10/17 at 6:26pm

haterobics said: "Dysquith13 said: "This may be a silly question, but how exactly is the potential gross calculated?"

All tix selling at their listed price without discounts, etc., I'd imagine.

Also does not include premium ticket cost or standing room potential  

"

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#26Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/10/17 at 6:36pm

Maybe the "Part 2" is part of what's putting off goers for "ADH: II"

Every time I hear the title, I immediately think of a Golden Girls quote

Mrs. Weston: What are you seeing?
Blanche: Nightmare on Elm Street 4.
Rose: Do you have to see 1, 2, and 3 to appreciate it?
Dorothy: No, Rose. It stands alone.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#27Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/10/17 at 6:51pm

Interesting. The new musicalsthat are doing well (and merit be damned) are Charlie and the CF... and Anastasia, clearly aimed at children and their moms who know the properties. Groundhog Day, War Paint and Amelie - all more or less intended for an older audience are doing middling business.And we can forget the straight play category. They are drowning or floating to get by.

This is what New York theater is becoming. Kiddieland!  NYC once was the theatrical center of the western world. Today ?- and I'll quote George Furth: "New York is the center of New York." 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#28Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/10/17 at 6:57pm

War Paint is certainly performing stronger than Amelie or Groundhog. It's doing better in potential gross. I wouldn't group it with those two shows. But anything can change once reviews and Tony nominations come fully into play. 

canadian fan
#29Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/10/17 at 6:58pm

I would concur with JayG, how is it people will flock to see Charlie, yet Dolls House is seemingly  ignored? Quality be dammed apparently. Broadway is supposed to be the Meca for serious theater is it not? Sad state of affairs if what JayG is saying is true, and it seems it just may be.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#30Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/10/17 at 6:58pm

War Paint is hardly doing middling business. I think the low grosses for some shows has more to do with the overcrowded season than anything else. Anastasia seems to have found a strong audience of millennials that grew up with the film.  I'd also expect Chocolate Factory's numbers to drop signifigantly soon once the toxic word of mouth spreads and the likely disastrous reviews come out. 

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

Rainah
#31Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/10/17 at 7:01pm

JayG 2 said: "Interesting. The new musicalsthat are doing well (and merit be damned) are Charlie and the CF... and Anastasia, clearly aimed at children and their moms who know the properties. Groundhog Day, War Paint and Amelie - all more or less intended for an older audience are doing middling business.And we can forget the straight play category. They are drowning or floating to get by.

This is what New York theater is becoming. Kiddieland!  NYC once was the theatrical center of the western world. Today ?- and I'll quote George Furth: "New York is the center of New York." 

Sure, but that doesn't hold up if you look at even just musicals that have opened this year. CFA, DEH, Dolly, Miss Saigon, Comet... Shows that run on childhood nostalgia will always sell a lot of tickets, but there is plenty of room for new and different musicals.

I think it might be better to say "Childhood nostalgia is far more bankable than adult nostalgia". The difference is that Amelie and Groundhog day were seen by adults originally, whereas Anastasia and Chocolate Factory were originally seen by kids, now adults (The targeted age group of Anastasia not just kids but twenty somethings who watched the movie as kids)

froote
#32Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/10/17 at 7:02pm

CFA, DEH and Great Comet are also new musicals that are doing well. None of which are aimed at kids.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#33Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/10/17 at 7:02pm

COME FROM AWAY is slowly inching towards grossing $1 million.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#34Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/10/17 at 7:03pm

DEH is wildly popular with teenagers and school groups. I would certainly say it has massive appeal to teenagers. 

froote
#35Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/10/17 at 7:10pm

Right. But teenagers aren't children.

Rainah
#36Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/10/17 at 7:22pm

DEH is most certainly NOT for children the same way something like Aladdin or Chocolate Factory is.

Mildred Plotka
#37Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/10/17 at 7:24pm

froote said: "Right. But teenagers aren't children

"

Yes they are  

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#38Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/10/17 at 7:25pm

Mildred Plotka said: "froote said: "Right. But teenagers aren't children

"

Yes they are  

"

No.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Mildred Plotka
#39Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/10/17 at 7:28pm

Says a teenager. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child

froote
#40Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/10/17 at 7:31pm

Except teenagers either are going through or have gone through puberty so my point remains.

If someone said 'look at that child' you wouldn't look at a teenager.

Mildred Plotka
#41Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/10/17 at 7:35pm

Still legally children  if under 18.

BwayDreamer00
#42Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/10/17 at 7:39pm

Eh not necessarily. Yes more kid shows have been to coming to broadway but, have you seen Come From Away's numbers???????? Chicago and Phantom are broadway's longest running shows and are still doing.......strong....and War Paint isn't doing that bad......there are so many kid shows because producers want MONEY and tourism attracts MONEY.....and Hamilton isn't a kid show nor is Book of Mormon two shows doing great this year is just a big year for kid shows.......next year's season (except for Frozen ew) is MUCH less "kiddy". Oh and The Great Comet isn't a kid show and is doing fine? Another one to name..... 

cam5y
#43Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/10/17 at 7:46pm

canadian fan said: "I would concur with JayG, how is it people will flock to see Charlie, yet Dolls House is seemingly  ignored? Quality be dammed apparently. Broadway is supposed to be the Meca for serious theater is it not? Sad state of affairs if what JayG is saying is true, and it seems it just may be."

Broadway is best for musicals, but the West End has the edge when it comes to plays. 

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#44Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/10/17 at 7:47pm

The stage design for A Doll's House, Part 2 is extremely chic and fresh. It was a mistake to have the marketing design and show poster so stuffy and boring. Based on that design alone I would assume it was a very drowsy night at the theatre. In fact, it's a fabulously thrilling night that is not to be missed. Hopefully word of mouth will help it along.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#45Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/10/17 at 8:21pm

Of course teenagers are children, in ever legal sense of the word. There really is no debating that particular point. 

I do miss the teenagers on the board from years ago, who were much more willing to learn from knowledgeable posters like Pal Joey and others. Much of this current group, as this thread indicates, seems to already think they know everything. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#46Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/10/17 at 8:22pm

adamgreer said: "Of course teenagers are children, in ever legal sense of the word. There really is no debating that particular point. 

I do miss the teenagers on the board from years ago, who were much more willing to learn from knowledgeable posters like Pal Joey and others. Much of this current group, as this thread indicates, seems to already think they know everything. 
"

Bingo.

Rainah
#47Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/10/17 at 8:51pm

Mildred Plotka said: "Still legally children  if under 18."

Sure, legally. But I don't think anyone here is talking about legality. The argument is that teenagers (Such as are fans of DEH, which does include serious discussion of adult topics like suicide) and children (Such as might be fans of shows like Anastasia) are totally different markets and should not be lumped together when discussing what their interests are or what would be appropriate for them

But, on topic: In Transit's numbers continue to be incredibly grim, and Bandstand doesn't look great either. Pity, I've heard good things about it but it seems like it will be swallowed by a crowded season. Still waiting to see if CFA can hit that 1mill mark

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#48Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/10/17 at 8:57pm

I think we have to wait and see how this all turns out in the end. All of the shows haven't opened yet. Surely if Doll's House wins, it will sell tickets. Tony nominations will be a big part of this as well. I think Amelie is the worst off as of right now. 

Jarethan
#49Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/9/17
Posted: 4/10/17 at 9:29pm

if Chicago continues on its current trajectory, 2017 could be its highest grossing year ever.  Admittedly, ticket price inflation is a significant factor, but that is still incredible, particularly if the producers manage the operating costs as tightly as I  have read over the years.  

So, for those of us who saw Carol Channing in the original Hello Dolly production, I am beginning to think that it is highly possible that the currently running productions of Chicago, The Lion King, Wicked, Hamilton, Phantom and, possibly, BOM will outlast us all.  I only qualify BOM because I am not sure that it will get the foreign tourists that seem to be contributing to the continued success of the other war horses.