pixeltracker

Rialto Chatter: Nathan Lane-Led ANGELS IN AMERICA Heading to Broadway?- Page 3

Rialto Chatter: Nathan Lane-Led ANGELS IN AMERICA Heading to Broadway?

mlsheehan Profile Photo
mlsheehan
#50Fathom Events:: Nathan Lane-Led ANGELS IN AMERICA anyone?
Posted: 7/21/17 at 2:34am

Just wow - I am loving this production.  All in all, it's tremendous.  I am loving everyone.  Andrew Garfield's highly theatrical Prior is definitely working for me.  It's very affected, but it fits the part so well. Russel Tovey's Joe is terrific - funny and stuffy and quite charming.  I personally don't think James McArdle is stumbling over his lines, that's the character.  He is almost making Louis likable (but I still hate him).  My friend and I were both taken with Denise Hough.  She is so in the moment and believable as Harper.  I'm really enjoying her performance.

I can't wait for next week!

Alexander Lamar
#51Fathom Events:: Nathan Lane-Led ANGELS IN AMERICA anyone?
Posted: 7/21/17 at 8:41am

Maybe it's because I've only seen the miniseries and a small, local production, (and forgive me but I don't know the exact name) but the moment when the book came up out of the stage during Prior's medical appointment was especially thrilling for me.  Really loving this production, and hoping they can make a transfer happen.  

Also, the timing flew by.  Every time we got to an interval I looked at my watch and thought "wow, it's that late already?"

Can't wait for next week.

jtishere
#52Fathom Events:: Nathan Lane-Led ANGELS IN AMERICA anyone?
Posted: 7/21/17 at 9:29am

Watched this brilliant piece of theatre last night. Nathan Lane was thrilling to watch and Andrew Garfield was a revelation. Russell Tovey does a very fine job, too. Denise Gough's Harper slowly won me over, but I must say I'm not wild about James McArdle, although his scene with Belize in Act III was stunning. Finally, Sandra Brown is giving wonderful performances as all the tertiary characters, and especially as Joe's mother.  

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#53Fathom Events:: Nathan Lane-Led ANGELS IN AMERICA anyone?
Posted: 7/21/17 at 10:36am

billyelliotfan123 said: "It seems lately Nathan Lane only works with Scott Rudin though... Has anyone else noticed that?"

Of Lane's last five Broadway outings, only The Front Page was produced by Rudin, so... no?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

WayTooBroadway Profile Photo
WayTooBroadway
#54Fathom Events:: Nathan Lane-Led ANGELS IN AMERICA anyone?
Posted: 7/21/17 at 10:46am

I'm selling two side orchestra aisle seats (row M) for the National Theatre Live screening of MILLENNIUM APPROACHES tonight.

$30 for the pair OBO; either midtown pick-up or meet at Skirball. PM for inquiries or more info. Thanks!

"When the audience comes in, it changes the temperature of what you've written." -Stephen Sondheim

billyelliotfan123
#55Fathom Events:: Nathan Lane-Led ANGELS IN AMERICA anyone?
Posted: 7/21/17 at 11:12am

Kad,

Rudin also produced Iceman Cometh at BAM. I was under the impression that Rudin produced It's Only A Play. Not sure how I confused him to Ken Davenport

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#56Fathom Events:: Nathan Lane-Led ANGELS IN AMERICA anyone?
Posted: 7/21/17 at 11:25am

Wasn't it reported Sonia Friedman was looking to bring it over, or am I assuming that because she does so many London transfers?

And having seen the screening last night (what a production!), I think the size of the theatre is still a challenge, but not insurmountable. I don't think it needs the Beaumont, for instance.

I imagine the hold up for a transfer is a theatre also the schedules of these A-List people. They've spent many months on this production, with 3 months of rehearsal alone; I imagine they have gigs lined up for after, especially Garfield.

But I, for one, hope it comes in.

WestCoastActor/Director Profile Photo
WestCoastActor/Director
#57Fathom Events:: Nathan Lane-Led ANGELS IN AMERICA anyone?
Posted: 7/21/17 at 5:11pm

I was able to see the screening of part one last night here in California. I thought it was an excellent production. I especially thought Nathan Lane., Andrew Garfield, and Russell Tovey were giving some of the best performances I've ever seen them do.

The set would probably have to be scaled down for anywhere on Broadway. It was quite unexpected at times.

interestingly the screening kept both full intermissions.  For supper that long I appreciate have time to run to the restroom or get something to drink. I don't feel we needed 30 minutes (between the two intermissions) for.  Interesting thing is the camera shows the audience for the full intervals as they call them.

friend of mine and England had seen the live version and said she appreciated the film version better because you got a lot out of the actors close-ups in the film that you missed on stage.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#58Fathom Events:: Nathan Lane-Led ANGELS IN AMERICA anyone?
Posted: 7/21/17 at 10:08pm

Sad I missed the screening. Only saw Part 2 in person. There are moments that could be scaled back, but it's such an epic piece, and I think the scale adds to that. 

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#59Fathom Events:: Nathan Lane-Led ANGELS IN AMERICA anyone?
Posted: 7/21/17 at 10:20pm

My grapevine told me Jujamcyn had dibs on this, and was planning on the Kerr for the fall, but I guess Bruce Springsteen messed that up? I'd imagine they'd want the Hirschfeld, as it's bigger, but the Wilson may be the more readily available. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#60Fathom Events:: Nathan Lane-Led ANGELS IN AMERICA anyone?
Posted: 7/21/17 at 10:27pm

Would a NYC transfer be negotiated in their initial contracts? Surely they knew there was talk. 

Callum_brown1
#61Fathom Events:: Nathan Lane-Led ANGELS IN AMERICA anyone?
Posted: 7/21/17 at 11:29pm

Thought I would add my thoughts even though I only saw it person in May. Garfield comes into his own in the second part. His final monologue is very affecting. I didn't care for Harper or Louis - but perhaps that's the way the characters are written. Nathan Lane gave the best stage performance I've ever seen. All in all, I think the unsung hero of the whole thing is Susan Brown - what she's doing here is absolutely brilliant. 

If it did transfer, it would have to be quite radically redesigned, the quirks of the Lyttleton are taken advantage of a lot in this production. But it would get buzzed the hell out of - perhaps a homecoming for Kushner/Lane, the hot young thing (Garfield) and the inevitable NYT feature about how 'relevant' the play is in the current political climate!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#62Fathom Events:: Nathan Lane-Led ANGELS IN AMERICA anyone?
Posted: 7/21/17 at 11:43pm

Oh for sure. I think it would make a mint very quickly. But I just wish there was someway to keep the scale of the piece. Maybe at the Neil Simon? It needs a deep stage. I mean, even the Broadway would work.

nasty_khakis
#63Fathom Events:: Nathan Lane-Led ANGELS IN AMERICA anyone?
Posted: 7/22/17 at 1:46pm

I thought Garfield was very very good, but the more I thought about it the more bothered I was by a heterosexual actor giving such a...swishy performance. I'm not saying a former drag queen in NYC 1985 would not act that way, have limp wrists, etc but it felt a little odd to me. Why not cast a brilliant effeminate actor who doesn't get as many opportunities to play leads? Oh well, it's a large discussion that's raged on for years.

It would have to be redesigned/restaged. Only a few broadway houses have stages that deep for the entire set to slide back PLUS elevator space and they're all housing mega musicals right now. 

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#64Fathom Events:: Nathan Lane-Led ANGELS IN AMERICA anyone?
Posted: 7/22/17 at 2:04pm

Andrew Garfield?  Heterosexual?  Where?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#65Fathom Events:: Nathan Lane-Led ANGELS IN AMERICA anyone?
Posted: 7/22/17 at 3:28pm

Garfield has only referred to himself as heterosexual and had a high profile relationship with Emma Stone. Why doubt it?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."