Next for the Marquis?

saxpower
#25Next for the Marquis?
Posted: 5/31/17 at 1:11pm

Lot666 said: "Call_me_jorge said: "When is the palace supposed to be raised? Or has that been abandoned?"

I can't answer your question, but the Sunset Boulevard Facebook page posted a comment yesterday stating that they definitely could not extend and have to close on June 25.

Though that could be due to another commitment for Glen Close and/or time limits on how long the non-American cast members can perform. 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#26Next for the Marquis?
Posted: 5/31/17 at 2:17pm

saxpower said: "Though that could be due to another commitment for Glen Close and/or time limits on how long the non-American cast members can perform."

A number of folks over in the main Sunset thread have messaged the show and ALW on social media, asking that they extend for a few weeks with Betty Buckley. The show's recent FB post also specified that "There will be no replacement for Glenn Close", which suggests to me that they heard the request for a replacement, but the closing is dependent on some other constraint not related to Ms. Close.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#27Next for the Marquis?
Posted: 5/31/17 at 2:27pm

They prob just don't think the show would sell without Close. And they'd have to recast, rehearse, etc. More money. They're are just trying to break even. 

10086sunset
#28Next for the Marquis?
Posted: 5/31/17 at 2:28pm

Call_me_jorge said: "When is the palace supposed to be raised? Or has that been abandoned?"

The rumor was that another show had already booked the Palace to follow Sunset before Sunset opened. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#29Next for the Marquis?
Posted: 5/31/17 at 2:52pm

^sooo, if the nederlanders are booking the palace that far in advance it would seem it's not being risen in the near future.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Willie4316
#30Next for the Marquis?
Posted: 6/3/17 at 8:31pm

As anyone else noticed this? Perhaps a subtle hint that they will be the next tenant? 

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/escape-to-margaritaville-ny-new-york-new-york-02-16-2018/event/030052C1EB081D0A?artistid=2380001&majorcatid=10002&minorcatid=207

Updated On: 6/3/17 at 08:31 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#31Next for the Marquis?
Posted: 6/3/17 at 8:34pm

^ I don't see anything

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#32Next for the Marquis?
Posted: 6/3/17 at 8:37pm

Yup, Willie got it. Escape to Margaritaville will take the Marquis in the spring of 2018.

Willie4316
#33Next for the Marquis?
Posted: 6/3/17 at 8:42pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Yup, Willie got it. Escape to Margaritaville will take the Marquis in the spring of 2018."

That's what I think is happening. I was looking at tickets for Waitress when that came up underneath the calendar. It's only the one date but I imagine that is being used as a placeholder till the deal is solidified and they'll add the rest of the run. 

Willie4316
#34Next for the Marquis?
Posted: 6/3/17 at 8:42pm

Call_me_jorge said: "^ I don't see anything"

Picture wasn't showing, I posted the link instead. 

ElephantLoveMedley
#35Next for the Marquis?
Posted: 9/20/22 at 5:32pm

Any thoughts now that it'll be vacant in January 2023?

Perhaps Once Upon a One More Time? Or ALW's Cinderella?

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#36Next for the Marquis?
Posted: 9/20/22 at 5:33pm

ElephantLoveMedley said: "Any thoughts now that it'll be vacant in January 2023?

PerhapsOnce Upon a One More Time? Or ALW'sCinderella?
"

I’d say the former. It was going to play the Marquis spring/summer 2020, but ‘Rona had other plans. 

Oh look, a bibu!

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#37Next for the Marquis?
Posted: 9/20/22 at 5:35pm

My guess is Once Upon A..the gays would easily travel to see it, and it has cross-over appeal. I can see it filling up the Marquis fairly easily. 

Also is it me, or is Broadway gonna be very bare this fall? 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#38Next for the Marquis?
Posted: 9/20/22 at 5:37pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "ElephantLoveMedley said: "Any thoughts now that it'll be vacant in January 2023?

PerhapsOnce Upon a One More Time? Or ALW'sCinderella?
"

I’d say the former. It was going to play the Marquis spring/summer 2020, but ‘Rona had other plans.
"

OUAOMT had the Nederlanders and Cinderella had Shuberts attached, I believe? I imagine if The Notebook were to transfer, wouldn't they stick with Nederlanders considering McCollum has Six at the Brooks?

YvanEhtNioj
#39Next for the Marquis?
Posted: 9/20/22 at 5:39pm

Do we think The Notebook can fill THAT many seats, though?

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#40Next for the Marquis?
Posted: 9/20/22 at 5:52pm

Probably not for the long-haul, but it's the first new thing currently "pre-Broadway" that came to mind without a theatre attached.

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#41Next for the Marquis?
Posted: 9/20/22 at 11:17pm

Perhaps this rumored Joseph Revival if they get a big enough name attached. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#42Next for the Marquis?
Posted: 9/20/22 at 11:46pm

YvanEhtNioj said: "My guess is Once Upon A..the gays would easily travel to see it, and it has cross-over appeal. I can see it filling up the Marquis fairly easily.

"

Not really. Here's the new shows starting or have recently started previews:

1. 1776
  2. Death of a Salesman
  3. Ain't No Mo
  4. Almost Famous
  5. A Beautiful Noise
  6. Between Riverside and Crazy
  7. A Christmas Carol
  8. The Collaboration
  9. The Cost of Living
  10. & Juliet
  11. Kimberly Akimbo
  12. The Kite Runner (Closing Oct. 22)
  13. KPOP
  14. Leopoldstadt
  15. Ohio State Murders
  16. The Piano Lesson
  17. The Pirates of Penzance
  18. Some Like It Hot
  19. Take Me Out
  20. TopDog/UnderDog
  21. Walking with Ghosts

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#43Next for the Marquis?
Posted: 9/21/22 at 12:00am

Hey maybe they can hire those people who renovated the Cort Theatre or David Geffen Hall and give the auditorium the reno that it needs to become an acoustically-pristine space. And then triple the number of escalators up/down to the theatre level of the hotel. And give the theatre lobby floor a makeover so it doesn't feel so much like a cruise ship.

What, a person can dream!!!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#44Next for the Marquis?
Posted: 9/21/22 at 12:12am

ACL2006 said: "YvanEhtNioj said: "My guess is Once Upon A..the gays would easily travel to see it, and it has cross-over appeal. I can see it filling up the Marquis fairly easily.

"

Not really. Here's the new shows starting or have recently started previews:

1. 1776
  2. Death of a Salesman
  3. Ain't No Mo
  4. Almost Famous
  5. A Beautiful Noise
  6. Between Riverside and Crazy
  7. A Christmas Carol
  8. The Collaboration
  9. The Cost of Living
  10. & Juliet
  11. Kimberly Akimbo
  12. The Kite Runner (Closing Oct. 22)
  13. KPOP
  14. Leopoldstadt
  15. Ohio State Murders
  16. The Piano Lesson
  17. The Pirates of Penzance
  18. Some Like It Hot
  19. Take Me Out
  20. TopDog/UnderDog
  21. Walking with Ghosts

"

You can add Mike Birbiglia: The Old Man & the Pool to that list - just announced tonight. 

Oh look, a bibu!

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#45Next for the Marquis?
Posted: 9/21/22 at 12:12am

YvanEhtNioj said: "My guess is Once Upon A..the gays would easily travel to see it, and it has cross-over appeal. I can see it filling up the Marquis fairly easily.

"

Not sure where you got that idea from. 36 Broadway theatres are scheduled to be filled by Thanksgiving, leaving only 4 operable Broadway theatres and the inoperable Palace without a show. 

YvanEhtNioj
#46Next for the Marquis?
Posted: 9/21/22 at 12:36pm

jkcohen626 said: "YvanEhtNioj said: "My guess is Once Upon A..the gays would easily travel to see it, and it has cross-over appeal. I can see it filling up the Marquis fairly easily.

"

Not sure where you got that idea from. 36 Broadway theatres are scheduled to be filled by Thanksgiving, leaving only 4 operable Broadway theatres and the inoperable Palace without a show.
"

Havent been keeping track like that. Just feels like every two days there's a new show closing

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#47Next for the Marquis?
Posted: 9/21/22 at 1:01pm

That is the nature of the business.