pixeltracker

Bitter Losers Tony Thread- Page 5

Bitter Losers Tony Thread

lambchop2
#100Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/12/17 at 12:57am

I'm still bitter that Jon Jon Briones wasn't even nominated. Seeing him on stage with Lea and his "so this is the Tonys?" stung.

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#101Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/12/17 at 12:59am

10086Sundays said: "mc1227 said: "10086Sundays said: "mc1227 said: "It will definitely last through the summer.  It is on TDF for this week but I'm sure that will disappear once school lets out in 2 weeks or so."

I think all the school kids will be going to DEH. 

There arent tickets available this summer.
"

There's standing room and cancellation (for those who can afford it). People were already camping out overnight.

And I'm thinking those who don't get tickets will go to Great Comet and, maybe, CFA. 

"

And Groundhog Day...

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

smidge
#102Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/12/17 at 1:01am

I'm just bitter that the dude who sat next to Gavin Creel wasn't me.

theater_tech
#103Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/12/17 at 1:03am

GeorgeandDot said: "Chavkin was absolutely robbed.  Ashley's work, while very good, isn't anywhere near as incredible and innovative as Chavkin's.  I truly do think that there was a split between Greif (who didn't deserve it) and Chavkin (who absolutely did deserve it) and Ashley was deemed the winner.

"

Could someone explain to me how this split thing works...?

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#104Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/12/17 at 1:17am

Anastasia's costumes, and Rachel Chavkin for Director.

And HOW THE HECK DID DAVE MALLOY LOSE ORCHESTRATIONS?

10086Sundays
#105Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/12/17 at 1:18am

ZellMorrowsPledge said: "10086Sundays said: "mc1227 said: "10086Sundays said: "mc1227 said: "It will definitely last through the summer.  It is on TDF for this week but I'm sure that will disappear once school lets out in 2 weeks or so."

"

There's standing room and cancellation (for those who can afford it). People were already camping out overnight.

And I'm thinking those who don't get tickets will go to Great Comet and, maybe, CFA. 
"

And Groundhog Day..."

We shall see...

Don't get me wrong, I'd love if it lasted through the summer and a year would be great. If a closing notice isn't announced in the next week or two, I'll feel better about its chances. 

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#106Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/12/17 at 1:20am

10086Sundays said: "ZellMorrowsPledge said: "10086Sundays said: "mc1227 said: "10086Sundays said: "mc1227 said: "It will definitely last through the summer.  It is on TDF for this week but I'm sure that will disappear once school lets out in 2 weeks or so."

"

"

And Groundhog Day..."

We shall see...

Don't get me wrong, I'd love if it lasted through the summer and a year would be great. If a closing notice isn't announced in the next week or two, I'll feel better about its chances. 

"

It grosses $900,000 a week for the past two weeks. Producers are far from even thinking about closing

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

TerrenceIsTheMann
#107Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/12/17 at 1:34am

Bette winning Best Actress was a given- Ebersole and Patti split votes, Natasha isnt a flashy role, Eva not too high profile this season (I think she had a decent shot though)
CHAVKIN. How. 
Direction and Orchestrations were totally Great Comet.

VintageSnarker
#108Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/12/17 at 1:37am

Best Musical Costumes... no

Way too little love for Great Comet, especially on the main broadcast. Their speeches got shortchanged.

Rachel Chavkin

Dave Malloy

I can understand Laurie Metcalf's win but I hope Laura Linney gets another part to showcase her talents. She really was fantastic as Regina.

Also, the directing win for Indecent was a nice surprise but there was a disappointing number of wins for women (and non-white talent but that was expected after the nominations) outside of the acting categories. 

VintageSnarker
#109Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/12/17 at 1:46am

theater_tech said: "headline: GENIUS FEMALE DIRECTOR LOSES TO MEDIOCRE MALE DIRECTOR

Best Direction by a Woman—Just Kidding, This Category Will Be Replaced by a Montage from “Annie II: Hip-Hop Don’t Stop (Singing About 2morrow) Featuring D.J. Daddy Big Buckz”

Not too far off. 

dianamorales Profile Photo
dianamorales
#110Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/12/17 at 1:59am

Luckily, I spent the night at a viewing party full of people who knew little to nothing about the shows, and it gave me a real idea of what the general public would feel. They HATED Dolly and GHD. Penny in my Pocket is obviously a terrible representation of the show, but that's now their (and the general publics) impression of it. And I had to keep assuring them that GHD really is a great show and their performance wasnt representative of it. They kept asking me what Great Comet and CFA was about and making jokes throughout. They loved Miss Saigon and were confused and upset when Eva lost best actress to someone from Hello, Dolly. They also really liked Dear Evan Hansen. Based on this, I would say that the sows that will benefit the most (that aren't already sold out) are probably Miss Saigon and Bandstand. The Hello, Dolly performance really lost them some business, I would say. But time will tell.

smidge
#111Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/12/17 at 2:04am

Could there be any lingering ill feelings towards the Great Comet after the Ars Nova dispute?

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#112Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/12/17 at 2:06am

Great Comet for Direction and Orchestrations..... wtf? If it had won one or both of these, I would feel far less bitter then I do right now but boy AM I bitter! Director literally shocked me cus really it not Comet, I was expecting DEH so when it was CFA....... I was happy that CFA got SOMETHING but did it have to be the ONE thing that Great Comet REALLY should have had?

theater_tech
#113Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/12/17 at 2:06am

Scarlet Leigh said: "Great Comet for Direction and Orchestrations..... wtf? If it had won one or both of these, I would feel far less bitter then I do right now but boy AM I bitter! Director literally shocked me cus really it not Comet, I was expecting DEH so when it was CFA....... I was happy that CFA got SOMETHING but did it have to be the ONE thing that Great Comet REALLY should have had?

"

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#114Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/12/17 at 2:33am

smidge said: "Could there be any lingering ill feelings towards the Great Comet after the Ars Nova dispute?

"

Not familiar with that - but it seems this years Tonys were full of ill feelings

bear88
#115Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/12/17 at 4:01am

The only thing I can conclude is that Tony voters really didn't like Great Comet at all. It won set design and lighting, but those are technical categories that don't really reflect what people thought of the musical itself. And the answer seems to be: not much. 

I'm bothered less for Rachel Chavkin (direction) and Dave Malloy (orchestrations, at least) personally than for the message the voters are sending here, which is that extraordinary work that pushes boundaries is not acknowledged.

I liked Dear Evan Hansen overall, but the Tony voters treated it almost like Hamilton last year, which seems excessive for a beautifully-acted, well-crafted, but flawed musical in a competitive season.

And while I'm sure Hello, Dolly is a wonderful revival of a beloved musical, Scott Rudin and Bette Midler really left a bad taste. On the Tony Awards, I don't need to be told how wonderful the show is when the folks in charge can't be bothered to perform a single song anyone actually wants to see. Midler's endless speech would have been funny if she wasn't scared to sing. Rudin's parade of dozens of people to the stage wouldn't have grated if he hadn't sent poor David Hyde Pierce out there alone. The people who should be most disappointed are the Dolly fans, who presumably would want people like my musical theatre-loving teenager to get a taste of the show she's heard about. Instead, it's irrelevant. This revival will make its money and quickly be forgotten. 

The Great Comet folks weren't trying to show up Dolly with their fun, all-out extravaganza. They were just doing what they always do, taking risks, doing the best they could given the limitations of time and an unfamiliar theatre. But they put the lie to all of Rudin's insulting excuses, and put on a terrific performance. 

Updated On: 6/12/17 at 04:01 AM

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#116Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/12/17 at 9:19am

I'm usually a good loser, and am happy for all the winners, but the fact that best orchestration and best score went to DEH is just laughable.

Must be an inside job.

froote
#117Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/12/17 at 9:23am

I'm still laughing at the DEH fan that came into the 'Bitter Losers Tony Thread' to tell us all how bitter we are.

NYJoe
#118Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/12/17 at 9:29am

No, DEH won't age well. But COMET and CFA will be around for a long, long time....

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#119Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/12/17 at 9:29am

chernjam said: "smidge said: "Could there be any lingering ill feelings towards the Great Comet after the Ars Nova dispute?

"

Not familiar with that - but it seems this years Tonys were full of ill feelings

"

Oh, please...the ill will comes from the fans, not from the Tony voters.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#120Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/12/17 at 9:41am

I concur with a lot of the previous posts. This year was filled with some unexpected wins and losses. It was a real eff you to the Broadway community when HD won, and Scott Rudin clamored for EVERYONE to be on stage! He wouldn't let any of them perform in iconic Radio City, but it's fine to jam-fill the overflowing stage and passerelle for winning. He may be brilliant in his productions, but he is a real tool. I'm at least glad for Gavin Creel; he's deserving and very good in the show. (It's so sweet to see him thank his "Henry", and then he got to stand next to Patti LuPone, his absolute idol).

I too, didn't expect GC to win everything, but yes, orchestrations and direction, Lucas Steele, that surprised me. One last thing: not a great year for performances...I won't repeat the obvious...actually, "Bandstand" looks like it came off the best; GHD (??), HD laughable, but, "War Paint" = "Happy Happy Joy Joy"!!  imo, of course.  

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

Crazy NooNooHead Profile Photo
Crazy NooNooHead
#122Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:24am

I'm super bitter that Josh Gad isn't actually returning to Broadway next year.

"I have maggots in my scrotum!"

theater_tech
#123Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:33am

The only thing consoling me about the Comet robs is the fact that there was a musical nominated for 10 awards in the 1984 Tonys that also only won Best Scenic and Best Lighting. That musical is "Sunday in the Park With George". 

(I lied. I am still inconsolable about Chavkin's loss.)

deltatee Profile Photo
deltatee
#124Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:34am

It was such a competitive year with so many great shows, that I would've been fine with any of the 4 nominees taking home Best Musical.  I was really pulling for Chavkin, Malloy, and Collela though.

Nicole 10
#125Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:43am

I am still in severe shock from Rachel Chavkin losing direction and Dave Malloy losing orchestrations. Those categories should have been a lock for them! The direction of comet is so far above any of the other shows and I just can't wrap my head around Christopher Ashley winning!! If anything, Michael Greif should have taken it over Ashley but even Greif was undeserving compared to Chavkin. 

Orchestrations! Oh my goodness. Dave Malloy had the most innovative, beautiful, lush, and dynamic orchestrations of the season. Yes, Alex Lacamoire was still great but come on! Dave Malloy deserved this award more than anyone else. 

Comet was just robbed in general. My unpopular opinions are that it also deserved to win costumes, choreography, and featured actor for Lucas Steele.