pixeltracker

HELLO, DONNA! - Murphy begins performances - Page 18

HELLO, DONNA! - Murphy begins performances

Zamedy154
#425Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/20/17 at 7:37am

I was channeling my inner Dorothy Zbornak. 

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#426Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/20/17 at 9:55am

Why am I defending myself to the two posters here who got their thrills in tearing me down yesterday? Not sure....

BUT, Dolly is a joyous musical I love. It's not Angels in America, I know that. But the title character spends 2 1/2 hours talking periodically in solitude to her deceased husband. She can't seem to get on with life. She needs a sign from him to continue on with life. I think that's pretty poignant. Haven't you ever lost a loved one? Mother, father, sister or brother? A child? I have. And so, the scene before the song Before the Parade Passes By is quite moving to me and, yes, I cry. As well as other private moments in the show. Dolly isn't just Bye, Bye, Birdie, I think. It's about finding love so "you know you'll never be alone again" I'm not cancelling my account and I'm not 12. I would think you would have to have ice in your veins to just say Dolly is just a frivolous musical comedy.

And I thought we were all here to discuss theatre. I like it. I don't like it. You like it. You don't like it, etc.. We're not here to trade recipes, are we?

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#427Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/20/17 at 10:03am

@EthelMae, Dottie absolutely adores your enthusiasm!

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#428Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 11/6/17 at 3:02pm

Finally caught Donna Murphy doing Dolly last Friday night after getting the tickets through TDF.  Saw it back in April with Bette, paid full price and sat in the Orch.  With TDF we were in the center balcony.  MY GOD those seats are high up there.  I felt I could touch the ceiling and was on the verge of vertigo everytime I stood up.

Nevertheless, I loved the production with Donna.  Total different experience then when I saw Bette.  Donna had much more energy and the whole show was much more cohesive than "the Bette Midler" show.  Not sure what the accent was that she was doing but it reminded me of Shirley Booth's accent in "the Matchmaker".  Overall I really enjoyed this night and highly recommend Murphy's Dolly.  The rest of the cast was there expect for Minnie Fay. and I liked this Minnie better than the other one too.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#429Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 11/6/17 at 7:22pm

I'm hoping to be able to catch Donna's final show.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Dollypop
#430Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 11/7/17 at 1:27pm

Between Donna's last show, Bette's last show and Bernadette's first show, January will be a busy month for me and my grandkids--and none of us are complaining!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#431Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 11/7/17 at 2:04pm

Got a TDF ticket for tonight. Super excited!!!

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#432Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 11/7/17 at 2:07pm

Do you think they’ll do something special for Donnas last performance? I’m certain they will for Bette’s, but I wonder if Jerry Zaks or a cast member will make a speech for Donna.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#433Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 11/7/17 at 3:35pm

It's very enjoyable, although the TDF tickets for last Friday were in the Balcony but at least it was center balcony.  Maybe Tuesday is a better night for seating.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#434Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 11/7/17 at 4:01pm

I wish they’d send Bernadette and Donna both to the studio to record a few tracks.

By the way, do we know if Dolly has recouped? It would seem a bit odd if they haven’t.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#435Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 11/7/17 at 10:49pm

Saw this tonight via TDF - I was in row S of the orchestra, center. Great seat. I had previously seen the show from the balcony with Midler. I felt like, as a newcomer to Dolly, I understood the story more this time, and the ups and downs of the show. Midler is an entertainer sure, but Murphy is an actress and she is incredible. Her vocals were gorgeous - nice to hear the songs sung - and she had some great quiet moments and some great scene stealers as well. I felt like the whole cast was having a blast and everyone had moments to shine. It's still such an impressive show.

What's the line that Irene says before "Elegance." I thought the word she was going to say was "cab," but she said a different word, which might actually be the line, but it sounded like she flubbed a little and then Gavin and Trevor repeated the same word. But again, new to the show, so maybe just my ignorance. 

Also, has anyone been backstage? I'm really really curious to see how they store all that set.

Dollypop
#436Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 11/7/17 at 10:51pm

BuddyStarr said: "It's very enjoyable, although the TDF tickets for last Friday were in the Balcony but at least it was center balcony. Maybe Tuesday is a better night for seating."

TDF states clearly that their DOLLY seats are in the balcony, however I was happy to learn my TDF seat was in the orchestra last Wednesday. Luck of the draw?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#437Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 11/14/17 at 9:53am

Got a TDF ticket for this evening. I didn't see any seat section specification when I ordered. Will go back and look.

Just give the world Love.

MoveOnGypsy Profile Photo
MoveOnGypsy
#438Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 11/14/17 at 10:42am

The line is "hack". I can't imagine that it would be flubbed this late in the run but anything can happen I guess.

Nice to know that TDF seating isn't always in the balcony. I won't take my chances but it would be nice if they clarified it on the ticket page.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#439Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 11/14/17 at 6:35pm

Just picked up my TDF ticket. Orchestra row E house left. 7 seats in.

Zamedy154
#440Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 11/14/17 at 10:34pm

Midler is an entertainer sure, but Murphy is an actress and she is incredible.

Midler is also an "actress." Perhaps you've seen some of her other work on stage, on TV or at the movies. I heard she even won a Tony, an Emmy and four Golden Globes and was nominated for two Oscars - all for her work as an actress. That would put her one nomination-turned-win away from joining the elite EGOT club. Pretty incredible, I'd say.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#441Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 11/14/17 at 11:18pm

Zamedy154 said: "Midler is an entertainer sure, but Murphy is an actress and she is incredible.

Midler is also an "actress." Perhaps you've seen some of her other work on stage, on TV or at the movies. I heard she even won a Tony, an Emmy and four Golden Globes and was nominated for two Oscars - all for her work as an actress. That would put her one nomination-turned-win away from joining the elite EGOT club. Pretty incredible, I'd say.
"

The “G” in EGOT isn’t Golden Globes....

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Zamedy154
#442Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 11/14/17 at 11:29pm

The “G” in EGOT isn’t Golden Globes....

I'm well aware. I didn't include mention of the Grammys in my post (of which Ms. Midler has won several) because it is the only non-acting category.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#443Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 11/14/17 at 11:41pm

Just got in. Murphy was fantastic.

It was my first time seeing the show onstage. (Saw the movie years ago) Thismis an absolutely beautiful production.

Gavin Creel was out. Had wanted to finally see him live but after Christian Dante White opened his mouth to sing, I forgot about him. God what a voice on that man!

I am sure Midler is very good in this. It is mostly tailor made for her. I have seen her live as well as most of her movies and own most of her music. I feel I know pretty much what I would have gotten had I seen her. And it would have felt a bit more like "an event" and the Bette Midler show to me. I love Bette, she is an icon, but am so glad I saw Ms. Murphy in this. I had a smile on my face for almost the entire evening!

The omly negative were the people behind me talking during the first part of the overture before I turned and glared at them and the man kicking my seat constantly at the top of Act 2. I finally turned around and asked him to stop, found his wife on the phone and told her she should NOT be on her phone. Phone went off immediately and he only kicked my seat twice near the end.

Also, Bette's name is all over the merch so I did not get my usual, a magnet. However, I donated to BCEFA and got The Boys of Harmomia Gardens 2018 calendar!

Updated On: 11/14/17 at 11:41 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#444Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 12/11/17 at 9:59am

so is Donna's final show Tuesday, January 9 or is it Sunday, January 7 @ 7:30? January 9 has been removed from the schedule on both Telecharge & the show's website.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#445Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 12/11/17 at 10:15am

ACL2006 said: "so is Donna's final show Tuesday, January 9 or is it Sunday, January 7 @ 7:30? January 9 has been removed from the schedule on both Telecharge & the show's website."

January 7 @ 7:30.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dmurphyofficial/status/936322474656051205

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#446Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 12/11/17 at 10:21am

Great! Thanks! The 7th is actually easier for me to get to than the 9th. So glad I'll be able to catch her final show. BTW, there's lots of seats available for Murphy's final show.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#447Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 12/11/17 at 11:43am

I'm on the fence. If Donna's last performance was at the Sunday matinee, I wouldn't hesitate.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#448Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 1/1/18 at 10:46am

There's still a ton of seats available for Donna's final show this Sunday night. I hope she gets a full house for her last show.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#449Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 1/1/18 at 12:32pm

I am very surprised that Donna Murphy is not even listed in the cast list for Hello Dolly.  (Playbill Vault)  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)