pixeltracker

Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018- Page 43

Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#1050Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 12/11/17 at 11:11am

I may be in the minority when i say this.. but am I the only one who thinks this is a boring cast?, I mean sure there are very talanted but I feel like they dropped the ball on this one.

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#1051Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 12/11/17 at 12:34pm

Bwayfan292 said: "I may be in the minority when i say this.. but am I the only one who thinks this is a boring cast?, I mean sure there are very talanted but I feel like they dropped the ball on this one."

I don't think it's a boring cast at all. An accomplished lead actress who's going to make her first major musical debut after being talk of the town just a few years ago for a hotly anticipated production which never saw light of the day, an accomplished actor (and younger than expected- which I think would be a very interesting take on the character) as Prof Higgins who's also making his NY stage debut, a non-white Freddy. And most importantly, Tony-winning NORBERT LEO BUTZ who was on no one's dreamcast list but is absolutely perfect for the role. The posters look beautiful, the creative team is pretty flawless.

We said similar things when Hello, Dolly! announced its cast and that show is filling to capacity, wasn't "boring" at all, and is toast of the town. I expect this show to exceed (what are already extremely high) expectations.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#1052Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 12/11/17 at 1:14pm

Most of Sher’s other musicals haven’t had “flashy” casts.

In SOUTH PACIFIC, O’Hara, Burstein, and Morrison had Tony noms, but Paolo Szot and Loretta Ables Sayer were both unknown.

Aside from Watanabe and O’Hara, THE KING & I did not have a starry cast. Same with FIDDLER.

And the only people with prior Tony nominations at the time of PIAZZA opening were Michael Berresse and Patti Cohenhour in supporting roles (and it was Sher and Guettel’s Bway debuts).

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#1054Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 2/27/18 at 2:07pm

I'm very excited for Ambrose. Loved this quote from featuring Sher's thoughts.

"Would a flashier name have made a difference in the financing? “Yes,” Mr. Sher said. “You need to have a big, giant star to carry those things in that environment.” But he didn’t want a big, giant star. He wanted Ms. Ambrose. “She could sing it, she could act it. She had all the heart you need,” he said."

I trust Sher and think this will be the most fantastic revival. 

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#1055Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 2/27/18 at 2:12pm

Nice to see some photos of the rehearsal.

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#1056Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 2/27/18 at 2:29pm

LesWickedly said: "I'm very excited for Ambrose. Loved this quote from featuring Sher's thoughts.

"Would a flashier name have made a difference in the financing? “Yes,” Mr. Sher said. “You need to have a big, giant star to carry those things in that environment.” But he didn’t want a big, giant star. He wanted Ms. Ambrose. “She could sing it, she could act it. She had all the heart you need,” he said."

"

Wasn’t he referring to FUNNY GIRL falling apart in that quote? Or did I misread it?

Regardless, it’s a fantastic article and I’m excited to see Ambrose take on this role. 

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#1057Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 2/27/18 at 2:35pm

SomethingPeculiar said: "LesWickedly said: "I'm very excited for Ambrose. Loved this quote from featuring Sher's thoughts.

"

Wasn’t he referring to FUNNY GIRL falling apart in that quote? Or did I misread it?

Regardless, it’s a fantastic article and I’m excited to see Ambrose take on this role.
"

I believe he was talking about Funny Girl.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#1058Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 2/27/18 at 4:14pm

My apologies! Was skimming the article at work and was looking for talk about her performance and just assumed that was it. Still very excited!

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#1059Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 2/28/18 at 2:09pm

I am incredibly excited to see Lauren Ambrose tackle on Eliza. This quote really cemented what I already felt:

"She knows that Eliza can come across as merely sassy, spunky, cute. She knows that the ending can seem like a surrender, not a meeting of equals. She won’t let that happen."

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#1060Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 2/28/18 at 2:54pm

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "I am incredibly excited to see Lauren Ambrose tackle on Eliza. This quote really cemented what I already felt:

"She knows that Eliza can come across as merely sassy, spunky, cute. She knows that the ending can seem like a surrender, not a meeting of equals. She won’t let that happen."
"

I'm very, very happy to hear this! It's encouraging to hear how Lauren Ambrose is approaching the character, especially considering concerns about how the ending might come across in today's age of #TimesUp. 

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#1061Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 3/3/18 at 11:00pm

In just 12 days, Bartlett Sher's revival of My Fair Lady will open at the Vivian Beaumont Theater for previews. The excitement I have for this revival is off the charts. smiley

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#1062Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 3/4/18 at 7:52am

I have been a true believer in this casting.  But reading the Times feature something new and thrilling occurs to me. 

If there is something risky, courageous and throwing caution to the wind about the idea of Lauren as Eliza, might not these risks splendidly resonate with the against all odds venture at the core of My Fair Lady?

If Ambrose triumphs as Eliza it just might uncannily evoke the triumph (Henry's or Eliza's?  that is the question) of turning a flower girl into a duchess. 

There might be magic, not only in seeing a gifted actor like Ambrose shine in a role many doubt she could pull off, but in embracing the parallels at play in the scenes of this MY FAIR LADY and those at play beyond them.

Updated On: 3/4/18 at 07:52 AM

Musical Master
#1063Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 3/6/18 at 10:25pm

Check out this Playbill article, it not only talks about Sher's idea for Eliza and Henry to be cast with actors closer in age than previously before, and him having the show open during the time of #MeToo, but this quote has me excited about the design aspects: "To demonstrate the scale of Eliza’s challenge, Sher creates a world rich in disparity, juxtaposing the lives of the poor and the privileged. On the spectrum of Sher’s previous works, this production promises to skew lavish and large. “It’s a very epic piece,” Sher says, calling it the most demanding work he’s ever staged at Lincoln Center Theater, where the show begins previews March 15."

http://www.playbill.com/article/bartlett-sher-directs-my-fair-lady-for-the-metoo-era

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#1064Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 3/6/18 at 10:46pm

I know this is going to be amazing. I'm so excited.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#1065Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 3/6/18 at 11:15pm

I cannot wait!!!!!

BroadwayConcierge
#1066Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 3/6/18 at 11:18pm

This has been my most anticipated show of the season for a year now (I think they actually announced the production a year ago this week!). So stoked we're just over a week away.

Can. Not. Wait.

Lindsay is a goddess
#1067Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 3/6/18 at 11:24pm

This is really gonna be the event of the season. Bart Sher just has such a talent for taking classical musicals and bringing out themes that resonate with modern audiences. And let's face it, with all the recent disappointments, we could all use a success.

Musical Master
#1068Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 3/8/18 at 5:23pm

Here's this LCT blog with set designer Michael Yeargan and how this show is the most challenging he's ever done.

http://www.lct.org/explore/blog/looking-london-michael-yeargan/

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#1069Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 3/9/18 at 11:34am

Not to make assumptions about whether this production will be good or amazing (I'm leaning towards that it will be), but just reading the pieces show me how much Sher works to understand the material inside-out but understands what in the piece would resonate with modern audiences while also bringing integrity to the original playwright by showcasing those themes head-on. It seems wildly different from what I'm hearing about Jack O'Brien's take on and whole conception of Carousel but maybe he'll work it out in the end.

natashalost
#1070Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 3/9/18 at 4:31pm

I'm very impartial because I love Benanti and absolutely love to see her in this role. I'm not super familiar with the show but from what I do know I think Soo would be a good choice as well.

Does anyone think Kate Baldwin could do it? I think she has the range and is funny as hell in Hello Dolly!

BroadwayConcierge
#1071Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 3/9/18 at 4:38pm

natashalost, you know they’ve cast an Eliza already, right? The show starts next week. Lol.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#1072Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 3/9/18 at 4:45pm

natashalost said: "I'm very impartial because I love Benanti and absolutelylove to see her in this role. I'm not super familiar with the show but from what I do know I think Soo would be a good choice as well."

It sort of sounds like you're "partial" because you love Benanti.

natashalost
#1073Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 3/9/18 at 5:01pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "natashalost, you know they’ve cast an Eliza already, right? The show starts next week. Lol."

Yes! I was talking about a replacement for Ambrose since she'll leave eventually. I know I'm late to this thread but I just wanted to but my two cents in on casting ideas for Eliza replacements. I'm very excited to see Ambrose in this part as well!

Also sorry about the grammar error in my last reply Scotty. My mistake!

Musical Master
#1074Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 3/11/18 at 1:29pm

It's finally official, I'm going to see the afternoon show on May 30th when I stay in NYC for a three day trip. Hurrah! :)

Updated On: 3/11/18 at 01:29 PM