THE GREATEST SHOWMAN

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#25THE GREATEST SHOWMAN
Posted: 6/28/17 at 9:20am

Valentina3 said: "That should be your indication that you shouldn't trust their opinion. I liked La La Land on a very superficial "it's cute" but seriously overhyped way. I think most folks on this board agree with that."

and some people thought it was a cinematic achievement. just because you don't like something doesn't mean that people who do aren't to have their opinions trusted. wtf

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#26THE GREATEST SHOWMAN
Posted: 6/28/17 at 9:20am

KEALA SETTLE!! She sounds fabulous.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Liza's Headband
#27THE GREATEST SHOWMAN
Posted: 6/28/17 at 9:33am

Beyond thrilling. Can't wait! 

The Other One
#28THE GREATEST SHOWMAN
Posted: 6/28/17 at 10:24am

Jackman's movies are usually fussed over like the second coming before they are released, but, outside of the X-Men franchise, they are all but forgotten within a week or two.

Maybe this one will be different, he's a likable star, but look at his track record.

Updated On: 6/28/17 at 10:24 AM

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#29THE GREATEST SHOWMAN
Posted: 6/28/17 at 10:43am

Am I the only one who finds it weird that the trailer showcases Keala Settle's vocals/possibly her showstopper of a number and yet she is not credited as an above the line principal talent? Add to that she was the the given the responsibility of posting the final portion of the sneak peek trailer. It should be noted that the trailer tag included Hugh Jackman, Zac Efron, Zendaya, and Benj Pasek/Justin Paul's joint instagram, but excluded the above the line talent of Rebecca Ferguson (Michelle Williams does not have a public instagram).

Yes I know shes not a "name" but I find it weird her name isn't even on the title card.

Liza's Headband
#30THE GREATEST SHOWMAN
Posted: 6/28/17 at 10:45am

This is her first movie ever.  That's not weird at all. 

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#31THE GREATEST SHOWMAN
Posted: 6/28/17 at 10:46am

Valentina3 said: "Not to mention, the cast can actually sing. Michelle Williams is probably the weakest link, and she's a better singer than both Emma Stone and whatshisface."

Having seen both in Cabaret, I'd argue that Stone sounded better live than Williams. But I'd agree that Stone's vocals in La La Land were lackluster considering I thought she had a strong, pleasant voice in the theater.

"

JennH
#32THE GREATEST SHOWMAN
Posted: 6/28/17 at 10:51am

I keep forgetting this is coming, proven by how I didn't even know Keala was in it. This looks fascinating and Keala sounds RIDICULOUS in the best way.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#33THE GREATEST SHOWMAN
Posted: 6/28/17 at 10:57am

Having seen both in Cabaret, I'd argue that Stone sounded better live than Williams. But I'd agree that Stone's vocals in La La Land were lackluster considering I thought she had a strong, pleasant voice in the theater.

You ARE aware that the character of Sally Bowles in CABARET is a third-rate singer in a seedy Berlin club.  The role description does not ask for nor require a great singer.  This is why countless of non-singing actresses have played the role (including Jill Haworth in the original 1966 Broadway production and Natasha Richardson in the 1998 revival).  A few have even intentionally sang inadequately/bad to suit the character (including Susan Egan who asked that her keys being lowered so it was an effort to sing).   Many, including myself, are always amused when people compare the singing by actresses playing Sally when the role doesn't require a great voice.  

jo
#34THE GREATEST SHOWMAN
Posted: 6/28/17 at 11:06am

I do like that the first trailer emphasizes the dramatic narrative of Barnum's life, before it segues into the dazzle and spectacle aspects of his showbusiness career!

Re Jackman's non-XMen movies -- Les Miserables ( for which he got his Oscar nod),  Chris Nolan's The Prestige, Denis Villeneuve's Prisoners, Darren Aronofsky's The Fountain ( now a cult favorite), even Kate and Leopold, also with James Mangold are favorites with many.

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#35THE GREATEST SHOWMAN
Posted: 6/28/17 at 11:23am

That song was pretty awful....dunno how this film is gonna fare at the box office.

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#36THE GREATEST SHOWMAN
Posted: 6/28/17 at 11:32am

When I saw the rows of accountants in a dreary "factory" of an office and Hugh looking glum about the repetition of his job, I expected him to start singing "I Wanna Be a Oroducer." :) 

The trailer looks great, but yet again, Hollywood is marketing this as a straight film and not a movie musical. After recent successes, i.e. La La Land, Into the Woods, you'd think H'wood but be less shy about marketing a film for what it really is. 

a-mad
#37THE GREATEST SHOWMAN
Posted: 6/28/17 at 11:43am

PatrickDC said: "When I saw the rows of accountants in a dreary "factory" of an office and Hugh looking glum about the repetition of his job, I expected him to start singing "I Wanna Be a Oroducer." :) 

The trailer looks great, but yet again, Hollywood is marketing this as a straight film and not a movie musical. After recent successes, i.e. La La Land, Into the Woods, you'd think H'wood but be less shy about marketing a film for what it really is. 

I thought the same thing initially... but I'm guessing they'll do another trailer closer to the film's release that will feature more snippets of the original songs with the actors singing them... That seems to be the MO of studios lately with musicals - keep it simple for the teaser trailer then open it up for the actual trailer closer to the release date.  That's my guess at least.

"

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#38THE GREATEST SHOWMAN
Posted: 6/28/17 at 11:46am

I truly wish they would have gone the "and introducing Keala Settle!" route because they used her voice so much in the trailer. But alas, I don't know how big of a part she really has.

RJ14
#39THE GREATEST SHOWMAN
Posted: 6/28/17 at 11:48am

I'm not feeling the style of music they are going for. I was hoping for more classical- sounding tunes instead of this modern pop rock Pasek and paul do. 

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#40THE GREATEST SHOWMAN
Posted: 6/28/17 at 12:08pm

SweetLips said: "It's easier to be a critic than a creative."

Yes, and both are very respectable.

Judging by the trailers, which reveal every imaginable worn out cliche one might expect from the material, there's little surprise that much of the response to the screenings has been negative.

"

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#41THE GREATEST SHOWMAN
Posted: 6/28/17 at 12:35pm

I like the modern sound. Hoping it has a MOULIN ROUGE effect.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#42THE GREATEST SHOWMAN
Posted: 6/28/17 at 12:37pm

This trailer makes me simultaneously super excited and super apprehensive!!

the visuals look stunning and Keala sounds awesome, but the song is pretty generic for the "theme tune" that leads the first trailer, and i agree that the amount of cheesey show biz cliches looks to be through the roof.

that being said, trailers are usually manipulatively edited so I find it hard to write it off just based on this! I'll be at my local movie theatre Christmas time to see this for sure (Assuming Christmas gets it a wide release which La La Land didn't receive until mid Jan).

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#43THE GREATEST SHOWMAN
Posted: 6/28/17 at 12:43pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "You ARE aware that the character of Sally Bowles in CABARET is a third-rate singer in a seedy Berlin club.  The role description does not ask for nor require a great singer.  This is why countless of non-singing actresses have played the role (including Jill Haworth in the original 1966 Broadway production and Natasha Richardson in the 1998 revival).  A few have even intentionally sang inadequately/bad to suit the character (including Susan Egan who asked that her keys being lowered so it was an effort to sing).   Many, including myself, are always amused when people compare the singing by actresses playing Sally when the role doesn't require a great voice. "

Yes, I AM aware, thank you. That doesn't negate the fact that I thought Stone had a stronger singing voice (yet sounded weak in La La Land) than Williams. Not sure where the condescension is coming from; even between two "non-singers" one can sound better than the other. I got the feeling that Stone and Williams were singing at their full ability, unlike Susan Egan. 

mamaleh
#44THE GREATEST SHOWMAN
Posted: 6/28/17 at 3:36pm

I really liked that song. It's bright and uplifting. If it's any indication of the rest of the score, I think the soundtrack will become popular.  And I liked the look of the trailer.  Great to see Hugh Jackman in full showman guise. And where else can you see Keala Settle as the Bearded Lady?  Can't wait to see the movie. 

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#45THE GREATEST SHOWMAN
Posted: 6/28/17 at 3:50pm

Just looked at the cast list on Wikipedia and IMDB, and how fun to see Diahann Carroll's name there, as Joice. I also see Will Swenson but both lists don't give a character for him. Anyone know what part he's playing? 

jo
#46THE GREATEST SHOWMAN
Posted: 6/28/17 at 7:19pm

IdinaBellFoster said: "KEALA SETTLE!! She sounds fabulous.

"

Check out this link -- lyrics for THIS IS ME, with the trailer ( upper right-hand corner). Best viewed together.  Makes sense why Keala's song was used for the first trailer.

https://genius.com/Keala-settle-this-is-me-lyrics

Clyde15
#47THE GREATEST SHOWMAN
Posted: 6/28/17 at 7:36pm

I have to say I'm so excited for this movie. Just from this one trailer the music sounds fantastic. I cannot wait to hear more of it!

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#48THE GREATEST SHOWMAN
Posted: 6/28/17 at 7:40pm

Seems many of these roles, like Keala Settle as The Bearded Woman, are bit parts so a title credit is unmerited along with the leads.  I feel it's safe to assume they are not featured roles regardless that she sings lead on a song.  Look at the same amount of bit parts in Luhrman's MOULIN ROUGE that were featured in solo spots but weren't in the main credits of the film.  

VintageSnarker
#49THE GREATEST SHOWMAN
Posted: 6/28/17 at 8:23pm

It's not working for me right now. It seems to want to sell a Shrek-style message but all the focus is on conventionally attractive and seemingly untroubled Zendaya and Zac Efron (and to a lesser extent Hugh Jackman and his conventionally attractive, happy, and healthy family). This trailer makes it seem like the "freak" characters are props. Also the look of it isn't committing to something weird or gritty or garish like Moulin Rouge but it's also not quite as flashy or glossy as a more classic movie musical. So right now it just seems bland.