Bright Star in LA

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#25Bright Star in LA
Posted: 9/14/17 at 5:00pm

Please let her liking this tweet be a sign Bright Star in LA

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

reginula Profile Photo
reginula
#26Bright Star in LA
Posted: 10/18/17 at 4:10pm

EXCLUSIVE: First Look at Carmen Cusack and Company in BRIGHT STAR Onstage in Los Angeles

(I'd love to hear your experience if you've seen it!)

Alessio2
#27Bright Star in LA
Posted: 10/18/17 at 5:55pm

reginula said: "EXCLUSIVE: First Look at Carmen Cusack and Company in BRIGHT STAR Onstage in Los Angeles

(I'd love to hear your experienceif you've seen it!)
"

The physical production looks identical to the Broadway one...can't wait to see this at Ahmanson next month! Anyone here seen it yet?

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#28Bright Star in LA
Posted: 10/18/17 at 6:06pm

Saw it this past Sunday and wow. The show isn't perfect, but I absolutely adore the score and Carmen Cusack. She is such an immense talent and I'm so happy I was able to see her in this role. It's a great show and such a good night. I had known the Act 1 closer and I really do not like it. It's just so done in such a cheesy way and is almost laughable, removing the shock from it. Other than that, the show is fantastic and so is the cast. If you get a chance, you must go for Cusack and the score. 

bear88
#29Bright Star in LA
Posted: 10/18/17 at 9:53pm

On the Ahmanson, I agree with GalvestonPS. I liked my front mezzanine seats a lot. They were a few rows back, but anything close to the overhang is good. Rear orchestra might be fine, but I got stuck way in the back at the show I attended. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#30Bright Star in LA
Posted: 10/18/17 at 11:27pm

Cusack is a friggin' star. I didn't see this in LA, but I'd be there multiple times if I could. Just LOVE her singing this score. GO GO GO. And she's a brilliant actress. I hope her new leading man is as good as her Broadway one.

mlsheehan Profile Photo
mlsheehan
#31Bright Star in LA
Posted: 10/19/17 at 12:36am

My husband and I saw this last Saturday, and we both loved it.  I really didn't know the plot, but I did read some of the criticism of the show.  It was one of the best staged shows I've seen and Carmen Cusack was wonderful - terrific voice and acting chops to boot.  She was the reason that we went, and we were not disappointed.  The entire cast was excellent.  In my 40 years of theatre going, one of the most enjoyable evenings in the theatre.

Was it the best show I've seen? No, the show itself has some problems, but it was extremely well realized and a heartfelt show.  Really top notch production in my book.  

Updated On: 10/19/17 at 12:36 AM

Call_me_jorge
#32Bright Star in LA
Posted: 10/19/17 at 7:42am

Has Steve or Edie been in attendance yet? 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

reginula Profile Photo
reginula
#33Bright Star in LA
Posted: 10/19/17 at 3:12pm

I got Orchestra Row R tickets :O Hope it was a smart choice.

Thank you so much for sharing your stories from the show!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#34Bright Star in LA
Posted: 10/19/17 at 4:13pm

Anyone have details about the tour?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

reginula Profile Photo
reginula
#35Bright Star in LA
Posted: 10/19/17 at 5:11pm

ACL2006 said: "Anyone have details about the tour?"

Playbill has the following dates:

Los Angeles, California (Ahmanson Theatre)
October 11–November 19

San Francisco, California (Curran Theater)
November 28–December 17

Salt Lake City, Utah (Simmons Pioneer Memorial Theatre)
January 12–27, 2018

Houston, Texas (Theatre Under the Stars)
March 13–25

Worcester, Massachusetts (The Hanover Theatre)
April 12–15

Raleigh, North Carolina (Duke Energy Center)
April 17–22

New Haven, Connecticut (Shubert Theatre)
April 26–29

Dallas Texas (Winspear Opera House)
June 12–24

Charlotte, North Carolina (Belk Theater)
June 26–July 1

NYfanfromCA Profile Photo
NYfanfromCA
#36Bright Star in LA
Posted: 10/19/17 at 5:27pm

I'll be seeing this when it comes to San Francisco.  I only got tickets because of Carmen Cusack.  Sounds like it will be a great show.

Updated On: 10/19/17 at 05:27 PM

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#37Bright Star in LA
Posted: 10/19/17 at 5:30pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Has Steve or Edie been in attendance yet?"

SInce METEOR SHOWER is in rehearsals in NYC, I’m not sure about Steve attending, as he might be tailoring the play in anticipation of previews.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

BalconyClub Profile Photo
BalconyClub
#38Bright Star in LA
Posted: 10/19/17 at 6:49pm

This will be my third time seeing the great Carmen Cusack.  She played Chicago in the uneven tryout of First Wives Club.  I caught Bright Star from the balcony at the Cort in NYC, and very much enjoyed the banjo pickin and star turn by Carmen.  Seeing the Ahmanson performance from a mezzanine front row seat on Thursday, Nov 2.

Call_me_jorge
#39Bright Star in LA
Posted: 10/19/17 at 6:58pm

reginula said: "ACL2006 said: "Anyone have details about the tour?"

Playbill has the following dates:

Los Angeles, California (Ahmanson Theatre)
October 11–November 19

San Francisco, California (Curran Theater)
November 28–December 17

Salt Lake City, Utah (Simmons Pioneer Memorial Theatre)
January 12–27, 2018

Houston, Texas (Theatre Under the Stars)
March 13–25

Worcester, Massachusetts (The Hanover Theatre)
April 12–15

Raleigh, North Carolina (Duke Energy Center)
April 17–22

New Haven, Connecticut (Shubert Theatre)
April 26–29

Dallas Texas (Winspear Opera House)
June 12–24

Charlotte, North Carolina (Belk Theater)
June 26–July 1
"

There seems to be a ton of breaks. Including the whole month of May. So I wonder if they still have more stops to announce.

bear88
#40Bright Star in LA
Posted: 10/20/17 at 1:46am

NYfanfromCA said: "I'll be seeing this when it comes to San Francisco. I only got tickets because of Carmen Cusack. Sounds like it will be a great show."

This is one of the few shows I'm probably only interested in attending because of an individual performer who I have never seen before. I know a lot of people like the musical, or at least the score, but reading so much praise for Cusack's performance during the Broadway run has swayed me - at least enough to snag rush tickets and talk my wife into seeing it.

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#41Bright Star in LA
Posted: 10/20/17 at 3:17am

thoroughly enjoyed this, surprisingly so.  One of my favorites in fact.

Carmine gives a star making performance - i will admit to have been a huge fan of edie brickell back in the day yet somehow i had no desire to see the show either in San Diego or NYC.

So glad i caught the show - audience loved it, theatricality and all.   i found it compelling, heartfelt and one of my favorites i had ever seen at the Ahmanson in the past 20 years.

Go see this, now.  

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#42Bright Star in LA
Posted: 10/20/17 at 1:08pm

I guess I should have asked if anyone had more info on the tour. So many gaps in the schedule. Only a week in January, nothing in February or May. Very odd.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

reginula Profile Photo
reginula
#43Bright Star in LA
Posted: 10/20/17 at 1:20pm

@ACL2006 I apologize. From what I read on what I think was the LA Times, at the moment Carmen is only contracted to do LA, SF and Salt Lake City, if that helps. 

reginula Profile Photo
reginula
#44Bright Star in LA
Posted: 10/21/17 at 1:53am

Opening night was today and both Steve and Edie were there. https://instagram.com/p/BafoSEjlwUC/

reginula Profile Photo
reginula
#45Bright Star in LA

Opening night was today and both Steve and Edie were there. https://instagram.com/p/BafoSEjlwUC/

reginula Profile Photo
reginula
#45Bright Star in LA

#46Bright Star in LA
Posted: 10/21/17 at 7:17pm

Saw this last night and really enjoyed it.

Why wasn't this a bigger success on Broadway?  Was it just unlucky to open in the same season as Hamilton?  I would've thought Steve Martin's name would have sold more tickets.  Was it just not marketed well enough?  I admit that I had no idea what it was about going into it.

What are the criticisms of the show people have mentioned?  I did find some of the lyrics somewhat pedestrian, and I did guess the big twist early on in the show.  But I was able to overlook those things and had quite an enjoyable night at the theatre.  Carmen Cusack is a revelation.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#47Bright Star in LA
Posted: 10/21/17 at 7:27pm

A friend who saw the production on Broadway and then again out in Los Angeles said he actually thought the show works a little bit better in the larger Ahmanson theater. The reason he stated I thought was kind of interesting; he thought the plot twist which seemed predictable and a little contrived in the intimate Cort theatre somehow worked when the stage and space were a little bigger- a little more epic. 

The show was a delightful surprise when I saw the first preview in New York. I’m glad people are enjoying it in the West Coast. I hope we get it in London at some point.

Gaps in the schedule may indicate there are additional cities that just haven’t been announced yet.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#48Bright Star in LA
Posted: 10/21/17 at 10:45pm

Perhaps there will be a cast change after January? I wonder if some of the others are only contracted through January? Seems like it gives them enough time to rehearse a new cast for the later dates. 

I think it was a combo of everything: Hamilton hype, bland marketing (pretty image, but maybe a little generic), and it wasn't exactly the most "diverse" cast, maybe making it feel dated or bland. I loved it on Broadway, and I was in the 3rd row. I figured out the plot twist, but that didn't ruin my enjoyment because waiting Carmen react to it was incredible. 

Videos