pixeltracker

JERSEY BOYS Will Return to NY for Off-Bway Run - Page 2

JERSEY BOYS Will Return to NY for Off-Bway Run

bear88
#25JERSEY BOYS Will Return to NY for Off-Bway Run
Posted: 8/10/17 at 2:27pm

I assume it will do just fine. My wife has seen it 4 times, 3 with me, because she enjoys the group and likes the musical. (I think she's a little burnt out on it now after seeing it on its LA tour stop in June, but part of the problem is that our lottery tickets were pretty far away.) If they run the show on days and times that don't conflict with more popular shows, they ought to do OK. Updated On: 8/10/17 at 02:27 PM

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#26JERSEY BOYS Will Return to NY for Off-Bway Run
Posted: 8/10/17 at 3:08pm

JSquared2 said: "Itonlytakesajourney said: "Are they really doing this? The show literally just closed earlier this year. Why would I pay to see a downsized production of a show that closed seven months ago??

Umm... maybe because it's not all about you?

It isn't. Wasn't trying to make it sound like that, there are lots of people tired of Jersey Boys -\_(?)_/-. I'm sure this'll find its audience, but I just think it's a cheap thing to do? 

bear88
#27JERSEY BOYS Will Return to NY for Off-Bway Run
Posted: 8/10/17 at 3:23pm

It's a business. If they put on a lousy version of the show, it might not do well. But it's a jukebox musical, probably the template of its kind, and running it off-Broadway in a smaller house as even more of a concert doesn't seem like a non-starter of an idea. It's not like the show doesn't have an audience.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#28JERSEY BOYS Will Return to NY for Off-Bway Run
Posted: 8/10/17 at 3:26pm

I wonder if this will hurt Bronx Tale's sales at all. They've sort of been marketing it as "the thing you can see instead of Jersey Boys" 

VintageSnarker
#29JERSEY BOYS Will Return to NY for Off-Bway Run
Posted: 8/10/17 at 3:35pm

I guess it makes more sense than Motown coming back? I'm curious what ticket prices will be like. I don't see it hurting A Bronx Tale too much (even if all the people who were going to see ABT went to Jersey Boys that night it wouldn't be that many tickets, ABT will still be the bigger production, a lot of people probably already saw the original run) but you never know.

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#30JERSEY BOYS Will Return to NY for Off-Bway Run
Posted: 8/10/17 at 3:35pm

JBroadway said: "I wonder if this will hurt Bronx Tale's sales at all. They've sort of been marketing it as "the thing you can see instead of Jersey Boys" 

Funny you mention that. In Shubert Alley, there's A Bronx Tale poster saying "A combination of Jersey Boys and West Side Story". I definitely think when people find out that Jersey Boys is back, they'll drop Bronx Tale cold. Why see the show marketing itself as a mashup of it and a classic when you can see the real thing?

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#31JERSEY BOYS Will Return to NY for Off-Bway Run
Posted: 8/10/17 at 3:41pm

JBroadway said: "I wonder if this will hurt Bronx Tale's sales at all. They've sort of been marketing it as "the thing you can see instead of Jersey Boys" 

"

Since Jersey Boys and Bronx Tale are both produced by The Dodgers, they probably aren't too concerned. I bet Bronx Tale will probably play through January and then enjoy some time on the road and regionally. 

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#32JERSEY BOYS Will Return to NY for Off-Bway Run
Posted: 8/10/17 at 3:45pm

I think it will tap into the TKTS crowd which supplies alot of A Bronx Tale's audience - the audience who likes to relive this subject matter would also probably rather re-listen to top ten hits than a new score. It may also tap into some of Beautiful's audience.  It will certainly test out the size of the 50's/60's inclined crowd.

"

Up In One

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#33JERSEY BOYS Will Return to NY for Off-Bway Run
Posted: 8/10/17 at 5:37pm

It may very well be a great strategy with the other Jersey Boy playing at the Kerr Theater this fall. 

Margo319
#34JERSEY BOYS Will Return to NY for Off-Bway Run
Posted: 8/10/17 at 8:11pm

Is this wanted by people?  Perhaps it be like an Avenue Q thing and just run forever.  

Alex Kulak2
#35JERSEY BOYS Will Return to NY for Off-Bway Run
Posted: 8/10/17 at 8:18pm

Let. This. Freaking. Show. Die. Already.

Margo319
#36JERSEY BOYS Will Return to NY for Off-Bway Run
Posted: 8/10/17 at 9:45pm

laughHAHA.  That made me laugh.  Never saw, never interested.  And the movie of it?  Heard it was a SH!T SHOW.

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#37JERSEY BOYS Will Return to NY for Off-Bway Run
Posted: 8/10/17 at 10:13pm

I really like New World Stages so I think it's disappointing to see this occupy one of the theatres there instead of some original new shows.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#38JERSEY BOYS Will Return to NY for Off-Bway Run
Posted: 8/10/17 at 10:24pm

I think it's great! Having this running there and Avenue Q will only help the smaller shows struggling to find an audience at New World. More foot traffic is good. 

I find it interesting that basically all of the companies of Jersey Boys shut down around the same time. Vegas, London, NYC. Kind of weird they just pulled the plug on all of them.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#39JERSEY BOYS Will Return to NY for Off-Bway Run
Posted: 8/12/17 at 7:39pm

Alex Kulak2 said: "Let. This. Freaking. Show. Die. Already."

Aren't the regional rights out? Jersey Boys never say die!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#40JERSEY BOYS Will Return to NY for Off-Bway Run
Posted: 8/12/17 at 10:05pm

I’ve never seen the show. All my friends (including a number of Theatre snobs) that have seen it loved it...some, surprisingly so. I guess it’s like me having a great time at Mamma Mia years ago when I was dragged to it...

I hope audiences will find it off-Broadway. I guess tourists found Avenue Q off-Broadway, so maybe tourists will discover off-Broadway with this, too.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#41JERSEY BOYS Will Return to NY for Off-Bway Run
Posted: 8/12/17 at 11:31pm

I think the more commercial successes off-Broadway, the better. Beefs up the marketplace for other shows to come in. Not every show belongs on broadway. 

wish i were here2 Profile Photo
wish i were here2
#42JERSEY BOYS Will Return to NY for Off-Bway Run
Posted: 11/26/17 at 11:11am

Has anyone caught it off-broadway yet? Any major differences from broadway? 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#43JERSEY BOYS Will Return to NY for Off-Bway Run
Posted: 11/26/17 at 11:50am

I'm assuming it's been scaled down much like the current non-equity tour.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

broadwayguy2
#44JERSEY BOYS Will Return to NY for Off-Bway Run
Posted: 11/26/17 at 1:20pm

The current tour is Equity.

LizzieCurry
#45JERSEY BOYS Will Return to NY for Off-Bway Run
Posted: 11/27/17 at 11:16am

wish i were here2 said: "Has anyone caught it off-broadway yet? Any major differences from broadway?"

Not really — they definitely have fewer set pieces and double-up a lot of what exists (Lorraine's bed is the couch in Oh What a Night, etc), and the cast is smaller, which also makes that doubling-up a little ridiculous. There is no trap door, so the mics move on and off from the wings, like on tour.

But the cast is generally fine, considering they probably have as much to remember regarding which costume to whip on and off and which piece of furniture to push on and off as much as their lines. Everyone's done the show before, but now they're tasked with doing a lot more. And I have no idea how they're going to deal with Francine also being a swing.

AntV
#46JERSEY BOYS Will Return to NY for Off-Bway Run
Posted: 2/19/18 at 5:17am

I saw the show tonight with Francine swinging for Lorraine. It worked out fine, though seemed cheap having one woman playing both, but still was okay. It's most noticeable when there's only two women singing my boyfriend's back. The line is changed from "four guys, three girls" to two girls.

The show is in good shape, the four leads are all quite good and the energy was high being in the intimate venue.

However, the lights during the number where they're playing to an audience in the back of the stage where blindingly bright. Most of the audience was shielding their eyes. And even if you tried to look it was so bright you couldn't even see them. Don't remember it being that bright on broadway, they should fix it.

Updated On: 2/19/18 at 05:17 AM

Balthazar Chasen
#47JERSEY BOYS Will Return to NY for Off-Bway Run
Posted: 2/19/18 at 3:41pm

JERSEY BOYS is finally coming to my town where I'm seeing it March 4th @ 6:30 pm. I include the time because JERSEY BOYS is going to conflict with the Oscars telecast. Although it has taken a dozen years since this musical debuted on Broadway (on my birthday, no less) I've seen THE MIDTOWN MEN with Christian Hoff, Michael Longoria, Daniel Reichard, & J. Robert Spencer TWICE already. (And I've played JERSEY BOYS's DVD over & over....)

LizzieCurry
#48JERSEY BOYS Will Return to NY for Off-Bway Run
Posted: 2/19/18 at 5:03pm

AntV said: "However, the lights during the number where they're playing to an audience in the back of the stage where blindingly bright. Most of the audience was shielding their eyes. And even if you tried to look it was so bright you couldn't even see them. Don't remember it being that bright on broadway, they should fix it."

The Dawn lighting thing has always seemed to be inconsistent from production to production. I seem to remember they were way brighter in London and Vegas than they ever were on Broadway, but that's part of why it didn't really surprise me that off-Broadway would be similarly too bright.