pixeltracker

Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway? - Page 3

Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#50Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 11/22/17 at 8:36pm

Responding to a very early post. Can you imagine the marquee:

GAGA IS EVITA!

Im sure she could pull it off... Yes?

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#51Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/15/18 at 6:05pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Will-Hal-Prince-Helmed-EVITA-Bring-Its-Rainbow-Tour-to-Broadway-20180115

Looks like chatter about this is resurfacing. 

I still wish we could hold off on another Evita revival until Lady Gaga is available and open to it. She would indeed be an amazing Eva.

mlsheehan Profile Photo
mlsheehan
#52Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/15/18 at 9:50pm

I have to say it looks great.  I loved the original staging.  However, don't those tempos seem really sloooooooooooow?

Any thought this might come to LA first?  Just like the original.  There is an opening at the Ahmanson season in May, but I don't know how long the International tour lasts ...

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#53Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/16/18 at 12:11am

I enjoyed the video too...  I didn't notice the tempos being slow, but I wasn't paying that close attention to it.

Will be curious to see where/how this tour goes.   It seems kind of strange to me that ALW and Tim Rice would abandon the changes they've made to the score, orchestrations, etc. to go back to the original.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#54Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/16/18 at 12:18am

Are they using the original orchestrations? The end of Buenos Aires sounds like it did in the revival.

LightsOut90
#55Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/16/18 at 1:41am

a thousand times why? why do we need another revival of this, i hasnt event been 10 uyears since the last production, is this an ego thing on Prince's part? this seems like a HUGE waste of time and money to bring this to Broadway 

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#56Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/16/18 at 7:35am

About a couple of days ago, I was hearing "Broadway Breakast" on Sirius XM Channel 72 with Christine Pedi.  Love her.  Buuuuuuut, when she was rattling off possible Evitas, she happened to mention Allison Janney.  I was thinking...."are you f'king kidding me?"  In the 9 to 5 recording, I notice all sorts of beautiful voices.  And then there is Janney's voice.  I mean, she doesn't sound like Katharine Hepburn or Lauren Bacall, but come on?  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#57Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/16/18 at 7:38am

Allison Janney would be a great Che but I’d be worried about the higher notes.

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#58Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/16/18 at 9:31am

TotallyEffed said: "Allison Janney would be a great Che but I’d be worried about the higher notes."

Actually LOLed.

wicked1492 Profile Photo
wicked1492
#59Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/16/18 at 10:58am

all I know is that the Che in that video could be surprisingly good for ME. dayum. HI THERE Jonathan Roxmouth.Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?

"These rabid fans...possess the acting talent to portray the hooker...Linda Eder..." -The New York Times

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#60Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/16/18 at 11:30am

For me, a lot of people talk about the original Evita being masterful, and an achievement by Prince. So, to be able to see the "original" production, would be great. 

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#61Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/16/18 at 12:48pm

I feel like we just had Evita on Broadway. 2012 was around 5 years ago and I think we need a longer break before we bring this back. But if Lady gaga was down that would be a differnt story.

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

TotallyEffed
#62Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/16/18 at 2:43pm

Lady Gaga would be sensational as Eva but I fear that Madonna's involvement in the film destroyed any chance of Gaga playing the role.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#63Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/16/18 at 2:58pm

a thousand times why? why do we need another revival of this, i hasnt event been 10 uyears since the last production, is this an ego thing on Prince's part?

After the revivals of Gypsy, Fiddler, La Cage and even Follies, a second revival of Evita this soon doesn't seem so odd.  The article says it still has to play Singapore, Australia and Japan first, so it's not going to be on Broadway that soon.  At any rate, I'd welcome the original staging any time.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#64Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/16/18 at 3:14pm

Mister Matt said: "a thousand times why? why do we need another revival of this, i hasnt event been 10 uyears since the last production, is this an ego thing on Prince's part?

After the revivals of Gypsy, Fiddler, La Cage and even Follies, a second revival of Evita this soon doesn't seem so odd. The article says it still has to play Singapore, Australia and Japan first, so it's not going to be on Broadway that soon. At any rate, I'd welcome the original staging any time.
"

How many of the recent revivals of those shows you listed actually recouped? I’m thinking maybe only La Cage. Do you think the original staging and Hal Prince’s name would be enough to make this considerable better box office than the most recent revival?

Also, most revivals only recoup if they win the Tony. Would it even qualify for Best Revival if it doesn’t stray far from the original?  

Lastly, Gaga would certainly bring in audiences, but I’m not convinced she’s perfect for this role. As someone already stated, she probably wouldn’t touch it since Madonna already has, but I’m also not convinced she’s the perfect Evita. I am not aware of her having any stage credentials. I could very well be wrong. 

Updated On: 1/16/18 at 03:14 PM

TotallyEffed
#65Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/16/18 at 3:30pm

Before dropping out of NYU to pursue her pop career, Gaga studied musical theatre at Tisch.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#66Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/16/18 at 4:06pm

How many of the recent revivals of those shows you listed actually recouped?

It doesn't really matter.  Follies has never recouped on Broadway, but it's gotten two revivals (and perhaps a third soon).  Fiddler, Gypsy and La Cage continue to get revivals whether the previous revivals recoup or not.  Generally, revivals get the same chance at recouping as new musicals.  As to whether it would be Tony-eligible or not, I think it's probable, but the Tonys rule on a case-by-case basis.  The 1996 revival of Hello Dolly was nominated because the last time that production played Broadway was 1978.  Hence, the 2006 revival of Les Miserables was deemed too close to the closing of the original production and was ineligible.

Do you think the original staging and Hal Prince’s name would be enough to make this considerable better box office than the most recent revival?

Depends on the cast, reviews and word of mouth, like any other revival.

Before dropping out of NYU to pursue her pop career, Gaga studied musical theatre at Tisch.

Well, then she has credentials for being a Tisch dropout.  I've seen her sing a few standards well (though not actually performed in character), but I have yet to see her be a convincing actress.  And we've already seen how taxing the role of Eva Peron is on an actress.  I hope they cast someone with a proven track record when it comes to stamina.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#67Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/16/18 at 4:22pm

Hopefully after the last debacle they go ahead and cast an Eva who can sing.

If she’s not blowing the roof off the place vocally, the whole enterprise is a waste of time.

Jarethan
#68Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/16/18 at 4:34pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Can we PUHLEASE get Jenn Colella asEva"

Much too old, and I hate her voice.  Please no!

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#69Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/16/18 at 4:38pm

Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway? Gaga would be perfect. I'm very rarely supportive of random popular artist celebrity casting, but this is a match made in heaven. 

And adamgreer, Evita is something we apparently totally agree on (yay!). If you don't have a powerhouse Eva nailing those vocals, you shouldn't be doing the show. It's a waste of time otherwise.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#70Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/16/18 at 6:59pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway? Gaga would be perfect. I'm very rarely supportive of random popular artist celebrity casting, but this is a match made in heaven.

And adamgreer,Evitais something we apparently totally agree on (yay!). If you don't have a powerhouse Eva nailing those vocals, you shouldn't be doing the show. It's a waste of time otherwise.
"

I know she tours extensively, but I wonder if the demands of performing 8 shows a week would be too much for her fibromyalgia. 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#71Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/16/18 at 11:11pm

AMWB said: "Miles2Go2 said: "Patti is over twice the age (68) Eva was when she died (33). Do you envision that being an issue? I ask this with all due respect to Ms. Lupone."

True, but Patti can still sing it, which is pretty remarkable and thrilling!! A one night concert event with LuPoneand Patinkin would be A M A Z I N G !!

"

I'm sure she could also sing the songs from Matilda and Annie. No one wants to see her play those nor Oldita.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#72Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/17/18 at 12:20am

Speak for yourself, blaX. I for one would LOVE to see Patti's Matilda.

I agree that Lady Gaga would be a sensational Eva, but Madonna history, paired with how challenging this role would be (even if it weren't her Broadway debut) might be good reasons she wouldn't do the project. I'm sure she'll eventually come to Broadway, and her work ethic is insane so she'll do the show justice (as long she's not miscast - like Funny Girl which some folks here are obsessed with for her).

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#73Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/17/18 at 5:24am

adamgreer said: "Hopefully after the last debacle they go ahead and cast an Eva who can sing.

If she’s not blowing the roof off the place vocally, the whole enterprise is a waste of time.
"  I agree.  I was in the audience for the first preview of the recent revival.  Elena Roger's acting and dancing skills were impressive.  Her singing.....not so much.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#74Hal Prince's EVITA Aims for Broadway?
Posted: 1/17/18 at 10:27am

I really want Ana Villafane to do it if it comes to Broadway.