pixeltracker

Will we see a MAME revival soon?- Page 2

Will we see a MAME revival soon?

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#25Will we see a MAME revival soon?
Posted: 8/15/17 at 11:25am

Haven't there been a few productions of Mame revivals that were in the works that were torpedoed by Jerry Herman himself?

I could of sworn, there was an article somewhere that said Mame won't be revived until unfortunately Mr Herman has passed, as he was way to protective of the show and all casting choices that would make producing a revival next to impossible. 

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#26Will we see a MAME revival soon?
Posted: 8/15/17 at 11:32am

Toni Collette hands down
with America Ferrera as Gooch and - reunion-stunt casting - Rachel Griffiths as Vera

jtishere
#27Will we see a MAME revival soon?
Posted: 8/15/17 at 11:43am

I could see Krakowski as Vera more than Mame. Bensnti would be a great Mame.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#28Will we see a MAME revival soon?
Posted: 8/15/17 at 12:24pm

bdn223 said: "Haven't there been a few productions of Mame revivals that were in the works that were torpedoed by Jerry Herman himself?

I could of sworn, there was an article somewhere that said Mame won't be revived until unfortunately Mr Herman has passed, as he was way to protective of the show and all casting choices that would make producing a revival next to impossible. 
"

I know he really wanted Streisand to star in the movie for theatrical release back in 2000-03, since he hated the Lucille Ball film of 1974, and wanted something 'better' to preserve the work. Somehow, through negotiations it got whittled down to a TV movie for ABC, Streisand was no longer starring but directing and producing. In the end, she wanted Cher to star - Cher was ecstatic - Herman was on board, and then he pulled the plug. That's when he said he wanted his three musicals to make a Broadway revival first - and then maybe movies. 

So here it is - 2017, we've had two poor revivals of 'La Cage' a smash hit with 'Dolly' and the only one left is 'Mame'. 

Would Cher still be interested at 71? Who knows...I think she would still be a great choice.But I still would want someone more comical in the role (I still say McCarthy) , Christine Baranski would have my vote as well. 

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#29Will we see a MAME revival soon?
Posted: 8/15/17 at 2:57pm

God I hope so. I'd just want them to keep it as a period piece. Any attempts to modernize it would be disastrous. Another vote for Christine Baranski from me.

Slightly OT, but did anyone catch "Jerry's Girls" at the York this week? I did, and Christine Pedi sang a hilarious "Man in the Moon." Then she broke my heart with "If He Walked into My Life."

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
#30Will we see a MAME revival soon?
Posted: 8/15/17 at 3:02pm

Angela Lansbury was only 39 when she went into rehearsals for MAME and hit 40 by the time it opened. What I'd like to see is an actress cast under the age of 55. What Lansbury possessed, that made her so perfect for the role, was glamour, class, beauty, sophistication an innate worldly knowledge and most important of all, a vulnerability. Baranski lacked too many of these qualities as have past stock/regional Mames I've seen over the years. So my thoughts are until one of our up and coming leading ladies grows into the role we should just put MAME on the back burner for now. And like Lansbury, that could be a current gifted film actress who enjoys doing occasional stints on Broadway. I'd love to know if Cate Blanchett sings? Or Nicole Kidman.

I think what we are now realizing is whether it's a revival of a play or musical, and with the current pricing of tickets, is that to have a lengthy sold out run you need big name stars known worldwide.    

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#31Will we see a MAME revival soon?
Posted: 8/15/17 at 4:05pm

Demitri2 said: "Angela Lansbury was only 39 when she went into rehearsals for MAME and hit 40 by the time it opened. What I'd like to see is an actress cast under the age of 55. What Lansbury possessed, that made her so perfect for the role, was glamour, class, beauty, sophistication an innate worldly knowledge and most important of all, a vulnerability. Baranski lacked too many of these qualities as have past stock/regional Mames I've seen over the years. So my thoughts are until one of our up and coming leading ladies grows into the role we should just put MAME on the back burner for now. And like Lansbury, that could be a current gifted film actress who enjoys doing occasional stints on Broadway. I'd love to know if Cate Blanchett sings? Or Nicole Kidman.

I think what we are now realizing is whether it's a revival of a play or musical, and with the current pricing of tickets, is that to have a lengthy sold out run you need big name stars known worldwide.    

"

There's always Anne Hathaway - she's 34. (She was actually my first choice, but didn't post it). A pleasant singing voice, beauty and charisma - she can do it. 

Dollypop
#32Will we see a MAME revival soon?
Posted: 8/15/17 at 4:36pm

Glenn Close as Name. Jennifer Simard as Gooch. LuPone as Vera

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#33Will we see a MAME revival soon?
Posted: 8/16/17 at 8:57am

Holy smokes, Jennifer Simard as Gooch is something I never knew I needed till now. Thank you, Dollypop (and happy belated)!

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#34Will we see a MAME revival soon?
Posted: 8/16/17 at 9:02am

Actually, I think Jackie Hoffman would be a great Gooch!  Kind of like Mamacita in 'Feud'. 

nasty_khakis
#35Will we see a MAME revival soon?
Posted: 8/16/17 at 9:23am

Jackie Hoffman should be cast in any and everything, but at 56 can she believable be pregnant as Gooch??

Make her a Vera. Or Mary Testa.

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#36Will we see a MAME revival soon?
Posted: 8/16/17 at 10:23am

I wish YOUNGER had done for Sutton Foster what Scandal did for Kerry Washington or Breaking Bad did for Brian Cranston. Sutton could be a fabulous Mame and she's the right age. 

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#37Will we see a MAME revival soon?
Posted: 8/16/17 at 10:37am

David10086, when Barbra's production company Barwood purchased the rights for "Mame" back in the spring of 1999, it was to be a tv movie, with just rumors that she would also star in it.

http://people.com/celebrity/barbra-as-auntie-mame/

Fast forward a year later, and it was announced that Barwood would only produce it.  

http://www.playbill.com/article/streisand-wont-be-mame-but-is-still-producing-tv-musical-version-com-91456

As far as Barbra wanting Cher, that's never been confirmed.  

Updated On: 8/16/17 at 10:37 AM

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#38Will we see a MAME revival soon?
Posted: 8/16/17 at 4:43pm

If Audra played Mame, they'd have to edit the title song- References to Robert E. Lee and statements like "this time the south will rise again" would not really fly if a black woman is playing Mame. 

Another Winter Profile Photo
Another Winter
#39Will we see a MAME revival soon?
Posted: 8/16/17 at 5:39pm

Soaring29 said: "If Audra played Mame, they'd have to edit the title song- References to Robert E. Lee and statements like "this time the south will rise again" would not really fly if a black woman is playing Mame."

I feel like no matter who they cast as Mame they'd have to make those changes, especially with wants going on in the country rn

Jarethan
#40Will we see a MAME revival soon?
Posted: 8/16/17 at 5:42pm

Soaring29 said: "Hmm, I don't know who could do it- Bette would fit the part really well, but I don't know. Patti and Christine could be wonderful too and Audra could maybe do it too. 

Bette would be MUCH TOO OLD for Mame.  Dolly is ageless.  Mame ages about 20 years  over the course of the show, has major dancing to do, and it would be cheating the audience if she doesn't do it.  Hell, she doesn't sing a note in the title number,but boy does she dance.  Finally, as many have acknowledged, her voice is pretty shot.  Mama's songs are harder the Dolly's, e.g. If He Walked into My Life Today.  Would be a disaster.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#41Will we see a MAME revival soon?
Posted: 8/16/17 at 6:02pm

Here are some comments from Jerry Herman (back in 2004) about what happened to the Streisand project of MAME (apparently, her pulled the plug on her).

http://variety.com/2004/legit/news/mame-up-for-grabs-1117912345/

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#42Will we see a MAME revival soon?
Posted: 8/16/17 at 6:43pm

Thanks for the link, David10086.  Yes, even Jerry thinks that Catherine Zeta-Jones would be a fantastic Mame!  And, he's right!

Have you read "But Darling I'm Your Auntie Mame."  It's a fantastic book on Auntie Mame - from book, to play, to movie, to Broadway, to movie musical and beyond.  

Updated On: 8/16/17 at 06:43 PM

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#43Will we see a MAME revival soon?
Posted: 8/17/17 at 11:21pm

According to the songwriter, he took one look at an early version of the script that had Streisand taking some of the big chorus numbers and turning them into solo spots. “She took ‘It’s Today’ and made it into a solo,” reports Herman. “A solo? It’s a party song. I don’t want to go into it.”

Oh, I wish he would 'go into it'. Imagine the criticism Streisand  would get by turning 'It's Today' and any other big chorus numbers into solos? What was she thinking at the time? 

At the time, there was another lengthier interview with Herman, in which he said she wanted to drop 'Open A New Window' from the movie - which he wouldn't allow. He compared it to dropping 'Before the Parade Passes By' in 'Hello Dolly'. 

saxpower
#44Will we see a MAME revival soon?
Posted: 8/18/17 at 9:18am

I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to get accused of not being open to color blind casting. 

The whole title number is about Mame winning over a southern plantation (including Mother Burnside,  who probably is supposed have been alive during the Civil War) despite being a Yankee.  It would require a great suspension for the seen to work with a black actress (not defending the attitudes of the time, just being realistic)

Also, the subplot with the Upson's wanting to buy a piece of property with Mame so Patrick and Gloria can have it instead of the "wrong type of people" would not make much sense.