pixeltracker

THE BAND'S VISIT Previews- Page 2

THE BAND'S VISIT Previews

epeter
#25THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/7/17 at 2:00pm

Hi Kad,

I’m so glad to hear this. Can’t wait to see it tonight! Any chance you recall the running time?

220Basswood
#26THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/7/17 at 2:36pm

To the people who watched the first preview, what did you think?  The show is not sold out and even the premium tickets are selling at reasonable prices so I have delayed purchasing tickets until I read some reviews.   For some actors I will rush out and purchase anything/everything he/she is in but I'm on the fence for this one since it doesn't have anyone that I have to see.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#27THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/7/17 at 2:45pm

220Basswood said: "To the people who watched the first preview"

First preview isn't starting for another few hours! Check back on this thread later tonight THE BAND'S VISIT Previews

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#28THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/7/17 at 4:57pm

epeter said: "Hi Kad,

I’m so glad to hear this. Can’t wait to see it tonight!Any chance you recall the running time?
"

It’s about an hour and forty with no intermission. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#29THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/7/17 at 5:17pm

I am curious how this compares to Once. Are these two shows in the same vein?

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#30THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/7/17 at 5:42pm

They’re both based on independent foreign films and both have several actors playing instruments. That’s about where the similarities end.

I’ll be there tonight. I saw it Off-Broadway and thought it could have been a serious contender if it had transferred last season. Glad it’s finally arrived on Broadway. May this be the sleeper hit of the season!

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#31THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/7/17 at 6:54pm

HeyMrMusic said: "They’re both based on independent foreign films and both have several actors playing instruments. That’s about where the similarities end.

I’ll be there tonight. I saw it Off-Broadway and thought it could have been a serious contender if it had transferred last season. Glad it’s finally arrived on Broadway.May this be the sleeper hit of the season!
"

I adored this Off-Broadway, too, but I'm glad it waited until the 2017-2018 season. I think it would have struggled to contend against such a zeitgeist juggernaut Dear Evan Hansen, not to mention Lenk would not have stood a chance against Midler.

Regardless of its awards prospects, which I agree seem very strong right out of the gate, I'm just glad this will receive a proper Broadway run with most of the original cast. I'm also dying for the cast recording!

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#32THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/7/17 at 7:45pm

Lots of merch already: three t-shirts, two hats, sweatshirt, magnet, poster, oud necklace, baton, pop socket, and you can pre-order the cast recording.

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#33THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/7/17 at 7:47pm

I was wondering about the merch this afternoon, thanks for sharing!!

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#34THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/7/17 at 7:52pm

I’ll be sitting in Row A, seat 1 of the left orchestra. Curious to know about the view. Yes it’s close, but I love sitting close. Any reports on the first few rows would be appreciated! Can’t wait to hear tonight’s reports.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#35THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/7/17 at 8:37pm

I saw it off-Broadway, and can't imagine there's partial view for this given the design? But maybe it has changed. 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#36THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/7/17 at 8:54pm

HeyMrMusic said: "Lots of merch already: three t-shirts, two hats, sweatshirt, magnet, poster, oud necklace, baton, pop socket, and you can pre-order the cast recording."

Can you post a link to where I can view this merchandise?  I’ve been looking, but to no avail. Thanks. 

jonah3500
#37THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/7/17 at 9:48pm

How was the show?

BroadwayLuv2 Profile Photo
BroadwayLuv2
#38THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/7/17 at 9:49pm

Any reports on Rush?  Where are the seat location?   How was the line? 

irishgator1
#39THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/7/17 at 10:15pm

At the stage door and the band came out to do a mini concert!

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#40THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/7/17 at 10:15pm

An hour and forty minutes of laughs, spine tingles, electric performances by the onstage band (George Abud in particular), and a star turn by Katrina Lenk.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#41THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/7/17 at 10:24pm

I'm already so excited to see this in a few weeks.

I'm most curious about the overall emotional affect of the show. Is it a laugher? A crier? Are you kind of perplexed the whole time (but along for the ride)? Is it moving? Would love to hear people's two cents on this.

bdboston
#42THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/7/17 at 10:26pm

Am interested to hear about the stage height for this one. On the perf I'm looking at getting tix for, there's availability for the first row in the mezzanine and first row in the orchestra. Any suggestions on seating would be most welcome. Thanks!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#43THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/7/17 at 10:28pm

To mean it's all about the human connection and how we're all just looking to connect with someone. And I thought it was very touching and a tearjerker, but it's not a flashy, dramatic show. It's subtle in its emotions. 

theatretenor2 Profile Photo
theatretenor2
#44THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/7/17 at 10:31pm

We enjoyed the preview tonight. At times, it felt incredibly slow. I noticed a few people leave about 3/4 of the way through. Noticed a few people looking at their watches. Having seen Dear Evan Hansen last night and Come From Away this afternoon, I don't think I was personally quite prepared for something as sedate as  TBV. I can see how this might struggle to find a mainstream audience. The performances were fantastic, especially Katrina and the band. I think I'd want to see it again when I'm not so tired to give a better opinion. 

My favorites were "The Beat of Your Heart,"Omar Sharif," Something's Different," and "Answer Me."

jonah3500
#45THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/7/17 at 10:31pm

What's the basic plot? (Please put it in spoiler bubbles!)

theatretenor2 Profile Photo
theatretenor2
#46THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/7/17 at 10:40pm

THE BAND'S VISIT Previews

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#47THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/7/17 at 10:42pm

It's a really lowkey show.  It's really not in your face.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#48THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/7/17 at 11:20pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "I'm already so excited to see this in a few weeks.

I'm most curious about the overall emotional affect of the show. Is it a laugher? A crier? Are you kind of perplexed the whole time (but along for the ride)? Is it moving? Would love to hear people's two cents on this.
"

It’s often funny, but not because it’s full of wit or jokes.  

And it’s moving without ever telegraphing it broadly. 

There’s a lot that’s unspoken or spoken very simply- largely by necessity, as the characters  are communicating in a language they aren’t comfortable with (it is established early that the Egyptians and the Israelis will speak English to each other as a common language, as neither group speaks the other’s primary language). 

It’s sad in the sense that there’s a lot of things that can’t come to pass or just don’t. There are changes that some characters want to make but they don’t or can’t. So there’s a melancholy aspect. 

But also funny and joyful things! 

It cant be nearly categorized as comedy or drama or even dramedy. It’s a piece that looks at many different people who are all stuck, and their situations are all varied. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#49THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/7/17 at 11:43pm

I thought the use of the Atlantic stage was brilliant, so I'm curious what, if anything, design was has changed here? I mean, at the Atlantic, there were no wings, no exits except for upstage center, but now with a bigger budget and a bigger space, I'm curious if they've expanded the design.