pixeltracker

Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018- Page 2

Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#25Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/25/17 at 1:10pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "everythingtaboo said: "I'll be honest, I'm still not over them nominating Kinky Boots again after it winning 3 years earlier."

It was nominated (and won) in 2014 for its Original Broadway Cast Recording. The show, but not the same production, was nominated again last year for its West End Cast Recording. Two different albums!
"

Well yes, but was there really anything that substantially different in the producing of it, except that it was recorded live? 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#26Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/25/17 at 4:22pm

dolly being nominated would be a crime on par with human trafficking.

the best albums in my opinion were DEH, Great Comet, SITPWG, Falsettos and Bubble Boy. i feel like the award will go to DEH just because it’s that type of year for Pasek & Paul (and when was the last time someone won a Grammy, Tony and Oscar all in the same year?)

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

A Canadian in NYC Profile Photo
A Canadian in NYC
#27Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/25/17 at 4:36pm

I'm listening to SITPWG as I read and write this!  I'm obsessed with it and would love to see this win the Grammy.  As much as I am gunning for Pasek & Paul to get their EGOT, the recording of DEH doesn't compare to Sunday.    That being said I'd be happy for them to win this as well.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#28Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/25/17 at 4:38pm

After eight, I’d definitely nominate Hello, Dolly if the award was for best production or show, but it’s based on the best album. It doesn’t really have to do with how good the show is. The Dolly album is just poorly produced and that I think we can all agree on.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Danielle49
#29Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/25/17 at 4:48pm

If Comet and Sunday in the Park are edged out of nominations, something's wrong. Dear Evan Hansen will be in there (and likely win) because of Pasek and Paul and the obvious hype factor. Really hoping Dave Malloy gets a Grammy in place of the Tony he should have received. It'd also be kind of beautiful to see Josh Groban get his first Grammy for this show.

Updated On: 11/25/17 at 04:48 PM

Cat Guy Profile Photo
Cat Guy
#30Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/25/17 at 4:53pm

Call_me_jorge said: "The Dolly album is just poorly produced and that I think we can all agree on."

No, we CANNOT all agree.  

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#31Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/25/17 at 5:13pm

The hate for the Dolly album is such BS. I don't love that there's only one picture in the whole booklet and that the finale is missing, but I actually really enjoy it and I think it sounds a lot like the actual show. I think the show was so great that even it's own cast album couldn't live up to the hype. I think it's all in your heads.

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#32Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/25/17 at 10:30pm

CindersGolightly said: "There will only be three slots this year, I hear."

I searched for the Grammy rules, but I remember that there is a rule that there has to be certain number of eligible recordings in a category.  The number of eligible recordings determines if there is 3 or 5 nominations.  Grammy.com used to have a pdf of the Grammy rules, but I could not find it now.

After Eight
#33Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/26/17 at 7:50am

Call_me_jorge said: "The Dolly album is just poorly produced"

The "Hello, Dolly!" score could be played on a kazoo and recorded with the sound quality of a scratched-up 78 RPM, and it would still be and sound 78 zillion times better than any of the woeful things that the critics throw superlatives at.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#34Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/27/17 at 12:18pm

The Grammy generally goes to the top-selling album, so expect it to be Dear Evan Hansen or Hello Dolly.

The Dolly album is just poorly produced and that I think we can all agree on.

When will "we all agree" (or any similar variation) ever be true?

dolly being nominated would be a crime on par with human trafficking.

No, it wouldn't.  Being a massive hit and the return of Midler would make its nomination entirely expected.

Don't forget the wildcard.  Nominations and wins have gone to albums that weren't cast recordings of the season's Broadway or Off-Broadway musicals, like Les Miserables Complete Symphonic, West Side Story studio recordings (1986 & 2015), Riverdance, Lena Horne: The Lady and Her Music, Very Warm for May, Of Thee I Sing/Let 'Em Eat Cake, Broadway the Hard Way, the McGlinn Show Boat complete recording, Sondheim: A Celebration at Carnegie Hall, Ragtime concept recording, Sweeney Todd New York Philharmonic concert.  Unless the rules have changed, don't be surprised for a nomination (and conceivable win) for the Hamilton Mixtape album.  Eligible entries had to be released between 10/1/2016 and 9/30/2017.  Hamilton Mixtape was released on 12/2/2016.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 11/27/17 at 12:18 PM

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#35Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 8:45am

Best Musical Theater Album
(For albums containing at least 51% playing time of new recordings. Award to the principle vocalist(s) and the album producer(s) of 51% or more playing time of the album. The lyricist(s) and composer(s) of a new score are eligible for an Award if they have written and/or composed a new score which comprises 51% or more playing time of the album.)

• Come From Away
      Ian Eisendrath, August Eriksmoen, David Hein, David Lai & Irene Sankoff, producers; David Hein & Irene Sankoff, composers/lyricists (Original Broadway Cast Recording)

• Dear Evan Hansen
      Ben Platt, principal soloist; Alex Lacamoire, Stacey Mindich, Benj Pasek & Justin Paul, producers; Benj Pasek & Justin Paul, composers/lyricists (Original Broadway Cast Recording)

• Hello, Dolly!
      Bette Midler, principal soloist; Steven Epstein, producer (Jerry Herman, composer & lyricist) (New Broadway Cast Recording)

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#36Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 8:48am

I can't believe Sunday in the Park with George was not nominated. I rarely agree with the Grammy Award nominees and winners for Best Musical Album, but this takes it to a whole new level.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

After Eight
#37Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 9:27am

Whew! What a relief! I'm so thrilled to find that that dreary, etiolated entity called Sunday in the Park With George wasn't nominated. Oh what a beautiful morning, oh what a beautiful day! Truly! 

Of course, I'm very glad that Hello, Dolly! was nominated, but those others? There isn't a decent melody between the two of them. I would have liked to see Anastasia and SpongeBob get those slots.

Of course, Hello, Dolly! will doubtless lose to the critics' darling of the day --- a sad joke, if ever there was one. But I'm not going to allow that depressing thought to darken my day. Right now, I'm going to revel in the bright sunshine of this morning's good news. 

rjm516
#38Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 9:31am

This is SUCH b.s. I mean we knew the Grammys were b.s. for years now but to have it continually reinforced is REALLY frustrating. Sunday and Comet were the best recordings of the year but what do the nominators actually care.

rjm516
#39Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 9:31am

This is SUCH b.s. I mean we knew the Grammys were b.s. for years now but to have it continually reinforced is REALLY frustrating. Sunday and Comet were the best recordings of the year but what do the nominators actually care.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#40Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 9:36am

What... is... the logic... in limiting this category to 3 nominees? And in limiting the Principal Soloist category when 14,000 people won the award for Hamilton a few years ago?

In any event, I'm always THRILLED when Come from Away gets any accolade whatsoever!!!

Also, congrats in advance to all but guaranteed Grammy winners Ben Platt, Benj Pasek, and Justin Paul. Sigh. After this, the DEH critical craze might finally be over?

rjm516
#41Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 9:38am

That principal soloist crap they pulled for Hamilton still makes me so angry.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#42Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 9:45am

I don’t know if Dear Evan Hansen really has it in the bag, I think Hello, Dolly! could win. I know a lot of you weren't the biggest fans of that album, but you should never underestimate a cast recording that features a three-time Grammy winner such as Bette Midler.

Pasek & Paul will at least have a chance to win for La La Land.

Updated On: 11/28/17 at 09:45 AM

Alex Kulak2
#43Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 9:54am

Geez, Pasek and Paul will have an EGOT by the end of the decade

Alex Kulak2
#44Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 9:57am

Also, i’m not the biggest Great Comet fan, but Hello Dolly getting a nomination over them is total bs.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#45Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 9:59am

I'm a little surprise no nomination for Hamilton Mixtape.  At any rate, I didn't figure on Come From Away, but if it sold more copies than Great Comet or Sunday in the Park, then it makes sense.  They're just following their usual format, which is sales-driven.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#46Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 10:00am

A beautiful production, but the DOLLY recording is dreadful compared to what it could have been.

COME FROM AWAY shouldn't be on here either. SUNDAY was robbed.

Also, if there are less than 40 eligible cast recordings, the nominee number slips to three.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

BroadwayConcierge
#47Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 10:12am

I really doubt that they nominated Bright Star and Fiddler last year for "sales" reasons...

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#48Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 10:16am

Will Pasek and Paul get an EGOT before Lin? That’s insane.

Also, while I am overwhelmed with happiness for Come From Away, my heart aches for Dave Malloy. He (and his show) deserved so much more.

BroadwayConcierge
#49Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 10:18am

ChildofEarth said: "Also, while I am overwhelmed with happiness for Come From Away, my heart aches for Dave Malloy. He (and his show) deserved so much more."

Yup. Retweet times a thousand.

Videos