pixeltracker

The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread- Page 3

The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#50BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 3:12pm

Betty was fantastic in Grey Gardens. Sure, it might not have been the warmest role, but it was very comedic and she hit all the marks. I think she will be great.

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#51BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 3:23pm

What's with all these 'elderly' dames playing and being suggested to play Dolly.

Dolly has no children to remind us she is a certain age, just a widow.

Lowering the age considerably for Dolly AND Horace would bring in a new dynamic and open up the roles to a whole new[existing] range of comedic and singing talents.

It's like the last harrah[?] of roles; play Dolly and die happy---[or exhausted].

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#52BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 3:26pm

I'm thrilled. She'll be wonderful!

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#53BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 3:31pm

Glad to hear that some think Buckley still sounds good; the last two times I heard her (last fall and in 2016), she was often flat, and her voice had what I would call an extreme barking quality. It's always been a dry, hard-edged voice, but I found it pretty unpleasant much of the time in recent hearings.

Updated On: 2/12/18 at 03:31 PM

Dollypop
#54BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 3:47pm

DAME said: "Dollypop said: "A friend of mine was an understudy for an Off Broadway comedy that Buckley was starring in. My buddy went on several times in different roles, so I saw the show quite a few times. At one performance Buckley's part was played by her understudy, who was superior to Buckley in every way.

Betty Buckley just lacks warmth and humor.
"

Dollypop: when was this? For me she has gotten warmer with age. But I can’t imagine she was castings first choice .
"

It was about 5 or 6 years ago. 

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

binau Profile Photo
binau
#55BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 4:15pm

newintown said: "Glad to hear that some think Buckley still sounds good; the last two times I heard her (last fall and in 2016), she was often flat, and her voice had what Iwould call an extreme barking quality. It's always been a dry, hard-edged voice, but I found it pretty unpleasant much of thetime in recent hearings."

I personally find her voice unrecognisable these days. In its peak (e.g., Cats, Carrie, Sunset) it is one of my favourites. It’s so dark/piercing/thrilling. I can’t imagine her then or especially now playing this role - maybe if they change the story and have Dolly convincing Horace to marry her by pulling a knife and holding it to his throat. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

brendasugarbaker
#56BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 5:02pm

hellobroadway said: "Does anyone know if this tour will stop in Atlanta?"

Our season gets announced on the 15th

Musicaldudepeter
#57BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 5:11pm

SweetLips said: "What's with all these 'elderly' dames playing and being suggested to play Dolly.

Lowering the age considerably for Dolly AND Horace would bring in a new dynamic and open up the roles to a whole new[existing] range of comedic and singing talents.

It's like the last harrah[?] of roles; play Dolly and die happy---[or exhausted].
"

There was a production in the UK a few years ago and Janie Dee (who was Phyllis in the National's Follies this year) played Dolly. She brought exactly what you've suggested to the role - a vibrancy and a sexuality that is usually missing. This is what made Streisand's Dolly so compelling to me. But yes this production seems to be latching on to this grand-dame notion. My question is - will we ever see LuPone do the role? 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#58BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 5:12pm

I certainly thought Donna Murphy had a vibrancy and sexuality to her Dolly.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#59BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 5:24pm

Did anyone here see Buckley's Dear World in 2013? That's the only Jerry Herman role I know of her playing. 

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#60BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 5:33pm

I'd slap a baby to see Lupone on the role. She's got the comedic chops and the vocals/acting. She'd rock it. But I'm not sure she'd replace, etc.

Alessio2
#61BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 5:51pm

I have great respect for Betty Buckley and her talents, but this casting choice is just bizarre and seems out of left field...I just can't see her in the role.  Also surprised she would take on a tour at this stage in her career, but I guess if the money is right!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#62BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 5:57pm

RippedMan said: "I'd slap a baby to see Lupone on the role. She's got the comedic chops and the vocals/acting. She'd rock it. But I'm not sure she'd replace, etc."

I want LuPone to close the production a la Merman, so badly. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#63BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 6:38pm

LuPone will be in London doing Company soon, so I'm not sure logistically how she could ever close this production - unfortunately!

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#64BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 6:41pm

SweetLips said: "What's with all these 'elderly' dames playing and being suggested to play Dolly.

"

What a stupid observation.  I am thrilled they are giving some of our older divas some Dolly glory.  G-d knows we do not need Idina Menzel or whatever in Hello Dolly. 

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#65BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 6:43pm

Remember when Jack O’Brien wanted to mount a production starring LuPone a few years ago? Jerry Herman axed that idea. He wanted a traditional staging, which caused O’Brien to move on, and Herman was not a fan of LuPone. According to Patti, Jerry thought she was too...ethnic for Dolly.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#66BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 6:53pm

I can tell you that as of right now, LuPone has ZERO interest of playing Dolly and unless something absolutely drastic happens to make her change her mind, it will not happen. She has made this crystal clear to people.

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#67BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 7:02pm

Love Betty, but I was hoping for Rachel York. 

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#68BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 7:03pm

Some queens!

Betty will be fantastic.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

pmensky
#69BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 7:13pm

Betty will be great.  Who would be a good Horace to her Dolly?  I think someone like Michael Mulheren would be a good match.

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#70BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 7:18pm

David10086 said: "PS -I think Christine Baranski would have been a wonderful 'Dolly'. Too bad she's not touring with it. She would have brought the warmth and humor with it."

I would absolutely love to see Baranski in the role! She could conceivably take on the role in New York since she films The Good Fight here. I've been waiting for her to make a return to the stage and what a coup it would be if it was in Dolly! (I also thought she would have made an interesting replacement for Laurie Metcalf in A Doll's House, Part 2).

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#71BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 7:20pm

Reunite her with her Triumph of Love costar F. Murray Abraham.

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#72BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 8:03pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I can tell you that as of right now, LuPone has ZERO interest of playing Dolly and unless something absolutely drastic happens to make her change her mind, it will not happen. She has made this crystal clear to people."

What people?  Who are the people that seem to know everything and are always wrong? 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#73BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 8:10pm

While it's always good to be skeptical about what we read here, Jordan typically seems to have more insider knowledge than most when it comes to these things haha (though this information could be gained simply by asking her at a stage door).

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#74BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 9:10pm

I believe she told Andy Cohen that she’d like to play the role but Herman said she’s too ethnic.