pixeltracker

Best production of RENT you've seen?

Best production of RENT you've seen?

aces25 Profile Photo
aces25
#1Best production of RENT you've seen?
Posted: 2/15/18 at 1:46pm

What's your favourite production you've seen? 

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#2Best production of RENT you've seen?
Posted: 2/15/18 at 1:55pm

For me, RENT is like A Chorus Line. I’m sure many directors could reimagine it in beautiful ways, but I adore the original staging and design so much. The costumes are iconic.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#3Best production of RENT you've seen?
Posted: 2/15/18 at 1:58pm

Ouside of the original, I absolutely loved the off-Broadway revival.

I really liked the set. For me it gave a bit more of a sense of place physically nit yet still jad that open feel that the original set had.

Loved all of the performances also and it was nice to see a lot of them move on to do the shows they have done since.

It was also nice to experience it in a smaller theater.

Just give the world Love.

BwayLB
#4Best production of RENT you've seen?
Posted: 2/15/18 at 2:26pm

The only production I've seen is the 20th anniversary tour

FosseTharp Profile Photo
FosseTharp
#5Best production of RENT you've seen?
Posted: 2/15/18 at 2:51pm

Hands down, Cromer’s production at ATC in Chicago.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#6Best production of RENT you've seen?
Posted: 2/15/18 at 4:44pm

The original. Hands downs.

CollegeDreamer
#7Best production of RENT you've seen?
Posted: 2/15/18 at 4:56pm

The 5th Avenue Theatre in Seattle did a production a few years ago, while different, I have to say I preferred it to year one of the 20th Anniversary tour. Out Tonight was AMAZING, I still remember it to this day.

Montage: https://youtu.be/LNQgfNOCuBQ

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#8Best production of RENT you've seen?
Posted: 2/15/18 at 5:06pm

OBC.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#9Best production of RENT you've seen?
Posted: 2/15/18 at 5:21pm

So far, nothing has topped the original cast in the original Broadway production.  Towards the end of its run, many cast members started playing around and turning it into an ego-driven circus with the Rentheads in the front rows at the audience behaving like it was .  It wasn't until the live filming that it started getting back on track again.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#10Best production of RENT you've seen?
Posted: 2/15/18 at 5:31pm

Mister Matt said: "It wasn't until thelive filming that it started getting back on track again."

It closed after the live filming?

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#11Best production of RENT you've seen?
Posted: 2/15/18 at 6:24pm

I was fortunate to see the OBC in May 1996, pre-Tonys, at the Nederlander.

In the years since I’ve seen the show all over the country, but it’s really hard to imagine anything topping that original experience.  It was truly transcendent for me.

mailhandler777
#12Best production of RENT you've seen?
Posted: 2/15/18 at 6:43pm

The non equity tour back in 2007-2008 is my favorite production.

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)
Updated On: 2/17/18 at 06:43 PM

Withonelook2
#13Best production of RENT you've seen?
Posted: 2/15/18 at 8:24pm

Saw it on Broadway but not with OBC. Hated it.
Saw it several years ago at Tulane Summer Lyrc theater in New Orleans & loved it!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#14Best production of RENT you've seen?
Posted: 2/15/18 at 8:45pm

Are you asking me?  If it was the final performance, the it was back on track for that, I guess.  For several years before, it started turning into a hot mess, which was a real shame.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

denali.fire Profile Photo
denali.fire
#15Best production of RENT you've seen?
Posted: 2/16/18 at 8:10am

I saw this via a lottery ticket the night before it opened. Can't beat that and the original cast.

To seek revenge may lead to hell yet everyone does it but seldom as well......

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#16Best production of RENT you've seen?
Posted: 2/16/18 at 9:05am

BwayLB said: "The only production I've seen is the 20th anniversary tour"

Seeing this in six weeks. Very excited! Unfortunately it’s playing at the cavernous Heinz Hall, same place I saw “Fun Home” and “Dirty Dancing”, but those shows held up well there so I’m sure “Rent” won’t get swallowed up either. Good thing I have front row balcony seats. Best production of RENT you've seen? 

Christopher P Groves
#17Best production of RENT you've seen?
Posted: 2/16/18 at 5:02pm

I saw the touring around 2006 and it was good, but the 20th Anniversary cast was great.  

Alex172005
#18Best production of RENT you've seen?
Posted: 2/16/18 at 5:11pm

I’ve only ever seen the one recorded on broadway, and the 20th anniversary tour, and oh boy the tour was so great. Nothing against the recorded cast, but the one I saw on tour was great.

Updated On: 2/17/18 at 05:11 PM

thejcm Profile Photo
thejcm
#19Best production of RENT you've seen?
Posted: 2/16/18 at 9:43pm

I've never seen anything outside of the tours of the original production so I would have to say that the best of those (to me) was the 2003 non-equity cast. It may have been because it was the height of my obsession with the show but it was during a time when the fanbase seemed to collectively agree that the Broadway production had gone a little stale with a lot of career Rent actors rotating in and out, and the non-equity production had recently reopened with a cast of energetic unknowns. The cast included a pre-Idol Constantie Maroulis as Roger, Rebecca (Pre-Naomi) Jones as Joanne (and the Mimi u/s), and later on Aaron Tveit (but I can't remember if he came along with the group that started in the 2004 cast). Again, I fully admit the nostalgia-goggles are firmly fixed to my face but not even seeing Anthony and Adam in their original roles matched that cast for me.

For perspective, I saw 3 different casts with that non-equity tour (The Collins Tour) in 2003, 2004, and 2006 (I think) in addition to the Broadway Tour with Adam Pascal, Anthony Rapp, and Gwen Stewart reprising their OBC roles, and the 20th Anniversary Tour when it opened in Lexington last year.

"Who says you can't bend over backwards and eat bugs if you want to? I guess the bugs would probably say you can't do that that, but assuming that they are willing and consenting bugs, then there's no problem. Let's wig out eating bugs." -RuPaul

lucas_glenn
#20Best production of RENT you've seen?
Posted: 2/17/18 at 2:49am

haterobics said: "Mister Matt said: "It wasn't until thelive filming that it started getting back on track again."

"

It was filmed twice, once on the actual closing date and once on August 20, 2008. Then the two films were mashed together. 

Updated On: 2/17/18 at 02:49 AM

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#21Best production of RENT you've seen?
Posted: 3/18/18 at 8:38pm

lucas_glenn said: "It was filmed twice, once on the actual closing date and once on August 20, 2008. Then the two filmswere mashed together."

After listening to the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack for the past week and trying to understand why this was sounding more like a rock musical I looked it up and YouTube and found this film. RENT is nothing, nothing what I imagined it to be. And it’s much more than a rock musical - more like a rock opera, I guess? Almost no talking except for the narration by Mark and minors bits here and there.

I’m going to have to watch it a couple more times before going up to Pittsburgh in two weeks to see the 20th Anniversary Tour. This will take some getting use to compared to the more traditional Broadway shows I’ve seen which had changing sets and a broad mix of extensive dialogue mixed in with the musical numbers. 

Updated On: 3/18/18 at 08:38 PM

Videos